The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Barking in the car

Discussion in 'Dog Behaviour and Training' started by imposerose, Jun 18, 2020.

1. imposerose

imposerose New Member Registered

Hello all,

I have 2 Bearded Collies, 7 and 5 years old. They are taken to the park every morning in the car. When they know they are being taken out they continuously bark repetitively until they leave the house, and when they get in the car they continue to bark right up until they get to the park.

We have tried a few things to try and get them to stop barking like:

Spraying water at them with a gentle spray bottle,
    Keeping them distracted with treats,
    & Loud noises

However none of these have seemed to work and its getting to be a real problem. It is very distracting to drive with 2 big dogs barking behind you.

If anyone could suggest any training methods or just tips to try and solve this that would be great!!

Thank you.

2. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Morning,

I believe I saw this on ‘it’s me or the dog’ but when a dog would not stop barking in the car they blocked out the windows at the back so the dog couldn’t see where it was going. It stopped then barking because they couldn’t see where they were going anymore.

Do you always take them out at the same time every morning? Maybe if you’re able to mix up timings they won’t know when they’re going out and so don’t know when to start barking. That won’t work of course if it’s when they see their leads!

May help!

3. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Please don't spray water or use loud noises, aversive techniques and tools may interrupt or suppress a problem but don't actually resolve it, so often the problem will manifest in another undesirable behaviour.

I like Josie's suggestion, also if it is excitement you could try taking them for short drives at different times, that don't end with a walk at the park.

Or, give them something like frozen kongs on the way - they can't lick and bark at the same time.

You could also work on training this using the methods described in this series of short videos. This will take a bit of time, depending on how long the barking habit has been established.

Kikopup Barking Series - YouTube

Jjohnd and Ragsysmum like this.
  4. lurcherman

lurcherman Well-Known Member Registered

It’s all down to the excitement so try not making it a big issue, leave your house and don’t go into car , go for a 100 yard walk first and then when the big burst of excitement has gone down then quickly back to car, this may not win the battle, from the moment I get a dog it’s the car I get them into first and touch wood I’ve yet to have a problem, be very careful which method you try, perseverance for a week then try another method,, but as Joanne has said , training and back to to old school basics I’m afraid. Also how old was the dogs when you got them?

Biker John likes this.
  5. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

I can't offer any further advice, but just wanted to add that this is a breed characteristic - the beardies I know are very barky dogs.

JBP likes this.