The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippets With Unlikely Names

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can't really talk when it comes to unlikely names though as we have gone along the portuguese route (my husband is from the island of Madeira) - we have Pedro and Zair and already have a name picked for the next puppy (whenever we get one)! - Nuno!!

kirislin said:
I had a whippet called Iris,  Iris the virus I used to call her.
Linda

Linda, my OH took Ella to Formby beach on Sun. met a young girl (vet) who has a 6 mth whippet, fawn/white parti called Iris, she hand reared her from 3 weeks, she'd been brought in to be pts as she had breathing difficulties, but at 6 mth she's almost the size of ours :D

I have an Aunt whose dog is called Here Here,also know a neighbour with a black Lab called spots (coz it aint got any!!) :lol: And a friend whose cat is called NT (short for C*** coz he is a little......) (w00t) (w00t)

I know a cocker spaniel called Kevin :lol:

and a Staffie called Hector :lol:

Many, many years ago I knew a lady with a labrador called Heyu!!!

05whippet said:
And a friend whose cat is called NT (short for C*** coz he is a little......)  (w00t)   (w00t)
Ah yes!! I affectionately refer to Jack Cat as 'Cooking Fat' quite a lot of the time!!

jue332 said:
I know a cocker spaniel called Kevin  :lol:
and a Staffie called Hector  :lol:

Our whippet puppy is a Hector :D We also have a Walter and a Solitaire :D :D

:oops: nearly forgot our little Brenna :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
phill said:
Yes,I agree (w00t)   When my wife brings home her guide dogs she is training they have some really odd names that don't really fit into labs :b
Is your wife a GDT then Phill?

I have a greyhound called Claire. She came with the name but I kept it because she knew it and suits her. :)

Once heard of a MALE greyhound in rescue call DELILAH!! :lol: :lol:

dessie said:
phill said:
We are very hopeful of a "Eric" the whippet soon,If all goes well with the litter :luck:   :luck:   :D
I know a Whippet called Eric and one called Dave. And there is a bitser who lives round the corner to me called Gary!!!

Well Eric is a great name for a Whippet :D (not that I'm biased lol) .......

I used to have a Greyhound called David, he came with this name and knew it so it stayed :) ....... but I think the best names I've heard was Kevin and Tracy 2 fat black labs .....Hmm classic (or not as the case may be lol :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Working as a groomer for many years I've heard many odd names......

Janet the Westie

Tchykovski the Borzoi (which wasn't shortened to anything!)

Shaggy Boots the Beardie

Ron the springer

Ernie the Yorkie

Pinkypoos the cat

BooBoo the Lakeland

My friend's have a champion W/H Dach and he is called Dave.

I've always liked the name Steve for a cat and Alan for a hamster!

I like good old fashioned names for my whipps. Reg was so named as his grandad was called Ronnie (Reg and Ron, the Kray twins). Archie and Stanley. Murray was named in honour of Murray Walker. I like Wilf too, I think that will be next. If I have girlie whipps I like Myrtle, Flossy and Lily.

Louise

There's a dodgy guy in my area who has a mongrel called "bulls**t". The dog he had before was called "Loadabull".

As a child my friends father had a dog called "Guess", spent many an hour going

"Guess whats my dads dog is called"

"Um Fido"

"No, Guess"

"Um Rover"

"No, Guess" ETC ETC with poeople she met.

Theres a Policeman in our village with a little westie .....called Mary.

My OH and I like to visualize him shouting for her. :lol: :lol:

husbands aunt had a cross breed called Boot.

friends have a staffie called Mitzi (w00t)

we nearly called our whippet Wicket but decided on Badger instead,lucky boy.

my whip cross is called Bryn which is what he was called by his previous owner,while he is registered as Bryn at the vets and for his chip we actually have always called him Pod....daddy of the borrowers if anyone remembers the series.

Julie D said:
kirislin said:
Linda

Linda, my OH took Ella to Formby beach on Sun. met a young girl (vet) who has a 6 mth whippet, fawn/white parti called Iris, she hand reared her from 3 weeks, she'd been brought in to be pts as she had breathing difficulties, but at 6 mth she's almost the size of ours :D

Awww :wub: my Iris was fawn & white too. My cybername is from her & the other whippet I had at the time Kiri.

One of the girls I have now Penny, used to answer to "Chickie necks". I used to give them to her alot as a pup & she always came running when I asked her if she wanted a chickie neck. One day at obedience we practiced our first recall. It went badly, Penny decided she had to show everyone how fast she could run. She went pelting through all the other classes, round & round, zoooooooom zooooooommm . I couldn't get her back & I'd mentioned to the instructor she would come to chickie necks, initially she didn't want me to call it, she thought Penny should come to her name, I agree! but when all else failed & Penny showed no signs of tiring she said I'd better bring on the secret weapon. So there I was yelling CHICKIE NECKS!!! at the top of my voice & sure enough she came running. A couple of weeks later I was stopped by a stranger while walking Penny in town, who asked if this was the dog who answered to chickie necks. Pennys fame had spread :b

Linda

We had a tiny fawn non-ped who was born without a tail his name was RAMBO

kirislin said:
Julie D said:
kirislin said:
Linda

Awww :wub: my Iris was fawn & white too. My cybername is from her & the other whippet I had at the time Kiri.

One of the girls I have now Penny, used to answer to "Chickie necks". I used to give them to her alot as a pup & she always came running when I asked her if she wanted a chickie neck. One day at obedience we practiced our first recall. It went badly, Penny decided she had to show everyone how fast she could run. She went pelting through all the other classes, round & round, zoooooooom zooooooommm . I couldn't get her back & I'd mentioned to the instructor she would come to chickie necks, initially she didn't want me to call it, she thought Penny should come to her name, I agree! but when all else failed & Penny showed no signs of tiring she said I'd better bring on the secret weapon. So there I was yelling CHICKIE NECKS!!! at the top of my voice & sure enough she came running. A couple of weeks later I was stopped by a stranger while walking Penny in town, who asked if this was the dog who answered to chickie necks. Pennys fame had spread :b

Linda

Linda,

I really have been Laughing Out Loud at that story (w00t) Other half kept asking me "what, what" and I couldn't stop to actually tell the story (w00t)

:lol: Of course I have an iggy called ZOOM because he's quite fast :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back