The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doggy Contraception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ITS OK TO HAVE AN OPINION BUT WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SO MEAN ARENT WE ALL HERE FOR THE LOVE OF SIGHTHOUNDS WOULD IT NOT BE FAR BETTER TO TRY AND HELP PEOPLE IF YOU CAN :huggles: :(

harvyandkev said:
kris said:
harvyandkev said:
Hi,
We have 2 beautiful whippets with the intention of breeding, starting in 2009.  Our Bitch is about 6 months old, so is due to have her first season sometime soon.  Obviously she is too young to breed now, so we are intending to separate them for the first season. Ideally we are going to wait until the third season, as this is when we can dedicate the most time and attention to the breeding process..

you say you are going to separate them for her first season and then go on to say IDEALLY youll mate her on the 3rd.but what happens if your dog mates her on the 2nd season?

what about your bitch?no mention here of what is best for her only what is best for you?

Does have anyone know about Doggy Contraception, I know from books it is available - I understand that this could be seen as controversial, but having an "accident" litter at the moment would be difficult for us! If it is safe, and works, it would be our extra peace of mind that accidents wont happen.

difficult for you?what about the poor bitch?it would be even more difficult for your bitch

She will eventually have a few litters so we are not considering neutering.

again no interest in what is good for the bitch only what you want.

Please if anybody has any info on this, it would be much appreciated, and help us to make a decision on what to do!

also i just copied this post by argos.is she lying or are you?

is a shame really seen as these guys told us they were going to get there boy neutered as soon as he was old enough.....kev n harv you lied to me and lorna not nice!........

i dont know either you or argos but i have to say you dont exactly come across as an average whippet lover who has come here for advice with a young puppy bitch.no poster ive ever seen comes on a site with a 6 month old baby and talks about breeding a few litters off her.id also like to know who your vet is and what qualifications he has for saying your dogs are outstanding examples of the breed?is he an exhibitor,judge, racer or what?if your dogs and your vet are so good then you will obviously like everyone else here be only to proud to tell us all about them wont you?who is your dogs breeder?what are your dog and bitches bloodlines and why did you choose that line and that dog for your bitch rather than waiting till she is older and you are more experienced and can pick a suitable sire with suitable bloodlines for her after asking advice from your breeder and other breeders?who is your vet?what qualifications does he have for judging your dogs outstanding?is it just cos youre a customer of his?

me personally, im getting very cynical as i get older and mainly cos the longer i live the more people seem to be out for what they can get and the poor old dog is just treated as an afterthought. people usually seem to let me down in my opinions of them(youll have to forgive me as i tend to see a lot of cruelty and irresponsibility towards dogs)for once id like this to be a change and that your answers will put my mind at rest as at the moment i feel youre either a troll who came on here, posted a very controversial post, left it for a few days to see what would bite knowing full well from your post that people on here WOULD bite)or you are serious about breeding a few litters from this little bitch and she is just a means to an end for you.i hope im wrong on both counts :(

Too little knowledge is a dangerous thing my friend!

You know nothing of us yet seem to feel it appropriate to pass judgement on a post which was written in good faith. OUR DOGS ARE PETS we brought them because we love them, not because we were "choosing a sire" as you put it. Its funny how people can twist what is written into meaning anything they want it to mean. Perhaps we could have worded our intial post better, but then again we were not expecting such arrogant responses like yours.

i have many, many years of knowledge my friend.far more than you have thats for sure! :lol: as for your reply,its what i expected. :thumbsup: pity you didnt change my opinion of you and yes i am allowed an opinion cos if you post stuff like this on an open forum then as far as im concerned its up for free and open discussion.

argos i believe you what you posted.and i still think you have had a close escape ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
affieluver said:
ITS OK TO HAVE AN OPINION BUT WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SO MEAN ARENT WE ALL HERE FOR THE LOVE OF SIGHTHOUNDS WOULD IT NOT BE FAR BETTER TO TRY AND HELP PEOPLE IF YOU CAN :huggles:   :(

I'm with you all the way on this Affieluver, I cant understand why we cant all get along....

maggiemay2 said:
affieluver said:
ITS OK TO HAVE AN OPINION BUT WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SO MEAN ARENT WE ALL HERE FOR THE LOVE OF SIGHTHOUNDS WOULD IT NOT BE FAR BETTER TO TRY AND HELP PEOPLE IF YOU CAN :huggles:   :(

I'm with you all the way on this Affieluver, I cant understand why we cant all get along....

because some people like a good bitch unfortunatly :wacko:

hely said:
maggiemay2 said:
affieluver said:

because some people like a good bitch unfortunatly :wacko:

As my dad used to say.... 'you all want your heads banging together' :b

Janimal said:
joe90 said:
Janimal said:
joe90 said:
quintessence said:
I have just re-read your original post and subsequent posts and I still do not know your reason for breeding but  I am prepared to admit that it is your business and not mine so I will comment no further except to add that if your vet is such a great authority on all matters whippet why did you feel the need to come on here and ask about doggy contraception and not ask your vet?
Jenny

because vets dont generally tend to give out free information

Well thats really strange because my vet does... :thumbsup:

you obviously dont have a good one..

i dont have a vet, my dogs dont get ill i own a breed that doesnt have inherited illnessess

what a load of twaddle

so they never get injured either... (w00t) mmmmmm strange...

if they get injured i take them to a vet, you dont need to have a vet to able to take them to a vet, although luckily they havent beed injured

Well you usually need to be registered with a vet surely...

harvyandkev said:
ARGOS1 – HOW DISSAPOINTING we would now like to set the record straight. 
We did visit to view Phoebe as a potential addition whilst we were searching for our second dog, this is whilst we were considering re-homing as an option, as we too never want to see whippets or any other dogs left without a home.  I would just like to remind you that it was us that rejected phoebe (check your old emails) as we said we didn’t think we could keep the lifestyle she is used to.  This was a polite way of saying she wasn’t what we were looking for, as we really didn’t want to offend you in your time of need.  As you have been so opinionated towards us in your posts perhaps now we can give our real reasons for not homing your dog.

We are concerned that Phoebe is fed allsorts of dangerous foods including High Sugar sweets, Cakes and Cappuccino! A cappuccino every morning for a human may give a kick start for us, but for a dog Caffeine every morning can cause can cause tremors, heart arrhythmias, and seizures.  Phoebe appeared nervous, which compared to our boy’s excellent social skills, may be easier to manage, but is certainly not a positive temperament of a dog!  We were also disturbed by you comments on Phoebe eating a whole pack of margarine which gave her “A glossy coat for a week”.  Of course our dogs are partial to a treat every now and then, however we would never give our dogs the things you said you gave Phoebe, we know you love her, but this is not doing the best for your dog’s health.

We found Phoebe not up to breed standard, and although our long-term aim is to have a litter of pups, we would have not used Phoebe for this as quite simply she isn’t suitable.  It probably wasn’t the best idea on your behalf to advertise her as “un-neutered 2 year old Bitch” if you were so dead against her being bred from anyhow! (I understand that we were not the only ones to complete 160 mile round trip in order to offer assistance in your time of need – you were fortunate enough to have such a good response)  Incidentally we are not looking to continually breed our bitch as you infer.

And as for you “taking our little girl” I think not….. Never would we let her go to a home where her life is put at risk from an unhealthy diet, and to be couped up in a garden the size of a postage stamp, with by your own admission, a lack of ability to exercise the dogs as freely as needed.  Whippets need to have the space to run and in our opinion your home is suited to a smaller more docile breed.  (Besides our dogs are inseparable, eat, sleep and run together, your suggestion of re-homing any one of them is deeply offensive and implies neglect!)

We conclude that on this occasion your much mentioned “gut instinct” about us was wrong, and we are surprised you can form such strong opinions, when you saw for yourselves how much we love and adore our boy! (Even if he is a bit of a lively character – it all adds to the fun of keeping a whippet)

Harvy and Kev

im quite confused by this post. :blink: on the one hand youre saying you were willing to give a home to a dog that needed a home to due tono fault of its own and on the other you say in your opinion she isnt up to breed standard and you found her to be unsuitable because of this and that you wouldnt have bred from her,which to me means that you went to look at phoebe with a view to buying her to breed from or have i misconstrued this as well as everything else?also you say your two dogs are inseparable?so what you gonna do when she comes in season then?cos if you dont want to separate them then youre sure as heck gonna have to separate them then!also you say youve had previous experience of breeding.so why bother coming here asking questions about contraception?surely your whippet expert vet and yourselves as experienced breeders can do without all our help and advice.sorry but i still think youre a troll.prove me wrong! :teehee:

kris said:
harvyandkev said:
We did visit to view Phoebe as a potential addition whilst we were searching for our second dog, this is whilst we were considering re-homing as an option, as we too never want to see whippets or any other dogs left without a home.  I would just like to remind you that it was us that rejected phoebe (check your old emails) as we said we didn’t think we could keep the lifestyle she is used to.  This was a polite way of saying she wasn’t what we were looking for, as we really didn’t want to offend you in your time of need.  As you have been so opinionated towards us in your posts perhaps now we can give our real reasons for not homing your dog.

We are concerned that Phoebe is fed allsorts of dangerous foods including High Sugar sweets, Cakes and Cappuccino! A cappuccino every morning for a human may give a kick start for us, but for a dog Caffeine every morning can cause can cause tremors, heart arrhythmias, and seizures.  Phoebe appeared nervous, which compared to our boy’s excellent social skills, may be easier to manage, but is certainly not a positive temperament of a dog!  We were also disturbed by you comments on Phoebe eating a whole pack of margarine which gave her “A glossy coat for a week”.  Of course our dogs are partial to a treat every now and then, however we would never give our dogs the things you said you gave Phoebe, we know you love her, but this is not doing the best for your dog’s health.

We found Phoebe not up to breed standard, and although our long-term aim is to have a litter of pups, we would have not used Phoebe for this as quite simply she isn’t suitable.  It probably wasn’t the best idea on your behalf to advertise her as “un-neutered 2 year old Bitch” if you were so dead against her being bred from anyhow! (I understand that we were not the only ones to complete 160 mile round trip in order to offer assistance in your time of need – you were fortunate enough to have such a good response)  Incidentally we are not looking to continually breed our bitch as you infer.

And as for you “taking our little girl” I think not….. Never would we let her go to a home where her life is put at risk from an unhealthy diet, and to be couped up in a garden the size of a postage stamp, with by your own admission, a lack of ability to exercise the dogs as freely as needed.  Whippets need to have the space to run and in our opinion your home is suited to a smaller more docile breed.  (Besides our dogs are inseparable, eat, sleep and run together, your suggestion of re-homing any one of them is deeply offensive and implies neglect!)

We conclude that on this occasion your much mentioned “gut instinct” about us was wrong, and we are surprised you can form such strong opinions, when you saw for yourselves how much we love and adore our boy! (Even if he is a bit of a lively character – it all adds to the fun of keeping a whippet)

Harvy and Kev

im quite confused by this post. :blink: on the one hand youre saying you were willing to give a home to a dog that needed a home to due tono fault of its own and on the other you say in your opinion she isnt up to breed standard and you found her to be unsuitable because of this and that you wouldnt have bred from her,which to me means that you went to look at phoebe with a view to buying her to breed from or have i misconstrued this as well as everything else?also you say your two dogs are inseparable?so what you gonna do when she comes in season then?cos if you dont want to separate them then youre sure as heck gonna have to separate them then!also you say youve had previous experience of breeding.so why bother coming here asking questions about contraception?surely your whippet expert vet and yourselves as experienced breeders can do without all our help and advice.sorry but i still think youre a troll.prove me wrong! :teehee:

FOR GOD SAKE GIVE IT A REST KRIS I THINK THEY MIGHT HAVE REALISED YOU DONT LIKE THEM :thumbsup:

Harveyandkev - out of interest please can you tell me how your dogs are bred?

Another note on ppl feeding their dogs, coffee, sweets, cakes etc - that is really worrying! Ours are all fed BARF, Logi had a little too much of his meaty ribs last week and was poorly for 4 days. I feel absolutely terrible about it now as I was the one that gave it to him, and that was the result of only eating something natural. I dread to think what all that sugar, additives, caffeine etc would do to his poor tummy. Makes me shudder just thinking how ill he could be :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rls22 said:
Another note on ppl feeding their dogs, coffee, sweets, cakes etc - that is really worrying!  Ours are all fed BARF, Logi had a little too much of his meaty ribs last week and was poorly for 4 days.  I feel absolutely terrible about it now, and that was the result of only eating something natural.  I dread to think what all that sugar, additives, caffeine etc would do to his poor tummy.  Makes me shudder just thinking how ill he could be    :(

ok just for the record ,just so you all dont start reporting me to rspca or anything when i say cake and sweets ,i mean on the odd occasion and not a whole blooming cake ,and maybe half of my toffee sweet wen iv had some ,also when i say doh-nuts i mean doggy ones of jac and cooked dinners are good for them anyway so :p my dogs are also fed on meat diet and always have bowl of complete down just in case they get hungry :D nearly fogot to add they dont get coffee but have had tea on odd occasions :thumbsup:

at the end of the day, we could all pick fault with everything ever said on here.... Its much better to believe there is good in people out there.

If no further good advice can be given why continue the bickering and back biting? :blink:

affieluver said:
kris said:
harvyandkev said:

Harvy and Kev

FOR GOD SAKE GIVE IT A REST KRIS I THINK THEY MIGHT HAVE REALISED YOU DONT LIKE THEM :thumbsup:

ive got no personal feelings whatsoever towards them.i just dont like dogs being used like theyre a piece of meat with no thoughts of feelings. :rant:

maggiemay2 said:
at the end of the day, we could all pick fault with everything ever said on here.... Its much better to believe there is good in people out there.
If no further good advice can be given why continue the bickering and back biting?  :blink:

WELL SAID :thumbsup:

nicky12 said:
rls22 said:
Another note on ppl feeding their dogs, coffee, sweets, cakes etc - that is really worrying!  Ours are all fed BARF, Logi had a little too much of his meaty ribs last week and was poorly for 4 days.  I feel absolutely terrible about it now, and that was the result of only eating something natural.  I dread to think what all that sugar, additives, caffeine etc would do to his poor tummy.  Makes me shudder just thinking how ill he could be    :(

ok just for the record ,just so you all dont start reporting me to rspca or anything when i say cake and sweets ,i mean on the odd occasion and not a whole blooming cake ,and maybe half of my toffee sweet wen iv had some ,also when i say doh-nuts i mean doggy ones of jac and cooked dinners are good for them anyway so :p my dogs are also fed on meat diet and always have bowl of complete down just in case they get hungry :D nearly fogot to add they dont get coffee but have had tea on odd occasions :thumbsup:
Wasn't aimed at you specifically Nicky, I didn't think you fed them whole cakes!! Our whips all go mad for the dregs of a cuppa too :lol:

Just one word of advice though - if you are feeding pretty much a BARF diet, don't give them a complete too! :thumbsup:

kris said:
affieluver said:
kris said:
harvyandkev said:

Harvy and Kev

ive got no personal feelings whatsoever towards them.i just dont like dogs being used like theyre a piece of meat with no thoughts of feelings. :rant:

I KNOW HUN NONE OF US DO BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY ARE MAYBE THERE ORIGINAL POST WASNT READ RIGHT OR THEY DIDNT COME ACROSS VERY WELL BUT IM SURE THEY LOVE AND CHERISH THEIR DOGS LIKE WE ALL DO :huggles:

I think it is best to give ppl the benefit of the doubt to begin with at least until we know better. Unfortunately expessing yourself on a forum, or in a text where there is no intonnation or expression etc, it is very hard for things to be read completely the wrong way. I know I've sent texts before and they've come across in the complete opposite way it was intended

Think maybe this thread ought to be closed, sa it's kind of gone off the original question now.

rls22 said:
nicky12 said:
rls22 said:

Wasn't aimed at you specifically Nicky, I didn't think you fed them whole cakes!! Our whips all go mad for the dregs of a cuppa too :lol:

Just one word of advice though - if you are feeding pretty much a BARF diet, don't give them a complete too! :thumbsup:

will it do any harm ?seriously now as id like to know what affects this will have and if im doing it wrong id like to know ?the reason i leave bowl of complete down is because i like them to be able to eat if they are hungry and not just at set times if that makes sence and i know if i put down a bowl of meat or bones they would not stop eating all day ,which is why i put the complete down as they tend just to eat a bit of that wen hungry :D

It's not going to kill them off, so don't worry!!!

It's just not necessary to do so - and you're undoing all the goodness of feeding raw by then giving the rubbish that is in a lot of completes. There's lots of info about it on here, if you search. Sorry I'm too lazy to do it at the min :lol:

I don't let mine graze as I can see one of them would end up being like a big fat pig in a week. They get 2 meals and that's it, apart from the occasional treat.

I'm sure your 3 wouldn't be hungry on 2/3 meals - remember whips are greedy guts and would eat all day if allowed, not necessarily through hunger :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back