The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As a novice, my understanding is that whippets should have a daisy cutting action - as required in show ponies for instance - and good front extension. They need to have their hocks under them to drive the movement foreward from behind - again something that is needed in horses. I know that I'm certainly looking for the same impulsion in a whippet as I am in a horse moving correctly - so I feel there are many similarities. I think they would track up - but someone more knowledgable could answer your question in greater detail.

fable said:
As a novice, my understanding is that whippets should have a daisy cutting action - as required in show ponies for instance - and good front extension. They need to have their hocks under them to drive the movement foreward from behind - again something that is needed in horses. I know that I'm certainly looking for the same impulsion in a whippet as I am in a horse moving correctly - so I feel there are many similarities. I think they would track up - but someone more knowledgable could answer your question in greater detail.
Mustn't forget though that different action is required in different breeds of horses and differs in some breeds of dogs so cannot always make straight comparisons.

Pauline

I think that when people post photograths of other peoples dogs they should have the owners permision . I think that Lucinda has taken this very well, I would have felt very cross. I would not have passed any comment if I had known the dog did not belong to the person who posted the photograph.

:cheers: thanks patsy, but we have always been ;) very happy with the bitch, so anyones derogatory comments are water off a ducks back!! :D

As for movement a whippet should always drive from behind with powerful extension in front, no picking up and the show ponies action would be a good comparison.

patsy said:
I think that when people post photograths of other peoples dogs they should have the owners permision . I think that Lucinda has taken this very well, I would have felt very cross. I would not have passed any comment if I had known the dog did not belong to the person who posted the photograph.
Yes, please if posting photos as examples it would be best to either use your own dogs or have the owner's permission to use their dog. We did this once on another board, and we made all the dogs anonymous before critiqueing them by either changing colours, cropping heads, drawing outlines....

Thanks

Wendy

maggie217 said:
fable said:
Mustn't forget though that different action is required in different breeds of horses and differs in some breeds of dogs so cannot always make straight comparisons.

Pauline

I just want to clarify that I do agree with Fable about the similarities between the action of a daisy cutting show pony and the whippet but wished to point out that you couldn't compare say a Min Pin with a show pony, it would have to be likened to a hackney pony action, so you can't generalise accross the breeds. As different breeds of dogs will have varying degrees of limb angulations so do different breeds of horses.

Pauline

Just wanted to say that I was drawing the comparison with the HORSE not the pony. Horses in general have a longer and lower gait than a pony. Obviously there are many breeds of horse. The Thoroughbred and the Arabian would be the examples I would choose as regards the Whippet.

zafonic said:
i must thank whoever put the picture of my bitch sbis, bis & ir ch Barnesmore Black Orchid on this thread (though the pic is actually copyright to irish canine press!) I was delighted that seraphina chose to point out her correct angulation both front and back, though the pic does make her look a bit long at the back end, the second one of her is more true to her hind angles. She has always passed her correct conformation on to her progeny which include the multi champions B. Pony Soljer and B. Galileo, along with the top whippet in spain 07 and her stock enabled us to win the breeders group trophy in sweden in 07.
Barnesmore whippets, greyhounds and ibizans.  :luck:

i think she is lovely :wub: she is also my charlies grandma :D

This thread has been so informative, I keep visiting to see what's new. It's so nice to have the breed standard(s) illustrated in such a way and have terminology explained. I completely agree that folk should only be using their own pics to show points though.

I've found this thread very interesting and useful too so by all means please use my dogs, i would be interested to hear your constructive comments.

this is Faith, she is under a year old and show bred

Faith2.jpg

01-1.jpg

this s maggie also show bred....

i was looking for a side on view of lola (mainly coursing bred) so a discussion could be made between the different types but i cant find any!!! will take one tho as this topic is very interesting.

have taken some better photos so hopefully they will be of more use to you... will post them in a mo

melanie said:
zafonic said:
i must thank whoever put the picture of my bitch sbis, bis & ir ch Barnesmore Black Orchid on this thread (though the pic is actually copyright to irish canine press!) I was delighted that seraphina chose to point out her correct angulation both front and back, though the pic does make her look a bit long at the back end, the second one of her is more true to her hind angles. She has always passed her correct conformation on to her progeny which include the multi champions B. Pony Soljer and B. Galileo, along with the top whippet in spain 07 and her stock enabled us to win the breeders group trophy in sweden in 07.
Barnesmore whippets, greyhounds and ibizans.  :luck:

i think she is lovely :wub: she is also my charlies grandma :D

.....and my Cassie's mum :wub: :wub: she is just gorgeous

hopefully these will be better, apologies for my poor attempt at stacking!!

LOLA

Image2-2.jpg

Image4-1.jpg

Image3-4.jpg

MAGGIE

Image7-2.jpg

Image5-2.jpg

FAITH

Image12-1.jpg

Image9-1.jpg

patsy said:

TOTALLY...It is just wrong to post pictures of someone else's dog EVEN WORSE if you do not identify it, therefore giving the impression that the poster owns it.

To what purpose did the original poster use this example I wonder.

Natalia I see that these are your first posts ever on K9 although you have a been a member for a while. Maybe you don't quite understand the etiquette of an on line forum, well everyone can make a mistake, but I wonder if you would like to introduce yourself so that we know to whom we are talking?

Cathie

thanks all, for the pics/lines/descriptions - it certainly helps to see it!

now, if you can just pop round with your dogs, I can feels the angles too, just to set it in my mind correctly :- " :lol: :thumbsup:

doris said:
thanks all, for the pics/lines/descriptions - it certainly helps to see it! 
now, if you can just pop round with your dogs, I can feels the angles too, just to set it in my mind correctly :- "  :lol:   :thumbsup:

I think our next thread here should be combined with the Westminster one and compare proper jackets for showing in.

barnesmore said:
just want to thank walter and michael for letting me use their id. have joined myself now!!
Barnesmore

Lucinda - I just want to say how lovely it is you have you aboard. Welcome! and I hope we see lots more of you on k9.

Karen I do think that most of our handlers in the breed are smart in England as you know we are all hobby breeders and owner handlers. In America it is very different, the professionals are paid and they all seem to have a dress code. We would not dare to take another outfit for the group because people would straight away say that you knew you were winning the breed. Most of the exhibitors in the states seem to wear trainers you don't see many in our rings,I for one would not dream of wearing them.

patsy said:
Karen I do think that most of our handlers in the breed are smart in England as you know we are all hobby breeders and owner handlers. In America it is very different, the professionals are paid and they all seem to have a dress code. We would not dare to take another outfit for the group because people would straight away say that you knew you were winning the breed. Most of the exhibitors in the states seem to wear trainers you don't see many in our rings,I for one would not dream of wearing them.
The other day I watched the video of the beagles at Westminster for the first time. To be honest, some of the lady handlers looked okay, but when running around the ring or kneeling to stack the dogs, I do think a trouser suit [the norm here in UK] looks much better than skirts and KNEES. I quite liked some of the glitzy jackets though

Pauline

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back