The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doggy Contraception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
cut out the sweets cakes and cappuccino and i would say you are doing a bloody good job :thumbsup:

not thats its any of my business what you feed your dog, just wouldnt have thought it was very good for her thats all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
harvyandkev said:
Thank you for your post, incidently our Vet is a Greyhound/Whippet expert and we have been consulting with him for the last year.
wilfred said:
Oh that's good.  Who is he - does he exhibit or breed for show or racing?  What bloodlines does he have personal experience of?  I wish my vets had personal extensive knowledge of sighthounds - they know the physical stuff but not the personal knowledge of particular lines etc. 
To get a vet who actually knew the dogs you talk about in pedigrees etc - now that is something!

harvyandkev said:
I must admit, we value the expertise and consider ourselves lucky that our local surgery has such and expert that people have to travel for miles to see! There is a re-homing centre for retired Greyhounds close to where we live, so that keeps him on his toes too!
So which does he do - does he breed/exhibit? or race? I'd be interested - I think it never harms to get knowledge of other vets who actually know the bloodlines and individual dogs in your chosen breed. All too often, vets just know basic information about your breed. You wouldn't believe some of the rubbish I've heard vets come out with over the years!

If you wouldn't mind passing the info on - I think that'd be fantastic, thanks.

lol nicky they will be coming to get us and lock us up......best we get our poor whippys on bread and water......its a hard life lol

I just think it's wrong to assume that you are going to breed off a bitch when she's only a baby...just cos she's well bred in my eyes does'nt mean diddley-sqat

It's just breeding for breedings sake and selling it on because she has good blood lines. :(

maybe im wrong but thats how the posts come across to me.

nicky12 said:
hely said:
nicky12 said:
High Sugar sweets, Cakes and Cappuccino
:- " ooo god im guilty  :oops: shoot me now and come rescue me poor whippies  :- "

where is your ruler nicky :- "

:sweating: sorry miss wont do it again ,did i mention the cooked dinners and do-nuts to :sweating:
:- " coming to get you :- "

argos1 said:
lol nicky they will be coming to get us and lock us up......best we get our poor whippys on bread and water......its a hard life lol
its up to you what you feed your dogs, all i am saying is imo its not good for them thats all, mine gets fed a complete dog food, so apart from treats like sardines and tripe and bits like that, gypsy doesnt need anything else :thumbsup:

argos1 said:
and looking back at pics of out poor babies they do look hard done by dont they :- " dam it no wonder blue is so fat :b and me come to that
doh-1.jpg

I have just re-read your original post and subsequent posts and I still do not know your reason for breeding but I am prepared to admit that it is your business and not mine so I will comment no further except to add that if your vet is such a great authority on all matters whippet why did you feel the need to come on here and ask about doggy contraception and not ask your vet?

Jenny

quintessence said:
I have just re-read your original post and subsequent posts and I still do not know your reason for breeding but  I am prepared to admit that it is your business and not mine so I will comment no further except to add that if your vet is such a great authority on all matters whippet why did you feel the need to come on here and ask about doggy contraception and not ask your vet?
Jenny

because vets dont generally tend to give out free information

quintessence said:
I have just re-read your original post and subsequent posts and I still do not know your reason for breeding but  I am prepared to admit that it is your business and not mine so I will comment no further except to add that if your vet is such a great authority on all matters whippet why did you feel the need to come on here and ask about doggy contraception and not ask your vet?
Jenny

Excellent post Jenny, was just wondering the same actually. Im so surprised that the OP vet is such a knowledge to declare they are such outstanding examples of the breed, i wonder when the vet will be judging crufts :- "

harvyandkev said:
Hi,
We have 2 beautiful whippets with the intention of breeding, starting in 2009.  Our Bitch is about 6 months old, so is due to have her first season sometime soon.  Obviously she is too young to breed now, so we are intending to separate them for the first season. Ideally we are going to wait until the third season, as this is when we can dedicate the most time and attention to the breeding process..

you say you are going to separate them for her first season and then go on to say IDEALLY youll mate her on the 3rd.but what happens if your dog mates her on the 2nd season?

what about your bitch?no mention here of what is best for her only what is best for you?

Does have anyone know about Doggy Contraception, I know from books it is available - I understand that this could be seen as controversial, but having an "accident" litter at the moment would be difficult for us! If it is safe, and works, it would be our extra peace of mind that accidents wont happen.

difficult for you?what about the poor bitch?it would be even more difficult for your bitch

She will eventually have a few litters so we are not considering neutering.

again no interest in what is good for the bitch only what you want.

Please if anybody has any info on this, it would be much appreciated, and help us to make a decision on what to do!

also i just copied this post by argos.is she lying or are you?

is a shame really seen as these guys told us they were going to get there boy neutered as soon as he was old enough.....kev n harv you lied to me and lorna not nice!........

i dont know either you or argos but i have to say you dont exactly come across as an average whippet lover who has come here for advice with a young puppy bitch.no poster ive ever seen comes on a site with a 6 month old baby and talks about breeding a few litters off her.id also like to know who your vet is and what qualifications he has for saying your dogs are outstanding examples of the breed?is he an exhibitor,judge, racer or what?if your dogs and your vet are so good then you will obviously like everyone else here be only to proud to tell us all about them wont you?who is your dogs breeder?what are your dog and bitches bloodlines and why did you choose that line and that dog for your bitch rather than waiting till she is older and you are more experienced and can pick a suitable sire with suitable bloodlines for her after asking advice from your breeder and other breeders?who is your vet?what qualifications does he have for judging your dogs outstanding?is it just cos youre a customer of his?

me personally, im getting very cynical as i get older and mainly cos the longer i live the more people seem to be out for what they can get and the poor old dog is just treated as an afterthought. people usually seem to let me down in my opinions of them(youll have to forgive me as i tend to see a lot of cruelty and irresponsibility towards dogs)for once id like this to be a change and that your answers will put my mind at rest as at the moment i feel youre either a troll who came on here, posted a very controversial post, left it for a few days to see what would bite knowing full well from your post that people on here WOULD bite)or you are serious about breeding a few litters from this little bitch and she is just a means to an end for you.i hope im wrong on both counts :(

joe90 said:
quintessence said:
Jenny

Well thats really strange because my vet does... :thumbsup:

you obviously dont have a good one..

kris said:
harvyandkev said:
Hi,
We have 2 beautiful whippets with the intention of breeding, starting in 2009.  Our Bitch is about 6 months old, so is due to have her first season sometime soon.  Obviously she is too young to breed now, so we are intending to separate them for the first season. Ideally we are going to wait until the third season, as this is when we can dedicate the most time and attention to the breeding process..

you say you are going to separate them for her first season and then go on to say IDEALLY youll mate her on the 3rd.but what happens if your dog mates her on the 2nd season?

what about your bitch?no mention here of what is best for her only what is best for you?

Does have anyone know about Doggy Contraception, I know from books it is available - I understand that this could be seen as controversial, but having an "accident" litter at the moment would be difficult for us! If it is safe, and works, it would be our extra peace of mind that accidents wont happen.

difficult for you?what about the poor bitch?it would be even more difficult for your bitch

She will eventually have a few litters so we are not considering neutering.

again no interest in what is good for the bitch only what you want.

Please if anybody has any info on this, it would be much appreciated, and help us to make a decision on what to do!

also i just copied this post by argos.is she lying or are you?

is a shame really seen as these guys told us they were going to get there boy neutered as soon as he was old enough.....kev n harv you lied to me and lorna not nice!........

i dont know either you or argos but i have to say you dont exactly come across as an average whippet lover who has come here for advice with a young puppy bitch.no poster ive ever seen comes on a site with a 6 month old baby and talks about breeding a few litters off her.id also like to know who your vet is and what qualifications he has for saying your dogs are outstanding examples of the breed?is he an exhibitor,judge, racer or what?if your dogs and your vet are so good then you will obviously like everyone else here be only to proud to tell us all about them wont you?who is your dogs breeder?what are your dog and bitches bloodlines and why did you choose that line and that dog for your bitch rather than waiting till she is older and you are more experienced and can pick a suitable sire with suitable bloodlines for her after asking advice from your breeder and other breeders?who is your vet?what qualifications does he have for judging your dogs outstanding?is it just cos youre a customer of his?

me personally, im getting very cynical as i get older and mainly cos the longer i live the more people seem to be out for what they can get and the poor old dog is just treated as an afterthought. people usually seem to let me down in my opinions of them(youll have to forgive me as i tend to see a lot of cruelty and irresponsibility towards dogs)for once id like this to be a change and that your answers will put my mind at rest as at the moment i feel youre either a troll who came on here, posted a very controversial post, left it for a few days to see what would bite knowing full well from your post that people on here WOULD bite)or you are serious about breeding a few litters from this little bitch and she is just a means to an end for you.i hope im wrong on both counts :(

Too little knowledge is a dangerous thing my friend!

You know nothing of us yet seem to feel it appropriate to pass judgement on a post which was written in good faith. OUR DOGS ARE PETS we brought them because we love them, not because we were "choosing a sire" as you put it. Its funny how people can twist what is written into meaning anything they want it to mean. Perhaps we could have worded our intial post better, but then again we were not expecting such arrogant responses like yours.

Janimal said:
joe90 said:
quintessence said:
Jenny

i dont have a vet, my dogs dont get ill i own a breed that doesnt have inherited illnessess

joe90 said:
Janimal said:
joe90 said:
quintessence said:
Jenny

i dont have a vet, my dogs dont get ill i own a breed that doesnt have inherited illnessess

what a load of twaddle

so they never get injured either... (w00t) mmmmmm strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back