The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rehoming Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Mmmmm can see where your all coming from I have the utmost respect for the breeders of my dogs but that does not mean they have the right to take back any of my dogs should i not be able to keep them. It may be that I would be happy to let them go to one breeder but not another, it depends on how the dogs would be kept and WHAT THE DOGS ARE USED TO. It matters not one jot that they are pleased to see you if they are then put in an out door kennel when they are used to living in. As all whippet owners know it is easy to bring a kennel dog in but NOT to put a house dog out. Breeders should definately be kept informed but that is where it should end as there is nothing to say their efforts at anew home would be anymore a guarantee than the efforts of the owner. :D Jan

I really think this is all down to the individual person & what you feel is right & what you feel happy with.

I know both ends of the scale, as a breeder i supply a contract, you either agree & sign or quite simply go elsewhere, not a problem, no one is forcing anyone to buy a puppy under conditions they dont agree with.

As a purchaser, i have been more than happy to sign a contract & to be honest have felt happier buying a pup from people i considered cared than from someone who parted with a pup without a backward glance & has never kept in touch since.

I think most people have the pups best interest at heart BUT i have to say from my own personal experience as sad as it is to say, having been burnt once, i would now trust NO ONE & always have something legally binding drawn up. This is only my personally preference :thumbsup:

I have sold my 2 litters to friends .... with a few that needed to go to strangers, but I did refuse people .....Like you Nina, I (along with others) got burnt by friends ....Even though I have ALL my pups tattooed so I know if lost, there's a chance they'll come back to me .....I will NOW draw up a correctly worded legal paper under a solicitor IF I ever breed again, and I will make sure it is a legally binding piece of paper :thumbsup:

Most of my pups from the last litter left home some 5 weeks ago, I have heard from each of them that they arrived without being car sick (except Eugenie, who I delivered, and who was carsick), and again in a week or so that they settled in well etc. Now, month plus on i am just itching to find out how are they doing, but if i contact the owners will i be considered interfering bitch or caring breeder??? :) :unsure:

If I get an animal from somebody I send them several updates to start with and then about year later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, month plus on i am just itching to find out how are they doing, but if i contact the owners will i be considered interfering bitch or caring breeder??? original.gif unsure.gif

Caring breeder :thumbsup: .....I'm lucky all of my lot phone most weeks and send me photos, updates etc ....But then I guess I'm lucky and see all of my lot most weeks/months ....

Strike Whippets said:
I have sold my 2 litters to friends .... with a few that needed to go to strangers, but I did refuse people .....Like you Nina, I (along with others) got burnt by friends ....Even though I have ALL my pups tattooed so I know if lost, there's a chance they'll come back to me .....I will NOW draw up a correctly worded legal paper under a solicitor IF I ever breed again, and I will make sure it is a legally binding piece of paper :thumbsup:

So sorry to hear you got "burnt" too. :(

Always worse when you have genuinely considered the people to be "friends" you just dont expect it.

To be honest, once was enough for me & made me NEVER want to breed again, if you cant trust so called "friends" who can you trust :wacko:

Seraphina said:
Most of my pups from the last litter left home some 5 weeks ago, I have heard from each of them that they arrived without being car sick (except Eugenie, who I delivered, and who was carsick), and again in a week or so that they settled in well etc.  Now, month plus on i am just itching to find out how are they doing, but if i contact the owners will i be considered interfering bitch or caring breeder???  :)   :unsure:
If I get an animal from somebody I send them several updates to start with and then about year later.

i would consider you a caring breeder if you contacted me after having one of your pups.

ive always made contact after ive got home with mine,as i personally would want to know myself too.

my first two pups was from the same breeder and i have kept in contact with her,emails and visiting.

my third pup i have no contact with reason been ive had no reply from emails so presume the breeder isnt interested.

my fourth pup which i get this saturday,im sure we will keep intouch with wendy and i will be putting updates on k9 regularly :lol:

i say contact them seraphina,im sure they would be pleased to hear from you. would show me that you still cared for the pup :thumbsup:

I think quite a lot of us get our fingers burnt, :( but i think thats the chance you have to take, quite a few of ours have gone to pet homes, :thumbsup: where they are very well loved and cared for, we dont see them as much as we"d like but the majority do keep in touch, the internet has also made it a lot easier as we have pups all over the country from the top of scotland down to southampton, we have even had e/mails from people who"ve had pups from years ago and lost contact get in touch, as they"ve found us through our website. We also dont breed unless we have orders, we are doing a mating mybe the end of this year beginning of next and have had 4 pups ordered since 2006, 2 of these have already got pups from us and are waiting patiently :huggles:

There are breeders out there that love their dogs and want the best for the litters they breed and make sure they go to right homes and make it clear from the outset, they will take them back and would like to be updated etc.

And there are people out there that breed litters and don't really bother about their dogs or the puppies and will home then to anybody.

Now we all hope when a pup is homed its a forever home but sometimes it doesn't work out due to many reasons and in an ideal world most folk would go back to the breeder for help but we all know this often doesn't happen.

All that can be hoped for is that the pup and sometimes adult is placed in a new forever home that is a loving and caring environment.

The person I got Inca from has never contacted me or I him but I got Dippy from a K9er and we've kept in touch.

Paula Roberts said:
I think quite a lot of us get our fingers burnt, :(   but i think thats the chance you have to take, quite a few of ours have gone to pet homes, :thumbsup:   where they are very well loved and cared for, we dont see them as much as we"d like but the majority do keep in touch, the internet has also made it a lot easier as we have pups all over the country from the top of scotland down to southampton, we have even had e/mails from people who"ve had pups from years ago and lost contact get in touch, as they"ve found us through our website. We also dont breed unless we have orders, we are doing a mating mybe the end of this year beginning of next and have had 4 pups ordered since 2006, 2 of these have already got pups from us and are waiting patiently :huggles:
your a credit to whippet breeding paula and mark,its lovely to hear about your responsibility to each and every pup of yours. :thumbsup:

ps please dont show me your pups when they come you know im too soft touch and find whippets irresistable :p :lol:

Trish, would you be able to FIND a collar for 1, if not look in your wellies. :- "

Mark Roberts said:
Trish, would you be able to FIND a collar for 1, if not look in your wellies.  :- "
nah nah nah it wasnt me it was the man of the house typical or what :lol: :- "

With you and Lesley, Trish i could breed all year round and sell them just on the awwww factor, :lol: not long now till saturday. :huggles:

Paula Roberts said:
With you and Lesley, Trish i could breed all year round and sell them just on the awwww factor, :lol:   not long now till saturday. :huggles:
ive just looked at traceys post with ruso and its made waiting harder :(

we must be the only group of softies that meets up on a sunday to coo at each others dogs (w00t)

loved your 6 year old i saw on sunday ,what a baby :wub:

Dont be fooled by looks Trish, :lol: she may be small but in her head she thinks she"s a rottie and will take on the world, (w00t) no one believes us when we say she"s 6, they all think we mean 6 months, (w00t) her son is even smaller than her, but hes a little softie scared of his own shadow, :( maybe its because he was the only one and never had any rough & tumble with litter mates. :( plus he thinks hes human. :lol:

Paula Roberts said:
Dont be fooled by looks Trish, :lol:   she may be small but in her head she thinks she"s a rottie and will take on the world, (w00t)   no one believes us when we say she"s 6, they all think we mean 6 months, (w00t)   her son is even smaller than her, but hes a little softie scared of his own shadow, :( maybe its because he was the only one and never had any rough & tumble with litter mates. :(   plus he thinks hes human. :lol:
he sounds just perfect to me :wub:

Seraphina said:
Most of my pups from the last litter left home some 5 weeks ago, I have heard from each of them that they arrived without being car sick (except Eugenie, who I delivered, and who was carsick), and again in a week or so that they settled in well etc. Now, month plus on i am just itching to find out how are they doing, but if i contact the owners will i be considered interfering bitch or caring breeder??? :) :unsure:

I always keep in touch with the breeder/old owner when I have a new pup and have also kept in contact with the previous owner of my horse. I send photos regularly, plus a long letter with photos in a Xmas card. I have also spoken to both the breeder of Zair (my lurcher) several times and met up for a family reunion walk since he came to his forever home with us. I have also spoken to the previous owner of Zak (my horse) several times on the telephone - both Zair's breeder and Zak's previous home are both always pleased to hear from me and hear how the lads are getting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back