The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Barf Diet

affieluver

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi has anyone been feeding this diet to their dogs and if so how do you find it as i have been seriously considering it now for a while but would be interested to hear how people find it and how their dogs are on it in general thanks :thumbsup:

i have been reading up on this but it still a bit beyond me as to what is best.

thanks for putting this post up it should hopfully be very helpfull to me to :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mine have barf diet and ther doing great on it a bit to great as it happens so we have two of them going on a bit of a diet i wont mention no names :- "

yes - we're all on a raw meat and veg diet here

i have used several suppliers - can help you if you would like meat to be delivered - i find local abbattoirs really helpful though.

raw chicken wings are a favourite treat here - both for my dogs and cats.

ask away.......

animalady said:
yes - we're all on a raw meat and veg diet herei have used several suppliers - can help you if you would like meat to be delivered - i find local abbattoirs really helpful though.

ask away.......

does it cost more?

and how do you work out if their eating enough or to much? do you weigh it?

My are fed on raw meat with a little Royal Canin.............we get our meat straight from Forthglade as they are not far from us :thumbsup:

We also give them veg from a roast and sometimes rice and pasta :D

You can get some decent meats from the supermarket, freeze it first for them of you that dont know, thoroughly defrost, a good mixer, pasta, rice and veggies, bung in a linseed oil capsule, if like me you get a large bag of mince from the supermarket, just defrost a portion at a time

:cheers:

k4tie-d said:
animalady said:
yes - we're all on a raw meat and veg diet herei have used several suppliers - can help you if you would like meat to be delivered - i find local abbattoirs really helpful though.

ask away.......

does it cost more?

and how do you work out if their eating enough or to much? do you weigh it?

thanks katie thats actually what i was wondering too as one of mine is not a very good eater and will pick so how will i know if i am feeding her enough? :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
FORGOT TO ADD WE PAY ABOUT £11 SOMETHING FOR 40X 1LB BREEDER'S BOX,WORKS OUT ABOUT 30P PER 1LB WHICH IS GOOD :thumbsup:

Mine have a mixed diet but mainly BARF.

Chicken Wings or sardines/pilchards for breakfast.

Tripe/chicken/Beef/Lamb...whatever comes out of the freezer first....mixed with a little mixer Biscuit and raw veggies and sometimes pasta and rice.. :thumbsup:

I also give them goats milk and raw eggs...or scrambled eggs sometimes too.

There is also more information in the FAQ section on K9...lots of advice and other peoples questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
iv been reading through the FAQ's and some one said make sure you freeze all raw food first, why is this?? can you not just keep it in your firdge??

All the dogs in this thread are fed on BARF.

Shiny, Happy, Healthy Dogs :D

TCx

k4tie-d said:
iv been reading through the FAQ's and some one said make sure you freeze all raw food first,  why is this?? can you not just keep it in your firdge??
hi katie ive just ben reading the faq page and i think the reason you need to keep it frozen is to reduce the likelihood of the disease neospara its a protozoa that can kill a dog if it gets it you can reduce this risk by either cooking or freezing the meat i think, i personally think though if you use human grade meat you are a bit safer

ahhh i see well thats that rulled out then my freezer is barely big enough for our food :(

maybe need to see about a new bigger fridge/freezer :- " ;)

i do feed some raw, some cooked and use a complete food (w00t)

i get frozen pet mince 50 packs for £5

chicken frames at £5.50 a large box

off cuts of liver and fatty hearts also very cheap ( a full carrier bag for £2!!)

some have the chicken frames raw when im at a show , keeps them busy whilst dog sitter here , then the igs and puppies get the frames boiled down and stripped of meat and the juices soak their biscuit

mince is given raw usually but do cook a doggy stew 2 o3 times a wekk with veg and rice or pasta

also get lamb necks and ribs and depending on how much meat on they are either slowly boiled down or fed raw

the complete i use is red mills tracker which IS designed to be fed in addition to extras , also i add a bit of oil to the feed when i think they need it

my whole pack costs less than £40 a month to feed , and a few of those could do with a diet lol :lol:

im happy with my dogs condition and their coats , they are fit and healthy with plenty left in the tank after working or hard exercise so im very happy with the way i feed :thumbsup:

Bluebell :wub: is now on almost total Barf - she has chicken wing(s) for breakfast and raw lamb, chicken, turkey, beef mince for tea with either veg or wholemeat mixer - she is glowing with health and her weight has stayed a constant and reasonable level - she also adores it and will eat nothing else bar thje odd sardine and dog biscuit/treat/pigsear :thumbsup:

But beware once you've started barf there's no going back - she won't look at anything else :thumbsup:

Only thing I don't feed is meaty bones as I don't know what to get and what to ask the butcher for :unsure:

Blue has a 400g pack of mince each day and 1-3 chicken wings + treats

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back