The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weather talk...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The friend is home now - once he got to Bournemouth the roads were gritted (the gritters in Poole got stuck in the gridlock). Still waiting on that wee though...

The friend is home now - once he got to Bournemouth the roads were gritted (the gritters in Poole got stuck in the gridlock). Still waiting on that wee though...
Great news! no so good with the wee though... Jasper come on wee time ...?

I think we're in the red zone too. The snows only about 4" deep but the wind is getting up. I'm about to disturb a warm sleepy pup and take him outside into the blizzard for a late night wee. Somehow I think this'll be added to his mental list of mean things I do to him!

Stay safe everyone

Phew, Jasper eventually faced the inevitable and did what a dog has to do:) He wasn't happy going out this morning because we had some rain overnight and the snow now has a 'crunchy topping' which resisted and eventually gave each time he put a paw down.

Did Dennis go out in the end, Josie?

He has finally gone @JudyN !

But it took me saying ‘go poo poo’s’ about 20 times before he did!! I could hear my neighbor laughing her head off (she has a black lab to so was out with him)

Off to brave a walk soon!

It's very very windy here and still trying to snow. Just wondering whether I should get up off the sofa and take Harri for a walk - I know I should but it isn't looking nice out there.

We had a bit of Bambi on Ice this morning too, but mostly baby giraffe - we had some sleet/rain overnight and the snow (about 4" deep) has a crusty topping which would hold Jasper's weight for a moment on each step and then break through. He would have gone further, but he was giving every dog we met a hard stare for some reason so I couldn't let him off lead, and I don't think walking so awkwardly would be good for his joints.

it has melted a little but the roads are really thick! the wind is so bad my next door neighbours house has got leeks in her cellings :( Its so windy! :eek:

The weather drew out a giant spider from its lair in the local park... I think it was dead:eek:

26706748038_d2e8fda3db_c.jpg

Boston-metro has had an... interesting winter. :rolleyes: . :eek:

Not much snow, but weirdly warm [70'F in February!?!? ], & one bizarre sequence of snow followed by RAIN followed by a massive thaw, all within 3 days' time, which caused flooding in areas that never flooded B4... I felt very badly for the folks who trustingly parked their cars in a high-school lot, where they'd been told to park to free the streets for snow-plowing, & unlike all the many, many times B4, that high-school parking lot became a deep pond of briny water, up to the windows of the parked cars, & then it all FROZE.
The cars were totaled; over 70 vehicles, all ruined. :( Thank God, i don't own a vehicle & use public transit! I don't have to wonder where i'll park, where to move it, how much it will co$t me, alternate side cleaning or plowing... whew.
I may be homeless, but i'm FT-employed & don't need to worry my car will be stolen, flooded, broken into, towed... There are advantages. :p

Today felt more like April than March 2nd - soggy rain all day, but wild crazy winds! - I was bodily shoved along the sidewalk, walking to T J Maxx to replace my rollaway [one wheel had cracked out of the case on 3 sides, & i can't get along w/o my rolling case, not doing in-home PCA shifts] - the wind even shoved my 4-wheeled case along, nearly pulling it from my hands.
Branches were down everywhere, & i heard that 2 dozen power-poles went down along one of Watertown's main arteries - thank Heaven, i missed that traffic nightmare entirely.

- terry

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 6.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 6.16.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 6.23.44 PM.png

Boston-metro has had an... interesting winter. :rolleyes: . :eek:

Not much snow, but weirdly warm [70'F in February!?!? ], & one bizarre sequence of snow followed by RAIN followed by a massive thaw, all within 3 days' time, which caused flooding in areas that never flooded B4... I felt very badly for the folks who trustingly parked their cars in a high-school lot, where they'd been told to park to free the streets for snow-plowing, & unlike all the many, many times B4, that high-school parking lot became a deep pond of briny water, up to the windows of the parked cars, & then it all FROZE.
The cars were totaled; over 70 vehicles, all ruined. :( Thank God, i don't own a vehicle & use public transit! I don't have to wonder where i'll park, where to move it, how much it will co$t me, alternate side cleaning or plowing... whew.
I may be homeless, but i'm FT-employed & don't need to worry my car will be stolen, flooded, broken into, towed... There are advantages. :p

Today felt more like April than March 2nd - soggy rain all day, but wild crazy winds! - I was bodily shoved along the sidewalk, walking to T J Maxx to replace my rollaway [one wheel had cracked out of the case on 3 sides, & i can't get along w/o my rolling case, not doing in-home PCA shifts] - the wind even shoved my 4-wheeled case along, nearly pulling it from my hands.
Branches were down everywhere, & i heard that 2 dozen power-poles went down along one of Watertown's main arteries - thank Heaven, i missed that traffic nightmare entirely.

- terry

View attachment 111974724 View attachment 111974725 View attachment 111974726

that's bad! :(

I ventured out into the lanes this morning with Harri - some of them are choked with snow up to the top of the hedges whilst a few feet away you can see bare earth. It was OK for Harri, he's light enough not to sink....

The snow is going fast here now.

on Friday night at 10 local time, 330K people in Massachusetts were without power.
We were very lucky - from about 3 to 4:10-pm Friday, power went off in our neighborhood, but the emergency generator in the backyard kicked on very shortly after it went out. [My client is quadraplegic, & the electric hospital bed, charger for the power chair, the blender to mince meals, etc, are all ongoing needs.]
Other than resetting 4 clocks, & the cable-box reloading its programming, the power failure was a mere blip, for us.

By midday-Saturday, 490K people had no power, across Massachusetts. :(
For many, that means evacuation - without electricity, basements flood, there's no heat, no spark to light the gas-stove or run the electric stove, there may not be running water to drink, etc; houses become dark, cold, & simply unsafe in this winter weather.

I hope they get power restored soon - not only households, but businesses & schools are also affected.
For working parents, if school is suddenly closed, it's a major crisis; "time off" for many in this crazy U-S economy isn't even a possibility. If they don't show up as expected at work, they can be fired, so finding someone to mind the children is an urgent priority.

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back