The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Will Eating A Slug Do Any Harm

kirsty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I let Megan out in the garden last night for a wee just before I went to bed. As I was calling her in I noticed she was eating something she had picked up on the path. I woke up at 2.50am this morning to find diarhorea on my bedroom carpet. Not sure if it was her or one of the cats. think it was her as when I took her out at 6.50 am she done two little spots of diarhorea, which sort of points to it being her. Anyway all I can think of her eating was either a slug or a snail as my path and garden is covered in them when it is wet weather as it was last night. however she has never to my knowledge ate one before :( Does anyone know if this would cause a stomach upset? She hasn't been sick though. Hopefully there was no poison on whatever she ate as both neighbours either side of me put slug pellets down and sometimes they spread into my garden :rant: I already spoke to the neighbour on the left of me about this as they have a JRT, however that was back at the end of June and I told them that their pellets had fell through to my garden, she apologised and I said apart from anything else she could poison her dog never mind mine. However I would like to find out if eating a slug/snail that wasn't poisoned would harm her :- "

I don't know how a slug having ingested poison would effect them, sorry.

I do know that eating slugs or snails can pass on worms to your dog, so would be worth keeping up to date with wormers.

Hope someone here can be of more help.

:luck:

Izzy seems to think slugs are a delicacy, the slimier the better!! :blink: :blink:

I try to stop her, but they never appear to have done her harm.... they aren't pelleted however :thumbsup:

:x dont know about slugs , but mine eat snails, crunch crunch yuk!!! cant seem to stop them either :eek: dont think they do any harm, unless they have been poisoned, then i would have thought it could pass into the dogs system, might be worth checking with your neighbours, if you have any.

Lol, aren't dogs charming sometimes :lol: :x

Slugs and snails aren't toxic themselves, but dogs have died from eating poisoned slugs or snails so it's something to be careful about if you have neighbours who might use slug pellets.

Snails can also carry heartworm, which can be pretty nasty. Probably not very likely here as it isn't common (though I think it is in Ireland), but as Evie says it's worth making sure wormers are kept up to date. :thumbsup:

Folloiwng on from the previous posts about worms and heartworm :eek: my rescue dog Monty was recently treated for possible lungworm, and the vet mentioned the eating of slugs and snails :x

He was treated with Panacur for 5 days, if that info helps. I guess regular worming with the right sort of wormer is the key :thumbsup: especially if you know your dog has a taste for moluscy delicacies :lol:

Yeugh!! :lol:

they're always best with salt on !

and I don't care if it's cruel, they're disgusting :- "

Had to take poor Megan to the vet last night :( She had been sick four times yesterday morning with streaks of blood through it and was becoming increasingly lethargic and very dull within herself so I called the vet and explained about the slug/snail situation and the diarorhea and that I starved her as she had the upset tummy but now she had been sick with the blood through it, also it was now running into 48hrs since she had eaten and they said to bring her in lucky I did as her temperature was ok but she had become very dehydrated and if I had have left it any longer she would have needed to go on a drip :( So he gave her an injection and gave me some chalky like medicine to line her tummy as it was very acidic he said and gave me a Royal Canin rehydration solution. Well trying to syringe the rehydration liquid into her is a nightmare! She clamps her jaws shut and I have to prize them open :- " However she has eaten a little coley fish mixed through some potato last night and this morning and has kept it down. The vet said slugs and snails can be harmful to dogs even if they are not laced with poison, just depends on the dog apparently! So I will have to keep an eye on her if it is wet from now on if she is in the garden as my garden seems to be a magnet for the horrible slugs and snails there are hundreds of the horrible things. He said to take her back Tuesday but if she is back to normal by Tuesday morning just to cancel the appointment. Thanks for all your feedback.

hi, hope megan gets well soon, thanks for letting us know, i will have to keep an eye on mine from now on, although it does not seem to affect them, :huggles: to megan. :)

Hope she feels better real soon. :luck:

Poor Megan :( hope she gets well soon :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Julie D said:

have to agree with Julie....Im dead cruel to them..I dont mind snails....but slugs yuk yuk :x Ive had one in my bathroom lately - cant find the little blighter no how....leaves his little slimey tracks every morning.... :angry:

and one in the bloody kitchen too.... Im coming to get you....Ive left salt all over.. :lol:

any one got any better tips please....other than whippets.. :lol:

Janimal said:
Julie D said:

have to agree with Julie....Im dead cruel to them..I dont mind snails....but slugs yuk yuk :x Ive had one in my bathroom lately - cant find the little blighter no how....leaves his little slimey tracks every morning.... :angry:

and one in the bloody kitchen too.... Im coming to get you....Ive left salt all over.. :lol:

any one got any better tips please....other than whippets.. :lol:

i know how if feels janis,the slimeys are getting into my porch and conservatory latley,weve never had a problem before :x .

when i get up at 2am to let the dogs out the porch floors covered with them :x must put the pressure on graham to rebulid it and double glaze the door,that will stop them ,well im hoping so :wacko:

Megan sends thanks to her get well wishes :wub: She is a lot brighter today. Hopefully I won't need Tuesday's appointment now :)

I must say I have tried the salt thing myself but then just found they sort of just

melted all over my path :x

There is a product called NEMASLUG and you can buy it from a website www.greengardner.co.uk it covers 30-40sq yards per pack £9.99 then I think the more packs you buy they do a deal. I tried it last year and it did keep them down. It is a 100% safe to all animals It works by nematodes eating the slugs . You mix it with water then soak all around your flower beds and borders. I think I will go order some now. It is pouring with rain here in Edinburgh therefore there will be tons of the horrible things tonight again. I shall need to watch Megan does do a repeat of the other night :- "

I go around with a torch most nights and I have a pair of tweezers and a an old chinese take-way plastic bowl. I picks em all up (they are HUGE up our way - the longest I measured was an orange beauty of just over 6"). When I used to live in a London suburb, I dropped them into a bucket of boiling salt water and then tipped them down the drain the next morning. :x

Now I live in the country, I am kinder and go out the back gate into the woods and throw them all as far away as i can. :thumbsup:

It is amazing how much smaller the number I find is now. I know which plants they go for and so i can usually find them.

If they are on a path I stomp on them (I have special slug-stompers I wear) and the next night all the new slugs collect around the bodies. They also collect around the dog poos!! I also stomp on any 'strays' if I haven't got my trusty tweezers :- "

Yes, I'm totally nuts!!!! (w00t)

pollyanna said:
I go around with a torch most nights and I have a pair of tweezers and a an old chinese take-way plastic bowl. I picks em all up (they are HUGE up our way  - the longest I measured was an orange beauty of just over 6").  When I used to live in a London suburb, I dropped them into a bucket of boiling salt water and then tipped them down the drain the next morning. :x   Now I live in the country, I am kinder and go out the back gate into the woods and throw them all as far away as i can.  :thumbsup:

It is amazing how much smaller the number I find is now.  I know which plants they go for and so i can usually find them.

If they are on a path I stomp on them (I have special slug-stompers I wear) and the next night all the new slugs collect around the bodies.  They also collect around the dog poos!!  I also stomp on any 'strays' if I haven't got my trusty tweezers  :- "

Janet I laughed my socks off reading this :lol: :lol: the visions of you in your jim jams ...slug hunting... :lol: :oops:

trouble is the little blighters are always out when Im tucked up in bed... :lol: -_-

Kirsty I do hope Megan is feeling better today. :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
pollyanna said:
I go around with a torch most nights and I have a pair of tweezers and a an old chinese take-way plastic bowl. I picks em all up (they are HUGE up our way  - the longest I measured was an orange beauty of just over 6").  When I used to live in a London suburb, I dropped them into a bucket of boiling salt water and then tipped them down the drain the next morning. :x   Now I live in the country, I am kinder and go out the back gate into the woods and throw them all as far away as i can.  :thumbsup:

It is amazing how much smaller the number I find is now.  I know which plants they go for and so i can usually find them.

If they are on a path I stomp on them (I have special slug-stompers I wear) and the next night all the new slugs collect around the bodies.  They also collect around the dog poos!!  I also stomp on any 'strays' if I haven't got my trusty tweezers  :- "

:x :x :x :x can I hire you to come to ours, but PLEASE spare me the description :blink:

Hope Megan's ok now :huggles:

pollyanna said:

I know you wont believe me , but snails have a homing insticnt (w00t) and can travel up to 2 miles back home :oops: My friend put `snow pak` on some shells and took them nearly half a mile away and more than one came back :eek:

I chuck mine on the road , throwing them up high into the air so their shells crack , as for the slugs (w00t) , they go staright on the main road to get run over ;)

hope your whip makes a full recovery :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back