The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Worst Thing That Could Happen...has

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What an awful situation, hope everything settles down and becomes more harmonious. :huggles:

:( hope Jordan is OK now and realises what caused it, that link is really good for kids, hope it doesn't happen again, I'm sure you're all wary now :huggles:

Hi. Just seen this. I'm so sorry this happened. I had a similar experience when my terrier was young. My friends daughter ( who was often round our house)hugged her when she was asleep in her bed. She snapped really nastily but luckily didn't hurt Holly. Holly was lectured about not touching her when she was sleeping and Mollie was told off. She knew she had done wrong and never did it again. I hope this works out for you. Thinking of you. Hugs. J XX ( one for Jordan X )

:huggles: :huggles: :huggles: Just logged on and read this and I'm shocked!

Poor Jordan give him a HUGE hug from me!!

think you could do with one too :huggles:

god I hope I'm never in this position EVER!! My kids are often sat in the dogs beds with them when they are sleeping, but I think I'll be putting a stop to that, just incase :unsure:

I don't ever want to even consider re-homing them!

I'd rather re-home my kids (w00t)

I hope this 'off the sofa' works out for you and Sienna :luck: :luck:

:unsure: :( Lesley- Just managed to log on too today and read this - Im shocked too - I bet you are all feeling shocked.

Its good you are not being too hesitant .. and giving her a second chance. Im sure she deserves it. :luck: Hope Jordan is ok poor lad - Im sure he'd be devastated if you rehomed her - I know my kids would too in that situation. Of course Jordan comes first. :thumbsup: But dogs are family too

Funny thing is - Kobi even though hes only 17 weeks - growls if my daughter Louise picks him up sometimes, I tell him not to be naughty - he only does it with her for some strange reason :unsure: I want this nipping in the bud too.

Anyway Lesley hope things work out - it wouldnt be the same without Callie, Sienna and Spry. :huggles: :wub: and JORDAN

awwww lesley what a rollercoaster of a thread!im glad youve decided to keep her.in my opinion she didnt mean to hurt him or she would have done.she was just giving him a warning nip.my rollerskating daughter got a good telling off and so did the dog.but i didnt think of getting the dog rehomed.it was just one of those things.certainly made jac more aware of who she fell on in the future! :- "

What an awful day for you Lesley.

Austin sank his teeth into OH bigtime a few months back (the disruption brought along with HellPuppy got a bit out of hand) and OH has decided he's on his last chance, but at the end of the day if a dog is frightened or cornered then of course they will defend themselves by nature. It doesn't mean they are dangerous or aggressive.

Hopefully this will be a good learning experience for Jordan and nothing more. Having seen the behaviour of some kids in the waiting room (carting puppies around by the neck, pulling strange dogs' ears, poking fingers through cat cages :eek: ) I am amazed - but I guess there's some serious mutual respect going on in your house right now though!

Hope you all feel better when tomorrow comes :))

Hi, this is the first time i've replied to any of the posts on this forum, and it will probably be the last. Hope no real damage has been done, to the child but i've got to add,

I own a Bull mastiff & a Border Terrier, both brought up around children and if one of my dogs so much as growled at one of my kids it would get a 'lead pipe massage', straight away. Dogs are Dogs, and they have got to know that!!

Sorry for upseting probably most of the forum but both my wife and i agree that the dog would have to go

Last edited by a moderator:
brokenbrain said:
  I own a Bull mastiff & a Border Terrier, both brought up around children and if one of my dogs so much as growled at one of my kids it would get a 'lead pipe massage', straight away.
:unsure: Your opinion is one which would be shared by many people (including myself in the case of certain dogs and situations), but I think it would be prudent to opt for a vet to put your dog to sleep, rather than what you have suggested above. :(

I disagree there (with broken brain) :unsure: - sorry too - but a 'bite' and an attack on a child are totally different things. Personally I think the circumstances around the situation matter a lot too.

A 'Lead Pipe Massage' - I THINK NOT :rant:

brokenbrain said:
Hi, this is the first time i've replied to any of the posts on this forum, and it will probably be the last. Hope no real damage has been done, to the child but i've got to add,  I own a Bull mastiff & a Border Terrier, both brought up around children and if one of my dogs so much as growled at one of my kids it would get a 'lead pipe massage', straight away. Dogs are Dogs, and they have got to know that!!

Sorry for upseting probably most of the forum but both my wife and i agree that the dog would have to go

We all have our own view's :- " ......but Lesley has taken into account her dogs natural behaviour and has seen why this incident has occurred .......One of my lot bit my son when he pushed her back on the sofa ........Luckily I tried to see if there was a reason for this ......and yes there was, Inca had a fall during racing which resulted to a her dislodging a piece of cartilage right on her spine .......There are lot's of different reason why dogs snap, and yes most of them are due to dominance issues, but most are easily rectified without the destruction of the dog ......or rehousing of the child :b

So sorry, Lesley, I've been out all day and was so shocked to read your post(s). So glad Sienna's having another chance - it would be heartbreaking to split up the sisters :(

Hope Jordan is okay. Yes, I think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, not loll on them :thumbsup: :D

Strike Whippets said:
brokenbrain said:
Hi, this is the first time i've replied to any of the posts on this forum, and it will probably be the last. Hope no real damage has been done, to the child but i've got to add,  I own a Bull mastiff & a Border Terrier, both brought up around children and if one of my dogs so much as growled at one of my kids it would get a 'lead pipe massage', straight away. Dogs are Dogs, and they have got to know that!!

We all have our own view's :- " ......but Lesley has taken into account her dogs natural behaviour and has seen why this incident has occurred .......One of my lot bit my son when he pushed her back on the sofa ........Luckily I tried to see if there was a reason for this ......and yes there was, Inca had a fall during racing which resulted to a her dislodging a piece of cartilage right on her spine .......There are lot's of different reason why dogs snap, and yes most of them are due to dominance issues, but most are easily rectified without the destruction of the dog ......or rehousing of the child :b

i got to say i dont think much to the lead pipe massage idea. my whip recently growled at my 12 year old daughter when she opened the drivers door of my car, i dont think she recognised her straight away, as my daughter does not live with me but visits fairly often. but as soon as she went to the passenger door and said move roo, roo wagged her tail and was ok. whippets can be a little jumpy they react very quickly its that instinct that makes them such great hunters.

I am very sorry for you and your family Lesley. Unfortunately, these things do happen from time to time...I am certain that a good parent will know when a situation has been antagonised by child.........I have always been very wary of dogs and children in hot weather, if dogs feel any-thing like me, no-one is safe from a snarl :eek: If you think your lad was too blame, fine, let Sienna have another chance. I think moving the boundaries is a brilliant idea. Sienna needs to learn that Jordan is higher than her in the pack. Hopefully both parties will have gained a mutual respect and learnt a valuable lesson tonight. I pray I am never in your sitiation, mine is 11 now, so I am less likely to be...Saying that, my 4 year old God-daughter was round tonight....she thought screaming at top volume when Fynn said 'Hello' was hilarious.........I thought it was very scary, and removed my lovable puppy from the room.......They only have so much tolerance.Wishing you well, and I hope I never read a post like this from you again :luck:

brokenbrain said:

Thanks for your input Brokenbrain, and how nice it must be to have such a clear cut view of things, emotions can be such a bind can't they :(

Most people on the forum are familiar with me and my dogs and know that they mean the world to me, but I would in no way put my son in jepardy or anyone else for that matter.

Jordan is fine, he laid on her when she was asleep and she retaliated, she did not savagely attack him if she had I would have taken steps and had her humainly euthanised as I don't see how beating her with a lead pipe would make the situation better.

But we all have our own ways and I was given support from the people who count :thumbsup:

Hi again Lesley. I have been thinking of you all evening and I was wondering. Is it possible that Sienna was in such a deep sleep that she instinctively protected herself from what seemed like an attack before she realised her mistake? My 5 year old Whippie was obviously having some sort of night mare? the other day. She was really distressed, not the usual Whippie dreams. I woke her gently and she seemed disorietated for a few seconds. It happened twice and the 2nd time I called her outside and made sure she was fully awake. It hasn't happened again, thank goodness. Just a thought. Again, wishing you all the best. Glad Jordan is feeling better.

brokenbrain said:

You sound the sort that could do with a lead pipe massage yourself! I would hardly think that by doing something like that would put a dog in it's place! :rant: :rant:

Lesley,i'm so sorry to here of the ordeal you've all been put through today :( .I'm glad you're giving Sienna another chance.

When it comes down to it,dogs,like us humans,need their own space.I'm non too happy if one of my dogs jumps on me when i'm asleep,so i wouldn't expect one of them to be too happy if they're suddenly jumped on when sleeping.

Murphy once growled at Nigel when he went to move him off the settee when he was fast asleep.It made him jump & he expressed his feelings in the only way he knew how,& he is one of the friendliest dogs you could wish to know.I'm afraid Nigel got a good rollocking from me for being so stupid.

Now you are fully aware of the situation,i know you won't let this problem happen again. :huggles: to all of you.

Juley said:
Hi again Lesley.  I have been thinking of you all evening and I was wondering. Is it possible that Sienna was in such a deep sleep that she instinctively protected herself from what seemed like an attack before she realised her mistake?  My 5 year old Whippie was obviously having some sort of night mare? the other day. She was really distressed, not the usual Whippie dreams.  I woke her gently and she seemed disorietated for a few seconds. It happened twice and the 2nd time I called her outside and made sure she was fully awake.  It hasn't happened again, thank goodness.  Just a thought. Again, wishing you all the best.  Glad Jordan is feeling better.

I think that could be it exaclty Juley because I'm positive she would never bite Jordan intentionally if you could see them together you'd know why :huggles: she is such a loving and soft dog when she's awake more so than the others infact, as soon as it happened you could tell by her face that she knew she's messed up big style she didn't come back in the house for hours just laid outside with her head down and even when she did come back in she went straight into her bed and she's stayed there ever since.

I am hoping that Jordan will have also learnt from this(it's the hard way i know and I wish it hadn't been that way) but I have told him before to leave them alone when they are sleeping, maybe this time he will :thumbsup:

I have learnt from it too so I am hoping that this will be the last time I have to put a post on like this what an awful day it's been, thats why I am up at quarter past 11 I can't sleep :(

Lesley how old is Jordan? Does he help at all with any of the dog routines? If he's old enough it would probably help if HE fed them one of their meals and did a bit of training with them (sit, down etc), so that they can also recognise that he IS higher than them in the pack. Overall I think you've hit the nail on the head, but this would also help.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back