The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Blues And Blacks Again

Seraphina said:
The solid blue is in fact diluted black.  Genetically the blue is  KK (black) but with the diluted dd gene, mated to fawn with black mask which is DD and kk (fawn), each pup will get one gene of each pair from mum and other from daddy to form a new pair.  So they would all be Dd (full pigmented, carrying dilute) and Kk (black carrying fawn).  What she means is that solid blue mated to full pigmented brindles will also throw solid blacks.
Black in most animals is an epistatic gene, which means is covers up any other colours that may be present, fawn, brindle, dark masks etc:

Gene interactions > Epistatic genes

Some genes mask the expression of other genes just as a fully dominant allele masks the expression of its recessive counterpart. The gene that masks the phenotypic effect of another gene is called the epistatic gene; the gene it subordinates is the hypostatic gene.

Brittanica: mendelian genetics; Epistasis

Where black (or diluted black, which we refer to as blue) is present it will always cover up brindle and fawn as these as it is EPISTATIC and fawn and brindle HYPOSTATIC.

Where I agree there is some confusion is that the process that controls brindling is not fully understood (see the previous links I posted on pigment switching); it's not clear which colour is being switched off, which may account for the occasional very, very dark black brindle which appears black as in the examples posted previously. There is currently a study underway at Stanford University looking specifically at brindling and the pigment switching process that underlies it:

"Our Current Project: to find the gene responsible for brindle, black, and fawn

We are trying to understand coat color variation in breeds where the difference between brindle, black, or fawn is controlled by a single gene. Our approach is first to determine the approximate position in the dog genome where the gene lies by analyzing families, and then narrow down the exact position by examining DNA from individual dogs for sequence variants that correlate with fawn, brindled, or black.

Stanford Brindling study...

On the subject of nice blacks do you have any photos of the youthful Frankie Caroline ? ;)

moriarte said:
On the subject of nice blacks do you have any photos of the youthful Frankie Caroline ?  ;)
Hmmm ....... now that's a task! He was a boy in the days before digital cameras so I will have to look through my pics of him and maybe scan some. He was another one of these that hated having a camera pointed at him so he normally looks very mournful, although he isn't by nature, or does a fair impression of a Dromedary!!! Unlike some other brats (or is that babes! LOL!) we could mention that I have hundreds of pics of!!!

Thanks, I'll keep a space for it in the (new) family album ;) Gelert's breeder has an elderly Wyemere around Frankie's age; I'll ask her next time what his name is.

Somewhere on here are a couple of pics of Lyd's Guy Elizabeth. Otherwise known as Sunne In Splendour of Darkstars.

Frankie is so handsome. :wub:

BeeJay said:
Somewhere on here are a couple of pics of Lyd's Guy Elizabeth.  Otherwise known as Sunne In Splendour of Darkstars.
Frankie is so handsome.  :wub:

I thought Sunne in splendour was a black that at least should have got a CC and yes Frankie is very handsome.

BeeJay said:
Somewhere on here are a couple of pics of Lyd's Guy Elizabeth.  Otherwise known as Sunne In Splendour of Darkstars.
Frankie is so handsome.  :wub:

I'll have a go a tracking them down. It's a small world isn't it :lol: I think Jasbri has one by Harvest Fayre too? :unsure:

Karen said:
BeeJay said:
Frankie is so handsome.   :wub:

I thought Sunne in splendour was a black that at least should have got a CC and yes Frankie is very handsome.

Thanks for saying that Karen. Guy is the most beautiful dog. He is why I have whippets. Lyd's not got internet access anymore and she's given up showing I'll pass on your comments to her. :thumbsup:

moriarte said:
BeeJay said:
Frankie is so handsome.   :wub:

I'll have a go a tracking them down. It's a small world isn't it :lol: I think Jasbri has one by Harvest Fayre too? :unsure:

I'm sure that I've seen a photo of Harvest Fayre recently. There are some in the biennial and I'm sure that Bridget will have some. :thumbsup:

Strangely, and I can say this as they are both my dogs :)) , but I think Guy looks more like Dante than Frankie, perhaps it is the Dessie whippet influence coming out cos Guy's mummy, Delphi, reminds me sooooooooooooooooo much of DW now. Now you are going to ask for a pic of Dante in his hey day ........... Millie HELP!!!!

dessie said:
Strangely, and I can say this as they are both my dogs  :)) , but I think Guy looks more like Dante than Frankie, perhaps it is the Dessie whippet influence coming out cos Guy's mummy, Delphi, reminds me sooooooooooooooooo much of DW now.  Now you are going to ask for a pic of Dante in his hey day ........... Millie HELP!!!!
I'm confused now :wacko: which one is Bean's grandsire? :unsure:

moriarte said:
dessie said:
Strangely, and I can say this as they are both my dogs  :)) , but I think Guy looks more like Dante than Frankie, perhaps it is the Dessie whippet influence coming out cos Guy's mummy, Delphi, reminds me sooooooooooooooooo much of DW now.  Now you are going to ask for a pic of Dante in his hey day ........... Millie HELP!!!!
I'm confused now :wacko: which one is Bean's grandsire? :unsure:

Think I'm right in saying Frankie is Beans grandsire :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back