The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Italian Greyhound Wanted

Lucadion

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, my 1st post (a long one too :) )

I'm looking for an IG as a companion for my IG boy, Luca.

Luca is a chocolate brown and 7 years old. He was involved in a road accident, about a year ago, when he dashed over half a mile of a field when he saw another dog he wanted to make friends with :)

Unfortunately, there was a road before he reached the other dog and was hit by a white van :eek:

The upshot of this is that he's lost the use of his front left leg because of nerve damage. I've been doing physio on him for the last year hoping he would regain some feeling, but this hasn't worked. Now it's time for his leg to come off :x

Since the accident he's aged considerably, so I'd like an IG puppy to make him feel young again and to keep each other company :D

I have 2 options:

1. To buy a puppy (from where I don't know)

2. To stud Luca- he has a very good pedigree. His father is Turigner High Tide and mother is Carigra Cammeo. Grandparents are Tamoretta Tidalwave of Turigner, Turigner Forget Me Not, Kereenagh Ariodante of Cenere & Seawards Spick ‘n’ Span.

I would prefer the 2nd option as I'd love one his sons as Luca has a very loving temperament ;)

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated :)

Dion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to K9 Dion :thumbsup:

Poor Luca :( I'm so sorry to hear about his leg. You must have been beside yourself when he was hit by a van. He was so lucky to escape with his life. :huggles:

I can't help in your search but just wanted to wish you good luck in your search for a companion for Luca and that all goes well with his leg. :luck:

Hi Dion

Welcome to K9 :cheers:

Poor Luca - what an awful tragedy for you and him. He sounds like a lovely wee man.

Sorry I can't help; I have no plans to breed with either of mine. But I wish you lots of luck in your search and hope you find a little Ig friend for him soon. :huggles: :thumbsup: You could try asking the Italian greyhound club for more information on pups etc. http://www.theitaliangreyhoundclub.co.uk/

Give your brave wee fellow a hug :huggles:

wigglesworth said:
Poor Luca  :( I'm so sorry to hear about his leg. You must have been beside yourself when he was hit by a van. He was so lucky to escape with his life.  :huggles:
Thankfully, he was lucky :)

zilloot said:
You could try asking the Italian greyhound club for more information on pups etc.  http://www.theitaliangreyhoundclub.co.uk/
Give your brave wee fellow a hug :huggles:

I will try the IG website, thanks. He's constantly being hugged :lol:

Here's some pictures of my little devil :- "

Sorry about the quality, I had to photo some photo's :(

Luca1.jpg

Luca2.jpg

Luca3.jpg

The first 2 pictures are of him when he was around 1 year old.

The last picture was when he was around 3 years old.

he's lovely :huggles:

:luck: :luck: good luck with the op :( and with finding your little man a new friend :thumbsup:

I don't know how easy it will be to find a puppy or a bitch to breed from, but maybe an older (less bouncy!! :- " ) friend would be worth considering?

Sorry sorry to hear about Luca's accident :( It must have been awful for you all :huggles:

I hope the op goes well, and wish you the best of luck with your search :luck:

Luca is a very handsome man, and sooooo shiny :wub:

doris said:
he's lovely :huggles:
:luck:   :luck: good luck with the op  :( and with finding your little man a new friend :thumbsup:  

I don't know how easy it will be to find a puppy or a bitch to breed from, but maybe an older (less bouncy!! :- " ) friend would be worth considering?

I will consider any IG as a companion for Luca :huggles:

Thank you all for your kind words :)

Here's a couple of pictures I've just taken, aged 7 years 4 months. See how much he's aged and you can see how the muscle has wasted away on his bad leg.

P1000358.jpg

P1000363.jpg

ah, bless him :huggles:

my little Zoe is a blue fawn, when she was young she had a dark face but now she's got loads of grey too :(

Genie is blue and white so has aged more gracefully :*

15.JPG

hello and welcome ! he looks gorgeous! a handsome gentleman :wub: :wub: im not sure how easy it will be to get a companion for him but have you tried italian rescue? does your dogs breeder not breed anymore? im sure someone on here will keep an ear out for you? i will have to post some pics of my elderly girl my blues granny and his daughter tippy, all ever so well behaved at all times :oops: :- "

It's not for me to judge, but with the greatest respect, a genuine guy has come on here to ask for help.

I find it sad that this topic has been reduced to this :(

Please please please people, let's not descend to unwanted's level, perhaps that's why they/she/he appear to be unwanted.

You will find most IG owners are keen to educate people new to the breed and lots of us use our common sense as to how to keep our Iggies healthy and happy. Yes there are 2 totally different view points (probably more than 2 actually) about how and who should keep Iggies. On the forum we all encourage our Iggies to be natural and do doggy things. Mine think they are Whippets and do everything the Whippets do including coursing, Zilloots fabulous Zoomie is a real credit to the breed and is very definitely a hardy little chap, playing with his Labrador chum.

I get really fed up with people who cannot see/respect another person's opinion and YES, experience. I'm fortunate, I've had Iggies 10 years, but been involved with my friend who has owned them for nearly 50 years.

If you are determined to find an Iggie, find one you will. It will take time as most breeders are very careful as to who they let their puppies go to. But as you already have an Iggie, you're half way there. So keep on looking but be patient. All good things come to those who wait.

TC said:
It's not for me to judge, but with the greatest respect, a genuine guy has come on here to ask for help.
I find it sad that this topic has been reduced to this  :(

i agree :thumbsup:

Welcome :cheers: to K9, Lucadion. :)

Im so sorry to ready about little Luca, what an aweful shame ... he looks such a lovely little man. :wub: thank you for showing us your lovely photos of him.

I wish you the very best of luck in finding him a little friend. :luck: whichever route you choose.

posh totty said:
does your dogs breeder not breed anymore?
I've tried ringing and writing to her but with no answer to either :(

unwanted said:
it will be like finding rocky horse sh.. getting one off the italian lot in there little tight knit group good luck  :luck:
I'm finding that out but you have to agree that they're only trying to protect the breed. If you had an IG, you wouldn't give one to just anyone, would you?

TC said:

Me too. Although it did seem to be light hearted banter :D

I've seen much worse on other forums :rant:

janfiers said:
I'm fortunate, I've had Iggies 10 years, but been involved with my friend who has owned them for nearly 50 years.
If you are determined to find an Iggie, find one you will.  It will take time as most breeders are very careful as to who they let their puppies go to.  But as you already have an Iggie, you're half way there.  So keep on looking but be patient.  All good things come to those who wait.

I had 3 whippets, all bitches, when I was living with my parents, from 1972-1994.

I bought an IG when I bought my own house in 2000.

If I could afford to do so, and if I had a big enough house, I'd have 10 Iggie's :wub:

Luca did have a canine companion, a Siberian Husky, for the first 4 years of his life. But due to circumstances beyond his control, he's now the only dog in the house. Hence, why I'm searching for a play mate for my playful Iggie :teehee:

Lucadion said:
posh totty said:
does your dogs breeder not breed anymore?
I've tried ringing and writing to her but with no answer to either :(

unwanted said:
it will be like finding rocky horse sh.. getting one off the italian lot in there little tight knit group good luck  :luck:
I'm finding that out but you have to agree that they're only trying to protect the breed. If you had an IG, you wouldn't give one to just anyone, would you?

TC said:

Me too. Although it did seem to be light hearted banter :D

I've seen much worse on other forums :rant:

janfiers said:
I'm fortunate, I've had Iggies 10 years, but been involved with my friend who has owned them for nearly 50 years.
If you are determined to find an Iggie, find one you will.  It will take time as most breeders are very careful as to who they let their puppies go to.  But as you already have an Iggie, you're half way there.  So keep on looking but be patient.  All good things come to those who wait.

I had 3 whippets, all bitches, when I was living with my parents, from 1972-1994.

I bought an IG when I bought my own house in 2000.

If I could afford to do so, and if I had a big enough house, I'd have 10 Iggie's :wub:

Luca did have a canine companion, a Siberian Husky, for the first 4 years of his life. But due to circumstances beyond his control, he's now the only dog in the house. Hence, why I'm searching for a play mate for my playful Iggie :teehee:

i truly wish you all the best in your search, they really do get under your skin dont they! mine are my pleasure and my pain but now i have them i wont ever want to be without one! please keep us updated with lots of pics of luca :wub:

posh totty said:
i truly wish you all the best in your search, they really do get under your skin dont they! mine are my pleasure and my pain but now i have them i wont ever want to be without one! please keep us updated with lots of pics of luca  :wub:
Thanks. They do get under your skin :lol: and get away with murder too :- "

I'll post some more pictures up too, when I get chance ;)

oh no mine never get away with murder coz they are always such little angels they would never do anything wrong!!! :- " o:) ok ok im fibbing!!! (w00t)

i will refrain from posting a pic of the very new orange bed i got for them at a show last week which now is in tatters! :oops:

now who was it who ran in as if the hells bells angels were after him???? er yes blue he was chasing the pet rabbit who is bigger then him and it turned on him! its a giant , blue isnt!!! (w00t)

tippy blues daughter and my youngest son , alfie

IM000275.jpg

trying to get my attention!

HPIM0064.jpg

little miss innocent!

IM000265.jpg

Blue posing

IM000155.jpg

granny sophie

sophieoldgal.jpg

Blue again watching the lure

blueattinas.jpg

Finally Cleo and Eddie

HPIM0130-1.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back