The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Should Female Puppies Hump Things?

FriendOfJane

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

My friend has a 12 week old female Border Collie. Recently she has started to hump cussions and her toys, (this is the dog btw, not my friend).

She hasn't contacted a vet yet but she would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this type of behaviour. I've certainly never heard of it myself.

She would like to know whether or not this is common, and if so, what does it mean? Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

James

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!! Bitches hump things as much as the boys!! Usually a dominance thing! She certainly doesn't need to spend a fortune asking a Vet about it. Quite normal behaviour but just don't allow the puppy to get too dominant.

Goodness, yes! Cushions, bedding, our cat...!! Whatever's handy when the mood takes her :lol:

two of my four bitches hump, one of the others is the humpee (w00t) . The fourth girl watches in disgust :lol:

Juley said:
two of my four bitches hump, one of the others is the humpee (w00t) . The fourth girl watches in disgust :lol:

:D :lol: :D :lol:

Thanks Juley, that gave me a right good giggle....

callie used to try to hump sienna, but since Sienna has had her season it's the other way around (w00t) Callie doesn't bother with the humping anymore I think she's realised that she will never be the dominant one :wacko:

Polly (now 3) has humped my leg from the day she arrived, at 8 weeks old! She does it when she is excited (like when I get home after being out) and I have tried ignoring it, spraying her with water, saying NO in a stern voice and nothing makes the slightest difference so now I just push her off and go into another room. By the time I get back, she is OK. :thumbsup:

She only rarely tries it with other people -never her dog companions, so I don't think it is dominance, just excitement. I wouldn't bother paying a vet to tell your friend not to worry!! She may grow out of it anyway. :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
My girls do it before they come in season and while they are in season. This alone is certainly not a case for a vet. :D

Lida

Reading this has made me laugh :D so much so my hubby is asking me what on earth are you laughing at lol the thing that made me smile was reading about the bitch humping the cat roflmao I can't imagine what the cat must be thinking whilst this is going on :- " and yes I also have a bitch that does this :b and is very embarrising especially when we have company :blink:

Sisters are doin' it for themselves!!!! (w00t)

Yeeeehaa you go girl!!

Linda

When we got Tascha, for all the size she was, she humped her brown teddy, none of the other teddies would do it for her :lol:

She would also have a go at our Tom cat, Mr Manson, but wouldn't go near the 2 female cats we have. (w00t) (w00t)

She seems to have outgrown it now, but I do find that if there is someone in the house who doesn't like dogs, then she will go try hump their leg???? :blink: :- " (w00t)

Havnt got a bitch :sweating: .... but Oscar sure acts strange with male and female cats. :blink: :- " and a black furry cushion which we call his 'humpy cushion' :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred is really devious with his humping (sorry he's not a bitch, but he is the dominant one of my two dogs).

He always leaves a bit of his tea in his food bowl so that when Stan goes rushing over to it to see if there is anything left, he can sneak up behind him :b (w00t) It's the only time he gets away with it and Stan falls for it everytime!

Nicola said:
Fred is really devious with his humping (sorry he's not a bitch, but he is the dominant one of my two dogs).
He always leaves a bit of his tea in his food bowl so that when Stan goes rushing over to it to see if there is anything left, he can sneak up behind him :b   (w00t) It's the only time he gets away with it and Stan falls for it everytime!

Fantastic Fred, love the tactics (w00t) (w00t)

Stan :oops:

dessie said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!!  Bitches hump things as much as the boys!!  Usually a dominance thing!  She certainly doesn't need to spend a fortune asking a Vet about it.  Quite normal behaviour but just don't allow the puppy to get too dominant.
One of my whippet bitches used to hump my leg -- I was a teenager at the time and I let her away with it. She did this very vigourously, but she only did it when she was in heat, no other time. I think she just got the itch, it wasn't a dominance thing as I never saw her try it with other dogs, even though she had a dominant streak in her, and she wasn't dominating with humans; on the contrary she took easily to obedience training.

My male lurcher who was castrated when he was only about 7 months old (before I got him) and is also dominating with kennel mates very occasionally humps my other dog when they are play-fighting, so in his case it is dominance behaviour.

FriendOfJane said:
Hi,
My friend has a 12 week old female Border Collie. Recently she has started to hump cussions and her toys, (this is the dog btw, not my friend).

She hasn't contacted a vet yet but she would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this type of behaviour. I've certainly never heard of it myself.

She would like to know whether or not this is common, and if so, what does it mean? Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

James

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back