The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Moss!!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Here they are on the sofa this morning,Bracken is very protective of Moss and has been quite upset by his wounds but she is looking after him well :huggles:

Only just caught up with this as I didn't go on my pc on Sunday. Poor Moss :huggles: :wub: and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

OMG, poor Moss! :( Speedy recovery! :luck: And what a :rant: that Dobe's owner!

I thought such things happen only here... Once my Pollie was terribly injured by Mastino bitch and while I tried to check if her spine isn't braken, Mastino's owner took her dog and ran away! And of course didn't pay the bill for vet! Thanks to God, that stupid Mastino hadn't half of the teeth and could only make bruises, but anyway my Pollie was about a month in awful bruises and what the most awful - Mastino walked off the lead and without a muzzle after that again! Though my Pollie wasn't the only victim of her. :rant: And no one can make that stupid owners to walk with dog on lead at least!

05whippet said:
Here they are on the sofa this morning,Bracken is very protective of Moss and has been quite upset by his wounds but she is looking after him well  :huggles:
hi new to all this but looking the pics it looks bad hope moss gets well soon will this mean she will hav to stop showing now becouse of what this dog done.

hope all gose well.get well soon moss. :huggles:

Oh how awful - poor Moss :(

Lots of :huggles: :luck: for a really fast recovery and hope it doesn't leave any mental scars, poor little mite :( Bracken looks like she is doing a fine job :wub:

05whippet said:
Here they are on the sofa this morning,Bracken is very protective of Moss and has been quite upset by his wounds but she is looking after him well  :huggles:

Still can't seem to get over poor Moss' experience. Lovely to see that Bracken is being so kind and caring though. Aren't whippets just wonderful :wub:

Hi Pamela

What a rotten start you all had on Saturday morning down at the show:(

:rant: to the owner of the doberman :rant:

I'm glad to see that Moss is being well looked after by you, Ryan and all his whippety friends.....I'm sure he'll make a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

We'll maybe see you at the weekend?

:wub: Give Moss a big hug from me :wub:

Tracy

:oops: Forgot to say that Isaac wants to know if he can take Moss for a ride on his tractor when he's feeling better!!!! :D :teehee: :D

louiejoe said:
:oops:   Forgot to say that Isaac wants to know if he can take Moss for a ride on his tractor when he's feeling better!!!! :D   :teehee:   :D
Oh yes please,Moss says he'd like that very much! :D

But only if he gets to wear Issac's flat cap and have a smoke of his pipe! :lol: :lol:

Yes,we will be at the fair after the show on Sat minus Moss though,see you then ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
wolfie9 said:
05whippet said:
hi new to all this but looking the pics it looks bad hope moss gets well soon will this mean she will hav to stop showing now becouse of what this dog done.

Moss is'nt a show dog,he just comes along with us for the company (mind you I am sure this was one time when he wished he had sat at home!) I honestly don't know if he had of been a show dog whether he would be able to show again or not?? I do know that Whippets being a working breed are allowed a certain amount of "field injuries" but would this be too much?? I don't know? Does anyone out there know if that would be the end of his showring career had he been a showdog?

margemac said:
05whippet said:
Here is another one,closer up.
Ryan had taken the four Whippets out the front of the building for wees and there was a guy holding his Doberman away over in a corner of the field,next thing Ryan knew Moss was screaming and the Doberman had hold of him  :angry:   poor Moss did'nt know what to do,I don't think people should be showing dogs with bad temps as if this had been a smaller dog it most likely would've been killed!

Hi Pamela & Ryan

I was at the show yesterday, but hadn't realised that this had happened until I read it here. How awful for you and poor Moss. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to all.

Margaret.

Sorry Margaret,that is why we were a bit distracted at the show and not too talkative.

Thanks for your concern :)

:huggles: poor moss, i hope he gets better soon :huggles:

TC said:
05whippet said:

Still can't seem to get over poor Moss' experience. Lovely to see that Bracken is being so kind and caring though. Aren't whippets just wonderful :wub:

It is very hard to get over TC,I still can't believe it whenever I look at him that this could've happened to my beautiful gentle boy,and in fact it really makes me very angry looking at it to think that this man can continue to show a dog with such an unsuitable nature and most likely breed from her! :rant:

And yes,Whippets are wonderful they really look out for one another and bond so well. :huggles:

Poor, poor Moss - what an awful thing to happen - I wish him a very speedy recovery :wub: On the same note, I went to a show at the beginning of May and was horrified to see a terrier in the crossbreed class practically maul the judges hand to pieces -- poor woman was really shocked and her hands were bleeding terribly. The owner didn't even apologise - I really didn't think that this terrier should be in the ring if the owner knew that the dog was not keen on being touched by someone else - what is the point in it?

I think the owner of the Doberman who attacked Moss has gotten away VERY Lightly with £160 bill - I just hope he doesn't take it around more shows and do similar damage.

Just read this thread. Thats so terrible about your boy :eek: I can understand it must make you so angry and upset even to look at his injury :(

You dont expect this kind of thing to happen at shows of all places! :angry: :eek:

Hope Moss makes a quick recovery and he will be ok in the future with other dogs :luck: :luck: :huggles:

Ps Would be interested to know any views on your post too about would it be a end to his showing if he was a show dog, just out of curiousty......Does anyone know? How much 'scarring' is acceptable in a whippet through injuries? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
05whippet said:
wolfie9 said:
05whippet said:

Moss is'nt a show dog,he just comes along with us for the company (mind you I am sure this was one time when he wished he had sat at home!) I honestly don't know if he had of been a show dog whether he would be able to show again or not?? I do know that Whippets being a working breed are allowed a certain amount of "field injuries" but would this be too much?? I don't know? Does anyone out there know if that would be the end of his showring career had he been a showdog?

:unsure:

I'm glad to hear it's been reported to the IKC, and I hope that they follow through with it. I find it appalling to see that temperament seems to get last place in some breeders priorities. I believe that conformation/type/health and temperament ALL have equal priority in breeding and showing. If a dog is aggressive it has no place in the show ring. I've watched a judge practically get bit by a dog it was going over, and still place the dog. WHY?? Even if it was the best constructed dog in the ring, it's temperament is NOT one that the breed should continue with.

Anyway, just my .02

Hope Moss is feeling better today.

Wendy

05whippet said:
wolfie9 said:
05whippet said:

I think you'd have to wait to see the scarring, but chances are it wouldn't be the physical scarring that would end his career, but the emotional scars from the trauma. If the bite hasn't affected his conformation, then I can't see how the physical scars would be a problem.

Wendy

Glad Moss is being nursed well :p

Providing the scarring did not affect movement or construction it would be no problem. Toes or teeth missing would need a letter from the vet to say these had been removed after an accident and were not a birth defect.

You will probably find that when the fur grows back it will only be slightly visable. I do hope the KC ban the Dobe from being shown or bred from, they usually do.

05whippet said:
kris said:
poor moss,i hope he makes a quick recovery.as an owner of dobes for over 30 years can i say not all dobies are like this.however,if the dog is a stud dog they do tend to be aggressive towards other males,rather like stallions.that is one reason why they should not be off the lead at a dog show.any owner knows his dogs temperament so he has learned the hard way to keep his dog on a lead.the 160 pounds vet bill should hopefully make him think twice.poor moss has paid the price for this mans stupidity.i was at a terrier show once and a cairn terrier attacked my manchester terrier,i put my arm out to protect my dog and it bit me on the arm.the woman owner didnt even apologise to me :angry:
Kris I could understand it a bit better if it had of been a male dog and used at stud,but this was a bitch and a young one too and incidently Moss is a neuter and extremely friendly towards other dogs (or at least he used to be! :angry: )and certainly no threat to anyone or anything!!

I know accidents do happen,but I truly believe that this guy surely must have known that his dog had a tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs as she certainly seemed to know exactly what it was she was doing,I mean she bolted towards our dogs, who were on leads,and just grabbed Moss our dogs were'nt even doing anything at the time and there was no-one else about to have startled her? Inside the building at the show later on he did say to me that he had been trying to stack her with no lead on :blink: and that when he saw Ryan & our dogs that he tried to put her on the lead as she can be a bit "funny" and I did reply to him that if he knew she was a bit "funny" he should'nt have her off the lead at any time at all. :angry: :angry:

BTW I am not stating that Dobes are nasty (as I know a few people who have them,and in fact there are two at our ringcraft and they have lovely temps) it just so happens that it was a Dobe that attaked Moss and this one was nasty.

if this was a bitch then i fail to see what excuse could be made for her behaviour. :angry: (sorry but i thought it was a male,so maybe it was a male stud being bolshy with another male) :b

after seeing pics of poor moss's injuries which are horrific im just glad the outcome isnt worse as it so easily could have been.if he knew his bitch could be a 'bit funny' what the hell was he doing letting her off the lead?what an idiot. :angry: i hate seeing pics of whippies that have been attacked by other breeds.its so upsetting as they are one of the least offensive,most gentle, sweet natured breeds i know.(daughter has 5 of them living with us in our house,and if anything like this ever hapened to any of them i think id be up on a murder charge!)give moss a big hug and a kiss from me and i do so hope hes better soon. :huggles: :luck: :thumbsup: :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back