The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets - girl or boy?

Benj

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi folks!

I'm looking at getting a whippet pup from a KC breeder and I've always wanted a female but now I'm having a wobble! I'm wondering if a male dog might be more inclined to play fetch with a ball. I've had a dog before and the ball was such a great way to get exercise on those occasions where there aren't any other dogs around to play with. So I'm looking to hear from anyone with a view on this! Do you have a male or female whippet who loves to chase a ball... And has learned to bring it back?

Ultimately I'm looking for a calm, sweet natured and gentle pet... But I know these are animals that love to run, so some fetch play would be really useful too. Thanks!

While not the question you asked, please understand this in the spirit it is offered: chasing ball exercise, while loved by many (not all) dogs, is terribly risky in terms of potential damage to joints and ligaments. This applies to any dog, but whippets being that much faster, they will stress their bodies more when they twist and leap. So it's great that you interact so well with your dogs, but you might consider a safer form of exercise.

Whippets are wonderful, and it won't matter whether you get a male or female.

Although we’ve always had whippets (rescued) they’ve never been that enamoured with ‘fetch’. On the first rare occasion that they brought the ball back for me to throw it again they’ve just given me the look that says “Don’t you want it then?” or “You threw it, you get it”. Now, if you threw a squirrel.........! As Hemlock says all whippets are wonderful as are all sighthounds. Best of luck.

While not the question you asked, please understand this in the spirit it is offered: chasing ball exercise, while loved by many (not all) dogs, is terribly risky in terms of potential damage to joints and ligaments. This applies to any dog, but whippets being that much faster, they will stress their bodies more when they twist and leap. So it's great that you interact so well with your dogs, but you might consider a safer form of exercise.

Whippets are wonderful, and it won't matter whether you get a male or female.
Thanks Hemlock that's a really useful perspective. I read somewhere that male whippets were 'more likely to be interested in repetitive ball games' or words to that effect. Sounds like that was potentially unhelpful information! I've also seen the opinion that males are more independent and somewhere else that males are more affectionate... Don't see how both can be true! It's hard to make sense of all the information that's out there.

All whippets - all sighthounds - are independent compared to most other breed types. It's all relative - we just enjoy their affection when they choose to demonstrate it.

Reactions: RGC
Hi folks!

I'm looking at getting a whippet pup from a KC breeder and I've always wanted a female but now I'm having a wobble! I'm wondering if a male dog might be more inclined to play fetch with a ball. I've had a dog before and the ball was such a great way to get exercise on those occasions where there aren't any other dogs around to play with. So I'm looking to hear from anyone with a view on this! Do you have a male or female whippet who loves to chase a ball... And has learned to bring it back?

Ultimately I'm looking for a calm, sweet natured and gentle pet... But I know these are animals that love to run, so some fetch play would be really useful too. Thanks!

So whippets are mostly used by hunters cause they love to run, so I guess you could play catch with them. They meet most of your needs and will definitely get you moving more, cause they are generally playful.

Any gender should do.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back