The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doris' Diary

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can only repeat what JudyN has said.
You are still the breeder, and by law you should have micro chipped the puppies, before they were 8 weeks of age and before they go to their new owners. Giving them away does not alter that.

Tha law changed to make it compulsory in April 2016, which is why you may not be aware.

Uhhh, are you talking about dog tags? Because you can't just stick a microchip in when you take them for a walko_O
i know what i mean... they are having there microchip soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The law states that> The breeder should be their first microchipped registered owner! By 8 weeks of age!

Last edited:
The law states that> The breeder should be their first microchipped registered owner! By 8 weeks of age!
The vets haven't said anything..... and next week there having it done, because it is our decision of the breeder what i do with the puppies!

The vets haven't said anything..... and next week there having it done, because it is our decision of the breeder what i do with the puppies!

For anyone who may read this in future, please be aware that the information above is wrong. With the exception of a small number of dogs for health reasons, the breeder is legally required to have puppies microchipped by 8 weeks of age.

Get your dog microchipped - GOV.UK

I think it may be useful to have this information as a sticky so that anyone deciding to breed can see that the laws have changed. I will do this now.

Maybe this was just something you weren't aware was your responsibility @Violet Turner ? I certainly wouldn't have known. I always thought it was the owners responsibility but it's interesting to see how the law has changed to make it the breeders responsibility. Which is a positive thing.

I think it may be useful to have this information as a sticky so that anyone deciding to breed can see that the laws have changed. I will do this now.

Maybe this was just something you weren't aware was your responsibility @Violet Turner ? I certainly wouldn't have known. I always thought it was the owners responsibility but it's interesting to see how the law has changed to make it the breeders responsibility. Which is a positive thing.
I just researched it and I honestly never knew they had to be chipped, the vets hasn't commented on it though...

Maybe you could mention to your vet when you are in there next time and ask them to put up a notice in their waiting room, just to remind other people like yourself.

Maybe you could mention to your vet when you are in there next time and ask them to put up a notice in their waiting room, just to remind other people like yourself.
Yeah Thanks i will do :)

I can only repeat what JudyN has said.
You are still the breeder, and by law you should have micro chipped the puppies, before they were 8 weeks of age and before they go to their new owners. Giving them away does not alter that.
Actually i didn't breed her so how does this work
?

For anyone who may read this in future, please be aware that the information above is wrong. With the exception of a small number of dogs for health reasons, the breeder is legally required to have puppies microchipped by 8 weeks of age.

Get your dog microchipped - GOV.UK
But I'm not the breeder!!!!!! what I'm supposed to do because i never breed her, I'm also not the breeder ?

As the link says, 'You must make sure your dog is fitted with a microchip by the time it’s 8 weeks old.' Whatever the terminology, they were your puppies and you were responsible for them, so the bit I've just quoted makes it clear what you should do.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back