The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doris' Diary

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As the link says, 'You must make sure your dog is fitted with a microchip by the time it’s 8 weeks old.' Whatever the terminology, they were your puppies and you were responsible for them, so the bit I've just quoted makes it clear what you should do.
They are having there next injections next week that's when they are being microchipped is this okay?
Ollie and Fudge are already at there new homes what should i do also?

They are having there next injections next week that's when they are being microchipped is this okay?
Ollie and Fudge are already at there new homes what should i do also?
You need to get in touch with their new owners and arrange for them to be chipped now. You should also pay any costs. You may not have been there for the mating but by allowing the pregnancy to continue to birth, you are the breeder.

Well in a strictly legal sense, no - but if the authorities questioned you I'm sure they'd be happy if you said you'd be getting it done in the next few days. You need to get in touch with Ollie and Fudge's new owners and tell them that they need to get them microchipped. If they didn't, I'm not sure who would be liable, them or you... or both.

You need to get in touch with their new owners and arrange for them to be chipped now. You should also pay any costs. You may not have been there for the mating but by allowing the pregnancy to continue to birth, you are the breeder.
why should i pay? I have given the puppies away not sold them and I'm not going to pay vet bills or vaccinations or microchipping. quick question can i breed Doris when she gets older would you recommend or not?

why should i pay?

Because it's the law!!

Dog breeders, meanwhile, must ensure that puppies are microchipped and recorded by the time they are eight weeks old and before they are sold.
  • Puppies must be microchipped by 8 weeks
  • Breeders will be responsible for microchipping and must be recorded as the first keeper
From Compulsory Microchipping

It really is quite clear. As Doris's owner you count as the breeder whether you arranged the mating or not, and the fact that you gave away the pups rather than sold them is neither here nor there. If you're not willing to accept responsibility then no, you shouldn't breed her again.

Because it's the law!!

From Compulsory Microchipping

It really is quite clear. As Doris's owner you count as the breeder whether you arranged the mating or not, and the fact that you gave away the pups rather than sold them is neither here nor there. If you're not willing to accept responsibility then no, you shouldn't breed her again.
But all the owners have paid for the vaccinations. I will probably never see some of the pups again... But also how will i be recorded as the first keeper if i wont see them again. Also the puppies never had an examination until last week, does this make me an irresponsible dog owner?

I'd have a chat with your vet when you take Doris in to microchip her - hopefully they can advise you on the position regarding the other pups.

I'd have a chat with your vet when you take Doris in to microchip her - hopefully they can advise you on the position regarding the other pups.
Okay thanks for your help, now I'm in the wrong not the owners so i will have to speak to the owners

I believe that all new owners should be prepared to vaccinate their own puppies at their own expense, so many puppies vaccinations are started too early and while they still have good protection from their mothers!

You will be recorded as the puppies "first" owner at the time of micro-chipping your litter, it is the new owners duty to make the changes themselves after the change of ownership, until such time you are still the registered micro-chipped owner!!!

Would you not have gotten financial help from the rescue centre @Violet Turner ? If she came to you already pregnant surely they have part responsibility to help pay towards things? Or it may have been useful to ask the new owners to pay for the microchipping if you were giving them a free puppy?

Would you not have gotten financial help from the rescue centre @Violet Turner ? If she came to you already pregnant surely they have part responsibility to help pay towards things? Or it may have been useful to ask the new owners to pay for the microchipping if you were giving them a free puppy?
I never asked for financial help, i have a well paid job; but what I'm saying is i don't want to be the puppies/owners reasonability for paying for there vaccinations and microchipping. The owners have already said they don't need my help and don't need me to do microchipping. @excuseme i gave the puppies away and we never gave the puppies a health check at all. we never needed to if we had given them a check up i would have microchipped them myself and vaccinated them also at my own cost...

Naturally i dont know for sure, but I suspect it might be that she is just astonished that you still insist it wasn't your responsibility to microchip despite you being told the legal position several times.

Naturally i dont know for sure, but I suspect it might be that she is just astonished that you still insist it wasn't your responsibility to microchip despite you being told the legal position several times.
Yeah i get the fact its not great now, but at the time i never knew... I didn't think it was my responsibility as i didn't know the law at that time, and i know now that i was in the wrong... I'm sincerely sorry for not microchipping the puppies and not vaccinating them neither, sorry @excuseme, @JoanneF, @JudyN, @Josie and anyone else i have mistaken in this thread

Whatever. But 2 hours ago -
Yeah because I'm not the puppies owners. Don't say 'whatever' you are a grown woman, please tell me where i have gone wrong and explain it to me properly. Thanks

Just reread the threads Violet. As the owner, breeder, whatever you ought to have had them chipped. You didn't, so you need to do it now or get the new owners to. Since you ought to have had it done before they went to their new owners, morally if not legally you ought to bear any cost. Please can we stop picking this particular scab now?

Just reread the threads Violet. As the owner, breeder, whatever you ought to have had them chipped. You didn't, so you need to do it now or get the new owners to. Since you ought to have had it done before they went to their new owners, morally if not legally you ought to bear any cost. Please can we stop picking this particular scab now?
Yes we can. But please in future stop having a go at me and tell me in a straight forward manner before making a big scene...

You have been told, in a straight forward manner and with the informational links too. It is you who has chosen to make it a "big scene". :eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back