The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Running In Coats...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I would NEVER run them in coats no matter how secure there are made, I do not want accidents like broken bones.
I run my girls on the beach the chances of them get hooked up on anything are slim
I wasn't referring to getting hooked up on things, I was referring to get legs caught in the coat & I have seen it happen

I think our Cornish climate is a bit kinder than yours though, Ann :) Not today though, it is like Siberia

Mine are walked in coats. When I go outdoors I put my coat on so I am not cold, so the dogs have the same.

I would NEVER run them in coats no matter how secure there are made, I do not want accidents like broken bones.

Do atheletes run in coats no, do racehorses run in coats no but as soon as they stop they do put some form of cover on to keep the muscles warm
Most sensible post so far in this topic :thumbsup: as for letting dogs run in snow :teehee: why not blindfold them the rest of the year so they cant see what they're running into or whats under the snow? our greyhounds were taken out to empty with coats on first thing on a morning, never allowed to run in truly cold weather think about the dog getting warmed up but gulping in below freezing air not a good scenario

Mine are walked in coats. When I go outdoors I put my coat on so I am not cold, so the dogs have the same.

Do atheletes run in coats no, do racehorses run in coats no but as soon as they stop they do put some form of cover on to keep the muscles warm
Most sensible post so far in this topic :thumbsup: as for letting dogs run in snow :teehee: why not blindfold them the rest of the year so they cant see what they're running into or whats under the snow? our greyhounds were taken out to empty with coats on first thing on a morning, never allowed to run in truly cold weather think about the dog getting warmed up but gulping in below freezing air not a good scenario

so your saying no dog should be running in snow :blink:

racing greyhounds run in all weathers ok the track is not icy but they are still running gulping in freezing cold air as you say

if ann wants to run her girls in their coats then that is her choice, but she did ask whether she should or not

but if i were ann i wouldn't i would take them off let them have a blast then walk them back home in thier coats

Last edited by a moderator:

Always has to be someone doesn't there :clown: .

Why can't you come on and post your thoughts in a pleasant manner like

everyone else. You might have a valid point by why add the crap about

blinfolds..........because when your sarcastic like that it just wipes out any

good advice you might me giving people....not clever or needed

my girl had a good blast around the park this morning...we go there everyday and its quite safe.....whippets can have accidents while running regardless of the weather....so i think its up to the owner to make that choice....i normally take her coat off to run...but left it this morning as it was bitter out there !!!

God its good to be back :-

Having dogs is like bringing up children , everyone does things differently . As long as the dogs are healthy and happy nobody should be criticising anyone else for doing things their own way ;)

Having dogs is like bringing up children , everyone does things differently . As long as the dogs are healthy and happy nobody should be criticising anyone else for doing things their own way ;)

:thumbsup:

Quite :thumbsup:

I wasnt being sarcastic merely pointing out you or your dog cant see whats under the snow and pointing out would you run them in a blindfold to similar effect?

I'm so glad someone asked this - have been in two minds about it all winter. My two chase each other a lot and last winter when they were pups they'd use the coats to catch each other and drag down to the ground. My current thinking is that they stay warm when running around, but I put their coats on to and from the park. I hadn't thought about their coats as potential hazards - but now that it's been mentioned - I think I'll stick to the way I'm doing it.
The other reason, I'm glad of this thread is Hely's signature... How awesome is that? Brought a smile to my face!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I wasnt being sarcastic merely pointing out you or your dog cant see whats under the snow and pointing out would you run them in a blindfold to similar effect?
Whatever.......but half of K9 have posted picture of their hounds running in

Snow with no such remarks from you.......

Whatever.......but half of K9 have posted picture of their hounds running in

Snow with no such remarks from you.......

Sorry not to have replied to everyone else on K9 who have posted pictures of their hounds running in snow :p BUT annsa you started this topic "Running In Coats...is it wrong? I gave my opinion which I felt entitled to state, and then because it did n't vindicate you you retort to calling myself know who's the :clown: crack on till you find someone that agrees with you

this is what you wrote nellie :D

where does it say that you don't or do agree with wearing coats while running, as i can't find it

she asked for opinions but you didn't give one

I dont run my dogs in coats....

1. Because they can actually overheat ...even in cold temperatures...whippets are much hardier than what they look....

2. Because the coats could snag on bushes, trees etc....and Ive heard of some very very nasty accidents involving coats

even causing the dislocation of legs/limbs

3. Because its us as humans who usually think they are cold

Having said that my boys do wear well fitted coats but only on lead walks....usually in the evenings when they wont be off the lead, or early on their morning walks,

if its absolutely lashing down or blizzarding, and I have ben known to put their coats on after a good run.

I dont think its wrong for others to put coats, on their dogs...after all its the owners decision really, and especially on older dogs in my opinion or younger pups

that do need the extra warmth.

Personally I think I would leave coats on on the beach in this weather. They tend to gallop around with coats on, and don't tend to sprint like they would free of their coats. Most warm coats are restrictive (I know our dogs coats are) I don't think they would come to any great harm with them on. If it were just a little chilly I would take them off to run, and put them back on after - much as we do when we're racing.

As for running in the snow - so many dogs enjoy it. It also depends where they are running - on the beach for instance you wouldn't expect any large objects to be laying around, nor would I expect to find anything untoward in my garden which is where ours had a whizz round today. I would think there is just as much danger running them in long grass, but each owner knows their dogs and what they are capable of. One of mine is a complete numpty, and runs into things - he also bounces off, and doesn't seem to come to any harm :lol: My leg was a bit sore once when he ran into me though :angry: I watched him coming towards me, and I wondered which side of me he was going to go, but he didn't SMACK! straight into my shins - OUCH! He just bounced off happily on his way. I move now when he's coming!

i free run mine in the snow , carnt see what the difference is be it snow,grass or sand , once you let your dog/dogs off theres always a possibility one could get cut /injured . :blink:

Personally I think I would leave coats on on the beach in this weather. They tend to gallop around with coats on, and don't tend to sprint like they would free of their coats. Most warm coats are restrictive (I know our dogs coats are) I don't think they would come to any great harm with them on. If it were just a little chilly I would take them off to run, and put them back on after - much as we do when we're racing.
As for running in the snow - so many dogs enjoy it. It also depends where they are running - on the beach for instance you wouldn't expect any large objects to be laying around, nor would I expect to find anything untoward in my garden which is where ours had a whizz round today. I would think there is just as much danger running them in long grass, but each owner knows their dogs and what they are capable of. One of mine is a complete numpty, and runs into things - he also bounces off, and doesn't seem to come to any harm :lol: My leg was a bit sore once when he ran into me though :angry: I watched him coming towards me, and I wondered which side of me he was going to go, but he didn't SMACK! straight into my shins - OUCH! He just bounced off happily on his way. I move now when he's coming!
have to agree here...depends on where they are running too.....

my boys tend to run in fields where there are lots of fences, bushes, shrubs, wire...so the coats just would not be practical at all...

they would end up being left behind in a rabbit hole somewhere... :lol:

Sorry not to have replied to everyone else on K9 who have posted pictures of their hounds running in snow :p BUT annsa you started this topic "Running In Coats...is it wrong? I gave my opinion which I felt entitled to state, and then because it did n't vindicate you you retort to calling myself know who's the :clown: crack on till you find someone that agrees with you

Yes i asked about running in Coats not in Snow you Silly Billy :*

Read back other people have said they dont run theirs in coats did

i pick them up for it....no i stated i was listening to their points :))

If they were all agreeing with me what would be the point of the topic .

vin·di·cate (vnd-kt)

tr.v. vin·di·cat·ed, vin·di·cat·ing, vin·di·cates

1. To clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting arguments or proof

Now what on earth do i need to be vindicated for :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back