The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
JAX said:
JAX said:
Sorry ,and I know this will get some folks backs up , But SPEYING at 9 MONTHS  is CRIMINAL !! :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant: at least wait till the poor animal reaches maturity  :rant:

I did say `it would get peoples backs up` didnt I :oops: , But it `gets my back up ` if you dont want a bitch to have a season , then why not get a MALE .!! but then I supposed youd have that poor thing CASTRATED too :rant:

Why make such an aggessive post without explaining why it's criminal or she should wait until the dog is mature? surley it would only be the wrong thing to do if the owner wanted to breed from the bitch, she is maybe making the decison based on lots of sensible reasons involving hers and the dogs wellbeing

Masta , Go to FAQ `neuturing` and you will see why I put that on there. It wasnt `aggresive ` to the person ,

I just hate to think of A) a `baby ` going under general anasthetic ( sp) I know of more than one young whippet that for one reason or another did nt make it :( Sorry Kirsty and Mazza , Im sure yours will be fine :luck: . B) that its done for the `persons `benefit EG no mess ` and not the dogs .

JAX said:
Masta , Go to FAQ `neuturing` and you will see why I put that on there. It wasnt `aggresive `  to the person ,
I just hate to think of A) a `baby ` going under general anasthetic ( sp) I know of more than one young whippet that for one reason or another did nt make it  :(   Sorry Kirsty and Mazza , Im sure yours will be fine  :luck: . B) that its done for the `persons `benefit  EG no mess ` and not the dogs .

i said a 'agressive post' not 'person' what i wanted to get across was that Kirsty may have very solid viable reasons why she is taking this decsion and why would it be so wrong for the 'persons' benefit surely owning a dog is a partnership we care and love make sure they have everything to make their life comfortable

I may as well add my tuppence worth :D

Good luck Kirsty - I'm sure you won't need it and she will be just fine.

You don't say if your whippet is "just" a pet or if you have some other activity planned for her as well. If you WERE planning to show/race/course or what have you, then (although it's too late) you should be aware that she could put on weight - possibly a considerable amount!

I have had 6 whippets spayed and all except for ONE gained weight that no amount of exercise and diet would shift. The one that didn't gain weight (Hatt Outta Belle) in fact now weighs less at 13 years than she ever did when racing, while her sister Dottie who used to race at 20lbs, now weighs in at an incredible 30lb ! (w00t) These two are the extremes, the others gained around 2-3lbs each.

These were all spayed quite late on by the way - 6 years plus, and Dottie was the only one who was never mated. Maybe there's an explanation there but it's too weird for me!

Thanks Ian,

Just called the vet and she is coming out the anaesthetic well. I must say I feel relieved. She is not a Whippet, she is a Bolognese. She only weighs around 6lbs so is just a teeny girl. She won't get any bigger now. In fact I'd be pleased if she puts a bit weight on as she is too much on the slim side. She is a very picky eater. To look at her you wouldn't think so, but it is all coat!

Kirsty

:luck: :luck: Kirsty, I'm sure you will spoil your little girl to help her over the op. and she'll soon be bounding around. :huggles:

:huggles: :huggles: to Annie too, it's great they can use hidden dissolvable stitches, will she wear a 'lampshade' to stop any nibbling ?

JAX said:
It wasnt `aggresive `  to the person 
I think it was, I think it was obvious she was feeling worried and vulnerable and I think it was completely the wrong time and place to start criticising her decisions. Of course, Kirsty can speak for herself, but I'd be very upset by your insensitivity were I in her position.

JAX said:
I just hate to think of A) a `baby ` going under general anasthetic ( sp) I know of more than one young whippet that for one reason or another did nt make it  :(   Sorry Kirsty and Mazza , Im sure yours will be fine  :luck: . B) that its done for the `persons `benefit  EG no mess ` and not the dogs .
Don't we all know of an anaesthetic horror story? We all know there's a risk. It's a low risk. Give people credit to think these things through. And referring to a 9 month old dog as a 'baby' in this context is anthropomorphism at its worst.

Can't you take these unhelpful comments elsewhere? Their place is in a thread which debates the pros and cons of the issue, not in a thread where worried people are looking for reassurance.

IanGerman said:
you should be aware that she could put on weight - possibly a considerable amount!
Good post Ian, and a good point too. Only thing you left out is that the only reason a dog will get fat is if it gets fed too much. Trust me, this is all I do all day every day - it's true, you just feed them less and the problem is gone! You may have to feed them considerably less in order to stop them gaining considerable weight :lol: but it's that simple. Sorry! :teehee:

Collected Megan from vet at 4pm. She was still pretty woozy and still is. Maybe take an other few hours before she is steady on her feet. Never realised her whole belly would have to be shaved. I must say I am so glad to have her back safely. I feel rotten that she will probably be in pain for a few days. I thought I would have got painkillers but he gave her an injection that he said will last her over the most painful period. I hope he is right. I have bought her some Coley fish so will try her with some around 9pm. He said not to let her near the stairs for a few days. I will sleep on the sofa the next few nights down stairs as my bedroom door is not closing and if I take her upstairs she might try to get downstairs! I could put her in her lovely little bed inside a crate at the side of my bed, but I think she'll whine with being locked in. She is used to sleeping next to me on my bed, but sometimes jumps off if she gets too hot. Probably best I sleep downstairs with her. I will let her out in the garden to see if she needs a wee after I try her with food. Hope she manages to go. She doesn't like doing it in the garden really, well not so bad with a wee but never the other. Don't want to take her a walk, so if she is desperate I hope she will go in the garden. She was shivering when I took her to the car from the vet as it is cold and rainy here today.

Julie, I never got her a lampshade so hope she won't nibble at her stitches the vet said to see how she goes. Saying that they are closed all weekend, but there is an emergency number if there was a problem. It is amazing the stitches are dissolving. Saying that I think I would have felt better if they had wanted her back to make sure all had healed properly.

I hope Annie is recovering well.

Kirsty

Aw, thanks for letting us know how she is, Kirsty. I must admit I was thinking about all our K9 "patients" today :) Hope Mazza posts about Annie soon, as well :thumbsup:

gald to here everything whent well. she will soon be back to her self again in no time.

i have never had a probelm with any of my dog gaining weight when they have been neuterd eather dogs or bitches i keep there food and excrsiec the same and thya have all stayed the same weight. some have been done after there firts season some not till 5 or 6years old and never a weight problem with any

glad everything went ok with your girl

I had to have my bitch speyed a few years ago and was worried about weight gain, i was told that if you are strict on the feeding and keep the weight off for the first few months after the op while her hormones are settling down it will be easier to keep a balance when she is older, don't know how true this is but my girl doesn't have a problem with her weight and she is 7 now.

Glad she came through operation well.

One of my dogs, a rescue lurcher (the white one in my signature), came neutered, it was done when she was 8 months old. Personally I would have let her have her first season but........

.......... anyway, she eats as much as she likes, she is super fit, wins at shows and was reserve champion racing last time out against greyXs (she's 22"), and most certainly is not over weight.

I wouldn't worry- just give her lots of love till she's feeling herself again- your plans sound great :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad Megans back home with you now and recovering.

Annie was back with me at 4 today, subdued and sleepy. The op went well and shes fine. She has been up once and wobbled outside to have a tiddle and the other but has rested well since she came home.

Annie usually goes nuts when OH gets home from work at 6, today she couldn't make it up and to the door as usual but her tail was thumping away when she saw him.

Vet has left two lots of tablets for Annie to start tomorrow and a buster if needed, hoping we can do without it.

The vet said Annies wound oozed a bit after stitching so they have put a dressing like a big plaster over it. I have to remove it tomorrow, not looking forward to that as it looks really well stuck, just hoping it peels off easy without pulling too much. Annies stitches will be removed in 10 days.

So glad Annies home, got to keep her quiet and rested for a few days, even if she thinks she can chase about I must'nt let her. This will be hard especially with our other one Alfie around, he siezes every opportunity to play.

Jax,

you are entitled to your opinions on neuturing of course but I cannot see why you are so anti neutering. I would not of thought it would make any difference to the animal if it were neutered at 6 months 16 months or 6 years. Annie is 6 and half months and has not had a season yet, what is she going to miss out on? As for putting an animal through a general anesthetic because the owner is acting selfish in having a bitch spayed for their own convenience is unfair. An op is always a risk but you have to take that chance.

Aww, so glad to hear Annie is home safely as well. I'm glad the op went well for her. Hope her dressing plaster comes off without much trouble :( bless her. Glad she's done the toilet ok. Still to try little Megan outside :blink: She has eaten her small bowl of Coley fish and thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact when I fed her some from my hand before I gave her the bowl, she tried to give me a sit then a down and must have realised her tummy wasn't feeling quite right, bless her :huggles:

Love and kisses to Annie :huggles: :huggles: and we all look forward to hearing of a speedy recovery in the coming days.

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes. I have passed them on to Megan :wub:

Kirsty

mazza said:
Jax, you are entitled to your opinions on neuturing of course but I cannot see why you are so anti neutering. I would not of thought it would make any difference to the animal if it were neutered at 6 months 16 months or 6 years. Annie is 6 and half months and has not had a season yet, what is she going to miss out on? As for putting an animal through a general anesthetic because the owner is acting selfish in having a bitch spayed for their own convenience is unfair. An op is always a risk but you have to take that chance.

Mazza please read the FAQ on Speying , and you will see what Im on about .

I admit a RED MIST does come over me when i see people Spaying or Castrating young animals before they have reached maturity Usually on the advice of their vet , who says it will stop Pyo , cancer etc and of Course ILKC agrees with it , she is a VET after all . As I said in a MUCH earlier post , many woman get breast cancer , but we dont all have our breasts off , to prevent it do we ?

So at the end of the day I feel that people have them spayed etc to suit THEM not their dogs .

Im so pleased both the girls have come out of their ops ok , and would love to see a picture of your girl Kirsty . It would be a nice change to see a `hairy` dog on here :p

Delighted to hear both are ok - any chance of a morning update then? Hope the night on the sofa wasn't too uncomfortable Kirsty!

I have replied to you elsewhere Jax.

JAX said:
mazza said:
Jax,

you are entitled to your opinions on neuturing of course but I cannot see why you are so anti neutering. I would not of thought it would make any difference to the animal if it were neutered at 6 months 16 months or 6 years. Annie is 6 and half months and has not had a season yet, what is she going to miss out on? As for putting an animal through a general anesthetic because the owner is acting selfish in having a bitch spayed for their own convenience is unfair. An op is always a risk but you have to take that chance.

Mazza please read the FAQ on Speying , and you will see what Im on about .

I admit a RED MIST does come over me when i see people Spaying or Castrating young animals before they have reached maturity Usually on the advice of their vet , who says it will stop Pyo , cancer etc and of Course ILKC agrees with it , she is a VET after all . As I said in a MUCH earlier post , many woman get breast cancer , but we dont all have our breasts off , to prevent it do we ?

So at the end of the day I feel that people have them spayed etc to suit THEM not their dogs .

Im so pleased both the girls have come out of their ops ok , and would love to see a picture of your girl Kirsty . It would be a nice change to see a `hairy` dog on here :p

I have to agree with Jax totally on this one

IMO if you are not prepared to cope with the bitches seasons why not have a dog.

We have kept bitches all our lives, we have 7 females at the moment NONE of which have been speyed and the oldest is nearly 13, we have had no problems what so ever. The only reason we have a bitch speyed would be IF there was a medical problem.

IMO people try to justify having them done by convincing themselves it is prevent medical conditions.

AND I am sorry but I dont apologise for my beliefs and I feel that Jax who is a very reputable whippet person has been umfairly jumped on for what she believes.

BTW Glad your dogs have both come throught the op OK and hope they recover quickly :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
dawn said:
I feel that Jax who is a very reputable whippet person has been umfairly jumped on for what she believes.
Jumped on? It was JAX who hijacked some poor girl's thread to criticise her decision at a time when she was worried enough! I really don't think it's JAX who deserves a sympathy vote here (although some tips on being kind to fellow human beings wouldn't go amiss).

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back