The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please someone give me advice!

The vets said to try fish flavor as we've tired 2 with chicken

You would be surprised at how many dogs have an intolerance to chicken. Fish is gentle on the tummy, but triple check the ingredients in case there is ”hidden” chicken.

Out of curiousity does anyone have a suluki? Would love to know how much yours weighed at 3 months. She's 14 weeks and currently 5.9kg last time she was weighed at the vets she was 5kg so gaining but I think she's still under weight.

I don't have one, but I know that it can be a struggle to keep weight on them. On the other hand, they can be 100% fit and healthy and still be very thin - have a look at this adult, and note the visible ribs & backbone: http://dogbreedsinfo.org/images/Saluki.jpg So as long as she's gaining, and the vet is happy, I wouldn't worry.

You would be surprised at how many dogs have an intolerance to chicken. Fish is gentle on the tummy, but triple check the ingredients in case there is ”hidden” chicken.
We've checked ingredients in the new food fingers crossed this is the one! Going to wait a few days for her tummy to calm.

Thanks x

I don't have one, but I know that it can be a struggle to keep weight on them. On the other hand, they can be 100% fit and healthy and still be very thin - have a look at this adult, and note the visible ribs & backbone: http://dogbreedsinfo.org/images/Saluki.jpg So as long as she's gaining, and the vet is happy, I wouldn't worry.
Thank you. So far the vet seems happy but it is a worry! Our dogs we've had previously have been easy with food and bowl movements so this is all new to me! Thanks

Thank you. So far the vet seems happy but it is a worry! Our dogs we've had previously have been easy with food and bowl movements so this is all new to me! Thanks
Just looked at the picture, your right there is a lot of bone visable! I read somewhere the end 3 rib bones on show are normal maybe I was wrong. Anyway thank you

Out of curiousity does anyone have a suluki? Would love to know how much yours weighed at 3 months. She's 14 weeks and currently 5.9kg last time she was weighed at the vets she was 5kg so gaining but I think she's still under weight.
My auntie has a smooth coated saluki ....he came over from ireland with parvo virus as a rescue...we fostered him from the age of 9 weeks (didn't know if he would survive) he is now 10 yrs old ...he was a fussy eater and cannot tolerate chicken ...he is raw fed ...we did think about keeping him ourselves but my auntie was looking for a dog and the rest is history...if she is gaining weight then she must be ok ,,,

And I will also look into the nuggets, thanks for that. As for the vets testing they don't seem overly concerned as she's active and happy. I did ask but they said see how she gets on with grain free fish flavour.

And never used porridge, is this reccomend? I would like to get some weight on her if anyone can help in the mean time. Can I give her pro biotics daily when pro kolin has finished?

Thanks
Hi, I only give a short course of pro-biotic (yogurt ) for a few days, just to kick start the system. Don't know what others do of course :) Do hope you get sorted :)

Hi, I only give a short course of pro-biotic (yogurt ) for a few days, just to kick start the system. Don't know what others do of course :) Do hope you get sorted :)
She's on her second tube of pro kolin. I am getting worried will be speaking to the vet again Monday.

Thank you x

My auntie has a smooth coated saluki ....he came over from ireland with parvo virus as a rescue...we fostered him from the age of 9 weeks (didn't know if he would survive) he is now 10 yrs old ...he was a fussy eater and cannot tolerate chicken ...he is raw fed ...we did think about keeping him ourselves but my auntie was looking for a dog and the rest is history...if she is gaining weight then she must be ok ,,,
Thank you. She is gaining but seems to be doing it slow but I guess it's better than loosing x

Collage 2020-09-19 08_33_37.jpg

If you’re visiting your vet I’d advise once again that you take a sample. Keep an eye on the online price of Pro-Kolin. We got it much cheaper than via our vet. We also keep Oralade in the standby cupboard. Please note - I’m NOT a vet but we’re au fait (hopefully) with Mabel’s gastric humours. Really hope it goes well for you.

If you’re visiting your vet I’d advise once again that you take a sample. Keep an eye on the online price of Pro-Kolin. We got it much cheaper than via our vet. We also keep Oralade in the standby cupboard. Please note - I’m NOT a vet but we’re au fait (hopefully) with Mabel’s gastric humours. Really hope it goes well for you.
I'm going to take on next time where there. What would they test it for exactly? I've been getting it on Amazon which has been cheaper.

Thanks

I'm going to take on next time where there. What would they test it for exactly? I've been getting it on Amazon which has been cheaper.

Thanks
Hemlock suggested giarda which would seem a reasonable start.

Would she have more symptoms than just a bad tummy? X
I’ve no idea. You could google giarda but please don’t let your imagination run away with you - It way be just a mild puppy tummy upset.

I don't know about giarda, but my dog had coccidiosis (sp?) which had no symptoms but a slightly runny bum. If your dog firms up on chicken and rice then I guess it's more likely to be diet related - but I might be asking the vet to do a test anyway, just to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest. The only harm it can do is financial.

I don't know about giarda, but my dog had coccidiosis (sp?) which had no symptoms but a slightly runny bum. If your dog firms up on chicken and rice then I guess it's more likely to be diet related - but I might be asking the vet to do a test anyway, just to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest. The only harm it can do is financial.
I've rang the vets unfortunately the receptionist was no help so will get back to me. We have 4 weeks insurance till vacs are done but don't mind paying just want all this sorted! X

Does she look healthy to yous?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-19-16-05-44-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-19-16-05-44-56.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 143

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back