The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Uk Top Lure Coursing Whippet Compitition

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
dessie said:
Hmmm, in an ideal world where everything is equal maybe but not when you have show bred dogs running against racing bred dogs. 
Surely the point of a more highly-organised competition is to determine the best dogs at simulated coursing, and let the best dog win, with no 'handicapping'. We've rarely had partners carefully pre-arranged at BSFA, have run against all sorts of sizes and kinds whippets depending on whoever has had a spare dog available (usually rather younger ones than ours too) and honestly couldn't complain that we've ever had an unfair draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't think breeding can make all the difference my two show bred dogs will and have held their own with race bred dogs no worries, I think they either take to it or they don't, speed is good for the straight but can't sometimes be a burden for the turns :thumbsup:

I also think if they are totally focussed on the lure, what they are running with would be irrelevent to them, to an extent of course :)

Masta refers to competing against any dog in its class. I totally agree. But what is the class? When hare coursing we had stakes for (for example) 8 smaller whippets. There would be a stake for 8 all aged whippets and maybe a stake for 8 larger whippets. This suggests that realistically you cannot expect a small whippet to compete against a large whippet. Now we all know that a course can produce all sorts of pitfalls and good and bad luck affecting one or both dogs in unequal measure. Discounting that, and in general . a good large dog will in most cases beat a good small one and for that reason there has to be (or should be in my opinion) cognisance of size differentials.

in an ideal world where everything is equal maybe but not when you have show bred dogs running against racing bred dogs. I am not thinking about 'rigging' but ill-matched dogs running against one another does concern me
The problem is if you start splitting then into groups ie: racing bred/ show bred ect then your only going to get the best dog from that group.

There is often a lot of descussion between racers/show people regarding which dogs are best ect ect so by running all the dogs together you would answer many questions.

The lure coursing we run (as Lesley has said) often favours the slower dog that can turn quick not the out and out speedster.

at the Venture Hill climb it was always suggested that the coursing lines would win on the 400yd steep uphill course due to their extra stamina, but when put together the racing dogs often came out on top.

When Pennymeadow & Myself sat talking about organising such an event it was meant to be an afternoon out for a bit of fun (with a competitive edge) at the end of the day the dog that wins would only be the best dog on the day, on another day, course layout you might get a differant winner.

So come on lets stop bitching and moaning and lets see how many are realy up for an afternoon out a bit of banter a few drinks and may the best dog/bitch win.

Mark Roberts said:
Ok i've just had a call and been offord the use of a field in South Wales for 1 of the Heats, and we've got a venue in Lancashire so 6 more venues needed around the country.

[/quote

Sorry can't stand by without offering the ultimate venue (well placed for Mel if you are using a slipper) South Shropshire, 25m west of Ludlow, 17m Craven Arms A490, 8 acres sloping ground. Two hours min from M5/M54.

Photo attached. More if required. LD7 1UW

Angela Bayley said:
Mark Roberts said:
Ok i've just had a call and been offord the use of a field in South Wales for 1 of the Heats, and we've got a venue in Lancashire so 6 more venues needed around the country.

[/quote

Sorry can't stand by without offering the ultimate venue (well placed for Mel if you are using a slipper) South Shropshire, 25m west of Ludlow, 17m Craven Arms A490, 8 acres sloping ground. Two hours min from M5/M54.

Photo attached. More if required. LD7 1UW

That venue looks spot on Angela, i'll give you a shout for more details if thats ok as we progress.

we were going to use our own slipper (to keep entry fees down for everyone) but Mel might be willing to judge that meeting?.

on the subject of entry fee's the plan is to only charge enough to cover the expenses (ie: judge, land fee, trophy's) and a financial sheet will be produced after the event to show were money was spent ect.

i've split this thread away from the Bob Blatch as it was getting bogged down with rubbish, all constructive ideas/suggestions welcome.

*Lesley* said:
I also think [SIZE=14pt]if they are totally focussed on the lure[/SIZE], what they are running with would be irrelevent to them, to an extent of course :)
I'm afraid this is the problem especially with whippets who've coursed live. Certainly is with some of mine (which I don't run). There is always the risk of getting drawn against a dog that plays.

Angela

Only just seen this thread - I am definitely in with one of mine and hopefully two of them, both a smidgeon over 20" and both half coursing lines and half show lines :D

Can't wait - great idea :cheers:

Angela Bayley said:
I'm afraid this is the problem especially with whippets who've coursed live. Certainly is with some of mine (which I don't run). There is always the risk of getting drawn against a dog that plays.
That's interesting, thinking about it the dogs that have live-coursed at BSFA also tend to be the lurewise ones. :wacko:

How do you plan to set it up ? Will it be a closed-loop circuit?

wasnt planning on the closed loop set up, the plan was to have an open drag that way the course can be changed after every round not just reversed, hopefully that should confuse the clever dogs?.

Mark Roberts said:
wasnt planning on the closed loop set up, the plan was to have an open drag that way the course can be changed after every round not just reversed, hopefully that should confuse the clever dogs?.
That sounds brill!

All sounds fantastic. Count me and Esme in please.

Mark Roberts said:
That venue looks spot on Angela, i'll give you a shout for more details if thats ok as we progress.
we were going to use our own slipper (to keep entry fees down for everyone) but Mel might be willing to judge that meeting?.
Feel free to check out the venue. Contact details on my website. Parking, toilet in barn, quad bike (you might need it!), secure fencing, no roads.

Cheers, Angela

When Pennymeadow & Myself sat talking about organising such an event it was meant to be an afternoon out for a bit of fun (with a competitive edge) at the end of the day the dog that wins would only be the best dog on the day, on another day, course layout you might get a differant winner.

So come on lets stop bitching and moaning and lets see how many are realy up for an afternoon out a bit of banter a few drinks and may the best dog/bitch win.

Spot on & well said

We would love to compete with our two Mark a 20 3/4 slow bred and our Fynny Fart racer.

Good luck :luck:

Angela Bayley said:
Can't speak for Mel but he seems to enjoy slipping for Wickwar.

He is very good, but Mel does get paid well for slipping for the day ....... So come on then Mark whens the first 1 ?? .....and whats the format ?? :D

Angela Bayley said:
Can't speak for Mel but he seems to enjoy slipping for Wickwar.
Here he is in action (w00t)

5.jpg

29.jpg

but Mel does get paid well for slipping for the day
He used to slip for us when the Vale Royal was up and running, he's spot on with the dogs.

Still trying to sort venues out around the country,

So far venues offord are ~ 1 near Oxford, south cotts, Lancs, Shropshire, South Wales.

we need a venue up near Scotland and down on the south/south east area if anyone wants to offer 1 that way their not all in the same area.

looking for 8 in total.

Mark Roberts said:
Sorry Jack,
KC reg only for this 1, BUT if enough are interested maybe we could run a lurcher stake as well the same day? (16 dog stake?).

come on mark run the under 21 inch lurchers with u whippets what harm will it do more the merrier i want a peace of this action as well

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back