The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

No Limit

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ive got a 18lb bitch if she ever makes supreme run i wont run her cos shes to small,then again if whippet racing as members such as you tony wanting to change rules every ten minutes,she propb wont even make it to track,maybe i did say stunner was a greyhound,but least i wasnt frightened to race my dog against it.which is what this is all about,people scared to race against better n bigger dogs,even tho they are non ped

GRAHAM PEM said:
rodders said:
Really cant see the need for change.Heavyweights in handicap racing have to give one hell of alot of yards to lighter dogs in supreme run off.They proberbly haven't got a cat in hells chance of making up the yardage and more often than not withdraw because as Wild Whippets says 'It's pointless'.Doesn't stop them running and winning there class.So surely the same applies with 36lb,40lb and No Limit classes.Think that unless you've got an exceptionally good dog like Magical Dreams then every now and again there could be a different weight win the Supreme run off  :D   Karen
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ON MAGICAL DREAMS.

The dog speaks for itself Graham :thumbsup:

Really believe we ALL want the fastest dog.The only way to find out if you've got the fastest is to race the best :D Karen

Tony as you probably have your Whippett News spread all over the table trying to catch people out, look up a dog called Houdini which I bred out of Jo Slick and Boys Talk, made 41lb and had some great races against Stunner, always lead, sometimes got picked up and sometimes not nevertheless made great exciting racing!

So like I said when there is a good 36 or 40lb regularly beating the no limits, nobody minds. The other way round it must be a Greyhound.

GARY :cheers:

I agree Gary. istead of critising the judgement of choice of dog, we should be congratulating the owner/tainers on the hard work put into putting a winner on the track. After all there are a damn sight more so called "bigguns" dont make the grade than do, even with good breeding.

GRAHAM PEM said:
tony are you suggesting there are greyhounds running with the no limits at the present time.
That depends on how you define a ghd. If you mean both parent being NGRC or equivilant ghds then to the best of my knowledge no, but if you mean dogs whose genotype and phenotype is the same as NGRC registered dogs then yes there are and Magical Dreams is such a dog.

GRAHAM PEM said:
WHY SOULD ANY RULES BE CHANGED TO SUIT CERTAIN PEOPLE IN NON PED RACING.
The rules should suit the majority of those racing. The BWRA is a democratic organisation and the NNWRF, one hopes, is run to suit all it's members. and if the majority want to alter some rules for the benefit of whippet racing then that should happen.

GRAHAM PEM said:
BY THE WAY YOU DONT REALY WANT MY LITTLE BRUV TO BRING HIS GREYHOUNDS TO RACE WITH THE NO LIMITS DO YOU THAT WOULD BE FUN TO SEE THERE PRETTY GOOD YOU KNOW.
I have no objection to anyone running ghds in the no limit. Personaly I believe if ghds are allowed to run it makes the no limit a more prestigous race. There is no distinction between ghds and no limit dogs on the grounds of being non ped as ghds are not KC registered either. Non ped means no pedigree is required but doesn't exclude dogs for being KC or whatever . Many no limit dogs are not of whippet type and some are not of whippet breeding

Why would anyone with a no limit dog not want to run against ghds unless they were frightened of running against bigger abd better dogs.

Graham I have nothing against Magical Dreams and I have no objection to it racing in the no limit on bends or straights. I think any dog that can run ought to be allowed to and that definatly means Magical Dreams should race, but that works both ways for me in that ghds should be allowed int he no limit.

All I have suggested is increasing the size of the other scratch classes and others agree it's an idea worth considering or trying..

There will always be bigger dogs than a 44 or 48lb limit and there will still be run offs to supreme scratch so what exactly is your objection to changing the weight limits of other scratch classes?

Last edited by a moderator:
NEILPEM said:
ive got a 18lb bitch if she ever makes supreme run i wont run her cos shes to small,then  again if whippet racing as members such as you tony wanting to change rules every ten minutes,she propb wont even make it to track,maybe i did say stunner was a greyhound,but least i wasnt frightened to race my dog against it.which is what this is all about,people scared to race against better n bigger dogs,even tho they are non ped
Whether you run your 18lb bitch to supreme or not is irrelevant to what happens in scratch racing. Most owners of 18lb bitches don't have a problem with running off. Changing the rules for scratch racing also has no bearing on how it would have to race so I don't see how that would affect it's chances of getting to the track either.

Suggesting I want to change the rules every 10 mins is also incorrect. Changing the size of the weight groups for scratch racing is hardly a total revolution.

You may or may not have been frightened of running against stunner but you did make your feelings clear at the time.

As to being scared of running against bigger dogs I think those with a 33lb dog may be right in not wanting to run against a 60lb one. I doubt if anyone in the no limit is scared from that point of view though. As to running against better dogs I'm for ghds in the no limit so that not the case for me.

Whippet racing is a weight handicap sport where dogs of equal size are matched against each other and altering the scratch weight groups provides such matched competition.

To suggest that a bigger and faster dog is better just because it is bigger and faster isn't what whippet racing is about. To say a dog that came last in the no limit is better than the dog that won supreme in the handicap just because it's bigger and faster isn't the case in whippet racing

gary farmer said:
Tony as you probably have your Whippett News spread all over the table trying to catch people out, look up a dog called Houdini which I bred out of Jo Slick and Boys Talk, made 41lb and had some great races against Stunner, always lead, sometimes got picked up and sometimes not nevertheless made great exciting racing!
So like I said when there is a good 36 or 40lb regularly beating the no limits, nobody minds.  The other way round it must be a Greyhound.

GARY :cheers:

How am I trying to catch people out?

from my post before "There are of course top class 36lb and 40lb whippets that have been able to beat lesser able No Limit dogs as well as poorer quality ghds. However I can't ever recall a whippet that is able to beat an open class or high grade ghd"

Stunner was not an open class or high grade ghd

I'm not objecting to any dog of any breeding running in the no limit and I'm not in favour of a cap on the no limit

Tony Taylor said:
GRAHAM PEM said:
tony are you suggesting there are greyhounds running with the no limits at the present time.
That depends on how you define a ghd. If you mean both parent being NGRC or equivilant ghds then to the best of my knowledge no, but if you mean dogs whose genotype and phenotype is the same as NGRC registered dogs then yes there are and Magical Dreams is such a dog.

GRAHAM PEM said:
WHY SOULD ANY RULES BE CHANGED TO SUIT CERTAIN PEOPLE IN NON PED RACING.
The rules should suit the majority of those racing. The BWRA is a democratic organisation and the NNWRF, one hopes, is run to suit all it's members. and if the majority want to alter some rules for the benefit of whippet racing then that should happen.

GRAHAM PEM said:
BY THE WAY YOU DONT REALY WANT MY LITTLE BRUV TO BRING HIS GREYHOUNDS TO RACE WITH THE NO LIMITS DO YOU THAT WOULD BE FUN TO SEE THERE PRETTY GOOD YOU KNOW.
I have no objection to anyone running ghds in the no limit. Personaly I believe if ghds are allowed to run it makes the no limit a more prestigous race. There is no distinction between ghds and no limit dogs on the grounds of being non ped as ghds are not KC registered either. Non ped means no pedigree is required but doesn't exclude dogs for being KC or whatever . Many no limit dogs are not of whippet type and some are not of whippet breeding

Why would anyone with a no limit dog not want to run against ghds unless they were frightened of running against bigger abd better dogs.

Graham I have nothing against Magical Dreams and I have no objection to it racing in the no limit on bends or straights. I think any dog that can run ought to be allowed to and that definatly means Magical Dreams should race, but that works both ways for me in that ghds should be allowed int he no limit.

All I have suggested is increasing the size of the other scratch classes and others agree it's an idea worth considering or trying..

There will always be bigger dogs than a 44 or 48lb limit and there will still be run offs to supreme scratch so what exactly is your objection to changing the weight limits of other scratch classes?

I MIGHT BE WRONG TONY BUT ARE YOU SAYING MAGICAL DREAMS HIS A GREYHOUND IF SO IM NOT IMPRESSED AND IM SURE THE BREEDER OF THIS DOG WILL NOT BE HAPPY.

REGARDING RUNNING MY DOGS ON THE STRIGHTS THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

REGARDING RUNNING GREYHOUNDS WITH THE NO LIMITS YOUR TALKING OUT OF YOUR ARSE MATE WHY WOULD I OR ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DO THAT.

BY THE WAY SEE YOU AT EASSINGTON ON SATURDAY YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY GET YOUR WISH BUT DONT KNOW UNTIL I HAVE SEEN OUR NEIL.

NO PROBLEM WITH ANY ONE CHANGING THE SCRATCH CLASSES JUST SEEMS POINT LESS TO ME BUT WHAT I DO OBJECT TO IS CERTAIN REMARKS REGARDING WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO DOGS IF THEY GO OVER A CERTAIN WEIGHT DONT THEY KNOW THEY ARE OUR PETS ALSO IF YOU DONT GET WHAT IM SAYING I WILL GLADLY TELL YOU THE NEXT TIME I SEE YOU.

JUST ENJOY YOUR RACING AND CAN YOU REMEMBER THE OLD SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Why would anyone with a greyhound want to run with whippets?

it is very sad if thats the only way they think they might win!!!!

Surely there are plenty of greyhound races for them and things are quite different--

I don't think you would ever get Steve/Julie Bateson wanting to run with whippets --as they have moved on---

I can't understand why this subject rears its ugly head each year at this time ---

If i still had a no limit dog i would be inclined to follow the steps of John Meades

------ set my own Racing Body up ---

there are plenty of no limit dogs around and surely it is up to them who they want to run with if they dont want greyhound size dogs they should boycott /

if they are not bothered they should just get on and run --- cant see whythere is all this fuss ---

steve

well thankfully the 49lb limit hasnt been brought in this year but someone always proposes it every year! why? i have no idea but it has made for a very interesting debate which has even stayed on topic lol good luck to everyone with a no limit dog. :luck: :luck: :luck:

How can running a greyhound with a genuinely no limit whippet make it a more prestigious race?

surely that makes a mockery of what no limit whippet racing is all about?

i thought the 36/40 & no limt classes were made up to cater for whippets which were simply too heavy for yrd/llb racing....not greyhounds in disguise.

Well as far as I'm concerned until someone can answer my original question

where is the line drawn on what's discerened as a whippet and what quantifies as being a greyhound?
then this is always going to be an issue.

At least some folk were honest with their opinions and made suggestions to accomodate all and put their ideas directly to the forum.

Do you know what though? total waste of time trying to have a debate on here with folk getting personal, threatening and evasive. Maybe this is the reason others went straight to making proposals that would exclude certain folk from racing.

Tony if you think your onto something with regards to introducing one further race weight in the scratch category, take your proposal to a racing committee and if they think it's workable, I'm sure they'll send out postal votes asking us all to decide. If they don't think it's workable then we'll carry on how we are.

wild whippies said:
Do you know what though? total waste of time trying to have a debate on here with folk getting personal, threatening and evasive. Maybe this is the reason others went straight to making proposals that would exclude certain folk from racing.

:thumbsup: totally agree.

its gonna get to the point where no-ones gonna have a say on a forum, an agm or by approaching organisations because of the attitude of others :angry:

Why did no-one propose the new scratch weight classes when they had chance and they feel so strongly about it?

michelle said:
wild whippies said:

:thumbsup: totally agree.

its gonna get to the point where no-ones gonna have a say on a forum, an agm or by approaching organisations because of the attitude of others :angry:

Don't think people have been any of the things stated above.Folk just say things how they see them i'm sure no one intends to offend anybody.Going back to topic I haven't been whippet racing long,but from what i'm told and what I read on here scratch numbers are really growing.All these numbers can't just be because of the amount of whippets that have made too big for handicap racing.In my opinion the numbers are swelling because people want to take part in scratch racing.I know I do.This being the case then these people are not worrying about a Supreme run off or they wouldn't buy or breed a dog for scratch.I think the swell in numbers means scratch racing is being run the right way already :D Karen

Vicky said:
wild whippies said:
NEILPEM said:
ITS ABOUT PEOPLE BEING FRIGHTENED OF RUNNING AGAINST CERTAIN DOGS
My 38lber is a 1/4 grey there is no way he's ever going to win a supreme scratch against a 60+lb, 7/8 3/4 etc

You don't get away with it that easy for his lumpiness - he's only 1/8th! :lol:

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHICH SCRATCH DOGS WEIGH 60LB THAT ARE RACING AT THE MOMENT BECAUSE I DONT KNOW OF ANY.

GRAHAM PEM said:
Vicky said:
wild whippies said:
NEILPEM said:
My 38lber is a 1/4 grey there is no way he's ever going to win a supreme scratch against a 60+lb, 7/8 3/4 etc

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHICH SCRATCH DOGS WEIGH 60LB THAT ARE RACING AT THE MOMENT BECAUSE I DONT KNOW OF ANY.

Not at the minute Graham,but i've got one coming up :oops: hence my interest in capping,and before anyone starts talking 7/8ths greyhound he's out of Hellbound/Greyhound.I would have preferred he stay small enough for straights aswell as bends but that didn't happen so hopefully bends here I come :D Karen

rodders said:
GRAHAM PEM said:
Vicky said:
wild whippies said:
NEILPEM said:

Not at the minute Graham,but i've got one coming up :oops: hence my interest in capping,and before anyone starts talking 7/8ths greyhound he's out of Hellbound/Greyhound.I would have preferred he stay small enough for straights aswell as bends but that didn't happen so hopefully bends here I come :D Karen

ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR WITH YOUR DOG HES A STUNNER

GRAHAM PEM said:
Nope I can't, I wanted to put 50+lb but was advised not to because some folk may get the hump about it. By me changing my statement to 60+lb the hope was I would not make an individual feel singled out.

Karen whatever your dogs breeding and whatever their end weight I wish you the best of luck for the future with good, competitive and safe races, as I do all racers. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back