The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Uk Top Lure Coursing Whippet Compitition

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
But wouldnt that take runners away from the main stake? I think pups are a good idea (ie: top UK lure coursing pup) ?

Well it would, but it would be fairer all round with the split in ages as its sad watching a baby competing against an experienced dog, or a vet trying to compete against a dog at the prime of life ......

Mark Roberts said:
Tink said she'd go round with Todd .....She's now a whopping nearly 14lb's
Sorry but we're not running Todd against big dogs Hannah :p

LOL .....As Paula said, it would have to be small for those 2 ......I couldn't run them round, as even the rollers dwarf them .....We had to lower our bend rail as Tink ran round underneath it (w00t)

Ok weve had several PM's from people off here and off other sites.

if they event comes off (which is looking likely) then it will be to find the top UK KC Registered lure coursing whippet.

the only qualifying criteria will be the dog must be KC registerd, dogs/bitch's must be under 21" (at the shoulder) and all dogs to run in muzzles.

All dogs in each group to run together (ie: just under 21") the reason being if you start splitting into smaller groups your only getting the best from the small group rather than overall?.

from reading the thread and PM's it seems most would like a main group and a pup/vets.

so how does

pups 12-18 months sound (owners may choose to run pups in adult class but pups must only be entered for 1 class ie: pup/adult)

Veterans 6 years and over (ideas for up to what age please)

The plan is to run 8 qualifiers around the country with the winner/runner up qualifying for finals the venue for the final being in the center of the country.

The finals will consist of 3 x 16 dog stakes (puppy/adult/vet)

now were still looking for a few extra venues if you know of any please PM me.

once all this is sorted we'll look into making some definat plans, we've already had interest from owners of racing/show/working breeding so we should have a good cross section of differant lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 - 9 would seem suitable to me. Will any measuring take place at the venues? When hare coursing, heights were very rigorously enforced and at the top end it needed to be as some people had different ideas on what an inch was, if you get my meaning. Just a thought but any contentious issues will need to be addressed at an early stage to avoid potential problems later on :blink:

LAMPY :thumbsup:

Will any measuring take place at the venues? When hare coursing, heights were very rigorously enforced and at the top end it needed to be as some people had different ideas on what an inch was, if you get my meaning
I built a new 25" measuring stick yesterday so any dog close to the upper limit can/will be measured.

I agree that any potential issues we can spot need to be sorted before we go ahead to save moaning at a later date.

Mark Roberts said:
I think 6 - 9 for vets
I was thinking the same, what does everyone else think.

What ever brings the most dogs in to compete. I'm running a 7 year old dog with much younger ones, as there are only a couple of over 7s at BSFA, and the other older non-vets are all very lurewise. :(

The bigger dog doesn't always win :- " :b

dog18.jpg

Then he is a gentleman and doesn't barge nice lady whippets :D (only ones bigger than he is :wacko: and it's surprising how dainty a 20" whippet looks compared to some too :- " )

Just practically, it might make some sense to run youngsters together, as it's frustrating putting one that runs well in with one that has learned to cheat. Which raises the question of what system would be used? the closed loop circuit is worse in this respect than some systems.

It sounds like great fun to me .......You can use Cotswolds ground if you think its suitable :thumbsup: .......Looking forward to a fun competition, as isn't that what its all about :D

.......Looking forward to a fun competition, as isn't that what its all about

Thank you Hannah, i'm sure the South Cotts will make an excelant venue.

Looking forward to some good events with like minded people.

im really looking forwards to attending some of these events , will be great to see , just sorry my whippy pup will be too young for this year! :(

if todd and tinks wana race im sure the ever sexy dynamite blue would love to run with them!!! :)

hi all, could i enter something like this with my 2 or do you have to enter on merit or be member of a club. :cheers:

Mark Roberts said:
I think 6 - 9 for vets
I was thinking the same, what does everyone else think.

I think 6 seems a bit young to count as a Veteran why not 7, as in showing and the BSFA lure coursing? I would prefer that the upper limit is discretionary (by owner/organiser's mutual agreement???). I have a (show bred) bitch who is coming up 9 in July and although she may not be that fast, she is still as fit and active/keen as my younger dogs.

Please count me in anyway!!! I must admit I quite miss going to different venues now that the BSFA is based solely in Newbury.

at this stage were still looking for ideas/suggestions as to what format people would like to see.

Mark Roberts said:
at this stage were still looking for ideas/suggestions as to what format people would like to see.
Well at BSFA you just pay your money and pair up the dogs to run as you like, irrespective of which class they are in. I prefer to run my own dogs together as I know their strengths and weaknesses but I will usually either have a 'spare' dog or am willing to run a dog a 2nd time if there is one without a partner. For the entry fee they get two scored runs, one in the morning and one in the afternoon when the course is reversed. This would be my preferred format.

I certainly don't agree with pulling names out of a hat as it were because it is always my luck for my dogs to get drawn against unsuitable dogs! I don't care from a competition point of view but I think it disappoints the dogs if they are ill-matched and, after all, we are running them for their enjoyment!!

I think Sussex Longdogs run it as a 'match', i.e. the winner of each course goes through to the next round, but not sure as I have not been to one of their meetings. OK as far as the competition goes but a bit boring if your dog is not the 'winner' of its course!!

I certainly don't agree with pulling names out of a hat as it were because it is always my luck for my dogs to get drawn against unsuitable dogs! I don't care from a competition point of view but I think it disappoints the dogs if they are ill-matched and, after all, we are running them for their enjoyment!!
for this event they will be drawn out of a hat as the idea is that the best dog goes through each round, it's worked for many years for the FA cup and the waterloo cup was drawn that way, hopefully if the draws done in public then no one will be able to accuse of of rigging the draw to suit certain dogs, you may get 2 good or bad 1's together in round one but thats the way a fair draw works.

The dogs will be judge against each other not against a score card as at the BSFA.

Mark Roberts said:
for this event they will be drawn out of a hat as the idea is that the best dog goes through each round, it's worked for many years for the FA cup and the waterloo cup was drawn that way, hopefully if the draws done in public then no one will be able to accuse of of rigging the draw to suit certain dogs, you may get 2 good or bad 1's together in round one but thats the way a fair draw works.

The dogs will be judge against each other not against a score card as at the BSFA.

I don't find a problem with dogs out of the hat. It's fair and with a size limit in place there is no problem with hugely different size differentials. It is only when a no size limit applies that a need to be more selective over who runs with whom should be considered. I would further say that a limit of 20 inches meets the random draw aspect more or less ideally,but 21 inches moves significantly away from that principle.

Lampy :thumbsup:

Mark Roberts said:

Hmmm, in an ideal world where everything is equal maybe but not when you have show bred dogs running against racing bred dogs. I am not thinking about 'rigging' but ill-matched dogs running against one another does concern me.

dessie said:
Mark Roberts said:

Hmmm, in an ideal world where everything is equal maybe but not when you have show bred dogs running against racing bred dogs. I am not thinking about 'rigging' but ill-matched dogs running against one another does concern me.

i you are entering dogs into a coursing comp surely they should be able to compete with any dog in their class?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back