The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Moss!!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm so glad he had a reasonable night Pamela & that he is eaten, hopefully the poor wee man is on the road to recovery :luck:

I dont care WHAT breed of dog it was, it's down to the owner to be responsible & have it on a lead at all times.

I had a Dobe many years ago & she was the sweetest natured if not a little daft dog ever :)

I do not beleive this was a "one off" the guy MUST know his dogs temperament.

a. he shouldn't be showing & promoting a dog with a temperament like this to launch an unprovoked attack, the dog is NOT trustworthy.

b. He should NEVER have this dog off a lead no matter where he is.

c. Even if on a lead it should be muzzled at all times to prevent future injuries.

Glad he paid the bill, quite rightly so & hope it teaches him some common sense in the future :thumbsup:

:eek: poor Moss, i wish him a speedy recovery, a show ground is no place for a dog with a bad temperament, but it does seem there are to many like it, we have witnessed it at shows, and sadly we have a few at our ringcraft, 2 which can barely be gone over.

:luck: Get well soon Moss :thumbsup: :huggles:

how shocking for you and moss ,his wounds look horrific.

hope he feels better soon. :wub:

poor moss,i hope he makes a quick recovery.as an owner of dobes for over 30 years can i say not all dobies are like this.however,if the dog is a stud dog they do tend to be aggressive towards other males,rather like stallions.that is one reason why they should not be off the lead at a dog show.any owner knows his dogs temperament so he has learned the hard way to keep his dog on a lead.the 160 pounds vet bill should hopefully make him think twice.poor moss has paid the price for this mans stupidity.i was at a terrier show once and a cairn terrier attacked my manchester terrier,i put my arm out to protect my dog and it bit me on the arm.the woman owner didnt even apologise to me :angry:

kris said:
poor moss,i hope he makes a quick recovery.as an owner of dobes for over 30 years can i say not all dobies are like this.however,if the dog is a stud dog they do tend to be aggressive towards other males,rather like stallions.that is one reason why they should not be off the lead at a dog show.any owner knows his dogs temperament so he has learned the hard way to keep his dog on a lead.the 160 pounds vet bill should hopefully make him think twice.poor moss has paid the price for this mans stupidity.i was at a terrier show once and a cairn terrier attacked my manchester terrier,i put my arm out to protect my dog and it bit me on the arm.the woman owner didnt even apologise to me :angry:
Kris I could understand it a bit better if it had of been a male dog and used at stud,but this was a bitch and a young one too and incidently Moss is a neuter and extremely friendly towards other dogs (or at least he used to be! :angry: )and certainly no threat to anyone or anything!!

I know accidents do happen,but I truly believe that this guy surely must have known that his dog had a tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs as she certainly seemed to know exactly what it was she was doing,I mean she bolted towards our dogs, who were on leads,and just grabbed Moss our dogs were'nt even doing anything at the time and there was no-one else about to have startled her? Inside the building at the show later on he did say to me that he had been trying to stack her with no lead on :blink: and that when he saw Ryan & our dogs that he tried to put her on the lead as she can be a bit "funny" and I did reply to him that if he knew she was a bit "funny" he should'nt have her off the lead at any time at all. :angry: :angry:

BTW I am not stating that Dobes are nasty (as I know a few people who have them,and in fact there are two at our ringcraft and they have lovely temps) it just so happens that it was a Dobe that attaked Moss and this one was nasty.

05whippet said:
kris said:
Kris I could understand it a bit better if it had of been a male dog and used at stud,but this was a bitch and a young one too and incidently Moss is a neuter and extremely friendly towards other dogs (or at least he used to be! :angry: )and certainly no threat to anyone or anything!!

I know accidents do happen,but I truly believe that this guy surely must have known that his dog had a tendency to be aggressive towards other dogs as she certainly seemed to know exactly what it was she was doing,I mean she bolted towards our dogs, who were on leads,and just grabbed Moss our dogs were'nt even doing anything at the time and there was no-one else about to have startled her? Inside the building at the show later on he did say to me that he had been trying to stack her with no lead on :blink: and that when he saw Ryan & our dogs that he tried to put her on the lead as she can be a bit "funny" and I did reply to him that if he knew she was a bit "funny" he should'nt have her off the lead at any time at all. :angry: :angry:

BTW I am not stating that Dobes are nasty (as I know a few people who have them,and in fact there are two at our ringcraft and they have lovely temps) it just so happens that it was a Dobe that attaked Moss and this one was nasty.

I assumed also it was a "dog"! A very good friend of mine has Dobes & i know as with Rotties "dogs" can be a problem, i also know she has a bitch she cant trust but on the whole usually bitches are fine.

Like with any breed it depends on the "lines" also how the dog has been brought up & i would say that this guy being a "novice" probably has done all the wrong things.

Unless there is a really nasty agressive strain in the breeding i honestly beleive ANY dog no matter what the breed is a product of the "owner"

If unfortunately the owner is a total Dickhead.........well the poor dog doesn't stand much chance :(

poor Moss, hope he is feeling better soon :luck: :luck: :luck:

the dobes owner sounds like a complete muppet to me but at least he had enough about him to appologise and try to get help, when Oto was still in pup he was lunged at and bitten by a GSD at a show, justa puncture wound, no where near as bad as poor moss's bite but the owner just screwed her nose up at the whimpering whippet pup in front of her and turned back to natter to her friend.

i wish some people would realise that temperament is just as important as conformation :angry:

05whippet said:
Here is another one,closer up.
Ryan had taken the four Whippets out the front of the building for wees and there was a guy holding his Doberman away over in a corner of the field,next thing Ryan knew Moss was screaming and the Doberman had hold of him  :angry:   poor Moss did'nt know what to do,I don't think people should be showing dogs with bad temps as if this had been a smaller dog it most likely would've been killed!

Hi Pamela & Ryan

I was at the show yesterday, but hadn't realised that this had happened until I read it here. How awful for you and poor Moss. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to all.

Margaret.

Poor Moss, I hope he makes a speedy recovery from his injuries, he sounds such a gentle soul. Please give him a cuddle from me.

Jenny

OMG that is terrible, poor Moss and all of you, must've been an horrific shock.

:huggles: and :* to Moss , hope he mends well and isn't left terrified of other dogs, can't believe the owner even carried on showing after the event (if I've read correctly) at least he tried to help, and I agree his dog should be on a lead and muzzled all the time, could have been a child's face or throat that she savaged, bad enough being your gentle whippet.

Hope Moss isn't too shaken up, sending him lots of love o:)

Julie D said:
OMG that is terrible, poor Moss and all of you, must've been an horrific shock.
:huggles: and :*   to Moss , hope he mends well and isn't left terrified of other dogs, can't believe the owner even carried on showing after the event (if I've read correctly) at least he tried to help, and I agree his dog should be on a lead and muzzled all the time, could have been a child's face or throat that she savaged, bad enough being your gentle whippet.

Hope Moss isn't too shaken up, sending him lots of love  o:)

Yes Julie he did carry on and show,lets just hope that the Judge was able to go over her,I'm glad it was'nt me!!! And YES! it could very well have been a child or even a smaller dog,I am sorry but I just feel that the Show ring is no place for that type of dog! :angry: I do mean it's temp here and not the fact that it was a Doberman.

Last edited by a moderator:
beaker said:
i wish some people would realise that temperament is just as important as conformation  :angry:
Actually, i think temperament is more important than conformation. Lets face it; most pups we produce go to pet homes and unless they have nice temperament they will not make good companions. I would feel morally responsible if i sell a dog which caused serious injury to another dog or person.

Dogs as agressive as this dobe do not belong in showring, and they should not be used for breeding.

Speedy recovery to Moss! :luck: Poor luv. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
:( poor Moss :( hope he recovers very very quickly from this terrible ordeal :luck: :luck: :huggles:

Poor Moss, I hope he recovers quickly and this doesn't alter his personality towards other dogs. I'm sure like all whippy's who are injured no matter how bad will lap up all the attention and then some.

Having had Dobes for about 20 years before I was taken over by whippets I made sure that they were well socialized and behaved around ring side. When it came time to breeding my males were always bred to bitches of sound temperment. The funny thing was that my oldest whippet was raised with Dobes and he thinks he ten feet tall and bullet proof. If someone came into our camping area he would be the first to raise the alarm, not any of the Dobes, Rotties or Staffies that were in our group, but then a complete softie if it meant he was going to fussed over.

As in the case of all breeds when in the wrong hands or inexperienced hands these sort of problems arrise. The Dobe bitch sounds very much like she shouldn't be taken to show's and/or until this person fully understands the training and caution this dog requires.

Gentle hugs for Moss from us here. :wub: :luck:

Cristina

Mychaka Whippets

Poor Moss :( :( - hope he feels better today. :luck: :huggles:

This is awful, poor poor Moss :( I really hope that he feels better today and that the wound will heal quickly.

Poor Moss. I hope he feels better soon and it hasn't knocked his confidence.

Moss says thankyou to everyone for their cuddles and hugs,he says they have made him feel much better.And he has sent another couple of pics to show you his poor leg,but his "sister" Bracken looks after him very well. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back