The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Home For Tess Special Needs Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have to say she's the only one who hasn't given up hope on this dog. There's been a lot of untruths and statements that don't quite fit about Tess, hence it's been decided that Mum will foster the dog and arrangements for Tess to be checked out at the vets have been made. I think once we know exactly what Tess's predicament is - not just now but for the future and what issues she may have then it would be unfair to rehome her until we can give an open and impartial view on her.

IMO the world would be a worse place without people like Kris in it - well done for taking her on and giving her every chance possible. What ever the outcome for this little dog she will have known love and security in her life, thanks to Kris.

Dont feel bad Kris - you really are an angel.

though things haven't worked out yet, tess is a very lucky girl to have someone like kris ready to fight her corner.

i've got my ears to the ground for a special home for her :thumbsup: :luck: :luck: :luck:

good luck with tess :luck: :huggles: :luck:

as already said kris DO NOT FEEL BAD !!! your the only one helping this little girl at the moment and without you she would have no future at all , your a saint for helping her and although the homes havent worked out your still there for her so IMHO thats a fantastic job you are doing :thumbsup:

you know where i am and im also keeping my ears open for that special home :luck:

Kris don't get worked up about it and don't feel that you have failed you have done a fantastic job so far, its not your fault people have not been 100% honest if they can pull the wool over Wendy's eyes then they are good at it, it will be 100% easier when you have done a full assessment on her and it will not be to hard placing her in the right home

if you need anymore help just give us a call

Tony

:thumbsup: Kris - I think you have and are doing a brilliant job. Having worked in rescue I know how disheartening it can be to see one come back...especially when it is one that is so special and had such a bad time :( . Chin up, :luck: :luck:

Tina

Poor Tess :(

Kris try to keep your chin up :huggles: You are trying your very best for her. It is just such a difficult situation trying to find her the best possible home.

Kris it's wonderful what you are doing for Tess.

The right home will just be round the corner I'm sure.

Keep smiling :huggles:

thanks everyone for all the support. :huggles: shes been to my vets today and everyone in the waiting room was fussing over her. :D shes never going to get better he says and if anything he think shell have fits as she starts to get older.hes got a few brain damaged cats himself and was saying how one of them looks straight past you,she does a similar thing as if shes not focussing her eyes on you sometimes it looks like shes crosseyed.anyway he reckons theres nothing can be done for her,physio wont do anything etc as its permanent damage and he doesnt think anything will improve it.so it looks like she hasnt got a very bright future. :( anyway the good news is shes being very responsive to my hubs and is all over him now.she loves sitting on his knee and getting cuddles off him.(hes a big softy!) ;) she still hates the cats but were going to have to work on that.any advice?ive never had a real cat hating dog before so im not sure how to go about getting her used to them.if i can get her to accept them it will of course increase her chances of finding a good home as she will be restricted to a non cat owning home at the moment.

, i dont have cats myself but a friend who does rescue does and she has a real aggressive cat lol she muzzles the dogs so they cant hurt the cat then has a lead on the dog , when the dog goes for the cat she pulls back and yells no at top note :- " after a few times of this she lets the dog sniff the cat but leaves it muzzled so it still cant bite , the cat then batters the dog lol

she keeps a piece of cord on the dog at all times then if it goes to chase she can grab it easier than a collar :thumbsup:

poor tess dosent look to have the longest future but im sure it will be a happy one , glad she is ok at yours :D

thats a real mine of information for me Sharon. :thumbsup: im going to try this tomorrow as shes had another go tonight with one of the other cats.at this rate shes going to kill one of them cos shes really going for them.my eldest one that she had a go at yesterday is a bit traumatised and wont come downstairs now. :( i know shes learning disabled but i think if i try what youve said it just might work.she scalded her face yesterday as i got a casserole out of the oven she literally launched herself at it and scalded herself.(shes constantly hungry poor girl)i think everythings a learning curve at the moment.tomorrow im going to go and buy her a little muzzle and try what youve said with her.hope it works for my cats sakes!i think hubs is falling in love with her.she constantly goes to him. :D

Traumatic brain injury can be funny thing and cause allsorts of strange behaviour in humans,

little things like, permanent hunger, loss of smell/hearing/taste, inappropriate imotional response, short temper, visual disturbance

to the bigger problems like paralysis, palsy etc

the brain can often to a certain degree re-wire and learn to cope, this can take a couple of years, sometimes longer,

she is a young dog so i certainly wouldn't be rushing to say she won't improve much from where she is now. it probably took about 5 years for me to get back to 90% function (i'm not saying 90% normal coz i was never normal in the first place :lol: )

give her a hug and tell her from me... you can get away with loads if you flash the "don't tell me off, i'm a bit daft" look :D :thumbsup:

cheers i will! :D when i first told my vet about her he said that if a puppys brain is injured theres more chance of it repairing than if its an adult and that some make a good rcovery.i think hes just being pessimistic cos he doesnt want to hold out too much hope and then were disappointed when it doesnt happen. :thumbsup:

i know you are still assesing her but just curious what are her 'difficulties'?

like with humans physical therapy is a big help,

swimming is great for co-ordination, so is deep muscle massage,

accupuncture, reiki, and methods like TTellington touch might also help stimulate her nervous system.

i'll ask my homoeopath if he can suggest anything when i see him next week :thumbsup:

poor Tess is probably one messed up little girlie at the moment, probably initially fine in new surroundings (brain is too overwhelmed to react properly) but when she starts to relax, she is able to 'loose her temper with children/cats etc' it will take time but i'm sure a simple routine and gentle guidance will see her heading in the right direction and i'm sure you are the absolutely perfect person to help her Kris :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read this and cannot believe someone would do that to a poor dog...

Just a thought... If she doesnt like cats, and not keen on a busy household... Then surely there must be a older calmer person, maybe retired, who hasnt got cats and is looking for a companion for however long she will have?

It said earlier that you had 472 odd offers of a home for her... Were none of them right for her?

Is she that brain damaged that she doesnt understand commands? What habits does she have due to the damage?

Maybe someone out there knows of someone who would be right for her.... An article in the local newspaper might gain more offers perhaps? There are still alot of people out there who aren't cat people (i'm one of them!)...

In my opinion it is difficult getting a dog with normal brain function who wants to eat cats to accept them... (my lurcher was DEFINITELY not cat friendly and i would never have tried to get her to be as it would not have worked)... but if she has short term memory then is she going to remember every day that she isnt supposed to eat them?

I really wouldnt try to rehome her with cats judging by whats happened... If she did forget and hurt a cat then she probably would get sent back to you for the 3rd time...

Settling into a new home is hard for a "normal" dog but for one with learning difficulties i really would just let her be her and find somewhere where she doesnt have cats to deal with on top of trying to bond with the new owner, new smell, new world...

Its the same with the rescue greyhound kennels i help out with... The ones who are not keen on chasing, great with small dogs or have never raced usually go to cat friendly homes as it is easier for them to lose the small amount of "keeness" that they have (outside cats are still fair game though)... The ones who are seasoned racers and either OK with small dogs or not ok with small dogs are not suitable to a home with cats because they have shown they want to eat them at first sight...

I will ask around at work as there are alot of ladies who are semi retired and love dogs so there maybe someone....

Hi Rebecca, this thread's a little long now so as you've read through you might have got a bit confused. Originally a rescue centre in the midlands had her, Kris chanced upon the details and asked around and Keith, an acquaintence expressed an interest so Kris merely passed the details on to the rescuse centre. Unfortunately there seems to be some confusion as a vetting was never carried out of Keiths, or of Tess either it seems as I would of expected a rescue centre to know if one of their dogs had issues with certain things, e.g. cats.

Kris felt somewhat responsible for the failure and as the rescue centre was having some dire problems, she spread word to try and find a home for the pup while Keith kept Tess seperated from the cat. A home was then found (Tracey) and Kris then contacted Wendy and Tony on my recommendation to carry out a home check. (Wendy and Tony, many will know on here have carried out hundreds of home checks for several rescue centres and are very experienced in this area)

Home check was passed but some essential information had been denied to Wendy (the fact a 6 year old child was living there) Why this child didn't meet Wendy is a mystery as she did request all family members be present for interviewing. Tracey then contacted Kris after 2 days, informing her that Tess had shown aggression towards this child, so after much discussion here, we felt it was best that someone fostered the dog and did a full analysis of it's behaviour and it's health status, out prior to finding an appropiate home.

I'll post my opinions on it's behaviour later as there's quite a lot to say. :sweating:

Rebecca80 said:
Just read this and cannot believe someone would do that to a poor dog...
Just a thought...  If she doesnt like cats, and not keen on a busy household... Then surely there must be a older calmer person, maybe retired, who hasnt got cats and is looking for a companion for however long she will have?

It said earlier that you had 472 odd offers of a home for her...  Were none of them right for her?

Is she that brain damaged that she doesnt understand commands?  What habits does she have due to the damage?

Maybe someone out there knows of someone who would be right for her....  An article in the local newspaper might gain more offers perhaps?  There are still alot of people out there who aren't cat people (i'm one of them!)...

In my opinion it is difficult getting a dog with normal brain function who wants to eat cats to accept them...  (my lurcher was DEFINITELY not cat friendly and i would never have tried to get her to be as it would not have worked)... but if she has short term memory then is she going to remember every day that she isnt supposed to eat them?

I really wouldnt try to rehome her with cats judging by whats happened...  If she did forget and hurt a cat then she probably would get sent back to you for the 3rd time...

Settling into a new home is hard for a "normal" dog but for one with learning difficulties i really would just let her be her and find somewhere where she doesnt have cats to deal with on top of trying to bond with the new owner, new smell, new world...

Its the same with the rescue greyhound kennels i help out with...  The ones who are not keen on chasing, great with small dogs or have never raced usually go to cat friendly homes as it is easier for them to lose the small amount of "keeness" that they have (outside cats are still fair game though)...  The ones who are seasoned racers and either OK with small dogs or not ok with small dogs are not suitable to a home with cats because they have shown they want to eat them at first sight...

I will ask around at work as there are alot of ladies who are semi retired and love dogs so there maybe someone....

I would like to thank every one who has helped Tess .

Just so sorry that i took the owners word that she was ok with Cats.

Tess really should have been cat tested but with so many problems going on it was so important that a home was found quick to give Tess a chance.

I think you did the best you could under the circumstances Theresa, I don't hold any blame for Tess's predicament with anyone and it's of no benefit either way. Personally I feel a lot of people have felt compelled to help after hearing about her circumstances but haven't really put great thought into the reality of the situation. Hopefully some careful observation of her over a reasonable period of time will highlight all her problems as well her abilities and a prospective new owner can be fully informed into exactly what they're taking on.

I'm so sorry Tess's home didn't work out.

It does sound as though what she really needs is a quiet time where she can begin to settle into a routine and be properly assessed. I know you'll do a good job with her, Kris, but equally if you feel she'd be better in a quiet foster home without cats then you mustn't feel guilty about admitting that.

Whatever you decide she's lucky to have you on her side. :huggles:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back