The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The sight of those Cavaliers was awful. They said that up to a third of this breed are affected - so why do the Kennel Club allow it to go on? The same reason they have the "not worth the paper it's written on" Accredited Breeder Scheme - it's a good money earner :angry:

Please think before you post guys and girls, I've found a comment on here that has made me laugh so hard I'm glad I'm young and healthy (otherwise I'd be sat in a patch of my own pee :- " )

I'm not going to quote the comment as I don't want to embaress it's writer, just think first please :thumbsup:

bertha said:
What would be the point of judges not judging their own breed?
After all, this "Breed Standard" is there in black & white - surely any idiot can read it and pick out what they see fit, the judge of the Bassett Hound sounded like she knew nothing about the breed or it's origins when questioned after pulling out ANOTHER judge's dogs. Doesn't HAVE to be someone with 40 years experience in the breed if the likes of her are the best they can get.

the state of the GSD'S they should hang their heads in shame, the dog that won best in show was a mess i would be ashamed to walk it down the street never mind a show ring

Fleesh said:
Please think before you post guys and girls, I've found a comment on here that has made me laugh so hard I'm glad I'm young and healthy (otherwise I'd be sat in a patch of my own pee  :- " )
I'm not going to quote the comment as I don't want to embaress it's writer, just think first please  :thumbsup:

Well, now I'll have to go back and look for it :teehee:

Unfortunately, no surprises in this programme :( Other than the exposure of the myriad of breeders who are in denial about what they are doing :angry:

When watching the GSD that won Best of Breed at Crufts this year, I remember saying to OH how deformed he looked and said that I was under the impression that the Breed Standard for GSD didn't cultivate this crippling, sloping rear end that is apparent in the show ring. Obviously I was wrong :oops:

My GSDs have always had solid square frames with no slope to their back (even the white one!!). They are from working lines and are all strong and healthy with no hip problems :)

How, by any stretch of the imagination, could these poor "breed standard" GSDs do what they were bred to do - work stock (w00t) It is criminal the way that breeders are allowed to mutilate a species in the name of cosmetic fashion :rant: :rant:

masta said:
the state of the GSD'S they should hang their heads in shame, the dog that won best in show was a mess i would be ashamed to walk it down the street never mind a show ring
Been going down this road for a long while has this breed, dragging their arses on the floor, disgusting and cruel, deeply disturbed by this prog

bertha said:
Where in earth do you think your lurchers came from? Pedigree crosses. You make the crosses so don't slam all pedigree dogs!
I had no idea that on the day he created all animals God created each type of pedigree dog also :- "

ok so OH told me sky has bbc1 london and that on it, so i have just finished watching it.

to say im shocked is and understatement,

i did always wonder why the breed standered differed from the actual working dogs,

the gsd walking was awfull, and i cannot believe they would kill healthy ridgeback pups, if you really didnt want them, dont register them and sell them as pets dont kill them :rant:

its a real big worry to think that the breeders them selfs dont give a toss, :rant: :rant:

TIGGERGOULD said:
i have owned various breeds of dog since i was a child....two of them were kc registered....and both suffered with all sorts of ailments....all the others have been non kc registered and [touch wood]...none of them have suffered with any problems!!sooo

i will definately never own a kc registered dog again...especially after watching the pompus twats on the programme, try and lightly dismiss their actions....WRONG!!!!

i am deeply distressed and upset after watching this!!!

I have 2 pedigree Whippets, 2 Italian Greyhounds and a Lurcher.

Apart from accidents requiring veterinary attention, the only one to have had a health problem is my lurcher, who has been to the vets several times with both skin and anal gland problems :oops: My first dog, a crossbreed (Tib Terrier x Cairn) also suffered all her life with skin problems which were controlled by medication :(

I applaud this programme for highlighting health problems in many breeds, including the freakish Bulldogs which have been mutated beyond recognition, and was shocked and disgusted that the breeders and KC are not doing enough to improve dogs' health.

However, I think it did make it seem as if the VAST MAJORITY of pedigree dogs are sick or deformed, which is most certainly not the case.

I am glad, however, to own dogs of a 'normal' shape, without any exaggerations! :- "

Liz and the Monellis

Awww wish I had known about Sky bbc1 Scotland :angry:

alfie said:
I applaud this programme for highlighting health problems in many breeds, including the freakish Bulldogs which have been mutated beyond recognition, and was shocked and disgusted that the breeders and KC are not doing enough to improve dogs' health. However, I think it did make it seem as if the VAST MAJORITY of pedigree dogs are sick or deformed, which is most certainly not the case.

I am glad, however, to own dogs of a 'normal' shape, without any exaggerations! :- "

Liz and the Monellis

I'm with you on this, I've got pedigree dogs and I'm perfectly happy with them :thumbsup:

The programme did show the extremes in some breeds - I was passing the bulldog area in 2007 and saw one sprawled out, dying on the floor, having buckets of water chucked over it with people frantically trying to revive the poor animal - he didn't make it and it was heart-breaking to see his owners sobbing hysterically, the thought of it still chills me to the bone. :(

I thought that some of the programme was over simplified - they mentioned the breeders accredited scheme, but didn't say that it meant nothing in real life! And there are plenty of breeders who quietly get on with doing the right thing by their dogs.

I also thought that and some of it was sensationalised - not all peds are deformed freaks! And not all showers are ruthless campaigners :b

But it did give a wonderful stage to those breeders who are prepared to churn out puppies from dogs that they know to be carrying horrific defects, who support culling healthy puppies and who will do whatever is necessary to get their own names written down in dog history - well, I hope they get what they are due now! :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this a very interesting and at times heart breaking programme to watch. The sheer fact that some breeders can be so bloody irresponsbile is just disgusting.

I think the problem lies in that some, and I stress the word some, breeders are more concerned with producing the next best thing, with little regard for health, temperament and the long term future and health of the breed. :( That CKCS being used at stud a further 24 times after it being discovered he had that awful illness, well what can I say :blink:

rls22 said:
I found this a very interesting and at times heart breaking programme to watch.  The sheer fact that some breeders can be so bloody irresponsbile is just disgusting.  I think the problem lies in that some, and I stress the word some, breeders are more concerned with producing the next best thing, with little regard for health, temperament and the long term future and health of the breed.  :( That CKCS being used at stud a further 24 times after it being discovered he had that awful illness, well what can I say  :blink:

Money talks and nothing more I'm afraid :(

kirsty said:
Awww wish I had known about Sky bbc1 Scotland :angry:

It's on on Friday at 9pm on BBC Scotland :thumbsup:

I watched it tonight through north east bbc1 :cheers: on sky.

Bloody heart breaking watching the wee cavi screaming in pain. Also the gsd,,god his hind legs were wobbly, could not take his weight :angry: :angry:

Glad to have non peds, and only owned one kg reg dog,,a gsd bitch, who was off working stock :cheers: No health problems with her :D

Long live the mutt,,,my first dog was a collie x, he lived till 19 1/2 yrs and John had to take him to be PTS as his legs gave out at the end.

Hope the kennel club ,make changes asap,,,even John found it hard to watch :(

Fleesh said:
rls22 said:
I found this a very interesting and at times heart breaking programme to watch.  The sheer fact that some breeders can be so bloody irresponsbile is just disgusting.  I think the problem lies in that some, and I stress the word some, breeders are more concerned with producing the next best thing, with little regard for health, temperament and the long term future and health of the breed.   :( That CKCS being used at stud a further 24 times after it being discovered he had that awful illness, well what can I say  :blink:

I think it's more complicated than money - I think its also ego, kennel-blindness, warped glory hunting at any cost and a pathetic sense of power :(

doris said:
Fleesh said:
rls22 said:
I found this a very interesting and at times heart breaking programme to watch.  The sheer fact that some breeders can be so bloody irresponsbile is just disgusting.  I think the problem lies in that some, and I stress the word some, breeders are more concerned with producing the next best thing, with little regard for health, temperament and the long term future and health of the breed.   :( That CKCS being used at stud a further 24 times after it being discovered he had that awful illness, well what can I say  :blink:

I think it's more complicated than money - I think its also ego, kennel-blindness, warped glory hunting at any cost and a pathetic sense of power :(

Well if you put it that way ... :thumbsup:

THE MOST DISTURBING INFORMATION FOR ME WAS THE FACT THAT ONLY10% YES JUST 10% OF THE GENES PRESENT IN PEDIGREE DOGS 40 YEARS AGO ARE STILL IN EXISTANCE TODAY, THESE LOST GENES CAN NEVER BE RECOVERED, EVER.

THIS IS WHY WE CANNOT CONTINUE TO INBREED IN THE SAME WAY, THESE LOST GENES MAY WELL BE THE ONES THAT PROTECT THE SPECIES FROM CERTAIN DISEASES ,THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS NOT ABLE TO FUNCTION AS EFFICIENTLY WITHOUT THEM. IT WILL EVENTUALLY BE IRREVERSABLE

THE KC SHOULD PUT IN PLACE TIGHTER CONTROLS ON TESTING AND INBREEDING, THEIR EXCUSE THAT BREEDERS WOULD CARRY ON BREEDING WITHOUT REGISTRATION IS LUDICROUS. ANY BREEDER RELIES ON PET HOMES FOR THEIR PUPPIES AND WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GIVEN THE CHOICE WOULD BUY A PET FROM UNTESTED STOCK WHEN THEY COULD BUY A KC REG PET WITH ALL THE REQUIRED TESTS IN PLACE, A LOW IN BREEDING COEFFICIENT,ETC

THE BREEDERS WOULD BE FLOCKING TO TEST AND REGISTER

IT WAS SO SAD THE GENUINE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET THIS INFORMATION OUT THERE FOR THE GOOD OF THE BREED AND PET OWNERS WERE LABELLED AS TROUBLEMAKERS INSTEAD OF BEING APPLAUDED FOR THEIR EFFORTS

k4tie-d said:
ok so OH told me sky has bbc1 london and that on it, so i have just finished watching it. to say im shocked is and understatement,

i did always wonder why the breed standered differed from the actual working dogs,

the gsd walking was awfull, and i cannot believe they would kill healthy ridgeback pups, if you really didnt want them, dont register them and sell them as pets dont kill them :rant:

its a real big worry to think that the breeders them selfs dont give a toss,  :rant:   :rant:

i couldnt believe it when i saw this about ridgebacks i owned one in the 80's when they were unknown here such a gentle giant she was but died at 6 from a enlarged heart :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back