Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Injured Pup

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyboy45

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
One of my 3/4 pups ,injured the inside of his knee joint this evening,and with doin what i usualy do,to find and pinpoint injuries,i need to get a look at summit that would show me ligament and muscle stuff,on the inside of the knee.As all the stuff ive looked at,only shows the outside tendons,ligament and muscle's.I have found the injury,and need to know what i am dealing with,before i phone the vet in the morning,who is 3 hours away,and hard to get on a saturday.If i can tell him exactly where and what the problem is,i might be able to save myself,quite a long journey.Any help appreciated. ...Billy... all_on_his_own.jpgThis is the boy in question

Last edited by a moderator:
How can a vet treat it over the phone , get the poor mite to a vet in the morning

billy seriously..are you running your dogs over a rough field or are you just the most unluckiest dog owner i know :(

vet job . dont let this develop into something worse. can you not take out "group insurance" or maybe just insure the dogs who pick up injuries more than the rest ?

best of luck with him :luck:

john

stormydog said:
billy seriously..are you running your dogs over a rough field or are you just the most unluckiest dog owner i know  :( vet job . dont let this develop into something worse. can you not take out "group insurance" or maybe just insure the dogs who pick up injuries more than the rest ?

best of luck with him  :luck:

john

ps sounds like flexors or extensors to me .

Take it to the vet and he'll tell you what the injury is, rather than you telling him!

Hope the poor lad is ok.

poor jake! :(

hope he is gonna be ok, let us know what the vet says Billy

I would say get him to the vets NOW!!

To me,folks that can't make the effort to get to the vets immediately when needed,however far away they are,shouldn't have animals!

Have you been to the vets then???????

Seriously Billy, injuries like this need proper investigation and treatment. If you value your dog, I hope you're there as I'm typing.

alfyn said:
To me,folks that can't make the effort to get to the vets immediately when needed,however far away they are,shouldn't have animals!

Ok mouth piece,as it happens,my vet is over 100 miles away.That is,the only one i trust.Ive taken pups,racing dogs,and greyhounds,to various vets.Paid them a load of borrowed money(At times),and had them wrongly diagnose the injury.leaving me owing money and a pup,dog or whatever,having to be PTS.This has happened on more occasions that i care to remember.Experience has told me,that you dont go running to the vet,everytime a pup or whatever hurts itself.Otherwise we couldnt afford to keep them all.Tarn was injured on numerous occasions,all of which i treated myself.And her racing record was 2nd to none.Winning her last All Ireland Title,at the age of 71/2 years old.Recently.Megan broke her tail,about 4 inches from the end.3 different vets i took her to,wanted to amputate the end of her tail,saying it wouldnt take.I fixed it myself,and its 100% healed.So dont dare tell me that i shouldnt have animals.I put off having a heart opp,and also anther time put off a hernia opp twice,because one of the dogs was sick.So dont dare lable me as a none carer.Im on the sick due to heart probs and other things,so cant afford these big vet bills all the time,when they're not needed in the first place.And 9 times out of 10,rest is the best cure of all.

billyboy45 said:
alfyn said:

Ok mouth piece,as it happens,my vet is over 100 miles away.That is,the only one i trust.Ive taken pups,racing dogs,and greyhounds,to various vets.Paid them a load of borrowed money(At times),and had them wrongly diagnose the injury.leaving me owing money and a pup,dog or whatever,having to be PTS.This has happened on more occasions that i care to remember.Experience has told me,that you dont go running to the vet,everytime a pup or whatever hurts itself.Otherwise we couldnt afford to keep them all.Tarn was injured on numerous occasions,all of which i treated myself.And her racing record was 2nd to none.Winning her last All Ireland Title,at the age of 71/2 years old.Recently.Megan broke her tail,about 4 inches from the end.3 different vets i took her to,wanted to amputate the end of her tail,saying it wouldnt take.I fixed it myself,and its 100% healed.So dont dare tell me that i shouldnt have animals.I put off having a heart opp,and also anther time put off a hernia opp twice,because one of the dogs was sick.So dont dare lable me as a none carer.Im on the sick due to heart probs and other things,so cant afford these big vet bills all the time,when they're not needed in the first place.And 9 times out of 10,rest is the best cure of all.

billy you are experianced enough to know what to do,and dont take on board to much of certain people on these forums take care mark

stormydog said:
billy seriously..are you running your dogs over a rough field or are you just the most unluckiest dog owner i know  :( vet job . dont let this develop into something worse. can you not take out "group insurance" or maybe just insure the dogs who pick up injuries more than the rest ?

best of luck with him  :luck:

john

John.One thing you above all people know,is that i wont run my dogs over hard or to rough a ground.Remember the day that i pulled my dogs out of the racing,but the rest of you went on ahead,and were very,very lucky to get away with it.Im rearing 6 pups at the minute,and these things happen.They were the last pair,to get a wee run in a field that i recon is quite safe.What i was looking for was a muscular thing so i could see what the name of the ligaments in question are called,so that Brian could tell me what to do,if anything.As it happens,i was talking to him a while ago,and there is nothing you can realy do,for torn lig's in the knee joint,other than complete rest,and absulutely no jumping of any kind.Remember John,when it comes to knee's,i think im well up with the injury thing,after all thats happened to mine.Ijust thought the lig names might all be different in dogs.Its the collateral ligs on the inside that are torn.So its the R.I.C.E,TREATMENT.Rest,Ice,compression,and elevation.The exact same thing i had to do with my own knee'injuries.

tanyia said:
How can a vet treat it over the phone , get the poor mite to a vet in the morning
If it was a cow or pig or summit ,the vets over here might know what they are talking about.But as for lurchers,they hate them,and most would P.T.D,at the first oppertunity.I think ive forgoten,more about injuries in racing and working lurchers than most vets over here will ever learn,and on at least 8 out of 10 tomes a phone call is all that is needed.Would you honestly run to the doctor,everytime a child fell and cut a knee,or had a runny nose.I would think not.If we were all like that,we would wrap them up in cotton wool or summit.Maybe thats why the dogs of today,are like the footy players we see,week in week out,in the English so called premier league.Sorry if this sounds a bit abrupt.It isnt meant that way.

Everyone talks about insurance.If the truth was told,that the dogs were being used for racing and hunting,just how many insurance companies would take the dogs on.?I had Tarn n judy,n Snipe,insured,and when i made a claim for vet treatment,it was not only turned down,cause the bitch was used for racing,they canceled the premium,as it didnt cover for racing dogs.Since then,i have sorted about 80% of injuries myself.About 90% of these have been succesfull.How many vets have more success than this.Not many,i bet.Ok ,ive made the odd blunder and regretted it,how many of us havent.Take my Scruff pup.99%of vets would have told me to P.H.D.that he would never be able to run.But i did what my vet did with my wifes Silver dog,who also broke all 4 metacarples ,and he seems to be running ok for a pup of 6 months.and he's still alive,which is even more important.Only ever had Parvo twice in my life.And this was with pups that were inoculated through the vets,and picked the Parvo up,in the clinic,while they were there.Have done my own ever since,without a problem.I will in the next few days,post a pic,of the vet clinic in ? where i picked up the Parvo,although they are not all like this,but still take the **** out of people ,when it comes to paying the bills,or should i say the ridickulous bills.99%OF VETS WOULD HAVE PUT THIS BOY DOWN AT 10 WEEKS OF AGE Billy...Sruff_struttin_his_stuff.jpg

billyboy45 said:
alfyn said:

OK maybe i am a mouthpiece,but ffs,someone needs to say something :rant:

It doesn't matter how far away a good vet is,if your dog needs to see him,then you go! If you can't afford the vet fees,then you shouldn't have so many dogs!

You seemed very proud to show us that poor young black dog of yours that you did a diy job on,the poor dog must have been in bloody agony :(

Look what happened to his foot after you stupidly bandaged it up & let it fester,i don't think an "experienced or caring" dog owner would ever let that happen to their dogs! IMO,that is plain bloody cruelty :rant:

I'd like to see the same happen to you & see if you could stand the pain!

hold on a minute that happened because the vet did the cast too tight not what biily had done ( i think)

sorry but my twopennysworth is the same as debs.i was very upset to see the pics of that poor dogs foot.diy jobs shouldnt be attempted for some ailments especially when the dogs health and welfare is at risk.its allright comparing it to rushing to the docs with a child every time it sneezes but theres no way thats the same.if you cant afford to get your animals treated by a vet then you ought to think about the whys and wherefores of why you keep them.in this country if you dont get treatment for a dog or try to treat it yourself when it needs veterinary attention then you are making yourself liable for a prosecution.if you need help then the pdsa might be able to assist you,other than that why not get a few of the dogs insured and dont tell the vet treating them that theyve been injured racing or hunting.just say you were out for a walk and the dog took off after a rabbit and the injury happened accidentally. :- "

simpson said:
hold on a minute that happened because the vet did the cast too tight not what biily had done ( i think)
Well that's not how me & quite a few other read it :blink:

alfyn said:
simpson said:

read above ..........i went back n read it i thought the vet had done it and billy had took the cast off due the bleeding :oops:

i stand corrected

simpson said:
alfyn said:
simpson said:

read above ..........i went back n read it i thought the vet had done it and billy had took the cast off due the bleeding :oops:

i stand corrected

I was replying at the same time as you posted,so hadn't seen your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back