Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rehoming Puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayp

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=8pt][Mod note - Jayp did not start this topic - it was split from another discussion (by another moderator) and in response to a post in the original topic so looks like she was the originator][/SIZE]

In answer to your general question. Breeders do have a moral obligation to take back a puppy they have bred and most are more than happy to do so,this is usually made clear on purchase and gives the breeder the chance to keep track of their pups and thir wellbeing. There are certain restrictions or endorsements that can be put in place by the breeder, the purchaser however must be made aware of these and asked to sign teir agreement. Hope this answers your question :D jan

[SIZE=8pt]edited to put Mod Note in as requested by Jan[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Please lets not let this turn into a battle ground yet again!!

Alfyn has tried to keep this topic as diplomatic as possible and has stated that Emily would have been a good home BUT the pup is now back with the breeders whom should have been contacted as a first point of call when Katti decided she could no longer keep the pup.

beaubeau said:
I was disappointed to receive a rather abrupt and somewhat rude PM from Alfyn earlier today.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was most certainly NOT abrupt or rude!!! :angry:

If you're so interested in finding out if breeders have a legal right to claim back puppies,why not start a new thread on this topic? :blink:

alfyn said:
beaubeau said:
I was disappointed to receive a rather abrupt and somewhat rude PM from Alfyn earlier today.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was most certainly NOT abrupt or rude!!! :angry:

If you're so interested in finding out if breeders have a legal right to claim back puppies,why not start a new thread on this topic? :blink:

Thank you Jan, a lovely explanation :)

As far I'm aware from very experienced breeders of different breeds the contracts don't stand up in a court of law.

At the end of the day as much as most of us would prefer to think otherwise, puppies are sold just like cars and sofa's. So any new owners have the right to sell or give away their puppies/dogs as they see fit and they have no obligation to contact the breeder at all.

We Always will take back any dog that we have bred throughout its life time for whatever reason, :thumbsup: but saying this not all owners contact the breeders if something goes wrong, :( we have been lucky in the 2 owners that had trouble contacted us straight away, :thumbsup: but we did hear last year from a lady who had bought an older dog off someone and got in touch with us as his breeders, we didnt know that this dog had been rehomed, :angry: but the lady had assured us if anything happens in the future we can have him back. :thumbsup: Legally you dont have a leg to stand on if the owners dont want you to have them back as we found out a few weeks ago. :rant:

I would take back any of my pups if necessary, or would like to be consulted about them being rehomed. I also take in ANY Whippet in need. But i find it very patronising to suggest that the dog's owner is not capable of finding good home for their dog. Ideally if dog has to be rehomed it should go directly to his new home. Not to come here, get settled, and then to go somewhere else again. That is just not fair to the dog.

Seraphina said:
I would take back any of my pups if necessary, or would like to be consulted about them being rehomed.  I also take in ANY Whippet in need.  But i find it very patronising to suggest that the dog's owner is not capable of finding good home for their dog.  Ideally if dog has to be rehomed it should go directly to his new home.  Not to come here, get settled, and then to go somewhere else again.  That is just not fair to the dog.

I completely agree with you, it does seem more unfair on the pup to move it around any more than is necessary.

OEH said:
Seraphina said:
I would take back any of my pups if necessary, or would like to be consulted about them being rehomed.   I also take in ANY Whippet in need.  But i find it very patronising to suggest that the dog's owner is not capable of finding good home for their dog.  Ideally if dog has to be rehomed it should go directly to his new home.  Not to come here, get settled, and then to go somewhere else again.  That is just not fair to the dog.

I completely agree with you, it does seem more unfair on the pup to move it around any more than is necessary.

If I had to rehome any of my animals(God forbid), I would prefer to find them a home myself where I would be confident that they were going to be settled and loved. I would inform the breeder out of courtesy if the animal was very young, but if they were older, and I had not ever had any contact with the breeder since purchase, I am not sure that I would feel obliged. I have to say, none of my dogs have ever come with contracts. I would say that if the breeder felt I was a suitable home initially, then I can't see why I wouldn't be a suitable judge for the new home.

I can see both sides of the argument, and I know that many breeders would of course wish to have a young pup back in certain circumstances. Sometimes though, things aren't black and white and this is a subject which will draw different opinions and of course, heightened emotions :sweating:

I think as a breeder the only way of making sure that a puppy is returned to you if circumstances change etc is to have a legally binding contract drawn up by a solicitor which the new owners sign before the sale goes ahead.

This can include anything from re-homing issues to breeding etc & as long as all parties are happy & the contract signed then all should be well.

The KC endorsements regarding breeding & exporting are next to useless & wont stand up in a court of law or even with the KC themselves without a legally binding contract.

I personally would NEVER now sell a puppy without such a contract & if the potential owner was hesitant about signing it then they would be looking else where for a pup. :thumbsup:

I for one would always , at any stage of a dogs life , 10 weeks or 10 years old would take a dog back that i had bred .

if anyone who had a pup off me had to rehome it later in life i would like them to consult me if they had a new home lined up , that way the owner , myself and the prospective owner would all be in the know and i could help check suitability of the new home etc and the dog would only have one move BUT if they wanted me to take the dog back then i would , no questions asked.

i was talking to a "breeder" :- " a few weeks ago and they said they would NOT take a dog back if it was old :unsure: i PERSONALLY think that I am responsible for bringing that puppy in the world and i would not ever refuse to take one back even if it was old or poorly :thumbsup:

JMHO :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
OEH said:
Seraphina said:
I would take back any of my pups if necessary, or would like to be consulted about them being rehomed.   I also take in ANY Whippet in need.  But i find it very patronising to suggest that the dog's owner is not capable of finding good home for their dog.  Ideally if dog has to be rehomed it should go directly to his new home.  Not to come here, get settled, and then to go somewhere else again.  That is just not fair to the dog.

If I had to rehome any of my animals(God forbid), I would prefer to find them a home myself where I would be confident that they were going to be settled and loved. I would inform the breeder out of courtesy if the animal was very young, but if they were older, and I had not ever had any contact with the breeder since purchase, I am not sure that I would feel obliged. I have to say, none of my dogs have ever come with contracts. I would say that if the breeder felt I was a suitable home initially, then I can't see why I wouldn't be a suitable judge for the new home.

I can see both sides of the argument, and I know that many breeders would of course wish to have a young pup back in certain circumstances. Sometimes though, things aren't black and white and this is a subject which will draw different opinions and of course, heightened emotions :sweating:

got to agree with you 100% there joanna

BeeJay said:
As far I'm aware from very experienced breeders of different breeds the contracts don't stand up in a court of law.
At the end of the day as much as most of us would prefer to think otherwise, puppies are sold just like cars and sofa's.  So any new owners have the right to sell or give away their puppies/dogs as they see fit and they have no obligation to contact the breeder at all.

Well, I always get my purchasers to sign a contract. I realise it probably does not stand up in court but it might just make the new owner stop and think before doing anything else with the dog.

I am not sure if I agree with what Beejay has said likening living creatures to inanimate objects. However, if that is the way purchasers think, that they have no obligation to the breeder, why is it that they think they have the right to ring up and complain if the dog is seriously ill at some time in its lifetime. Yes, I am always interested in how dogs that I have bred are faring and if one turned out to have some awful genetic disease I would wish to know but, at the end of the day, I am not into just churning out puppies for the sake of it with no thought gone into their breeding or health so why do some purchasers take the stance that IT IS THE BREEDER'S FAULT, whatever illness the dog has suffered????

OEH said:
Seraphina said:

ditto :thumbsup:

From what I've heard, I would wonder whether some instances of the breeder wanting to rehome themselves has more to do with ensuring show or non-show home for that individual, above other considerations :- "

I can see both sides of the debate. I do think breeders should credit owners with more sense and discretion as to how they rehome their pups, if the worst came to the worst (as it did in my case, and yes I contacted the breeder first, as soon as I'd made my decision).

However, I do think a puppy contract is a good thing, even if it isn't legally binding. It's awful having to go back to the breeder to say you've failed and can't cope because of circumstances, but if there's an understanding in writing at the time of purchase, it does make the new owner aware that the breeder is there for you if you need help and they are a caring breeder.

I do think the breeder should be informed, no matter what decision is taken. This gives them the option to intervene if they are concerned about the rehoming in any way or to help even if it means from a distance. However, I do feel it is the owner's final decision, not the breeder's, as to how the rehoming is conducted.

We offer all our pups we"ve bred homes with us if things dont work out for there owners this could be ANYTIME in the dogs life, no one knows what situation your going to be in years ahead, the owners may not be able to find a home for them, if they can, and its a home they know then ok, but what if its someone they dont know would the poor dog just be passed from pillar to post for the rest of its days.

And as for the breeder who wont take back OLD dogs they should be ASHAMED of themselves. :rant:

From what I've heard, I would wonder whether some instances of the breeder wanting to rehome themselves has more to do with ensuring show or non-show home for that individual, above other considerations  :- "

Well i cant speak for anyone other than myself on this BUT i can only say that it certainly would NEVER be a consideration as far as i was concerned. :eek:

On the whole i like a pup to go to a lovely family environment as a pet first & foremost.

I can only speak of the breeders i know BUT showing is always secondary & the home & the pups welfare is always the priority or should be anyway :thumbsup:

Showing is such a small insignificant part of the animals life but a home hopefully if all works out should be for the duration of its life.

I think breeders who do stipulate that the pup is always returned to them whether it is still a pup or an older dog do so with an insight into either then keeping the dog themselves, which i would do, feeling that as the home had not worked out i would want the dog back home with me or the fact they do not then want the dog passed from piller to post & perhaps end up losing track of them.

Its each to their own i guess & we all have a different way of doing things, but i'm sure most people's priority is wanting what is best for the dog & getting the very best of homes. :)

I find it interesting that most of the replys that say it should be up to the owner are from people who have never bred a litter? maybe when you have you'll probably have a differant perspective on it.

Mark Roberts said:
I find it interesting that most of the replys that say it should be up to the owner are from people who have never bred a litter? maybe when you have you'll probably have a differant perspective on it.

I totally agree with that :thumbsup:

Most breeders feel a strong responsibility for ANY pup that they have bought into the world no matter what age it now is :)

Mark Roberts said:

Yes...I guess you get very attached to the pups, feel responsible for them, and don't want to lose contact. I can understand that.

I did say the breeders must be kept informed, so they have the option to intervene if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back