The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

~whiskers~

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
>Well then it is not unnatural to trim whiskers, if someone wants to trim their whippets whiskers for that added presentation then they should be able to.

Of course it's unnatural to trim a dogs whiskers off. Trimming any bits off a dog is unnatural.

Well then it is not unnatural to trim whiskers, if someone wants to trim their whippets whiskers for that added presentation then they should be able to.
What i can't understand is that if judges overlook it anyway why would anyone want to trim them off?

Of course it's unnatural to trim a dogs whiskers off. Trimming any bits off a dog is unnatural.

Do you have that opinion also on desexing???

can we have chill out time please  .....its a bit early in the day to start insulting other forum members.I dont think using the f-word is acceptable behaviour on a forum.

I dont think discussing the anorexia issue is approapriate on a whippet forum (maybe stick to chit chat zone)

I can accept you have problems but i dont there is any need to take it out on other members
Well said Michelle, theres a time and a place for everything and this forum in my opinion is neither the time or the place.

And to be polite cost nothing

<What i can't understand is that if judges overlook it anyway why would anyone want to trim them off? Vicky

It gives the muzzle a more cleaner leaner expression.

does anyone have a piccie of a whisker-less whipster?......it just seems a bit strange

>Do you have that opinion also on desexing???

Well as I said that trimming bits off any dog is unnatural what do you think?

Alerting any dog in any way is unnatural. It's logic!

Where did Alerting come from. :b

Of course I mean Altering.

Last edited by a moderator:
on the rocks said:
It gives the muzzle a more cleaner leaner expression.
Sorry,I think thats a load of rubbish!To me it adds to their whole expression!

><What i can't understand is that if judges overlook it anyway why would anyone want to trim them off? Vicky

>It gives the muzzle a more cleaner leaner expression.

Hmm. They don't have full beards and moustache's like some other breeds eg poodles or powderpuffs. Now trimming their muzzles gives a cleaner leaner look. But a few whippet whiskers......................

It's a fad that some owners are just following. But of course if you are a highly competative show person and you live in a country where other show people have adopted this fashion then I suppose you have to follow the rest of the herd. And once you've got used to the sight of whippets with no whiskers and that's what you see all the time then a whippet with whiskers will look odd.

The day i'd have to chop off whiskers for the show ring would be the day I stopped showing>

<Well as I said that trimming bits off any dog is unnatural what do you think? BeeJay

So you have no feelings for those homeless, disease riddeen, parasite infested, abused animals out there because they are left entire and left to breed left right and centre!! :rant:

I have already posted this comment...........

It is unnatural to vaccinate, feed, keep confined in your backyard- but I bet you do it?

If you want a natural dog don't vaccinate etc... let your dog be natural

ON THE ROCKS.....YOU ARE WELL OUT OF LINE ......Beejay DOE'S CARE about these homeless dogs, i suggest that you read ALL of the forums on this site.......PROPERLY :rant:

<It's a fad that some owners are just following. But of course if you are a highly competative show person and you live in a country where other show people have adopted this fashion then I suppose you have to follow the rest of the herd. And once you've got used to the sight of whippets with no whiskers and that's what you see all the time then a whippet with whiskers will look odd. >BeeJay

As I have stated in the first post of this topic....I live in the south island of new zealand and I know of one other person in the south that trims... were as the north Island most breeders, owners dotrim their whippets whiskers. I have not at this stage shown any of MY dogs in the North.

So am I following a fad I don't think so... I trim because IMO looks alot nicer

This topic really is getting out of hand.

Bizzybabe if you 'ana-obsessed' then please do not go on about it continually, I feel sorry for you because as I understand it it is a disease but I for one do not come on here to read about someone going on and on about their obsession with eating orders, personally I think you should keep on topic or not bother.

I think your opinions on whippets are of course as welcome as anyones but I am really getting put off thid board by this sort of behaviour.

I think what it really comes down is that there is absolutely no benefit in trimming off the whiskers, the only arguable benefit would be that the owners like the appearance of the muzzle better. But as I understand it there is no mention whiskers in any breed standard and therefore trimming them is entirely for the owners benefit. I will lightly trim under my dogs tail but this is to get my dog to fit closer to breed standard.

I do think the point about the whippet is that it is a hunting hound, all whippets in my book should be dual purpose and although I am not sure whether a lack of whiskers would effect its hunting ability. The whippet is a breed that should not be messed around with too much in my opinion and trimming whiskers in my book seems excessive. But if you really feel the need then do it. I think this topic shows a distinct divide between showing whippets in different countries.

ALL of my dogs lead a normal life where they rely on their whiskers ;) ........but then saying that us racers should really cut the dogs whiskers off as they would be more stream lined = faster :thumbsup: (w00t)

Well I think that we should shave 'em. Then apply oil to their skins. For extra streamlinedness. :b

I'd love to see Alan trying to trap an oiled Whizz. :lol:

Gosh I have missed alot while I was at work havn`t I :eek:

Bizzybabe , , Buzybabe was acutually a typing error ( I is next to U !!!) :oops: now don`t you feel silly :oops:

I dont let children in this country say the F word in my company and I don`t think I should have to take that sort of language from any one , any age .,any where !!!! :eek:

RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE please .

How`s the saying go ?

[SIZE=14pt] If you can`t stand the heat keep out of the kitchen,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

I think without exception all the Whippets owned by peps on this forum are first and foremost PETS. So in effect we are [SIZE=14pt]PET PEOPLE[/SIZE] as opposed to [SIZE=14pt] SHOW PEOPLE[/SIZE]

Many thanks to other K9 ners for there support at the barrage I recieved . ;) Good job I`ve a thick skin :thumbsup: ;)

>As I have stated in the first post of this topic....I live in the south island of new zealand and I know of one other person in the south that trims... were as the north Island most breeders, owners dotrim their whippets whiskers. I have not at this stage shown any of MY dogs in the North.

So am I following a fad I don't think so... I trim because IMO looks alot nicer

What made you decide that whippets look a lot nicer without their whiskers?

I A few members should think before they post as I think some comments are getting way out of hand.?

BJ for a woman accused of not caring you do a bloody lot of hard work for missing/lost dogs, keep up the good work ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back