The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

rocco one for the ladies

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
thanks for your replys i have taken some pictures of him , our vet says he is under weight he was fathered by guru king if this makes a difference , he has been mated and made 27 litters of 147 puppys according to his records 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

I would keep him on the leaner side ...regularly check his nails on his back legs as their back legs are usually higher the nails dont always wear down and can grow and embed into the pads quite easily ...we use a dremel type nail file
His body condition looks perfect

Also with the spinal issues they can have, keeping his weight down will put less strainon him.

hi thanks for all your advice , we are noticeing that rocco seems to be humping fresh air and laying down on his tummy and movieing forward like he is rubbing on the floor we cannot see anything wrong with his apart from his pink around his folds on his face , when we was up the park yesterday there was 2 dogs 1 was female and 1 male both small dogs the male was having a go at rocco , today again 2 dogs 1 female and 1 male had a go at rocco but all roco was doing at both times was sniffing them , we was told yesterday that a french buudog has locking jaws , are french bull dogs classed as fighting dogs our concern is if rocco retaliates what possible damage could he do , since we have had rocco he has not shown any sign of being a aggressive dog ..

No dogs Have Locking jaws ...people used to say that about Bull terriers ..with Bull terriers have a very strong bite but not locking jaws ...
Alot of dogs do not like frenchies as they have a flat face and no tail ...dogs read each other by body language and they can find frenchies hard to read ...hence the growling ...
The humping can be excitement or stress ...my lot love rubbing their bellies along the floor it gives them a good scratch. ....
Frenchies are definitely Not classed as fighting dogs ...they are usually exceptional family friendly dogs

They are not fighting dogs so put your mind at rest.I have A Bull terrier and have been asked why I have a Pit Bull:DLiam looks nothing like a Pit Bull .Bull terriers are also a very windy breed but feeding raw is like a miracle cure for Bull breeds there are many raw feeders on this forum so if you would like to give it a go many of us on here feed raw so just ask:)

You can always put a light layer of sudocreme on his folds of his face too ..

all roco was doing at both times was sniffing them ,

A lot of dogs don't like being sniffed - it might be a better idea to just avoid him doing that.

thanks for your advice we have only noticed him humping air once it was just after we got up our selfs , he does like his tummy and neck tickled and he has shown signs of smiles which was nice to see , he did sniff a small female yesterday who didnt take any notice it was the male who was not to happy all though he had not been done the same as rocco , we have noticed that sometimes he will scratch / rub right side of face so not sure if his pick skin issue is causing a problem, we was advised by the vets that we have to help rocco wash him self is this every where ?

we was advised by the vets that we have to help rocco wash him self is this every where ?

Wash him where he can't reach himself. But if he has skin problems, you could just use warm water rather than any products that might irritate him. A wipe with a wet flannel could be enough.

hi thanks for your advice , we saw the vets and was advised to use hibiscrub on his pink areas but they all so said dont get it in his eyes ,face.jpg

Make sure hibiscrub is dilutedwith warm water ...bathe the area and dry throughly and i would put a thin layer of sudocreme on ...it will help the healing and make it feel less itchy

put a thin layer of sudocreme on

If you have to use it long term, try not to let him lick it as it contains zinc. I don't know how much would have to be consumed to make him ill but just be aware.

thanks for your advice , rocco does not seem to lick his face a lot ,he seems to lick his front paws more than any other part of his body , we are woundering if rocco suffers from seperation anxiety from me all though he does follow both of us but more with me as when i go out he will wine according to my wife when my wife goes out rocco wont wine , with raw food wont this make him more gassy as he can be quite smelly at times , rocco is all so going to the toilet in the night on the floor but he didnt do this in the first few days of having him

Raw food wont make him more gassy it should make him less ...are you letting him oit before you go to bed ...this could just be adjusting to his move with you ....does he pee or poo ...where does he sleep at night ...

rocco does go out before we go to bed , rocco does not really have a place to sleep he will go in a chair , sofa , floor , or my bed , he will pee and poo in the night , when we spoke to vets about him being gassy they said about his diet and we said he was being fed raw chicken wings with bone , raw beef , and royal canin dry food vets said his dry food was a good food not to give him raw chicken down to salmonella posion ,

Vets talk rubbish its most like
likely the royal canin giving him gas ....you may need to feed him earlier ....he really needs his own bed ...does he sleep in your bedroom at night

You can buy raw food already prepared by narures menu you can buy it in nugget form so you dont have to touch lota of raw food ...i have been feeding all my dogs raw for years and have never had salmonella

thanks for your advice as we are having problems with his history from last owner/vets . we was informed by last owner he was having a bowl of food twice a day but unsure of weight of food plus raw , when we first bought his home he sniffed about as they would when it was time for bed we put a dog bed in my bedroom where another dog was before we lost him we pushed the bedroom door closed and rocco started to wine so now we leave the bedroom door open and he deceides where he wants to sleep most of the time it is on my bed all though he has a dog bed available , when we have dinner we give him his food but most of the time he is after our dinner which make me think he was hand fed table scraps, i think the vets are worried about the chicken bone its self splintering . when i told the last owner he was begging she said to give him more raw food but vets say no as we cannot seem to get his past history at the moment is there anything we can do as the vets said if we dont get any info then he would have to restart his injection/jabs again .. we have also noticed some tarter on canines vet advised chicken tooth paste and use your finger , is it safe to use your fingers in him mouth.

The most noticeable difference when we put our dog onto raw food was that his previously dreadful wind cleared up pretty much overnight. I know many people who have raw fed their dogs for years and never had problems with salmonella or splintering bones. (Cooked bones are a different matter - you should never feed them.)

It's absolutely fine to put your finger in his mouth to put the toothpaste on. Though again, raw feeding will really benefit his teeth.

If you do decide to give 100% raw feeding a go, it would be good if you could find a supplier who can talk you through the steps to make sure he gets a balanced diet - or look at a complete raw mix, like Kara suggested. If you do talk to a supplier, make sure to mention that he may have allergies, so they can bear that in mind.

How long have you had him for now? You might need to go back to basics with the overnight toilet training, as if he was a puppy - this would involve trying to work out what time he poos/pees at night, and setting your alarm to take him out before then.

Do you ever leave him completely on his own, and how does he manage then? If you don't know, it would be worth recording him so you can see if he's stressed at being on his own. For the time being, don't stop him if he follows you around the house - if he feels insecure, it's best to wait till he feels more secure before working on separation.

As far as begging at the table for leftovers goes - it doesn't really matter what happened with his previous owner. Decide what ground rules you want, and stick to them. Given the possibility of allergies, the safest approach is never to let him have anything from the table - particularly while you're eating, or you can expect to be pestered for ever more!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back