The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What breed is he?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
There's a lot of similarity, isn't there? I've been seeing if I could find one with similar markings, particularly on the feet, which seem quite distinctive. Have a look at this video:
You can get a close-up of the paws at around 1m 43s.

ETA: actually the preview pic of the video the forum generates shows his feet well too!

Yes there are a lot of similarities !!!
Also, I have a question! When I picked him up on Saturday the lady handed me the food he was eating - asda’s Own ADULT dog food... what sort of affects will not having puppy food for the first part of his life have? I have put him on AVA puppy kibble

[Could he] possibly be an Australian Kelpie?!

Where do U live?

If home is Oz or NZ, then Kelpie is defo possible - in the U-S, they're very rare.
I don't know how rare or common they might be in the E-U, nor the UK.

Secondarily, his frame is far too-stocky for any Kelpie i ever saw, in the flesh, on film, or in photos. // He's a chunk, for a 5-MO. I'm not talking fat vs fit - I'm talking skeletal lumber.

- terry

Where do U live?

If home is Oz or NZ, then Kelpie is defo possible - in the U-S, they're very rare.
I don't know how rare or common they might be in the E-U, nor the UK.

Secondarily, his frame is far too-stocky for any Kelpie i ever saw, in the flesh, on film, or in photos. // He's a chunk, for a 5-MO. I'm not talking fat vs fit - I'm talking skeletal lumber.

- terry

Hi terry! I live in the UK. To be honest I haven’t actually seen a kelpie here! Somebody saw him earlier and said that he could be a kelpie. I didn’t realise they were so rare! Possibly not then.
I am so frustrated I just want to know the story behind him!!!!
What are your thoughts on his breed?
Thanks for replying :)

❤️

Attachments

• B829D49B-6D66-49AE-BBE3-7FDDFED8C1EB.jpeg
    B829D49B-6D66-49AE-BBE3-7FDDFED8C1EB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 255
I'm so frustrated - I just want to know the story behind him!!!!
What are your thoughts on his breed?

I already voted, LOL -
i'm with the vet, a probable Rott x GSD, with the Shepherd ancestry parental, while the Rott might be grandparent - & there could be a 3rd breed or a cross-breed, also having prick-ears.
:)

- terry

I already voted, LOL -
i'm with the vet, a probable Rott x GSD, with the Shepherd ancestry parental, while the Rott might be grandparent - & there could be a 3rd breed or a cross-breed, also having prick-ears.

- terry

Oh yes so you did! Sorry haha! Do you know the answer to my previous question about the adult dog food? Thank you :)

...Do you know the answer to my previous question [re] adult dog food? Thank you :)

he's 5-MO - he's aged-out of puppy formula, & it's unlikely to have done him any harm.
Pups can eat a good adult-dog formula as soon as they're old-enuf to leave dam & sibs, at 8-WO / 56-DO, without any problem; lousy quality food of either pup or adult formula is more of a problem, than having a pup who's 2-MO or more eating adult-dog formulas. :shrug:

Overfeeding pups with too much fat, too many calories, & too much protein, can be just as bad for them as underfeeding or poor nutritional balances. // I'd rather have a pup grow a bit slower, with less load on their growing joints, vs fertilizing them like hothouse plants & having them grow pudgy or even fat at a very-young age.

Pups who are fed fewer calories - not "starved", of course not! - but not allowed to become pudgy & overmuscled at a young age, will still grow to their adult ht & breadth of chest. They just won't shoot up & out like they're being inflated, which is what kills young broiler chickens these days - the poor creatures are bred to grow so incredibly fast, & fed so heavily to produce this bizarre abnormal growth, that they are HUGE at 6 to 8-WO, the size of adults, & ready to be slaughtered.
But sadly, some will simply die - their major organs cannot 'service' such a fast-growing demand from a body that literally swells daily; their hearts, livers, or kidneys fail, & they simply die - no symptoms, they fall down dead.

I will feed 8-WO toy-pups small meals up to 4X a day, depending upon their size, as the tiniest are prone to fainting or they'll sleep constantly when underfed - they run out of gas, very fast. Their metabolisms are much faster than larger pups & dogs, their "choke" is set higher on the body-engine.

I'd say yer pup will be just fine on adult-dog formula, & i wouldn't go nutz on protein - 24% protein is crazy, for a pet dog.
- terry

The difference between adult and puppy foods is in the levels of calcium and phosphorous, but usually it isn't anything to worry about (although I have seen a photo of a giant breed overfed calcium as a pup whose legs had deformed as the bones grew faster than the muscle and ligament :().

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money.

In the U-S, puppy-food has more calories per ounce, & a higher percentage of fat - plus the differences in mineral content.
I would presume it's the same in E.U. & UK?

The concentration of nutrients in puppy-foods is higher - that's exactly why it's fed to pregnant bitches, to let the poor dears eat something that won't require consuming tons of the stuff to feed herself, AND to build her litter, simultaneously.
Puppy-formula diets are also fed to lactating Fs right thru whelping & the 1st 5-weeks, as 4 to 5, or maybe even 6-wks age, is when the litter really draws her down - they're big now, but their primary nourishment is still her milk, & they consume a lot more at a feed than they did as neonates.
Once the pups transition to solid food, the demand on her drops markedly, & she can be tapered back onto an adult diet, over a week or so.

In the U-S, large-breed puppy formulas are less nutrient-rich, so that pups don't grow too quickly & overload those critical joints at hips, knees, & elbows, while toy-breed puppy foods are even-more concentrated than generic puppy formulas.

- terry

Puppies/cubs 'in the wild' would eat pretty much the same diet as the adults so I'm not convinced of the importance of feeding 'puppy food' and suspect marketing has a large part to play in it. What I've read about protein levels is contradictory too, as it seems that it is the 'quality' of the protein that is important rather than the percentage.

for myself, the biggest advantage is the good quality concentrates for the nursing F, rather than the "need" of pups to eat a higher-calorie diet at each meal. I see too many Fs who are bony-looking with teats hanging halfway to their hocks, trying to feed a litter of 6 to 10 pups, & not getting sufficient calories to feed themselves - it all goes to their milk. // A good adult dog-food with some milk-replacer to soften it is, IME, just fine for over 90% of pups to start on.

I do, however, think toy breeds need concentrated nutrition - Chi-sized pups have such small stomachs & such raging metabolisms, they need much in small packages - IMO, of course.

I went here
Find out your puppy's adult weight

... & arbitrarily declared Xmas as his DoB, as U said he's approx 5-MO - that resulted in 20.1-kg, for adult wt.

- terry

Oh really?! That’s not much at all! I thought he’d be bigger than that as he’s bigger than next doors retriever pup who’s a month older!!! Bless
Him

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back