The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Working Strains?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
All whippets hunt, given half a chance..I think a more useful debate would be 'working strains of owners'. ...a much rarer thing than a working strain of whippet........All dogs have to have chance to learn and develop.

Many lurchers owe their hunting instincts to the whippet, probably more than to any other breed.

IS LYNNEPERRY THE NEW LAGUNA?????? and if so, what does that mean.

well its them and rats mate unless you suggest breaking the law :- "

i dont break the law im one of the lucky ones i live in n.ireland we are exclued from the law happy hunting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live hare coursing is alive and well in several US states. Some states don't have hares and in some states it's illegal to hunt most mamals with hounds.

There are a number of breeders who regularly test their dogs against the Jackrabbit which is really not a rabbit at all but a hare.

I moved to the US in 1979 with eleven English bred Whippets from the Malbon, Laguna and Nimrodel lines. These dogs crossed very well with American racing lines. Working Whippets are alive and well in the USA.

The WCRA have indicated that they will refuse inclusion to their programs to most successful working and racing lines so it's unlikely you will be seeing any of them in the UK in the near future.

I don't know if the WCRA have any input into lure coursing.

S.Jacks.jpg

John E Greenwood said:
All whippets hunt, given half a chance..I think a more useful debate would be 'working strains of owners'. ...a much rarer thing than a working strain of whippet........All dogs have to have chance to learn and develop.
  Many lurchers owe their hunting instincts to the whippet, probably more than to any other breed.

IS LYNNEPERRY THE NEW LAGUNA?????? and if so, what does that mean.

You`re bang on there John, it seems there are 2 strains of whippet owners, those who actually work their dogs and the those who sit on their a---s talking about it :D

Well said Nigel, your not having a pop are you John,at Lynperry ,I know that the Lynperry line has got a fair bit of Laguna blood there, so that must be a good thing for the line all through (Laguna lightspeed) good working dogs in good working hands ,means good dogs , good working lines in the wrong hands means a waste

Any Whippet in the rights hands would work ......I don't really work mine, though they kill cleanly often enough as I won't stop them doing what they were bred for :- " and they have 2 land owners who have said just let 'em go for it :) ......This thread stems from my original question about the SS line .....I did genuinely wonder whether it really is the working lines to beat all others, or was it just because so many are bred and go to working people ......Luckily before the thread was deleted I had enough info and emails to judge for myself :- " .....We all have different ideas of what type of Whippet is good for what job, I just think its a shame when lines are promoted to the hilt (and before anyone complains this happens on sites like this be them showing, racing, coursing or working bred) ......but when negatives are said against any of these lines the topics are closed .....So we end up with people looking for a "type" of Whippet and don't get the full picture :angry:

The WCRA have indicated that they will refuse inclusion to their programs to most successful working and racing lines so it's unlikely you will be seeing any of them in the UK in the near future.
I don't know if the WCRA have any input into lure coursing.

As Mark said the WCRA have no input into lure coursing .....Though at the mo we have no proper recognition of great lure coursing dogs unlike America .......The funny thing is that the KC are fine with lines the WCRA won't allow .....and the biggest lure coursing organisation is in talks with the KC to get them to recognise the lure coursers of merit .....and they are getting closer than the WCRA trying to get WCRCh recognised by the KC ..... Great photo Tony ....I'll start saving for my hols shall I ;)

Strike Whippets said:
Any Whippet in the rights hands would work ......
There`s working and there`s` working`, by a worker I mean a dog that can mark an occupied warren or drystone wall , be smart enough to predict from which hole of a warren a rabbit will bolt from , course catch and retrieve rabbits all day,even if it`s freezing cold and blowing a gale on some desolate moor - catch and retrieve rabbits in the lamp at night in all weathers. With training maybe most whippets would do some of the above, but what I`m getting at is that if you buy a dog from a line of workers it is more likely to possess the qualities you desire. You wouldn`t buy a racing dog from a show kennels if you wanted to compete at the highest level , if you want a true worker you breed worker to worker or buy from a proven working strain :thumbsup:

joe90 said:
(Make F1 and F2 crosses, then inbreed and cull aggressively). The reason many people favour KC reg dogs with a pedigree is that they like a guarantee that the puppy they buy has not been bred in this way  ;)

but really how do any of us know that kc registered dogs havent been bred in this way? people do fiddle kc paperwork what about people that keep registration forms when you buy a second hand dog why would they need that paper work? can you see my point?

couldnt find the post where it says people prefer to buy kc registered dogs cus they know dogs havent beed inbred some kc dogs are inbred ive been doing reasearch into my border teriers pedigree and it turns out that the dog i was reasearching was out of Ch brannigan of brumberhill and fine lady, fine lady was Ch brannigan of brumberhill's MOTHER so some kc dogs are inbred

JOEBOY said:
Well said Nigel, your not having a pop are you John,at Lynperry ,I know that the Lynperry line has got a fair bit of Laguna blood there, so that must be a good thing for the line all through (Laguna lightspeed) good working dogs in good working hands ,means good dogs , good working lines in the wrong hands means a waste

what would you class as wrong hands ???? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
couldnt find the post where it says people prefer to buy kc registered dogs cus they know dogs havent beed inbred some kc dogs are inbred ive been doing reasearch into my border teriers pedigree and it turns out that the dog i was reasearching was out of Ch brannigan of brumberhill and fine lady, fine lady was Ch brannigan of brumberhill's MOTHER so some kc dogs are inbred

Most pedigree breeds are inbred that's what's makes them a breed & produces breed type.

Further back you go the more line/inbreeding becomes apparent. For instance 90% of modern greyhounds go back to just 2 sire's "Rollo" & "King Cob".

Terry Smith

I'm surprised you've waited so long for an answer!! For once some of the "experts" on this forum seem stumped for guff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry Smith

Terry & Sheila Smith said:
I'm surprised you've waited so long for an answer!! For once some of the "experts" on this forum seem stumped for guff  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
Terry Smith

I am no expert but at a guess, I would say an 'anti' bloodsports would answer your question to some degree. :- "

Mini Me said:
I'm surprised you've waited so long for an answer!! For once some of the "experts" on this forum seem stumped for guff  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:
Terry Smith

I am no expert but at a guess, I would say an 'anti' bloodsports would answer your question to some degree. :- "

The wrong hands . now what could that possibly mean???

I'm surprised you've waited so long for an answer!! For once some of the "experts" on this forum seem stumped for guff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry Smith

wrong hands would be deffo those that kenny everet had :p

sparky said:

Terry Smith

wrong hands would be deffo those that kenny everet had :p

They were definitely the wrong hands , wouldn`t like to think what he used them for (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back