The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

No Limit

I THINK THAT CAPPING THE NO LIMIT WOULD BE VERY BAD FOR THE SPORT. NONE PED RACING NEEDS ALL THE DOGS,..AND MEMBERS IT CAN GET. BUT I THINK THAT THE 36,.. AND 40LB,.. SCRATCH WEIGHT GROUPS, COULD BE INCREASED A LITTLE,. AS AN ALTERNATIVE.. I ALSO FEEL THAT THE FINAL OUTCOME, SHOULD BE DECIDED BY SCRATCH DOG OWNERS ONLY,..

ITS ABOUT PEOPLE BEING FRIGHTENED OF RUNNING AGAINST CERTAIN DOGS

The proposals will go to a postal vote now anyway though won't they? It isn't like it's been brought into place.

NEILPEM said:

and me :D but its like its been said it wasnt brought in anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
NEILPEM said:
You may describe it as being frightened, I think realistic is a better comment. My 38lber is a 1/4 grey there is no way he's ever going to win a supreme scratch against a 60+lb, 7/8 3/4 etc greyhound on the bends in my opinion. So I (like others) would probably withdraw from a supreme run off. These people who do this aren't frightened there just well aware it's pointless. Look at the entries for No Limit dogs on the straight compared to the bends, hell look at the closeness of the races in supreme straight races.

Come on Neil you've bred good dogs running on the bends but surely you'd like to see competition in the supreme run off? Can't you see that by embracing these weight splits you've got more chance of your dogs winning on the straights with likewise dogs and you'll have some competition for supreme titles on the bends. Not only that but you could bring your greys and they'd be welcomed too. Wouldn't this give you a desire to come back to racing?

well i don't think there should be a capping on no limit as lo limit is dogs over 40 1/4 pounds

and with that greyhound thing its called [SIZE=14pt]whippet[/SIZE] racing not greyhound's those who want to race greyhounds can go to greyhound tracks and race there not at whippet tracks.

that my opinion kate :huggles: :thumbsup:

MY LAST POST ON THIS CRAP,CARRY ON AS NORMAL,OR PEOPLE WILL BE LEAVING WHIPS NOT JOINING THEM,THERE IS AND HAS BEEN 36 40LB DOGS ON BENDS THAT CAN BEAT THE NO LIMITERS,SO SPLTTING WEIGHT GROUPS DEFF WONT GIVE ME THE DESIRE TO RETURN TO WHIPPET RACING,MORE THE OPPOSITE,AND I HAVE NO INTENSIONS OF RUNNING MY GREYHOUNDS WITH THE NON PEDS.STOP THE CRAP AND GET BACK TO RACING DOGS

Really cant see the need for change.Heavyweights in handicap racing have to give one hell of alot of yards to lighter dogs in supreme run off.They proberbly haven't got a cat in hells chance of making up the yardage and more often than not withdraw because as Wild Whippets says 'It's pointless'.Doesn't stop them running and winning there class.So surely the same applies with 36lb,40lb and No Limit classes.Think that unless you've got an exceptionally good dog like Magical Dreams then every now and again there could be a different weight win the Supreme run off :D Karen

NEILPEM said:
MY LAST POST ON THIS CRAP,CARRY ON AS NORMAL,OR PEOPLE WILL BE LEAVING WHIPS NOT JOINING THEM,THERE IS AND HAS BEEN 36 40LB DOGS ON BENDS THAT CAN BEAT THE NO LIMITERS,SO SPLTTING WEIGHT GROUPS DEFF WONT GIVE ME THE DESIRE TO RETURN TO WHIPPET RACING,MORE THE OPPOSITE,AND I HAVE NO INTENSIONS OF RUNNING MY GREYHOUNDS WITH THE NON PEDS.STOP THE CRAP AND GET BACK TO RACING DOGS
however

marsden_john said:
but why not for some bend races up the 40 pound to 44 pound giving some of the smaller No Limit dogs more of a chance in a different weight division
wild whippies said:
What about 40lb,45lb and then a No Limit?
Tony Taylor said:
I don't believe in capping the no limit. However, as others have suggested, we could increase the weight splits for scratch racing on the bends fron 4lb with the BWRA and 5lb with the NNWRF to 6lb splits giving 38lb scratch, 44lb scratch and No Limit in the BWRA or say 40lb, 48lb and No Limit in the NNWRF. Fat chance of it happening though because of the " that's how it's always been done" attitude.
sherry said:
sounds quite a good idea in theory tony a 38lb class then a 44lb class then over 44lb
jasper. said:
I BUT I THINK THAT THE 36,.. AND 40LB,.. SCRATCH WEIGHT GROUPS, COULD BE INCREASED A LITTLE,. AS AN ALTERNATIVE..
sharon whincop said:
I hear a lot of people who have a dog just over the 40lb mark who have to race no limit and they say they don't like racing with something 50-60lb.Simple have 36, 40, 50 and no limit. Easyer to make a new weight group than tell people what size there dogs should be.

Seems like there are plenty of people racing scratch dogs at the moment who feel increasing the size of the weight groups is a worthwhile idea. and yet the only person so far against the idea no longer races whippets but does race ghds and is involved in breeding ghd crosses.

There are of course top class 36lb and 40lb whippets that have been able to beat lesser able No Limit dogs as well as poorer quality ghds. However I can't ever recall a whippet that is able to beat an open class or high grade ghd

At some point repeated crossing back to open/high grade ghds produces a dog that is genetical identical to a ghd and a ghd is superior to a whippet for bend racing.

Last edited by a moderator:
rodders said:
Really cant see the need for change.Heavyweights in handicap racing have to give one hell of alot of yards to lighter dogs in supreme run off.They proberbly haven't got a cat in hells chance of making up the yardage and more often than not withdraw because as Wild Whippets says 'It's pointless'.Doesn't stop them running and winning there class.So surely the same applies with 36lb,40lb and No Limit classes.

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

Yard per pound handicap on the straights is unfair at the distances run. It gives far too much advantage to the light weights and in doing so makes the handicap racing pointless so everyone just runs off "scratch" in small weight splits and then half the dogs withdraw for supreme.

Tony Taylor said:
NEILPEM said:
however

marsden_john said:
but why not for some bend races up the 40 pound to 44 pound giving some of the smaller No Limit dogs more of a chance in a different weight division
wild whippies said:
What about 40lb,45lb and then a No Limit?
Tony Taylor said:
I don't believe in capping the no limit. However, as others have suggested, we could increase the weight splits for scratch racing on the bends fron 4lb with the BWRA and 5lb with the NNWRF to 6lb splits giving 38lb scratch, 44lb scratch and No Limit in the BWRA or say 40lb, 48lb and No Limit in the NNWRF. Fat chance of it happening though because of the " that's how it's always been done" attitude.
sherry said:
sounds quite a good idea in theory tony a 38lb class then a 44lb class then over 44lb
jasper. said:
I BUT I THINK THAT THE 36,.. AND 40LB,.. SCRATCH WEIGHT GROUPS, COULD BE INCREASED A LITTLE,. AS AN ALTERNATIVE..
sharon whincop said:
I hear a lot of people who have a dog just over the 40lb mark who have to race no limit and they say they don't like racing with something 50-60lb.Simple have 36, 40, 50 and no limit. Easyer to make a new weight group than tell people what size there dogs should be.

Seems like there are plenty of people racing scratch dogs at the moment who feel increasing the size of the weight groups is a worthwhile idea. and yet the only person so far against the idea no longer races whippets but does race ghds and is involved in breeding ghd crosses.*****, I CANT REMEMBER WITH DRAWING WONDERWALL AGAINST STUNNER,NO MUCH SIZE DFFERENCE WAS THERE

There are of course top class 36lb and 40lb whippets that have been able to beat lesser able No Limit dogs as well as poorer quality ghds. However I can't ever recall a whippet that is able to beat an open class or high grade ghd

At some point repeated crossing back to open/high grade ghds produces a dog that is genetical identical to a ghd and a ghd is superior to a whippet for bend racing.

not turning into yd perlb debate now? :- " .i think if you make racing to siut the big dogs you will loose the proper racing whippet blood and you dont change rules to make bigger dogs win just because little ones are faster now. :D scratch is scratch as always been .

NEILPEM said:
I CANT REMEMBER WITH DRAWING WONDERWALL AGAINST STUNNER,NO MUCH SIZE DFFERENCE WAS THERE
[

I can't rember whether you did or not withdraw but you did say it was a ghd and you weren't happy about it at the time.

You were in a posistion of either racing against it or not racing your dog. Maybe you choose to run against it, others in the same situation of having to race ghds choose not to bother turning up.

ahorsnall said:
not turning into yd perlb debate now? :- " .i think if you make racing to siut the big dogs you will loose the proper racing whippet blood and you dont change rules to make bigger dogs win just because little ones are faster now. :D scratch is scratch as always been .
No one is suggesting making racing suit any size of dog but of making racing fair for everyone and making races a competition rather than a fore gone conclusion.

It's a mistake to consider the smaller dogs proper racing blood; Scratch dogs were around from the begining of whippet racing and the smaller dogs have always been bred down from them in the same way we use ghds today.

If you check back whippet races were typicaly over longer distances than they are today. Yd per lb was the bench mark for 200yrd races

Doing things "as they've always been" stops whippet racing moving forward and attracting new members. All the dogs are faster,there is a wider spread of ability at opens, tracks are shorter and ghds now race instead of course hares and we race on bend tracks. It doesn't take long for newcomers to realise dogs are winning races because the rules favour them rather than any inherent quality of the dog has and any credibility the sport has is diminished.

If rule changes give more dogs of equal ability a chance to win I believe more people will enter races. Few people continue to run in races were the result is a certainty.

Tony Taylor said:
NEILPEM said:
IL RACE AGAINST GREYHOUNDS TONY,IL EVEN BRING AFEW ALONG TO RACE TOO IF IT WOULD SUIT YOU,LEAVE THE WEIGHT LIMITS ALONE,YOU'L WANT 15,16,17 18 19 20 21 22 23AND SO ON WEIGHT CLASSES SOON SO ALL DOGS WILL BE HAVING SOLO'S
Well if you and other scratch racers are happy to race against ghds in the no limit then perhaps the governing bodies should take note of your wishes and allow ghds to race in the no limit. I' would be more than happy for you to bring ghds to race in the no limit so long as the option is open to everyone.

I was suggesting increasing the size of the weight groups and not making them smaller as in your example. If the weight classes were increased in size there would be no increase in the number of classes so, since there should be the same number of dogs on the card, there will be no more solo races than before. If anything more dogs will run because the new classes mean fewer dogs will have to run against ghd types so the owners will race them rather than not bother because they believe the competition to be fair.

tony are you suggesting there are greyhounds running with the no limits at the present time.

IM ALL FOR BETTERING OUR SPORT BUT WITH COMMENTS AND SURGESTION MADE ON HERE GOD HELP US LEAVE THE NO LIMITERS ALONE AND GET ON WITH THE RACING.

LET US ENJOY WHAT WE DO AND STOP ALL THIS BULL ---- ONCE AND FOR ALL.

WHY SOULD ANY RULES BE CHANGED TO SUIT CERTAIN PEOPLE IN NON PED RACING.

BY THE WAY YOU DONT REALY WANT MY LITTLE BRUV TO BRING HIS GREYHOUNDS TO RACE WITH THE NO LIMITS DO YOU THAT WOULD BE FUN TO SEE THERE PRETTY GOOD YOU KNOW.

IN MY OPINION THE SPORT IS MOVING FORWARD SO LETS ALL START PULLING

THE RIGHT WAY BEFORE ITS TO LATE.

CHEERS GRAHAM PENDLETON

rodders said:
Really cant see the need for change.Heavyweights in handicap racing have to give one hell of alot of yards to lighter dogs in supreme run off.They proberbly haven't got a cat in hells chance of making up the yardage and more often than not withdraw because as Wild Whippets says 'It's pointless'.Doesn't stop them running and winning there class.So surely the same applies with 36lb,40lb and No Limit classes.Think that unless you've got an exceptionally good dog like Magical Dreams then every now and again there could be a different weight win the Supreme run off  :D   Karen
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ON MAGICAL DREAMS.

Tony Taylor said:
ahorsnall said:
No one is suggesting making racing suit any size of dog but of making racing fair for everyone and making races a competition rather than a fore gone conclusion.

It's a mistake to consider the smaller dogs proper racing blood; Scratch dogs were around from the begining of whippet racing and the smaller dogs have always been bred down from them in the same way we use ghds today.

If you check back whippet races were typicaly over longer distances than they are today. Yd per lb was the bench mark for 200yrd races

Doing things "as they've always been" stops whippet racing moving forward and attracting new members. All the dogs are faster,there is a wider spread of ability

at opens, tracks are shorter and ghds now race instead of course hares and we race on bend tracks. It doesn't take long for newcomers to realise dogs are winning races because the rules favour them rather than any inherent quality of the dog has and any credibility the sport has is diminished.

If rule changes give more dogs of equal ability a chance to win I believe more people will enter races. Few people continue to run in races were the result is a certainty.

TONY IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY JUST SAY IT INSTEAD OF ALL THIS RUBBISH.

NO LIMIT MEANS NO LIMIT ITS QUITE SIMPLE I THINK

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back