The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Severe ear problem

Pip-n-Stan

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, hoping you can help me out as I feel like I’m bugging the vets to no end lol. Have rung 4/5 times and visited twice with Pippin and once with Stan in past 48 hours...

Pippin seems to have a severe infection in her right ear. She had the same kind of problem - although not to this extent - this time last year too which leads me to think it’s a seasonal problem.

I’ve taken Pippin to the vets twice, first time they gave us ear drops to use twice a day and cleaner to use 2/3 times a week (same as last time this happened) and yesterday when I went they gave us some steroid tablets to try and reduce the pain/itching. I gave her the first tablet last night and have been putting the drops in her ears twice a day (which is a challenge!!!) and it just seems to be getting worse rather than better. Two days ago it was irritating her just a bit, but now her right ear is swollen, yellow and leaking everywhere. She’s utterly stressed out and in massive discomfort and is hardly sleeping at night, just getting all hot and bothered running from one corner to another, which is no good in this weather either. She can hardly sit still to eat/have a drink, I’ve had to syringe her water so she’ll actually have something to drink in this heat.
Is it worth making ANOTHER appointment, or will I be paying just for them to tell me the same old? Is this one to wait out? Will it take a couple more days for the steroids to kick in? I just can’t bear to see my baby this uncomfortable for a second longer

Ouch that sounds really nasty. If it was me I would phone my vet explain I thought it was getting worse and if they brushed me off or didn't sound interested I would seek a second opinion from a different vet practice.

I dont care if vets feel insulted by this I need top class care for my dog and I wont stop until I get it.

Ouch that sounds really nasty. If it was me I would phone my vet explain I thought it was getting worse and if they brushed me off or didn't sound interested I would seek a second opinion from a different vet practice.

I dont care if vets feel insulted by this I need top class care for my dog and I wont stop until I get it.

This. Vets are expensive so absolutely keep asking - you are paying for their time - or ask someone else. Has anyone asked about antibiotics?

You could get another opinion from another vet, they could give you some more eardrops or a saline solution (Salt and water). Does your dogs have fur growing out their ears the canal? if so then pluck your dogs ears as this could be the problem...

You could get another opinion from another vet, they could give you some more eardrops or a saline solution (Salt and water). Does your dogs have fur growing out their ears the canal? if so then pluck your dogs ears as this could be the problem...

It's swollen and yellow with a discharge, I think we are too late for plucking.

I'd seek an appt with a different vet - leaking pus is not something that needs "ear drops"! :eek:

I'd also want the ear-discharge SWABBED for a smear under the 'scope, plus cultured, so they could find the causative microbe/s & what meds it is / they are susceptible to...
not just throw some generic-antiBs at it, & hope it works. :rolleyes:

let us know how she gets on, poor pup! :(
- terry

My boy suffers terribly this time of year with ear infections. I have been to the vets numerous times feeling like it’s happening all of the time only to be told ‘ it was this time last year’

He will be fine one minute and then the next he works himself into such a state about it he doesn’t know what to do with himself. It’s horrible.

This may be a silly question but I’m guessing your vet looked into her ears? She doesn’t have a grass seed or anything stuck down there does she? Dennis has never had it with leaking discharge.

When I clean his ears (it’s always the right one) there is a dark wax that comes out. Did your vet tell you she had this?

I would give it a day to kick in. Keep cleaning the ears and help relieve her itch by itching the base for her.

But definitely take her back if she’s still the same tomorrow afternoon as pus does not sound good :-(

a former client had a food-obsessed Beagle [is there any other kind?...] & a poorly-managed household.

She had 2 dotters, 3 dogs, & 3 cats. // Each person had a cat, & a dog, "of their own".
She didn't own a litter-box. :eek: Her elder dotter was just 9 at the time, so neither child could be considered responsible for their own pets.
Despite the fact that the Beagle had a well-known, serious food-allergy, the cat was FED FROM A BOWL ON THE FLOOR, free-choice, no less! - so the dog incessantly got into the cat-food, & her ears would blow-up.

One Saturday night, I was called urgently to come see the Beagle, as "her ears are really painful".
I arrived to discover the dog wouldn't even let me SEE her right side - she was anxiously guarding her whole right-side, & growled when i tried to turn her around, using her doubled leash as a handle just slipped under her jaw.
THE SWELLING when i got her turned around, ran from her ear almost to her shoulder - her ear was dribbling green-yellow pus streaked with blood, down her neck, in a 3-inch swath. Her pinna looked like a semi-inflated balloon.

I told her irresponsible owner that her dog needed an emergency trip to the ER-Vet, not a visit from a trainer. Sheesh. Poor, poor dog! - the stink from her ear was awful, no way that happened in ONE day.
She'd had that infection for 3 to 5 days, minimum, & it was potentially - at that point - life-threatening, IMO.
Her eardrum could have ruptured at any time, & she was in agony. :(

I would ask my vet about the possibility of a food-elimination diet, in case something in Pip's diet is setting this cascade off. :(

- terry

This sounds like a full-blown infection that will need immediate treatment. Tell your vet you dog has an infection and you need something for it. I agree with others- if your vet won't help (why not?!) get another opinion. I@ve always had spaniels and believe me ear problems are not something you can leave. I'm really sorry for you because even when you've tried to do the best for your dogs sounds like you're not getting help.:mad:

Agree with above, go to a different vet! All very distressing for your dog and you...hope you get the help you need.

Thanks so much everyone for such kind words and advice.
I did book another appointment in the end! It was for the next morning, but I was away so it was my mum that took her. When I spoke to her, she said that she basically “TOLD them we wanted antibiotics for her”. Thankfully they obliged, gave her an injection and gave us some to take home. My mum gave her a bath too (I thought that would irritate the ear more but apparently not!!) and after a few days of proper antibiotics she now is definitely feeling much better. She’s being weaned off the steroids today and has the antibiotics for the rest of the week, so will be hopefully feeling back to herself in no time. Thanks so much again!!! X

That's good to hear - ear infections are horrible.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back