The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Worms

Chien

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am having a real battle with a 4 months old puppy I have bought. She was full of worms when I got her at 9 weeks, so wormed immediately - she passed loads of dead worms. As she has had 'runny poos' since arrival I wormed her again at 12 weeks and 16 weeks - no worms were seen on these 2 occassions, but the diarrhoea persisted! It got worse again this week so gave a little kaolin/morphine which cleared the runs up. However, today, at 18 weeks, she threw up a wriggling mass of roundworms! (w00t) I have wormed her again with piperazine tablets. Never having had this problem with puppies I have bred or bought before I am at a loss to know how to proceed to clear them up once and for all.Any help would be gratefully received :thumbsup:

Chien said:
I am having a real battle with a 4 months old puppy I have bought. She was full of worms when I got her at 9 weeks, so wormed immediately - she passed loads of dead worms.  As she has had 'runny poos' since arrival I wormed her again at 12 weeks and 16 weeks - no worms were seen on these 2 occassions, but the diarrhoea persisted! It got worse again this week so gave a little kaolin/morphine which cleared the runs up. However, today, at 18 weeks, she threw up a wriggling mass of roundworms! (w00t)   I have wormed her again with piperazine tablets. Never having had this problem with puppies I have bred or bought before I am at a loss to know how to proceed to clear them up once and for all.Any help would be gratefully received :thumbsup:
This dog needs a VET

I would take it to the vets to get the coret strong wormer and a good check up to make sure theres nothing else undrlying cousing runny poos

i would take your pup to the vets to get the best treatment and also get the little one checked over.

She has been to the vet twice - check up show nothing abnormal, just an overload of worms. The dicky tummy only happens when the worms have taken hold again. She's booked in at the vets on Friday, I just thought I would ask on here for any one else's experience of this problem.

You might need to worm her at 2 weekly intervals till they have broken their cycle. your Vet will advise you. What a shame she wasn't wormed as a small pup. Mine are done at two weekly intervals. Good luck with getting her sorted out. :luck:

When I got my dog pup he had worms. We used a wormer from the vets (not just one from the pet shop as they're not strong enough) which got rid of them, he was also spewing up dead worms and had the runs.

However, although they did go he seems to be more susceptible to picking them up again. Our bitch has never had worms but the dog has had them a few times, even though he is wormed every 3 months as recommended. He also seems to have a less robust digestive system than Molly. I read somewhere once (don't know how much truth there is in it though) that worms can sometimes damage the gut resulting in digestive problems. As I've said, don't know if this is just an old wives tale or not but Lenny does have more problems than Molly. Could just be him though, he has to have everything else wrong with him, typical man :lol:

He hasn't had worms in at least the last 6 months so fingers crossed thats the end of it. He is just coming up to 2 years. Perhaps your pup will 'grow out of it' so to speak.

I find that the only worming product on the market that really works is Drontal. Weigh your dog carefully and dose with the maximum amount. Drontal directions are 3-5kg= 1/2 tablet, 5.1-10kg=1 tablet. But if your dog is say 5kg I would give 3/4 of tablet. :luck: :luck: :luck:

As Seraphina says Drontal is a really good wormer. :thumbsup: I use this regularly on my dogs - every 3-4 months.

Ive also used Panacure liquid for puppies.

Seraphina said:
I find that the only worming product on the market that really works is Drontal.  Weigh your dog carefully and dose with the maximum amount.  Drontal directions are 3-5kg= 1/2 tablet, 5.1-10kg=1 tablet.  But if your dog is say 5kg I would give 3/4 of tablet.  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
Sorry disagree!! Panacur is just as good and effective as Drontal, so is Stronghold. Strangely, I only attended a seminar on Monday night about parasites and the effects/cures. A question similar to this came up and it would appear that some dog's immune systems just don't work adequately to fight the worm burden so therefore the afflicted dog tends to pass live worms more than normal dogs. You may never get the dog over this so will have to worm more regularly than most.

Modern wormers are very safe, you could worm monthly for instance with no ill effects but you must get a 'proper' wormer (i.e. not one bought from a pet shop) but from either your Vet or a Veterinary pharmacy (wormers are no longer POM).

Also it is a fallacy that worms become immune to the same wormer so if one brand agrees with your dog more than another, e.g. one of mine does not tolerate Drontal well so I use Panacur on her, you can use it all the time.

Some good info in this thread so I'm adding it to FAQ :thumbsup:

i had a pup like this years ago , riddled with worms when i got it at 9 weeks ,

several trips to the vets and i had to worm the pup every week untill no worms were passed then fortnightly for 6 weeks then once a month fo life .

this was with drontal and at the advice of the vet :thumbsup:

also bear in mind the hysteria caused by children "catching" worms from dogs... no one ever thinks the other way around... is my puppy catching worms from children? I have to say i have never caught owt nasty from a dog but plenty from other folks brats!

firesprite said:
also bear in mind the hysteria caused by children "catching" worms from dogs... no one ever thinks the other way around... is my puppy catching worms from children? I have to say i have never caught owt nasty from a dog but plenty from other folks brats!
(w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) Damm kids :rant: :lol:

Drontal should not be given along with piperazine compounds, check out with Vet before using anything else. But Drontal Puppy Suspension is my 1st choice everytime, then on to Drontal Plus.

Info taken from Drontal Packaging .......

Contra-indications:

Do not use simultaneously with piperazine compounds.

Do not exceed recommended dose when treating pregnant bitches.

Consult a veterinary surgeon before treating pregnant bitches

for roundworms. Tapeworm infestation is certain to re-occur

unless control of intermediate hosts such as fleas, mice etc

is undertaken. In the interests of good hygiene, persons

administering the tablets to directly to the dog, or by adding

them to the cat's food, should wash their hands afterwards.

For animal treatment only - KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Do not remove tablets from the strip packing until required

for use.

Any part-used tablets should be discarded.

Do not use after expiry date.

Hope puppy feels better soon :luck:

Claire said:
Drontal should not be given along with piperazine compounds, check out with Vet before using anything else. But Drontal Puppy Suspension is my 1st choice everytime, then on to Drontal Plus.
Info taken from Drontal Packaging .......

Contra-indications:

Do not use simultaneously with piperazine compounds.

Do not exceed recommended dose when treating pregnant bitches.

Consult a veterinary surgeon before treating pregnant bitches

for roundworms. Tapeworm infestation is certain to re-occur

unless control of intermediate hosts such as fleas, mice etc

is undertaken. In the interests of good hygiene, persons

administering the tablets to directly to the dog, or by adding

them to the cat's food, should wash their hands afterwards.

For animal treatment only - KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Do not remove tablets from the strip packing until required

for use.

Any part-used tablets should be discarded.

Do not use after expiry date.

Hope puppy feels better soon  :luck:

Thankyou Claire - she's never looked ill throughout! although why not I shall never know,lol. Wormed yesterday 'worked' ,how long for I don't know, but she's back at vets on Friday

dessie said:
Seraphina said:
I find that the only worming product on the market that really works is Drontal.  Weigh your dog carefully and dose with the maximum amount.  Drontal directions are 3-5kg= 1/2 tablet, 5.1-10kg=1 tablet.  But if your dog is say 5kg I would give 3/4 of tablet.  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
Sorry disagree!! Panacur is just as good and effective as Drontal, so is Stronghold. Strangely, I only attended a seminar on Monday night about parasites and the effects/cures. A question similar to this came up and it would appear that some dog's immune systems just don't work adequately to fight the worm burden so therefore the afflicted dog tends to pass live worms more than normal dogs. You may never get the dog over this so will have to worm more regularly than most.

Modern wormers are very safe, you could worm monthly for instance with no ill effects but you must get a 'proper' wormer (i.e. not one bought from a pet shop) but from either your Vet or a Veterinary pharmacy (wormers are no longer POM).

one of mine does not tolerate Drontal well so I use Panacur on her, you can use it all the time.

Isn't Panacur the stuff that supposes to be responsible for death of whole litters of Collies? It is not widely available in OZ an I have never heard of Stronghold.

Also it is a fallacy that worms become immune to the same wormer so if one brand agrees with your dog more than another, e.g.
All lower, fast reproducing forms of life develop immunity to chemicals that suppose to kill them.

Drontal should not be given along with piperazine compounds, check out with Vet before using anything else.
I would definitely wait at least week before worming again, regardles of product used. And I did NOT say overdose the dog, but give the maximum dose recomended.

Seraphina said:
Isn't Panacur the stuff that supposes to be responsible for death of whole litters of Collies? It is not widely available in OZ an I have never heard of Stronghold.

Then how can you comment?? We are talking about what is freely available, tried and tested, in England. Who says it was the Panacur that caused the death? And so what anyway, it is one litter amongst thousands that Panacur has been used on safely and without adverse effect.

Also it is a fallacy that worms become immune to the same wormer so if one brand agrees with your dog more than another, e.g.
All lower, fast reproducing forms of life develop immunity to chemicals that suppose to kill them.

So you are a Vet?? This info was from a Vet that works in research with the pharmaceutical companies and who breeds/exhibits dogs. I think I would trust his knowledge.

dessie said:
Seraphina said:

Then how can you comment?? We are talking about what is freely available, tried and tested, in England. Who says it was the Panacur that caused the death? And so what anyway, it is one litter amongst thousands that Panacur has been used on safely and without adverse effect.

No it is the Milbemax that effects collies, it contains Avermectin, simular product as Ivermectin and not to be used on any type of collie. Panacur is very safe.

So you are a Vet?? This info was from a Vet that works in research with the pharmaceutical companies and who breeds/exhibits dogs. I think I would trust his knowledge.

dessie said:
Seraphina said:

All what i did was recommend Drontal, which is a very good and effective wormer. :wacko:

Well, if worms do not develop resistance to drugs why is it that such products as Canex, which in the past were extremely effective do not work anymore? :unsure:

What a hell happened to the frames? We will soon run out of colours! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back