The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Uk Top Lure Coursing Whippet Compitition

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I don't think that there will be a problem in making up the numbers as Hannah fears (w00t) :D . I think there is every chance that Bramble is going to win this.I would like to know how tall the winner's trophy will be :blink: I might need to contact a cabinet maker :clown: Further , and again totally seriously :)) , I think that the deputy chief Parkstoner and Pennymeadow Whippets should be congratulated on seeing the merit in this coursing proposition and taking steps to make it happen. I do have my doubts on the 21 inch aspect but can live with that :angry:

Fully behind you and expecting victory

LAMPINGMAN :cheers:

21" as long as they are K.C. Whippets,they shouldn't be discriminated agianst.

21" i can just about do :D

i'll deffo put summat to run in

if you print out some flyers when events are more final i'll take them round the shows with me :thumbsup:

THIS IS THE WAY TO ESTAIBLISH THE TOP LURE COURSING WHIPPET IN THE COUNTRY!!!

lamping man said:
I do have my doubts on the 21 inch aspect but can live with that :angry:
Ideally all whippets would still be under 20" :- " , but realistically you will end up excluding a lot of good whippets of all kinds (as the average male whippet is probably just over 20" these days) , and surely the idea is to encourage more people to get involved? Makes sense to bring it in line with racing height, imho.

It would be nice to have some non-ped and lurcher stakes too as there are a lot of people with both who find that whippet- or lurcher-only events aren't terrible welcoming to the minority dogs.

moriarte said:
lamping man said:
I do have my doubts on the 21 inch aspect but can live with that :angry:
Ideally all whippets would still be under 20" :- " , but realistically you will end up excluding a lot of good whippets of all kinds (as the average male whippet is probably just over 20" these days) , and surely the idea is to encourage more people to get involved? Makes sense to bring it in line with racing height, imho.

It would be nice to have some non-ped and lurcher stakes too as there are a lot of people with both who find that whippet- or lurcher-only events aren't terrible welcoming to the minority dogs.

Yes. I think that non peds and lurchers would enhance the days. There are too many clubs /people that would seek to exclude rather than include these types. Let them in I say :thumbsup:

lampy

Strike Whippets said:
Mark Roberts said:
Great idea Mark (thats 2 in 1 week now, you go steady
I know nothing for years then 2 in as many weeks :blink:

Well they say wisdom comes with age :- " ......IF you had adequate numbers wanting to do this would you consider a puppy stake and vets (6 and over) stake....to help keep the numbers up ??

On second thoughts, I could put 3 veterans up assuming that 6 yrs would be the minimum and that it didn't take place until Sept.Alternatively, I could do two for June. :thumbsup:

springfield said:

Heights etc ....have to stop some where ......There are limits in racing and on the coursing field (and supposed to be in the ring :- " ).....It wouldn't be fair on my 18 inch bitch to run against a 21 inch dog .......

lamping man said:
Strike Whippets said:
Mark Roberts said:
Great idea Mark (thats 2 in 1 week now, you go steady
I know nothing for years then 2 in as many weeks :blink:

Well they say wisdom comes with age :- " ......IF you had adequate numbers wanting to do this would you consider a puppy stake and vets (6 and over) stake....to help keep the numbers up ??

On second thoughts, I could put 3 veterans up assuming that 6 yrs would be the minimum and that it didn't take place until Sept.Alternatively, I could do two for June. :thumbsup:

I can do my fastest lad in May :lol:

Strike Whippets said:
springfield said:

Heights etc ....have to stop some where ......There are limits in racing and on the coursing field (and supposed to be in the ring :- " ).....It wouldn't be fair on my 18 inch bitch to run against a 21 inch dog .......

Quite right Hannah. It was for that very reason that I have misgivings on the 21

inch rule.I personally have 2 19and 1/2 dogs thatwill hold their own with anybody's

but have experienced occasions when hare coursing with smaller dogs that they were at a distinct disadvantage when put against dogs at the extreme of the size range. In my experience, I have held the view that a good big un will generally beat a good little un. As i' ve said, I can live with the 21 aspect but have certain doubts for the smaller eshelon and how they will fare :thumbsup:

lamping man said:
As i' ve said, I can live with the 21 aspect but have certain doubts for the smaller eshelon and how they will fare :thumbsup:
If there are enough dogs, couldn't they be segregated into different stakes for different sizes?

NON of my boys have ever reached 20" let alone 21" :eek: .......Fairness has to be there otherwise people won't enter .....I sure as hell wouldn't expect my 21 lb, 19" boy to run against a 32lb+, 21" dog in his first heat ..... as a competition progresses then that's ok - ish.....but it would be an extremely unfair advantage for the first round ..... Just my humble opinion though ....Plus I think Whippets lose their appeal if they become too big :oops: ....Running for cover now lol .....

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2 seasons running with The Northwest LCC if memory serves me right in only 2 meetings did the biggest whippet win the main stake & to pick a winner at the start of a fairly run meeting is IMO almost impossible as each course is different the course is then reversed each meeting also has a different shaped & sized course

I've seen bigger dogs win at coursing and lure coursing ......Because my lot are on the smaller side I wouldn't run them with bigger dogs ....I saw what happened to my old lad at the uphill sprint as he was knocked senseless by a dog only 2" taller and 5lbs heavier than him ....Never again ......So as Elizabeth said, perhaps splitting them in weight groups may be an option .......

Strike Whippets said:
I've seen bigger dogs win at coursing and lure coursing ......Because my lot are on the smaller side I wouldn't run them with bigger dogs ....I saw what happened to my old lad at the uphill sprint as he was knocked senseless by a dog only 2" taller and 5lbs heavier than him ....Never again ......So as Elizabeth said, perhaps splitting them in weight groups may be an option .......
That's the problem at lurcher lurecoursing, they mix all sizes and it's neither safe nor entertaining to have really poorly-matched dogs running.

On the other hand, it would be good to include all sorts of whippets - show, race, coursing and working-bred running in the same event, all judged by the same people, if only to put an end to the endless going on about which sort has more speed, stamina etc. 21" would ensure you had a good mix and no one could claim they were being deliberately excluded or discriminated against :wacko:

On the other hand, it would be good to include all sorts of whippets - show, race, coursing and working-bred running in the same event, all judged by the same people, if only to put an end to the endless going on about which sort has more speed, stamina etc. 21" would ensure you had a good mix and no one could claim they were being deliberately excluded or discriminated against
Exactly, but this is planned for a KC whippet stake nothing more nothing less, Vets and pups might be a good idea (vets definatly)

21" would allow dogs from all spheres to take part, (racing/show/work/lure coursing) unfortunatly for me if you start spliting them into weight hight groups then your defeating the whole idea of what its being run for "to find the top whippet".

the idea is to find the top lure coursing whippet in the UK not the top whippet under over a certain weight/hight?

as those who have done lure coursing know it's not always the biggest that wins or the fastest.

some good ideas being thrown about.

So lets say were having 21" (or under) dogs must be KC registerd.

Vets 6 years and over (on the day of the event concerned)

Pups? now this is the 1 that i need suggestions about? obviously you dont want pups as in 6 months olds running my idea of a pup taking part would be 12 months onwards but then if you had pups say from 12-18 months that would take a lot of runners away from the main stake?. (any suggestions from people welcome?)

Candy will be made up your having a vets stake she"ll be 8 in march, (w00t) and cant wait, and who knows we may even be able to prise her brother Sam up off his bed to. :- " Little Todd all 11 1/2lb of him says can he just come and watch please, :lol: even his mum towers above him and shes 1 of the smallest on the racing circuit. :huggles:

Tink said she'd go round with Todd .....She's now a whopping nearly 14lb's :D ......Pups 12 - 18 months sound good, and will they all come out of slips ??

Pups 12 - 18 months sound good
But wouldnt that take runners away from the main stake? I think pups are a good idea (ie: top UK lure coursing pup) ?.

yep all dogs run from slips then theres no moaning that an owner slipped theirs early ect ect ect ect (why do I get myself into these things? i'm not a bad person realy :( )

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back