The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ruby And Star Went To Ringcraft

k4tie-d

StarR Collars
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
as its a new year, i thought we would have a go at as many new things as possible,

so we went to our first ring craft class on monday night. (w00t)

huge thank you to yvette (yvetteshort1) and her husband who came along just to help us we would have been lost with out you. :cheers: :cheers:

anyway we have been practising (not very successfully) but its only the first week.

my neighbour (lora) came along to help me with the girls so on monday she was incharge of star,

heres a pic of loras attempt from today, the table is rubbish, plus lora know nothing about showing so monday night was really the first time she had ever seen a dog stacked, so i think she did alright :)

DSC00163.jpg

and heres me with ruby,

DSC00164.jpg

what do you think? not the best attempts in the world but we are new to it so please go easy on us :sweating:

if anyone has any tips or hints they want to share, please do, we need all the help we can get (w00t)

Lucky you having David and Yvette on hand to give you lots of tips; I think that having someone experienced in showing whippets will help you no end.

Somewhere in between where you and Lora have placed their back feet would be spot on. Good first efforts though

Instead of trying to explain, which I would just be hopeless at, I've attached a photo of our Ruby so you can see how far stretched out they should be etc. Over or under stretching can change a dogs shape completely.

tUBA.jpg

Lucky you having David and Yvette on hand to give you lots of tips; I think that having someone experienced in showing whippets will help you no end.
Somewhere in between where you and Lora have placed their back feet would be spot on. Good first efforts though

Instead of trying to explain, which I would just be hopeless at, I've attached a photo of our Ruby so you can see how far stretched out they should be etc. Over or under stretching can change a dogs shape completely.

tUBA.jpg

thank you rachel, i see what you mean will have another go tomorrow :thumbsup:

yes david and yvette were a huge help, and we got to meet their lovely girls which was even better :wub: :wub:

You'll get there in no time.

Hope you and the girls both enjoyed yourselves. :)

Well done Katie, Id bet Trevor and Sonya would surely be proud of their girls.. :wub:

lure coursing and showing... go girl. :thumbsup:

Well done Katie, Id bet Trevor and Sonya would surely be proud of their girls.. :wub: lure coursing and showing... go girl. :thumbsup:

thanks janis, i hope so :)

new years resolution was to try somthing new, so ringcraft, lure coursing and hopfully racing when the clubs start back :thumbsup:

so we will find out what they are good at and like and what we like and see where it goes :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
well done katie for giving it a go and good luck with both your girls :luck:

well done katie just enjoy it hopefully we are going to be showing our dog puppy out of our first litter he is just 6mths old

i think he is lovely but we will have to see

:luck: :luck: with all your activities :)

They'll probably love all of them and keep you very busy :D . They look fab btw 8)

Yay so you'll be coming to some shows... :thumbsup: and racing too!

You'll learn a lot going to ring craft esp if you've got Yvette and David helping you out :thumbsup:

I've only been at it a wee while and I always overstretch Luna (Marie05 is always giving me into trouble :rant: :- :lol: ) I think one of the best tips I've learnt is to imagine a vertical line dropping down to the table from their bum and that's roughly where the toes of their back foot should be. I guess it must be different for some dogs but it more or less works and it's a good place to start, you'll find your 'eye' for each dog develops over time too. I've drawn a pics to show you the 'line' I'm wittering on about so you can see they're only a foots length out in either direction. I hope that's a help to you...

star.jpg

ruby.jpg

Hi Katie. Thats great you are trying new things. Thats very nice of Yvette and David to go along to help you out - but i would expect something like that from them, always happy to help. :thumbsup:

I agree with Rachel and Julie, Star is understretched and Ruby is over-stretched in those pics. Like Rachel said somewhere inbetween the two. Good tip from Julie with the line (just wish she would bloody take it on board herself!!) :rant: :teehee:

Best of luck :luck: :luck: to you with the girls whichever way you go, would be nice to meet you if you do decide to come to a couple of shows.

Marie. :huggles:

Yay so you'll be coming to some shows... :thumbsup: and racing too!
You'll learn a lot going to ring craft esp if you've got Yvette and David helping you out :thumbsup:

I've only been at it a wee while and I always overstretch Luna (Marie05 is always giving me into trouble :rant: :- :lol: ) I think one of the best tips I've learnt is to imagine a vertical line dropping down to the table from their bum and that's roughly where the toes of their back foot should be. I guess it must be different for some dogs but it more or less works and it's a good place to start, you'll find your 'eye' for each dog develops over time too. I've drawn a pics to show you the 'line' I'm wittering on about so you can see they're only a foots length out in either direction. I hope that's a help to you...

View attachment 63495

View attachment 63496

ooo right thats handy to know, i know the stand as iv looked at so many dogs on here stacked its just doing it is different,

i could see rubys wasnt right but before rachel said she was over streched i asumed it was down to being to close to the end of the table and leening the wrong way :oops:

will have another go tomorrow using thes pics as a referance and see how we get on.

the only thing how do you stop them jumping up when your walking up and down?

they were not to bad on monday but a total nightmare today :wacko:

That's just practice, practice, practice!

They need to recognise the difference between their show lead and their lead for going out on walks.

Hi, you could put some thick carpet or a car mat on the table, save trying to avoid the gaps! Its a case of practising, its amazing how soon you all get the hang of it.

Hi, you could put some thick carpet or a car mat on the table, save trying to avoid the gaps! Its a case of practising, its amazing how soon you all get the hang of it.
they were only on the table because the grass was to wet to kneel :-

will be practising in the house tomorrow i think, just on the floor :))

It was lovely to meet you, Lora and your beautiful girlies Ruby and Star on Monday night :wub:

We thought you both made an excellent first attempt of showing and with practice you will soon get the hang of it :)

Wishing you all the very best if you decide to show the girls or any hobby you take up :thumbsup:

Yvette :huggles:

Try practising in front of a mirror, one that can be put on the flooor would be best ,

keep your lead short, that way you dont have to have your hand so high in the air , and when she feels relaxed move your hand away from her head .

Ive been doing it over 25 years and still need the odd assistance :b

Good luck , Jackie

Well done to you all,at least you are giving it a go :thumbsup:

Hi

just have to ask where are you lure coursing the girls in scotland?

Fiona

xx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back