The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying

kirsty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All,

Megan is booked in to be speyed in the morning and I am worried sick. She is nine months and has had one season. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the state she will be in when I collect her. I am very nervous, never had a dog speyed before only a cat. Will she be ok to go up and down stairs? How long is the recovery usually? Does the scar heal quickly?

I'd be greatful for some feedback

Kirsty

kirsty said:
Megan is booked in to be speyed in the morning and I am worried sick.  She is nine months and has had one season.  Can anyone give me a rough idea of the state she will be in when I collect her.  I am very nervous, never had a dog speyed before only a cat.  Will she be ok to go up and down stairs?  How long is the recovery usually?  Does the scar heal quickly? 
She'll probably be a bit groggy and sore - once home expect her to curl up somewhere she feels safe and sleep lots. Some bitches are restless the first night. Stairs might be a problem for the first day or two, but after that as long as she's not going at 90mph she should be fine!

Most vets will get you to keep her on the lead at least until the stitches are out (7-12 days) but you'll find this isn't easy at all, by day 3 she'll be acting like her normal self! Once the stitches are out the scar's usually just about healed anyway, it's amazing how quickly they get back to normal.

Try not to worry! :luck:

Hello. In the last 3 years I suppose, I have had 2 lurchers and one whippet speyed. In aech case, I was amazed and relieved about how well they coped with it. One of the lurchers actually jumped into the back of the car to go home as if nothing had happened. None of them found stairs to be a problem. On two of the girls, they did not have a dressing on and the stitching was so very neat. The 3rd one, some months later was given a dressing and we were told to keep it on for a certain length of time. When the time came to remove it, it would not budge and we had to go to the vet to have it removed. This caused the bitch a certain degree of trauma from which she still reacts when she has to visit the vet. The practice was keen to point out at a later date that they do not now use such dressings if they can be avoided. From all this I would say to you, have no worries but just check with them before hand on this dressing thing because that was the only bad side to 3 operations. Good luck to you

Lampingman :thumbsup:

This is a really good question :thumbsup:

I'm going to link this in to FAQ, so if anyone else has any stories of particular care they gave, or homeopathic remedies or supplements they administered to help their girl (Arnica? Vit E oil to the scar? Evening Primrose?) please do add comments to help other members :thumbsup:

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad this topic has come up, Annie is going to be spayed tomorrow too and I was wondering how shes going to be afterwards and anything in particular that I should be aware of, she's the first bitch I have owned so don't know what to expect.

She has'nt been allowed any food since 7 pm so I gave her her favourite dinner of chicken thighs at tea time today to make sure she ate well and not be too hungry later on.

I'll be so relieved when her ops over and shes back home. :huggles:

Hi ILKC& Lampingman,

Thanks for the advice. I doubt I'll sleep much tonight for worrying! I'll check about the dressing thing. Aparantly I don't need to go back for a check with her as the stitches are dissolving, I thought they would want her back for a check to see all is well and healing.

Kirsty

Thanks Helen that would be most helplful,

Good luck Mazza with Annie, hope all goes well. I'll post how Megan is tomorrow night.

Kirsty

Sorry ,and I know this will get some folks backs up , But SPEYING at 9 MONTHS is CRIMINAL !! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: at least wait till the poor animal reaches maturity :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
kirsty said:
Thanks for the advice.  I doubt I'll sleep much tonight for worrying!  I'll check about the dressing thing.  Aparantly I don't need to go back for a check with her as the stitches are dissolving, I thought they would want her back for a check to see all is well and healing.
Even better, hopefully they'll be buried stitches so she won't lick them!

Unless the wound is swollen, red or oozing, or the dog is paying excessive attention to it, there's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't wash or cover the wound at all - just leave it alone until 10-12 days after the op, when you can use a dilute saltwater solution to bathe away any crusty bits :x . If you're worried, phone the vet, they'll be fine with it.

And remember, of all the surgery vets have to carry out, the operation your girl is having is the one they are most confident and familiar with. :huggles:

JAX said:
Sorry ,and I know this will get some folks backs up , But SPEYING at 9 MONTHS  is CRIMINAL !! :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant: at least wait till the poor animal reaches maturity  :rant:
With any due respect, Jax, I think this lady has made her decision regarding neutering, it is the right decision for her, and comments like this are really unfair when she's already worried enough about tomorrow.

The selfless thing to do would be to either keep your opinions to yourself, or start another thread elsewhere.

JAX said:
Sorry ,and I know this will get some folks backs up , But SPEYING at 9 MONTHS  is CRIMINAL !! :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant: at least wait till the poor animal reaches maturity  :rant:
NO Jax spaying at 9 months is NOT criminal. In view of some people (myself including) it is too early, nevertheless it is lot better than at 3 months and at least this girl already had her season. I would have waited bit longer as she is not going to be in season for another 6-9months, so there is no hurry but as it is all set.......

Kirsty; spaying is pretty routine, albeit not a minor op, and animals recuperate fast. My vet makes only a tiny incision at the belly button, the animals are back to normal in no time. I have had only two of our bitches done (for medical reasons) but i have assisted my vet on several occasions. I would not put anything on the wound except maybe when it is already quite healed and may get bit itchy, then i would put bit of vitamin E oil (capsule). If there is a sign of infection it is matter for vet, not topical application!

The only likely problem will be to keep her from running around too soon. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Lida

I humbly agree with ILKC. If you have no intention of breeding from your bitch, have her speyed. My vets are pretty adament about this and all this business about having a season first before speying is all so much pants. My girl, the great Saucy Madam, mother to ZORRO and Bramble has just finished her season. She has been such a pest during this period and as I do not have any intention of again breeding from her, she will be speyed in due course. That in my view has to be the predominant aspect. If you have no intention of mating then have her speyed and the sooner the better.

Love to all

Chris :thumbsup:

I have actually done a lot of weekend work at a vets and have found that it depends totally upon the dog(bitch)! You would see some go out slightly groggy and others were just like how they went in. It is all to do with the anaesthetics effect on the dog, but rest assured, on the most part,vets i know wont let a dog home if they feel it isnt awake enough to do so! Dont worry :thumbsup:

Katie & Poppy the lurcher!

I have had my own and probably about 20 foster bitches done from here most a sleepy the firts night some like our talula was full of beens from the minet we piced her up and it was hard keeping her carm all stayed on lead for 2 weeks and iv never had a dressing on them and they have been done at differnt vets depending on whitch rescue they were from. we keep an eye on the stiches but never do anything as long as they look ok and you carnt even se were my girles were done now.

Good luck Kirsty- hope it will go well- I'm sure it will

Thanks everyone for your opinions and your help. The reason I am getting her done now is the lady I got her from said that toy breeds are classed as adults at around this stage and with her having a season so young I should go for it. the vet said the same and aparantly this is the best time, right in the middle before the next one. When I got her she was right at the end of her season and she was acting really weird. She would sit down and look at her behind when I took her for a walk and if other dogs came she really freaked ( I know she is like that anyway with other dogs, though getting a bit better) It's as if she knew they were after her and it upset her. Anyway I'm not trying to make excuses, just saying the way it is. I do hope all goes well as I am worried sick and know when I get to the vet to drop her I will start crying like a fool, when I hand her over.

Kirsty

JAX said:

I did say `it would get peoples backs up` didnt I :oops: , But it `gets my back up ` if you dont want a bitch to have a season , then why not get a MALE .!! but then I supposed youd have that poor thing CASTRATED too :rant:

I had a male before and no he wasn't castrated and no I wouldn't necessarily get him castrated. Saying that there are many people I know who have had as it has made their male dogs much more plausable in the company of other dogs, especially females.

So you don't believe in speying/neutering that's obvious. But at the end of the day that's your opinion and what about pyometra etc does that not bother you either. I'm afraid I wouldn't keep a bitch entire unless I was going to breed from her, as I don't see the point in her keeping having seasons for no reason. But there again that is up to the owner of the dog

Kirsty

Just a quick note to say , i hope your girls both come thruogh their op . ok . . :luck: Dogs do get over their ops so much quicker than us `humans ` They will be running about as normal in days , not like us , who can take months to get back to `normal`

Thanks for your well wishes Jax.

Hopefully you have got Annie to the vet ok this morning Mazza and look forward to hearing how she is when you have collected her. I have to call the vet around 2pm then hopefully pick Megan up around 4ish. She is having a microchip put in as well whilst she is under

Kirsty

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back