The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Worst Thing That Could Happen...has

*Lesley*

Grand Master...Fluffy & nice
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I prayed that I would never be in this position and I am finding it hard to write this post, today Sienna bit Jordan my 7 year old son on the face, it's not the first time but we have put it down to misadventure before, she is the most loving and beautiful whippet but seems to have a thing about children sometimes, which means we can't trust her not to bite them when startled,I have to put my son's welfare first so I have no alternative but to rehome her.

Please don't say go back to the breeder although he would take her back I would like to rehome her myself, this is breaking my heart.

Sorry I will write more later I can't do it now

Oh Lesley how awful for you , Of course you must rehome her , that goes without saying :(

I do hope your little boy hasnt been too badly hurt and that he will not be scared of his other whippet friends .

Im sure you will rehome her straight away , but give her breeder a ring as he may have some one just right waiting for one of his puppies .

These things do happen so what ever you do dont beat yourself up about it , Shes had her chance with you and blew it , She obviously needs to go to a home without children .

Thinking of you

Jax

Lesley I am so sorry to hear your news. :( :( I hope that Jordan is ok. don't have any advice but just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family :huggles:

I really feel for you Lesley in having to make this decision :huggles:

My daughter was savaged by one of our Lurchers who had to be put down because of the severity of the damage (she ended up having plastic surgery). It was a combination of hot weather and a skin condition. It broke my heart. :(

Kids will be kids and dogs will be dogs, sometimes its their only way of communicating.

Heres hoping you find a childless home soon for her :thumbsup:

i'm very sorry to hear what happen :( your son does come first,so i hope you find a good loving home for her soon. thought are with you all :huggles: :huggles:

I have calmed down a little now,( and stopped crying) when we have looked at the situation it has only happened when sienna has been asleep on the furniture and has been woken abruptly from her sleep,by Jordan lolling on her, the rest of the time she is the most loving dog on earth with jordan more so than anybody, Jordan is more upset at the thought of her being rehomed than her biting him he loves her to bits, and is getting very distressed at the thought of her going, so we have decided to give her a second chance but to prevent it from happening again, we won't let them on the furniture( she has a perfectly comfy bed anyway) and have told Jordan that he must not lay on her when she's asleep, at the moment she is sat outside and will not come in because she knows what she's done, she is such a loving girl that we all feel she deserves a second chance.

Sorry to be so dramatic in my first post but I was so heartbroken I was falling to pieces :b

Thankyou for your wishes :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lesley,

I hope Jordan is OK and has recovered for the shock.

Good for you - I think you are doing the right thing. Change of rules for the whippies and I'm sure Jordan has had a big enough fright to not disturb them when they are sleeping again. -_-

Leia bit me a few weeks back - I'm 100% convinced she thought I was Holly, and she only meant to give Holly a bit of a telling off for disturbing her when she was asleep, but unfortunatley (or fortunately) it was me (well it is MY bed) and she got a good telling off from me - she was horrified...and slept the rest of the night on the floor . (w00t) Could have been a similar thing - Sienna thought is was Spry and was horrified to realise it was Jordon.

The heat makes them grumpier too I think.

Lots of love to you all. :huggles:

:( Sorry to hear your news Lesley, Hope whatever you decide to do works out ok for you. :(

I have a bitch like that, if any of the other dogs startle her when she is in a deep sleep she will snap at them. I know its different we have no children in the house,

you must see how things go.

Best of luck to you :luck:

We have had some problems with Bobby in certain situations. :angry: We don't let them on the furniture, but he used to have his own chair. Sometimes, if I wanted him to get off the chair, he would growl and 'threaten' me, particularly if I held his collar. I always put it down to a dominance thing (he thinks he is the boss), and I try to avoid those situations now.

I do hope your son is OK and not put off by the event. I think you are right in changing the rules a bit and setting a few boundaries to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Hope you have recovered from the trauma. :luck: :luck:

So sorry to hear your news Lesley, what a shock it must have been for all of you :(

Hope Jordan wasn't hurt too badley.

Lesley you know your dogs and child the best so go on your intuition, hope things turn out ok for you all :luck: :luck: :luck:

Julie

Oh Lesley what a roller coaster!

I do think you're doing the right thing though, i know where you're coming from about she shouldn't have done it but i think it's best all round if Jordan understands he's not to pester the dogs when they're asleep and like wise Sienna knows she doesn't own the sofa.

Poor Jordan. He's not having a good time at the mo is he. :(

Fingers crossed here that keeping the dogs off the furniture and Jordan being more aware of the consequences of touching sleeping dogs (ie that they'll be rehomed if they bite) works. Dunno if you have room for a crate. That might be a 'safer' place for Sienna to sleep even if the door is kept open. Just a thought.

I think your doing the right thing Lesley, Really hope Jordan is ok :luck: I got bit behind the ear by a dobermann when I was a child, I was rollerskating in the living room and fell onto the dog that was sleeping on the sofa at the time. The dog stayed and was chastised along with me for being a daft bugger. We lived happily ever after and I hope Jordan and Sienna do too. :luck:

Jac

Glad you've decided to give Sienna another chance Lesley :thumbsup: I couldn't imagine Callie without Sienna. :huggles:

Hope you are all feeling a bit better now :huggles: :huggles:

Hi Lesley,

Am really sorry to hear about the situation your in at the moment. :(

I do hope that Jordan is ok and not hurt. :luck:

Your thread reminded me of “Zac” my first whippet and the very same happened to my youngest daughter who would have been about 4 years old at that time. She was luckier the Jordan and wasn’t bitten, but it was Zac’s reaction to bite. He too was asleep and also on the sofa.

We took the steps of never allowing him on the furniture any more, it took some time as he was so use to just jumping up and sitting next to us. For us it worked and he never did anything again.

I REALLY DO HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR THE BEST.

Dave :wub:

It seems like the same situation as seen in a lot of doogy/kiddie households!

Dog bites child > child screams > mum asks what what happened > child says i didnt do anything > mum panicks and wonders what to do for the best > child admits to foulplay (w00t)

Glad to hear she's staying put, she probably knows she's done wrong.

BTW had to laugh at Jac :D rollerskating in the house (w00t)

This link may be useful for Jordon. I'm sure you are making the right choice in keeping her, unfortuante accidents do and will happen around children and dogs.

Oh Lesley what a nightmare.

Some dogs are easily startled when woken out of sleep. I hope this is what it is, and the steps you've taken should prevent it.

Hugs!!

Wendy

Thanks so much for your support everyone it has been an awful day, Jordan is fine he has a small punture on his cheek and lip and was more shaken than anything at the time but he is fine now, I think it was just such a shocking time and OH got really mad and said "thats it rehome her" then me and Jordan got upset Oh was really upset about it too the thought of her going and it all spiralled which made the situation twice as bad( Jordan has had a talk with Sienna who is still outside by choice and they are friends again :huggles: )

We will be ever watchful of the situation and I think Jordan has finally realised that he shouldn't throw himself on a sleeping dog and she won't be on the furniture in future, they sleep in a crate with comfy bedding so they can lay in that for day time sleep too, I feel we are to blame as well because we let them forget they are lower down the pecking order which is easily done until something like this happens, thanks again everyone :huggles:

Indee said:
This link may be useful for Jordon. I'm sure you are making the right choice in keeping her, unfortuante accidents do and will happen around children and dogs.

that is a really good link Indee thanx :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back