The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Savaged

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
JOHNG said:
i know you can't class all the staffs as dangerous but when you have gone through what i and chloe went through then you will realize what it is like, everytime i see a staff (and there is a lot about) i will walk in the opposite direction,and you allways seem to get the same quote of the owners oh he/she is allright soft as muck,thats what the owner said after hers had savaged chloe it's never done anything like that before she's as soft as muck with the kids, other dogs are the problem.
p.s. chloe as made a full recovery she is not nervous of other dogs because she as gone blind so can't see them.

As i said it is really terrible what your girl has gone through, :( and i cant comment on what it would be like as i havent gone through the same experience, all i meant was that it is very sad that staffies/bull terriers , etc do get stereotyped.

:( :( something like this happened to my dad n doody(malachi) wen he was alive my dad was walking him & this big massive dog off the lead came up and yanked a hole out off :rant: him n then wen its owner was shouting it it wouldnt listen so me dad was swearin at this dog n everythin n wen the man came ova 4 the dog he didnt even say is he alryt or nothing & my dad asked 4 his adress n name 4 the vet n the man was lyk p*ss off n walked away & my dog just had a massive hole in his belly u cud c his stomach muscles & eveythin it was horrific all dogs should b kept on leaders especially wen their owners can c there r other dogs about aswell :rant: :rant: :rant: but our doody was glad coz he got alot alot of lovin care & cuddles and loads of choclates n treats off my mam :huggles:

krystal x

Last edited by a moderator:
Staffies and bull terrier's are a total differnt breed of dog and look bugger all like each other :blink: ,,,yes my 3 were attcked by a black staffie just wandering about the town and he was out to kill. If Nemo had not slipped his collar and ran home he would be dead :angry: . I know not all staffies are out to kill or fight with other dogs but there are the few who tar the breed and the owners dont give a s**t :rant: . Tanyia on k9 has a staffie and he will meet my 2 kids and Ricky as Ricky still does not like other breeds as he is scared of them :( ,,with any luck Rachel, Gary and myself will get to like and trust this breed again. Ricky may take a while, but he got very nasty bite's from this dog and may take him a bit longer.

Susan said:
Staffies and bull terrier's are a total differnt breed of dog and look bugger all like each other  :blink: ,,,yes my 3 were attcked by a black staffie just wandering about the town and he was out to kill. If Nemo had not slipped his collar and ran home he would be dead  :angry: . I know not all staffies are out to kill or fight with other dogs but there are the few who tar the breed and the owners dont give a s**t  :rant: . Tanyia on k9 has a staffie and he will meet my 2 kids and Ricky as Ricky still does not like other breeds as he is scared of them  :( ,,with any luck Rachel, Gary and myself will get to like and trust this breed again. Ricky may take a while, but he got very nasty bite's from this dog and may take him a bit longer.
Yes, are totally different but people still seem to think our EBT is a staffie! Even though hes a pedigree EBT :wacko:

And regardless of looking different and being different they are still get classed the same.....as do Akitas, American pit bulls, dobermans, rottweilers and the like!

I know they are bad owners, i.e the skinhead 'mr hardmen' types and they annoy OH and I for helping give the breeds bad names!!!!! :rant:

Susan said:
Staffies and bull terrier's are a total differnt breed of dog and look bugger all like each other  :blink: ,,,yes my 3 were attcked by a black staffie just wandering about the town and he was out to kill. If Nemo had not slipped his collar and ran home he would be dead  :angry: . I know not all staffies are out to kill or fight with other dogs but there are the few who tar the breed and the owners dont give a s**t  :rant: . Tanyia on k9 has a staffie and he will meet my 2 kids and Ricky as Ricky still does not like other breeds as he is scared of them  :( ,,with any luck Rachel, Gary and myself will get to like and trust this breed again. Ricky may take a while, but he got very nasty bite's from this dog and may take him a bit longer.

whippynit said:
Susan said:
Yes, are totally different but people still seem to think our EBT is a staffie! Even though hes a pedigree EBT :wacko:

And regardless of looking different and being different they are still get classed the same.....as do Akitas, American pit bulls, dobermans, rottweilers and the like!

I know they are bad owners, i.e the skinhead 'mr hardmen' types and they annoy OH and I for helping give the breeds bad names!!!!! :rant:

Just to make one thing clear I am Susan's husband. I was walking the dog's that night they were attacked by a loose Staffi and trying to defend my dog's against this animal was hard to say the least. I was still in my work clothe's and was wearing steal toe cap boot's and when it became clear that I had to defend my dog's I tried to kick the s**t out of the Staffi and I got a few good kick's in that would have stopped many other dog's in their track's but it made no difference to this animal it felt nothing and the only thing that saved my dog's that night was that one of them slipped the collar and ran home the Staffi gave chase but thankfully it could not run as fast as it could attack I have to say at this piont I wished my dog that slipped the collar God speed as he was a pup and I thought the next time that I saw him he would be dead. This is not the first time that this has happened to me as years ago a dog of mine who broke a leg and had to have it amputated was on it's way to the vet to have his stich's taken out and was being walked over to the car when it was attacked by what looked like a Staffi x and the only thing that saved him was that he was wearing a dog jacket and when he got free he jumped into the car and the door was slammed shut to keep the other dog away. I am by no meen's having a go at Staffi owner's as I agree that there are no bad dog's only bad owners and I am only sharing my experiance's with you but the next dog that has a go at mine will take what it get's.

to class breeds like pit bulls,staffys and english bull terriers with yorkies and labs and jack russells is like classing a gladiator with an office clerk! (w00t) lets be honest, breeds like the former can inflict horrific damage on a whippy or any other breed in a very short period of time.the folk who are attracted to these breeds these days unfortunately seem to be drug dealers and chav scum.sorry but thats the type of people who own them around where we live.they ARE a stereotype.they have tattoos,shaven heads,adidas or nike track suits and the pit bull/staffy cross in tow.they are attracted to this type of breed because a)theyre not enough of a man to be confident enough to walk down the street with anything other than a 'hard'dog and b)the breeds reputation as a gladiatorial killing machine.and before anyone starts lecturing me on the story that not everyone who owns one of these dogs is a drug dealer/chav/scumbag yes i do know that thankyou.but the hard facts of life are that a lot of the folk who own these breeds are.they are attracted to them for the reasons ive given above.they want a 'real' dog.ive never been attacked by one,but if i was or any of my dogs were id know what to do.johns little bitch chloe was horrifically injured in this unprovoked attack.and i get sick to death of hearing the refrain,hes never done that before,he wouldnt hurt a fly,my kids play with him all the time etc etc.when will people realise that these breeds can kill,or cause horrific injuries.they should be kept on a lead at ALL times.theyre too dangerous to be off the lead in a public place.anyone who is attacked or whose dog is attacked by one should immediately go to the police and make a complaint and go to a solicitor and seek personal injuries,vet fees,etc etc etc.i would sue them into the next world!ok rant over!!! ;)

JOHNG said:
i know you can't class all the staffs as dangerous but when you have gone through what i and chloe went through then you will realize what it is like, everytime i see a staff (and there is a lot about) i will walk in the opposite direction,and you allways seem to get the same quote of the owners oh he/she is allright soft as muck,thats what the owner said after hers had savaged chloe it's never done anything like that before she's as soft as muck with the kids, other dogs are the problem.
p.s. chloe as made a full recovery she is not nervous of other dogs because she as gone blind so can't see them.

john ive only just read this.im so sorry.poor chloe.i didnt know. :( :( :(

kris said:
to class breeds like pit bulls,staffys and english bull terriers with yorkies and labs and jack russells is like classing a gladiator with an office clerk! (w00t) lets be honest, breeds like the former can inflict horrific damage on a whippy or any other breed in a very short period of time.the folk who are attracted to these breeds these days unfortunately seem to be drug dealers and chav scum.sorry but thats the type of people who own them around where we live.they ARE a stereotype.they have tattoos,shaven heads,adidas or nike track suits and the pit bull/staffy cross in tow.they are attracted to this type of breed because a)theyre not enough of a man to be confident enough to walk down the street with anything other than a 'hard'dog and b)the breeds reputation as a gladiatorial killing machine.and before anyone starts lecturing me on the story that not everyone who owns one of these dogs is a drug dealer/chav/scumbag yes i do know that thankyou.but the hard facts of life are that a lot of the folk who own these breeds are.they are attracted to them for the reasons ive given above.they want a 'real' dog.ive never been attacked by one,but if i was or any of my dogs were id know what to do.johns little bitch chloe was horrifically injured in this unprovoked attack.and i get sick to death of hearing the refrain,hes never done that before,he wouldnt hurt a fly,my kids play with him all the time etc etc.when will people realise that these breeds can kill,or cause horrific injuries.they should be kept on a lead at ALL times.theyre too dangerous to be off the lead in a public place.anyone who is attacked or whose dog is attacked by one should immediately go to the police and make a complaint and go to a solicitor and seek personal injuries,vet fees,etc etc etc.i would sue them into the next world!ok rant over!!! ;)
You dont know what your talking about, Ive grown up with Staffys , so am I a drug dealer ? And to put you right our staff has been attacked 4 times without fighting back, twice by jack russels inflicting nasty injuries to my staff, one by a terrier cross, and the the last was a whippet cross :rant: I am not a scum head and my dog is no killing machine

No where near on the same scale as Chloe's incident but the other day me my mum my sister and my sisters boyfriend took Tigger on his first proper walk since having his toe taken off, We had only reached the bottom of our road before coming across what initially looked like a french poodle so knowing what my dog can be like i put him on his lead just in case, we were continuing down the little gravel path expecting the other dogs owner to be coming round the corner as soon as the other dog saw mine it started running over looking as though it was going to play and Tigger was wagging his tail so i thought ok no problems here but to my surprise the 'poodle' ran jumped straight for Tiggers throat i pulled him out of the way but he started going mental as well trying to eat it so it ran round and tried biting his leg so i kicked it shouted or rather swore rather loudly at the dog but it kept coming back for more so i continued to guide it with my foot lol until it started to get really nasty i managed to kick it and have enough time to pick my dog up. Even then it was trying to jump up and bite him i was lucky i was in a group so that they could usher the dog away but it continued to pester us along our walk until we eventually changed our route which spoilt our plans and our afternoon walk. There was no owner insight at any point during the incident or the rest of the time it followed us.

Just goes to show regardless of what breed it is there are nasty ones and i think it is down to the owners to control them if you even think they are not 'friendly' with other dogs they should be put on a lead when near other dogs i insist prevention is the most important thing.

IMo people shud put their bloody dogs on a lead regardless how friendly they r!! if they c someone heading towards them with a dog/dogs only polite manners to put their dogs on a lead! last night a little scotty terrier came racing towards my no limit whippets obviously they wud have thought it was a hare!!!! stupid people! although the guy did apologize. lucky my dogs were on a lead isnt it? :(

Take a look at the law which is supposed to protect the public..

A spate of vicious attacks on young children by pit bull terriers in the early 1990s led to a tightening of legislation regarding dog ownership.

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 meant strict guidelines for owners and how their dogs should behave in public.

It also singled out four breeds for particular attention - the Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosa, the Dogo Argentino, and the Fila Brazileiro.

It was made illegal to own any of these dogs unless a court had directed that it was on a list of exempted dogs.

The dogs have to be on a lead and muzzled in public, micro chipped, registered and insured.

The act was also supposed to ban the breeding, sale and exchange of the dogs.

Dealers know how to avoid it and that it takes lengthy, costly procedures forpolice to genetically test dogs to prove that they are banned breeds.

But contrary to what many may think it is not just the tabloid "devil, fighting dogs" that require caution.

The act created a new offence of being an owner of a dog of any type or breed which is dangerously out of control in a public place.

Out of control dogs can be seized by police or local authority officers and the owners faces a fine or up to six months in prison.

If the dog injures someone, the sentence can be increased to up to two years.

The courts also have the power to destroy the animal if they feel it is a danger to public safety.

Alternatively male dogs can be neutered.

A conviction also means the owner could have to pay for the costs of destroying their dog and could be disqualified from keeping a dog.

My views are that behaviour depends on how it is brought up and trained, all dog owners should be responsible and keep their animals on leads or under close supervision in public places.

kris said:
:rant: I am disgusted by your post! My OH and I are respectable, decent people, we havent got shaven heads, arent scumbags nor drugdealers thank you very much! We have whippets aswell as our bull terrier and its acthully the whippets that boss the EBT if anything!

ANY breed could kill or cause injury, and as for your comment about they are too dangerous to be let off the lead (w00t) IM GOBSMACKED!! Why should all breeds lso called 'dangerous breeds' not be allowed to have fun and freedom like others??

Just because of some incidents by other dogs! you are tarring all with the same brush!

We always put our dogs on a lead when we walk past people, not because they are nasty but because its common courtesy, We've had plenty of the so called 'friendly' labs, etc come up to us (NOT ON A LEAD) and have a go at our dogs! but guarenteed if the EBT retalitated it'd be his fault! :rant:

My dad has Rotties and they ARE the softest two boys ever, dogs have come up to them- yes, jack rusells, collies, etc and atchully gone for them and they have just wagged their tails back!

Your comments are absurb

tanyia said:
kris said:
You dont know what your talking about, Ive grown up with Staffys , so am I a drug dealer ? And to put you right our staff has been attacked 4 times without fighting back, twice by jack russels inflicting nasty injuries to my staff, one by a terrier cross, and the the last was a whippet cross :rant: I am not a scum head and my dog is no killing machine

if youd bothered to read my post properly before launching into a rant youd have seen the following.'the folk who are attracted to these breeds these days unfortunately seem to be drug dealers and chav scum.sorry but thats the type of people who own them AROUND WHERE WE LIVE'

also 'and before anyone starts lecturing me on the story that not everyone who owns one of these dogs is a drug dealer/chav/scumbag YES I DO KNOW THAT THANKYOU.but the hard facts of life are that a lot of the folk who own these breeds are.they are attracted to them for the reasons ive given above.'

i dont know you and havent 'classified'you as a drug dealing scumbag.im telling you about the people who live near me who own these dogs,and apparently from reading lots of posts on this and other sites im not alone.

my neighbour owns a staffy.they have a number of children who have grown up happily with this dog.its an excellent pet with children.but i still wouldnt let it near one of my dogs.there are a number of breeds who are 'highly aroused' by other dogs and not in a good way i might add.these dogs are known to be good with children and to be unaroused by humans,thats how they were bred. and just cos youve got a staffy that doesnt fight back doesnt make you an expert on the breed or the characteristics of the breed,so please dont insult my intelligence and my experience by telling me i dont know what im talking about.i do.one swallow doesnt make a summer,one dog doesnt make a breed.your experiences might be good ones.theres lots of others who have had bad ones.theres good and bad in every breed,i understand that.but noone, i dont care who they are can predict a dogs behaviour in any given situation.thats why folk whos dogs have attacked others dogs or children are always the first to say hes never done anything like that before......what im saying is that knowing how much damage these dogs can do it would be sensible to keep them on a lead in public places.when i walk my dogs they are kept on a lead,i only let them off in isolated places where im not likely to come across other dogs or owners.most folk when i walk mine, if they see me approaching they will call their dogs back and put them on a lead in order to control them.its called having good manners.there's always the odd one who will do nothing and stand there as their dog runs up towards mine shouting hes alright he wont bite. :angry: how the hell do they know he wont bite?the answer is they dont!like the lady whose dog attacked and nearly killed poor chloe.she said her dog had never done anything like that before.you DONT KNOW what a dog will do in a situation with another dog,so why take the risk?would you like to be responsible for the injuries or the death of a gentle sweet natured dog like chloe? :(

ANY breed could kill or cause injury, and as for your comment about they are too dangerous to be let off the lead IM GOBSMACKED!! Why should all breeds lso called 'dangerous breeds' not be allowed to have fun and freedom like others??

Just because of some incidents by other dogs! you are tarring all with the same brush!

:oops:

well i have to agree with kris staffies ,rotties,etc should be on a lead at all times or better still muzzled they can snap at any time the woman's staffie that attacked chloe was'nt on a lead i was 60/70 yds away but when it saw the dogs it made straight for them like john weir said i also had toe-caps on and i kicked it 2or3 times once right under the jaw but it made no difference it was'nt interested in me just determined to get one of the dogs sadly it was poor chloe, the owner was shouting for it to come back but it took no notice, since that attack i have noticed there seems to be a lot more of the breed around here and on a few occasions i have seen 10/11 year old kids out with them :oops:

If you had bothered to read my post correctly too you would also see that its a english bull we have , not a staffy for a start off and please do not insult my intelligance and experience either- I am not saying im an expert on the breed but unlike some people we do atchully research and read up upon a breed of dog or another other animal for that matter, before we consider purchasing one, and i wouldnt say that by witnessing/experiencing/hearing about a bad encounter about a certian type or breed of dog makes someone an expert either!

There are certian people around our way that are the stereotypical type with breeds like ours and i agree with your point that SOME people do buy them with no knowledge of dogs, just to 'look the part' with a 'hard dog' but what i totally disagree with is your comment that all breeds like this shouldnt be let off a lead in a public place! :angry: obviously if you personally dont let your dogs off in public then maybe you havent got the confidence in your dog that you have trained it suffienctly in recall, we have thank you and i 'know' my dogs which is what being a good, responsible owner is about.

Please dont use poor chloe as a crowbar :)) W do put our dogs on a lead whilst walking past people, its common courtesy, but to say our breed of dog should not be let off the lead whilst in public is ridiculous. You can just as easily get a nasty lab for example, why should our breed suffer and not be allowed to have fun?

My friend had a staffy,and a retriever (ooohh they cant possibly be nasty, can they??) ran up to it unprovoked and attacked the staffie leaving it blind and braindamaged!

Maybe you should go to crufts and have alook at the bull terriers there..all wellbehaved and mingling with other dogs, and im sure alot of them wont be skinheads! Think they'd love to hear your views on their breed. :thumbsup:

JOHNG said:
ANY breed could kill or cause injury, and as for your comment about they are too dangerous to be let off the lead  IM GOBSMACKED!! Why should all breeds lso called 'dangerous breeds' not be allowed to have fun and freedom like others??Just because of some incidents by other dogs! you are tarring all with the same brush!

well i have to agree with kris staffies ,rotties,etc should be on a lead at all times or better still muzzled they can snap at any time the woman's staffie that attacked chloe was'nt on a lead i was 60/70 yds away but when it saw the dogs it made straight for them like john weir said i also had toe-caps on and i kicked it 2or3 times  once right under the jaw but it made no difference it was'nt interested in me just determined to get one of the dogs sadly it was poor chloe, the owner was shouting for it to come back but it took no notice, since that attack i have noticed there seems to be a lot more of the breed around here and on a few occasions i have seen 10/11 year old kids out with them :oops:

OMG!!! You are unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: How on earth can you say rotties, staffs, etc should be on lead all time or MUZZLED !!!!!! :rant: I wish there were more owners of these breeds on here to back me up cause you are soooooooooo wrong!

I wish you could meet our dogs and my dads Rotties- they are even frit to death of the cat!

chloe is not the first and certainly won't be the last to be savaged by a dangerous dog i.e.staff , rottie etc,as for using chloe as a crow bar i wonder if you would feel the same as you do now if your dog was thrown around like a rag doll by one of these vicious dogs, as for my dogs being trained to recall they are very obedient and will come back when called but that is a rare experience as they are rarley let off the lead :(

whippynit said:
JOHNG said:
ANY breed could kill or cause injury, and as for your comment about they are too dangerous to be let off the lead  IM GOBSMACKED!! Why should all breeds lso called 'dangerous breeds' not be allowed to have fun and freedom like others??Just because of some incidents by other dogs! you are tarring all with the same brush!

well i have to agree with kris staffies ,rotties,etc should be on a lead at all times or better still muzzled they can snap at any time the woman's staffie that attacked chloe was'nt on a lead i was 60/70 yds away but when it saw the dogs it made straight for them like john weir said i also had toe-caps on and i kicked it 2or3 times  once right under the jaw but it made no difference it was'nt interested in me just determined to get one of the dogs sadly it was poor chloe, the owner was shouting for it to come back but it took no notice, since that attack i have noticed there seems to be a lot more of the breed around here and on a few occasions i have seen 10/11 year old kids out with them :oops:

OMG!!! You are unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: How on earth can you say rotties, staffs, etc should be on lead all time or MUZZLED !!!!!! :rant: I wish there were more owners of these breeds on here to back me up cause you are soooooooooo wrong!

I wish you could meet our dogs and my dads Rotties- they are even frit to death of the cat!

A refreshing change to see another member who understands these breeds. What happened to poor Cloe was wrong and no one was to blame but a very bad owner. Ive had staffs for over 50 years non have ever harmed a child or animal. I would not have a staff in the house with my 5 whippets if thay were dangous, He is fast asleep with my 15 year old whippet as I post. Just look at Jades post no breed is any different from the other, thay all need to be kept under control.

whippynit said:
If you had bothered to read my post correctly too you would also see that its a english bull we have , not a staffy for a start off and please do not insult my intelligance and experience either- I am not saying im an expert on the breed but unlike some people we do atchully research and read up upon a breed of dog or another other animal for that matter, before we consider purchasing one,  and i wouldnt say that by witnessing/experiencing/hearing about a bad encounter about a certian type or breed of dog makes someone an expert either!
There are certian people around our way that are the stereotypical type with breeds like ours and i agree with your point that SOME people do buy them with no knowledge of dogs, just to 'look the part' with a 'hard dog' but what i totally disagree with is your comment that all breeds like this shouldnt be let off a lead in a public place! :angry: obviously if you personally dont let your dogs off in public then maybe you havent got the confidence in your dog that you have trained it suffienctly in recall, we have thank you and i 'know' my dogs which is what being a good, responsible owner is about.

Please dont use poor chloe as a crowbar :))   W do put our dogs on a lead whilst walking past people, its common courtesy,  but to say our breed of dog should not be let off the lead whilst in public is ridiculous.  You can just as easily get a nasty lab for example, why should our breed suffer and not be allowed to have fun?

My friend had a staffy,and a retriever (ooohh they cant possibly be nasty, can they??) ran up to it unprovoked and attacked the staffie leaving it blind and braindamaged!

Maybe you should go to crufts and have alook at the bull terriers there..all wellbehaved and mingling with other dogs, and im sure alot of them wont be skinheads!  Think they'd love to hear your views on their breed. :thumbsup:

reading about bad encounters with a breed of dog doesnt make me an expert.breeding,judging,showing,training and lecturing about dogs does.over 30 years experience actually(not atchully)the reason i dont let my dogs off the lead in public is because they are dogs not human beings.knowing dogs as i do, i know they cannot think about the consequences of their actions.i can remember the only dual champion bitch in a breed i was involved with for over 30 years being run over and killed.the owner who was a highly experienced trainer/handler didnt feel the need to use a lead when out in public with his obedience champion bitch.as they approached a bridge over a stream where the road narrowed,his bitch whilst keeping her front paws on the pavement let her hindquarters and hind legs swing out onto the road.a car passing caught her and dragged her under the wheels and killed her.tragic accident.yes.but avoidable yes .it was because if the dog had been on the lead she would have been on the owners left,as she was walking at the side of him she was on his right and didnt understand that her hind legs and hindquarters had to be on the pavement also.after all she was a dog.so didnt think of this!i know another obedience champion who was killed on a road because a cat appeared out of nowhere and she gave chase.straight under a car.what im trying to get through to you is that dogs are animals not people.you cant and noone else can say in any given situation how a dog will react and what it will do.we cant do that with people so how can we do it with dogs?anyone who is so confident of their training methods that they can say 100% that they can do that well then all i can say is you are a much better person than i am.and i and a lot of other folk would like to know what majic method of training you employ,cos its obviously working so much better than anything ive ever seen in all my experience.good luck to you.you should write a best seller on your methods.ill be the first to purchase a copy.you so obviously 'know' your dogs as you say.you say why should your breed suffer and not have any fun.well go look at pics of chloe or any other dog who has been savaged and theirin lies your answer.free running for any breed relies on the owners and the dogs abilities and capabilities.and a lot of folk who own these breeds dont have any abilities,certainly not to be able to drag them off when they are in the middle of atttacking another dog.ive seen myself a staffy/cross that savaged an alsatian dog that was tied up and couldnt escape.to say it was a horrific scene doesnt do it justice.3 young men tried to drag it off.they couldnt despite repeated kicks and hits with bricks.eventually the owner, a local drug dealer tattooed,shaven headed and driving his souped up car pulled up and beat the dog unconscious in order to get it off the other dog.he then threw bricks at the alsatian as he was angry that he had to be called out in order to get his dog away.(the reason i know he was a local drug dealer is that i went to the police and the rspca and made a complaint about the dog and they told me who he was and to forget what id seen as the guy was dangerous and the owner of the alsatian was too scared to press any charges)

oh and by the way ive been going to crufts for over 30 years and i already know responsible owners of staffies,english bulls etc etc.ive bred dobermanns for over 30 years and i would not let them off the lead unless i was in an isolated place,my dogs werent savage,they were just dogs and i knew despite whatever training methods i employed there would always be the occasion that i hadnt counted on and a possible disaster could happen.being a responsible owner means thinking about other people and their dogs as well as yourself and your dogs and their 'fun' :thumbsup:

kris said:
whippynit said:
If you had bothered to read my post correctly too you would also see that its a english bull we have , not a staffy for a start off and please do not insult my intelligance and experience either- I am not saying im an expert on the breed but unlike some people we do atchully research and read up upon a breed of dog or another other animal for that matter, before we consider purchasing one,  and i wouldnt say that by witnessing/experiencing/hearing about a bad encounter about a certian type or breed of dog makes someone an expert either!

Please dont use poor chloe as a crowbar :))   W do put our dogs on a lead whilst walking past people, its common courtesy,  but to say our breed of dog should not be let off the lead whilst in public is ridiculous.  You can just as easily get a nasty lab for example, why should our breed suffer and not be allowed to have fun?

Maybe you should go to crufts and have alook at the bull terriers there..all wellbehaved and mingling with other dogs, and im sure alot of them wont be skinheads!  Think they'd love to hear your views on their breed. :thumbsup:

reading about bad encounters with a breed of dog doesnt make me an expert.breeding,judging,showing,training and lecturing about dogs does.over 30 years experience actually(not atchully)the reason i dont let my dogs off the lead in public is because they are dogs not human beings.knowing dogs as i do, i know they cannot think about the consequences of their actions.i can remember the only dual champion bitch in a breed i was involved with for over 30 years being run over and killed.the owner who was a highly experienced trainer/handler didnt feel the need to use a lead when out in public with his obedience champion bitch.as they approached a bridge over a stream where the road narrowed,his bitch whilst keeping her front paws on the pavement let her hindquarters and hind legs swing out onto the road.a car passing caught her and dragged her under the wheels and killed her.tragic accident.yes.but avoidable yes .it was because if the dog had been on the lead she would have been on the owners left,as she was walking at the side of him she was on his right and didnt understand that her hind legs and hindquarters had to be on the pavement also.after all she was a dog.so didnt think of this!i know another obedience champion who was killed on a road because a cat appeared out of nowhere and she gave chase.straight under a car.what im trying to get through to you is that dogs are animals not people.you cant and noone else can say in any given situation how a dog will react and what it will do.we cant do that with people so how can we do it with dogs?anyone who is so confident of their training methods that they can say 100% that they can do that well then all i can say is you are a much better person than i am.and i and a lot of other folk would like to know what majic method of training you employ,cos its obviously working so much better than anything ive ever seen in all my experience.good luck to you.you should write a best seller on your methods.ill be the first to purchase a copy.you so obviously 'know' your dogs as you say.you say why should your breed suffer and not have any fun.well go look at pics of chloe or any other dog who has been savaged and theirin lies your answer.free running for any breed relies on the owners and the dogs abilities and capabilities.and a lot of folk who own these breeds dont have any abilities,certainly not to be able to drag them off when they are in the middle of atttacking another dog.ive seen myself a staffy/cross that savaged an alsatian dog that was tied up and couldnt escape.to say it was a horrific scene doesnt do it justice.3 young men tried to drag it off.they couldnt despite repeated kicks and hits with bricks.eventually the owner, a local drug dealer tattooed,shaven headed and driving his souped up car pulled up and beat the dog unconscious in order to get it off the other dog.he then threw bricks at the alsatian as he was angry that he had to be called out in order to get his dog away.(the reason i know he was a local drug dealer is that i went to the police and the rspca and made a complaint about the dog and they told me who he was and to forget what id seen as the guy was dangerous and the owner of the alsatian was too scared to press any charges)

oh and by the way ive been going to crufts for over 30 years and i already know responsible owners of staffies,english bulls etc etc.ive bred dobermanns for over 30 years and i would not let them off the lead unless i was in an isolated place,my dogs werent savage,they were just dogs and i knew despite whatever training methods i employed there would always be the occasion that i hadnt counted on and a possible disaster could happen.being a responsible owner means thinking about other people and their dogs as well as yourself and your dogs and their 'fun' :thumbsup:

Well said Kris!

I have always maintained that NO dog should ever be trusted 100%. Common sense should be used, and dogs who are renowned for causing injury to kids or other dogs without provocation, should NEVER be given an opportunity to savage. I think that is just employing a sensible approach to owning a pet.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back