The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rehoming Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Mark Roberts said:
I find it interesting that most of the replys that say it should be up to the owner are from people who have never bred a litter? maybe when you have you'll probably have a differant perspective on it.
I wasn't actually saying that breeders shouldn't have any input into the rehoming process; one would hope they were concerned about the well-being and whereabouts of their dogs and in most instances would probably be able to sort out a vetted-home more quickly than the owner as they will have a waiting list. I can understand the frustration of seeing dogs that carry your kennel name and reputation end up in the hands of people who breed large numbers of puppies who seek use it as a marketing device, and may pass them on again when they have served their purpose :- "

However, there is the other end of the continuum where there are some people who seek to keep very close control on their line, which is essentially their canine 'brand' and go to great lengths to exert control over who may have their dogs and what they can do with them, and I do think there are some instances (hopefully very rare) where there may be a conflict of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think a good breeder would tell their puppy owners that if ever a problem arises in the future that they would take the pup back,and thats a good support what every new owner needs ,and i also think some owners would be capable of rehoming their dogs themselves in some instances and just letting the breeder know what as happened and maybe give details of where the dogs gone.

Mark Roberts said:
I find it interesting that most of the replys that say it should be up to the owner are from people who have never bred a litter? maybe when you have you'll probably have a differant perspective on it.
Aah but Mark, in some circumstances, going back to the breeder may not be in the best interests of the dog. For example, and this is off the top of my head, if you had a dog and were forced to rehome it, and that dog had been used to being an indoor pet for 4 years, would you want to return it to a breeder who kenneled their animals outside? I think I would want a cosy fireplace for mine. That is just an example, and a polite way of saying, not all breeders are as caring or reponsible as others(as of course you and Paula are :) )

very true Joanne , i had a whippet in rescue a while back , the papers came with the dog but i also knew the "breeder" and there was no way that dog was going back there :x

so i did not inform the breeder that i had there dog in rescue but found it a lovely home myself.

i totally agree that in MOST cases the breeder SHOULD be the first port of call if a problem arises and that any breeder worth there salt will do everything to help the dog and owners alike.

there was a contract that went with Monty that does state at ANY time throughout his life , even if he was 10 yrs old and medical problems , that he must be returned to me , in saying that if his owners rang me and said they couldnt cope or circumstances had changed but they had a lovely home lined up for him then i would work with them and help them all i could :thumbsup:

Exactly Sharon, we as breeders are there to help our owners, i have never interfered or took over a pup that has been bred by us, whilst it has been with its owners we are there as back up should things go wrong, Luckily any one with any problems has contacted us and we"ve been able to help out, which is to me only what any decent breeder who believes they are responsible for the dog for life would do. :cheers:

>I am not sure if I agree with what Beejay has said likening living creatures to inanimate objects.

I don't think that they are like in animate objects at all. It's how they are viewed by the law. Incidentally it is the fact that they are considered (in the eye's of the law) property just like a camera or piece of jewellery that the police HAVE to do something when they are reported as stolen.

I deliberately didn't make any comments vis morals in this matter as I don't know the people involved. (I made my reply BEFORE this was split from the original topic.)

Incidentally it is the fact that they are considered (in the eye's of the law) property just like a camera or piece of jewellery that the police HAVE to do something when they are reported as stolen.
Are you sure Barbera,

A few years back a dog we bred was stolen from the owners house, he was told by the police that attended (due to it being stolen after a break in at his house the dog being taken from a dog cage) that there was nothing the police could do as it wasn't wearing a collar? they said had it been wearing a collar they could prosecute the thief if found for stealing the collar but not for stealing the dog as they reconed you couldn't own an animal?.

I am sure Mark. The police 'get away' with not doing anything because dog owners don't know the law.

Dogs come under the Sale Of Goods Act and are therefore a chattel or 'good' which makes the theft of a dog equal to having your car, watch, wallet etc. stolen. This means that the police MUST log them on their computer if they have been stolen. Owners MUST insist on them being given a crime number when they report a dog as stolen to the police.

If a breeder wants to be sure they have a say in a pup's future, is it not possible to own the pup in partnership. I think this is normally done for showing / breeding purposes, but presumably it is an option with pet puppies .

Ive had to re-home my breeding from 12 weeks to 10 years (But only 4 all told :blink: ) Where possible I had them go from unwanted home to forever home without the upset of coming back here for a week or too and then off again. Much better for the dog concerned I think . Providing I know the dog has gone on to a super home , either found by me or previous owner is irelevent :cheers:

Providing I know the dog has gone on to a super home , either found by me or previous owner is irelevent
That says it all really Jax and encompasses all view points. I admire breeders who do take a lifelong interest in the welfare of their litters, and I am sure this is generally the case. Most of us are lucky enough to know the support is their should we need it. I just think that when you are talking about a living creature who has become a family member, it isn't always the solution to automatically pass back to the breeder. Again in certain situations it may be more appropriate for the dog to go to a family member, close friend, or neighbour who they are familiar with and could continue to see the person forced to give them up from time to time. Again, no black and white, all cases need to be individually assessed. I would however, say that I would not support a dog going into rescue if the breeder wanted to have the opportunity to take in or rehome, that is completely different.

My pups go with a contract that says I will take them back for their lifetime. It is a commitment from me, that even if they have lost contact with me, though I really do hope that I hear from the new owner and so far have been very lucky in that respect, that I will still want the dog back at any age. I explain that if they have someone who would love to have their dog, then providing they let me know and I can have the same agreement with the new person then that should be fine. Personally, I feel responsible for the lives I brought into the world. Obviously, having a lot of adult dogs come back would be expensive and time consuming (w00t) BUT, it is the right and only thing to do should the need arise. It is certainly NOT about control OR money, just care, commitment and decency. :D

Juley said:
My pups go with a contract that says I will take them back for their lifetime. It is a commitment from me, that even if they have lost contact with me, though I really do hope that I hear from the new owner and so far have been very lucky in that respect, that I will still want the dog back at any age. I explain that if they have someone who would love to have their dog, then providing they let me know and I can have the same agreement with the new person then that should be fine. Personally, I feel responsible for the lives I brought into the world. Obviously, having a lot of adult dogs come back would be expensive and time consuming (w00t) BUT, it is the right and only thing to do should the need arise. It is certainly NOT about control OR money, just care, commitment and decency. :D

Absolutely 100% my sentiments, good for you :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
I would inform the breeder out of courtesy if the animal was very young, but if they were older, and I had not ever had any contact with the breeder since purchase, I am not sure that I would feel obliged.
I think this is a valid point too - I know of breeders who send xmas or birthday cards to their pups and owners :huggles: , but I guess there are plenty who just assume that no news is good news? It would be very difficult to ask for help from a breeder who hasn't taken any interest in pup they sold many years ago :(

Joanna said:
Mark Roberts said:
Aah but Mark, in some circumstances, going back to the breeder may not be in the best interests of the dog. For example, and this is off the top of my head, if you had a dog and were forced to rehome it, and that dog had been used to being an indoor pet for 4 years, would you want to return it to a breeder who kenneled their animals outside? I think I would want a cosy fireplace for mine. That is just an example, and a polite way of saying, not all breeders are as caring or reponsible as others(as of course you and Paula are :) )

I absolutely agree with you Joanna If god forbid i died and my whips who are so used to indoor sofas long free runs etc had to be homed i would be mortified if my relatives returned my dogs to their breeders where they would be kennelled, fine if thats what their used to but traunatising if not. In fact i would HAUNT them, the relatives that is!!!!!!

Yes i do think the breeders have aright to know and the oppertunity to help but it is not always the best for the dog or the owner :- " jan

I signed a contract with my whippet breeder and also with the RSPCA for two of my rescues...which has given me peace of mind :- "

I know i couldn't breed...the home checks I would do for my puppies....well...any new owners would have to pass a strict set of expectations (w00t)

Joanna - i do agree with you.

Chloe is 4 this year and i haven't heard from her breeder since the day i got her. If for some horrendous reason she had to be rehomed, i would be perfectly capable of finding her the home I know she needs. The breeders have not shown any interest and to be honest, i wouldn't inform them as i don't rate them. Chloe was lucky she got a good home but i don't think they were fussy who had the pups :- " Hence, i wouldn't send her back there.

trish g said:
Joanna said:
OEH said:
Seraphina said:
I would take back any of my pups if necessary, or would like to be consulted about them being rehomed.   I also take in ANY Whippet in need.  But i find it very patronising to suggest that the dog's owner is not capable of finding good home for their dog.  Ideally if dog has to be rehomed it should go directly to his new home.  Not to come here, get settled, and then to go somewhere else again.  That is just not fair to the dog.

I completely agree with you, it does seem more unfair on the pup to move it around any more than is necessary.

If I had to rehome any of my animals(God forbid), I would prefer to find them a home myself where I would be confident that they were going to be settled and loved. I would inform the breeder out of courtesy if the animal was very young, but if they were older, and I had not ever had any contact with the breeder since purchase, I am not sure that I would feel obliged. I have to say, none of my dogs have ever come with contracts. I would say that if the breeder felt I was a suitable home initially, then I can't see why I wouldn't be a suitable judge for the new home.

I can see both sides of the argument, and I know that many breeders would of course wish to have a young pup back in certain circumstances. Sometimes though, things aren't black and white and this is a subject which will draw different opinions and of course, heightened emotions :sweating:

got to agree with you 100% there joanna

Mark Roberts said:

I think its comendable a breeder who will take back a dog no matter what, which I know you would Mark I also wouldn't hesitate to contact you as a breeder to see if you knew of any potential homes, BUT even though I've never bred a litter I would have to be the person who rehomed mine( which god forbid hope I never will), I couldn't rest if I didnt know exactley what kind of people and home they were going to.

Don't get me wrong I hope that if and when I breed a litter any owner would feel able to ask me for help should they need it at any stage and of course I would always take a dog back but would also understand someone in my position who wanted to find the best possible home themselves, I would just hope they would feel they could let me know.

I would also never sign a contract making any commitments to the breeders my dogs are mine and I make all the decisions for them, but I also wouldn't expect someone else to sign one either, if you stay on good terms and a new owner who knows you will help no matter what then you would probably be the first port of call should they need you anyway :)

I should have also said if I ever had to rehome Spry she would go back to the breeder, who would have to keep her forever(just so you are prepared Lampy) don't make a space though she won't need it :D

Breeders and buyers can become very good friends :huggles:

Why did this thread start half way through, what happened to the first part :unsure: :blink:

*Lesley* said:
I would also never sign a contract making any commitments to the breeders my dogs are mine and I make all the decisions for them, but I also wouldn't expect someone else to sign one either, if you stay on good terms and a new owner who knows you will help no matter what then you would probably be the first port of call should they need you anyway :)
I totally understand where your coming from Lesley as we all know how much you value your dogs. Unfortunately with time and experience of breeding no matter how well you think you know someone you can on accasion get your fingers burnt as unfortunately some K9ers did recently :( I can't blame anyone for wanting to draw out a contract on their dogs and those really experienced in these matters take it so far as to draw out a legally binding contract with a solicitor. They shouldn't feel they have to but this does give some peace of mind and to be honest I wouldn't find it offensive if I was requested to sign either, I just see it as the breeder wishing to ensure care of their offspring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back