The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Worst Thing That Could Happen...has

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lesley, what an awful couple of days. Glad to hear Sienna is staying and Jordon is none the worse for wear.

Having Jordon feed the dogs and the crate sound like an excellent idea. I'll be surprised if you have any luck keeping her of the furniture, just my opinion, but I don't think that will change anything.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesa said:
Having Jordon feed the dogs and the crate sound like an excellent idea. 
:lol: sorry to be so flippant but I was just wondering what you were planning to give the crate for its tea...?? :lol: :teehee: :clown:

I'll get my coat... :b

~Helen~ said:
Tesa said:
Having Jordon feed the dogs and the crate sound like an excellent idea. 

:lol: sorry to be so flippant but I was just wondering what you were planning to give the crate for its tea...?? :lol: :teehee: :clown:

I'll get my coat... :b

Furry bedding of course what else is there :- "

aslan said:
Max&Smokey said:
But the dog must learn that there is no excuse to bite / growl at a child.
I disagree. What about the rottie with the pencil shoved into its ear - you don't think it had a right to growl? Or bite if someone had rubbed the ear hard? How else do you expect it to say "don't touch me there"?

Many people forget that dogs only have three ways of telling you that they don't appreciate what you're doing or reacting in shocked fear - (1) to run away ( 2) to growl (3) to bite. They don't have many options and many people expect them to be able to reason out which option would be best for the "person" involved?

Dog: "kid is flogging me with a baseball bat - aww he's only a kid I'd better not bite him, it's wrong to bite a child, so I'd better just run away"

Dog: " burglar is flogging me with baseball bat - mmm he's a burglar, he's an adult, my owner would say it's ok to bite him".

No-one can convince me that dogs have the ability to reason about their actions before they complete them. Especially in a situation of shock or fear.

Hear Hear, very well put :thumbsup:

Tracy Chamberlain said:
aslan said:
Max&Smokey said:
But the dog must learn that there is no excuse to bite / growl at a child.
I disagree. What about the rottie with the pencil shoved into its ear - you don't think it had a right to growl? Or bite if someone had rubbed the ear hard? How else do you expect it to say "don't touch me there"?

Many people forget that dogs only have three ways of telling you that they don't appreciate what you're doing or reacting in shocked fear - (1) to run away ( 2) to growl (3) to bite. They don't have many options and many people expect them to be able to reason out which option would be best for the "person" involved?

Dog: "kid is flogging me with a baseball bat - aww he's only a kid I'd better not bite him, it's wrong to bite a child, so I'd better just run away"

Dog: " burglar is flogging me with baseball bat - mmm he's a burglar, he's an adult, my owner would say it's ok to bite him".

No-one can convince me that dogs have the ability to reason about their actions before they complete them. Especially in a situation of shock or fear.

Hear Hear, very well put :thumbsup:

Absolutely :thumbsup:

Aslan,

I think you need to take the sentence in context with the whole reply. The points I was trying to make are :-

a) Give the dog somewhere to sleep where it isnt bothered. Tell the children they are not to go there, as the saying goes "Let sleeping dogs lie".

b) Ensure the dog is loved and cherished but dont let it think its status is equal to or above the children.

c) If the dog growls even if it is understandable still tell them off and send them to thier box. Then deal with the problem and ensure it doesnt happen again.

You will never get rid of instinct and when there are extremes the dog will react to it by biting , growling etc my reply was a generalisation it wont cover every senario.

I am glad that everything has worked out for Lesley she has taken action to ensure it wont happen again and identified what caused it. Things happen and in hindsight we can always say what should have been done, if we didnt love the children or the pets it wouldnt be a problem.

Regards

Chris

Max&Smokey said:
c) If the dog growls even if it is understandable still tell them off and send them to thier box. Then deal with the problem and ensure it doesnt happen again.
Chris

I still have a bit of a problem with this one. I understand what you're saying, but this can become really dangerous. If you teach a dog never to growl then you are taking away it's ability to warn someone off. A growl is the warning that comes before the bite. If you take away the warning then in an extreme situation where a dog might normally give a warning, the dog will now go straight to bite.

I think each situation should be taken as individual. There are ways of telling the dog 'enough' rather than correcting it. The growl has been given - the dog has done it's job of warning - you tell the dog 'enough' and YOU take over the correction to the person/child/whomever is being warned. This is very different than not allowing a dog to growl and give warning.

Wendy

Wendy,

I can see what you are saying, perhaps it is very difficult to put into a few words how I dealt with bringing up the children and pets.

I am just glad everything has worked out OK for this family and their dog.

Regards

Chris

there is so much to learn about having a dog as a member of your family,

at least on this forum experiences can be shared and maybe the situation in another hosehold can be avoided

good advis from all around :thumbsup:

glad to hear Jordan is ok,lovely to hear everything working out.lots of :huggles: :huggles: to you all

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back