The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Race Its Happened

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Think maybe its about time the bickering stopped.The race was run and the fastest bitch won :D Let it drop Mark.Whippet/Greyhounds whatever percentage have been lurcher racing for years,and will continue to do so.Look at the poll says it all those who have bothered to vote haven't got a problem with them running.As for running the dogs at both non peds and lurcher racing whats the problem with that.If you've got a dog for racing then race it.That simple.I remember a few years back Mike saying to me 'im gonna have to get a whippet/greyhound if I want to keep up with the dogs that are racing at lurcher shows' He was right Mark and he went ahead and did just that.Joined the many of us that own them.Your race just proved he did the right thing :D Karen

Tag's looking great Mike,have you put a pic on non ped,Steve and Shelly will love him :D Karen

rodders said:
Think maybe its about time the bickering stopped.The race was run and the fastest bitch won :D Let it drop Mark.Whippet/Greyhounds whatever percentage have been lurcher racing for years,and will continue to do so.Look at the poll says it all those who have bothered to vote haven't got a problem with them running.As for running the dogs at both non peds and lurcher racing whats the problem with that.If you've got a dog for racing then race it.That simple.I remember a few years back Mike saying to me 'im gonna have to get a whippet/greyhound if I want to keep up with the dogs that are racing at lurcher shows' He was right Mark and he went ahead and did just that.Joined the many of us that own them.Your race just proved he did the right thing :D Karen
Tag's looking great Mike,have you put a pic on non ped,Steve and Shelly will love him :D Karen

THERES NO WAY KAREN I WILL GET A GREYHOUND WHIPPET TO RACE ON A WEEKEND 6 MONTHS A YEAR, IAM NOT SORE ABOUT LOOSIN AS I LISTENED TO WHAT YOU SAID A UNDER 23 SHOULD RACE A UNDER 23 NOT AN OVER, LOOK WHAT YOU SAID ON THE RACE THREAD, TO ME ITS ABOUT THE WINTER DAYS AND NIGHTS AND HAVIN A BIT OF FUN IN THE SUMMER AS YOU KNOW I LIKE THE SIMULATED COARSING AND THE STRAIGHT RACING ETC IS A BONUS AND HAVING THE RACE WAS A BIT OF FUN WITH MIKE AND BARNEY BOY IT WASNT ME WHO ASKED FOR THE RACE WAS IT, BUT I EXCEPTED EVEN WITH A 2 AND A HALF INCH HEIGHT DIFFERANCE, AND FOR THEM TO BE NECK AND NECK AT 130 YARDS THAT TELLS YOU SOMETHING ANYWAY HOPE NO HARD FEELINGS IN ALL THIS BUT KAREN A FACT IS THAT DOG OF MINE WILL BEAT MORE WHIPPET GREYHOUNDS THEN IT LOOSES AGAINST IN STRAIGHT RACIN AND COARSING AND DEFINETLY IN CATCHING RABBITS THANKS MARK

A great way to end this thread,no hard feelings on both sides,and a summer to look forward too :D

I went to lurcher shows and raced and showed lurchers and had so much fun, met lots and lots of new friends both in Northern Ireland and in England and Markbrick there is no key in my back so you're not winding me up :huggles: Just because England got hammered at the rugby at the weekend please don't take it out on me. :teehee:

dazgail said:
I went to lurcher shows and raced and showed lurchers and had so much fun, met lots and lots of new friends both in Northern Ireland and in England and Markbrick there is no key in my back so you're not winding me up  :huggles: Just because England got hammered at the rugby at the weekend please don't take it out on me. :teehee:
WELL I CANT TAKE THAT OUT OF THE IRISH, THIS TIME THERE DEFINATLY BETTER AT THE RUGBY, IAM A LEAGUE MAN SO AGAIN IT DOESNT BOTHER ME, AND FOR BOTH GAMES FARREL SHOULD OF STOPPED AT WIGAN

markbrick said:
rodders said:

THERES NO WAY KAREN I WILL GET A GREYHOUND WHIPPET TO RACE ON A WEEKEND 6 MONTHS A YEAR, IAM NOT SORE ABOUT LOOSIN AS I LISTENED TO WHAT YOU SAID A UNDER 23 SHOULD RACE A UNDER 23 NOT AN OVER, LOOK WHAT YOU SAID ON THE RACE THREAD, TO ME ITS ABOUT THE WINTER DAYS AND NIGHTS AND HAVIN A BIT OF FUN IN THE SUMMER AS YOU KNOW I LIKE THE SIMULATED COARSING AND THE STRAIGHT RACING ETC IS A BONUS AND HAVING THE RACE WAS A BIT OF FUN WITH MIKE AND BARNEY BOY IT WASNT ME WHO ASKED FOR THE RACE WAS IT, BUT I EXCEPTED EVEN WITH A 2 AND A HALF INCH HEIGHT DIFFERANCE, AND FOR THEM TO BE NECK AND NECK AT 130 YARDS THAT TELLS YOU SOMETHING ANYWAY HOPE NO HARD FEELINGS IN ALL THIS BUT KAREN A FACT IS THAT DOG OF MINE WILL BEAT MORE WHIPPET GREYHOUNDS THEN IT LOOSES AGAINST IN STRAIGHT RACIN AND COARSING AND DEFINETLY IN CATCHING RABBITS THANKS MARK

Mark Myself and my partner are the owners of Miss Ellie and also the breeders of Ellie May current over 23" All Ireland Champion, Miss Tori Current Under 23" All Ireland Champion, Whistler and Ellies Star. I wanted to reiterate a few things others have said. If you werent already familiar a Greyhound is a PURE BREED a lurcher is a mixture. The above dogs I refer to are LURCHERS your dogs are LURCHERS not!!!!!!! GREYHOUNDS. You had a Lurcher race against a Lurcher you got beaten Nearly winning isnt good enough im afraid you accept it but keep trying to prove yourself. You brought it but sorry you didnt bring it home, if you are willing to accept a suggestion then I suggest you get yourself a 7/8th and join the game. Then noone can say anything.

:thumbsup:

baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

Mark Myself and my partner are the owners of Miss Ellie and also the breeders of Ellie May current over 23" All Ireland Champion, Miss Tori Current Under 23" All Ireland Champion, Whistler and Ellies Star. I wanted to reiterate a few things others have said. If you werent already familiar a Greyhound is a PURE BREED a lurcher is a mixture. The above dogs I refer to are LURCHERS your dogs are LURCHERS not!!!!!!! GREYHOUNDS. You had a Lurcher race against a Lurcher you got beaten Nearly winning isnt good enough im afraid you accept it but keep trying to prove yourself. You brought it but sorry you didnt bring it home, if you are willing to accept a suggestion then I suggest you get yourself a 7/8th and join the game. Then noone can say anything.

look iam very familiar with lurchers and you have missed somthing here,this thread was put up to say i lost thats it full stop mike came on here to thank me for the race as i did him and tell me my measurments were wrongin the track lengh i appoligised and said sorry also there is a differance in the 2 dogs at the finishing line thats it i lost, THEN MIKE MADE IT CLEAR to everyone on here THAT ELLIE IS NOT 7/8TH GREYHOUND WHIPPET HE OWNS ELLIE AND KNOWS THE BREEDING IN SIDE OUT SO ARE YOU NOW LIEING ABOUT ELLIE AS SOMEONE IS thanks mark

markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

look iam very familiar with lurchers and you have missed somthing here,this thread was put up to say i lost thats it full stop mike came on here to thank me for the race as i did him and tell me my measurments were wrongin the track lengh i appoligised and said sorry also there is a differance in the 2 dogs at the finishing line thats it i lost, THEN MIKE MADE IT CLEAR to everyone on here THAT ELLIE IS NOT 7/8TH GREYHOUND WHIPPET HE OWNS ELLIE AND KNOWS THE BREEDING IN SIDE OUT SO ARE YOU NOW LIEING ABOUT ELLIE AS SOMEONE IS thanks mark

Think you've got it wrong mate!! You are implying your dog raced against Greyhounds! They are 7/8th's but they are not pure greyhounds they are LURCHERS! Dont call me a liar either. I know exactly you are saying you got beaten all im saying is that your a sore looser! Im just proud a dog that my partner bred turned out so well. Im sure you have a good mix also so happy racing and hope to race someday!

baby1 said:
markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

Think you've got it wrong mate!! You are implying your dog raced against Greyhounds! They are 7/8th's but they are not pure greyhounds they are LURCHERS! Dont call me a liar either. I know exactly you are saying you got beaten all im saying is that your a sore looser! Im just proud a dog that my partner bred turned out so well. Im sure you have a good mix also so happy racing and hope to race someday!

Sorry made a mistake in that message about the 7/8th OOHHPPS Look just look in the database as John Humphries suggested that will tell you all you need to know.

:wacko:

Also forgot to say Miss Ellie belongs to us we bred Mikes Dog and the greyhound belongs to a very very very good friend of ours so We know the breeding inside out!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mark, whilst we're on the subject of breeding, you keep refering to your dogs as collie crosses.. i would certainly not dispute the sire of your pups is a first cross collie greyhound, but i think i know more about the breeding of the dam than you do as i brought this line of whippet greyhounds into Cornwall. Firstly it was a greyhound cross non-ped whippet, this was crossed with a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet, then i would have no more to do with this line as people started inter-breeding them and lots of this line started suffering from fits and this is still going on... so we can safely say that your pups are 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet cross collie greyhound. Which means your dogs are 1/4 collie, the rest is made up from racing greyhounds and non-ped whippets.

mike palmer said:
hi mark, whilst we're on the subject of breeding, you keep refering to your dogs as collie crosses.. i would certainly not dispute the sire of your pups is a first cross collie greyhound, but i think i know more about the breeding of the dam than you do as i brought this line of whippet greyhounds into Cornwall. Firstly it was a greyhound cross non-ped whippet, this was crossed with a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet, then i would have no more to do with this line as people started inter-breeding them and lots of this line started suffering from fits and this is still going on... so we can safely say that your pups are 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet cross collie greyhound. Which means your dogs are 1/4 collie, the rest is made up from racing greyhounds and non-ped whippets.

HERE HERE :lol:

baby1 said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

Sorry made a mistake in that message about the 7/8th OOHHPPS Look just look in the database as John Humphries suggested that will tell you all you need to know.

Also forgot to say Miss Ellie belongs to us we bred Mikes Dog and the greyhound belongs to a very very very good friend of ours so We know the breeding inside out!

ok baby1 i except your appoligie i think we all get confused, i dont care about loosin, mike has 2 good dogs but when uve been around runing dogs as long as me you know people exagerate about there dogs alot, but what weve got here is a owner of a dog saying she isnt 7/8th as he knows the breeding well and the breeder saying it is, this could be a lawsuit if we were in the states, see i know my breeding as i bred both of my pups and have the parents so i know there collie x but as usual this is the case with other peoples dogs

markbrick said:
baby1 said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

ok baby1 i except your appoligie i think we all get confused, i dont care about loosin, mike has 2 good dogs but when uve been around runing dogs as long as me you know people exagerate about there dogs alot, but what weve got here is a owner of a dog saying she isnt 7/8th as he knows the breeding well and the breeder saying it is, this could be a lawsuit if we were in the states, see i know my breeding as i bred both of my pups and have the parents so i know there collie x but as usual this is the case with other peoples dogs

Mark you know I actually feel sorry for you becuase you get such stick so fair play for that, however when we get connected at home my partner will PM you and tell you what the breeding is because he knows a lot more than I. Mike has cracking dogs not just good dogs. :thumbsup:

baby1 said:
markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

Must reply to this,sorry.But Whippetxgreyhounds are not and never will be LURCHERS.This is an imposibility,as two sight hounds bred together result in ofspring which are still pure sight hound and not Lurchers.A Lurcher must have base blood in it eg,collie,terrier,Alsation,Labrador,pointer,setter,or whatever.As you well know ive raced Whippetxgreyhounds for long enough years ago,and i can say hand on heart ,they were never lurchers,although they were able to do the work of one.And i will race them again,of that you can also be sure. No offence meant here ,but fact is fact. The gene pool of some 7/8x,or even 3/4xcan be as pure greyhond as an actual pure greyhond,and some can also throw back to almost pure Whippet,so unless someone has a lot of cash to spend on profesional help,we'll never know exactly what % our dogs are.But when you breed a 3/4 to a greyhound,the resulting pups are basicaly 7/8,which is almost as pure as we can get.This not only covers WhippetxGreyhounds but every other breed of dog known to man.The way things have gone in racing over the past few years,you have to breed this way to be in with any real chance of winning.So as the saying goes ,if you aint in,you cant win.So get youreself a 7/8.I'll try to do it the old way first,with a 3/4.Not much hope though. ...Billy... PS."Goodluck everyone for this year"

mike palmer said:
hi mike yes your right whiskeys the dad a three quarter good old workin g h collie x greyhound whippet and yes you told me last year there is fits in the dams line andi hope i bred it out with the collie x but it was only when the pups were 7 months i found this out and to me inter breeding is WRONG but most of you did it down here the pups have 15% collie and when i breed one this year it might have less then but lets see on that one ,BUT WE ARE GOING OF THE SUBJECT YOU SAY ELLIE IS NOT A 7/8TH WHAT DO YOU KNOE WHAT HER BREEDER DOESNT IAM CONFUSED

billyboy45 said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
baby1 said:
markbrick said:
rodders said:

Must reply to this,sorry.But Whippetxgreyhounds are not and never will be LURCHERS.This is an imposibility,as two sight hounds bred together result in ofspring which are still pure sight hound and not Lurchers.A Lurcher must have base blood in it eg,collie,terrier,Alsation,Labrador,pointer,setter,or whatever.As you well know ive raced Whippetxgreyhounds for long enough years ago,and i can say hand on heart ,they were never lurchers,although they were able to do the work of one.And i will race them again,of that you can also be sure. No offence meant here ,but fact is fact. The gene pool of some 7/8x,or even 3/4xcan be as pure greyhond as an actual pure greyhond,and some can also throw back to almost pure Whippet,so unless someone has a lot of cash to spend on profesional help,we'll never know exactly what % our dogs are.But when you breed a 3/4 to a greyhound,the resulting pups are basicaly 7/8,which is almost as pure as we can get.This not only covers WhippetxGreyhounds but every other breed of dog known to man.The way things have gone in racing over the past few years,you have to breed this way to be in with any real chance of winning.So as the saying goes ,if you aint in,you cant win.So get youreself a 7/8.I'll try to do it the old way first,with a 3/4.Not much hope though. ...Billy... PS."Goodluck everyone for this year"

WELL THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOMEBODY KNOWS THERE DOGS,BILLY, AS EVERY ONE ELSE IS WORMING THERE WAY OUT OF THIS AND I WOULDNT DARE ASK PEOPLE ON LURCHER FORUMS WHATS A 7/8TH GH WH WAS, AND WASNT IT YOU MIKE AND LES AS YOU WAS VICE PRESIDENT OF KERNOW LURCHER CLUB THAT STOPPED DIANE RUNING HER WHIPPETS AS YOU DIDNT BELEAVE THEY WERE WHIPPET GREYHOUNDS AND SHE HAD TO GET PAPERS SHOWING THEY WERE X BRED AND CARRIES THEM TO EVERY LURCHER SHOW AFTER SHE SHED A LOT OF TEARS LETS START ANSWERING NOW AND NOT DUCKING SO IF I WAS YOU I WOULDNT WANT ELLIE TO BE 7/8TH

It all depends on who's opinion you wish to side with as to whether you call a greyhound x whippet a lurcher. In billy's opinion it is not but in my opinion it is. I know that famous doggy men in the past have stated that two pure sighthounds mated together produce a longdog but also famous doggy men in years gone past have disputed this. It just depends on who's view you side with. Also it is well documented that there has been terrier blood bred into racing greyhounds as well as whippets many years ago but we won't go into that discussion.

Maybe to keep everone happy we should call them lurcher/longdog shows. :lol: :- "

PS Why does everyone keep posting with quotes....does my head in to get to the bottom of the page to read the persons reply :p

OH FER GOODNESS SAKE WILL EVERYONE STOP "QUOTING" THE PREVIOUS 230 PAGES !!!!!!!!!!! (w00t) (w00t) THIS IS BECOMING IMPOSSIBLE TO READ...WE DONT NEED TO SEE WAY BACK TO 1989s POSTS.

IM BLINDED WITH WORDS HERE :eek:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :(

:oops: JUST SEEN YOUR VIEW TOO ON IT DARREN..... (w00t) :thumbsup:

thanks

i am so glad someone knows the breeding of marks dogs now maybe he,ll shut up

So John ,and Gaz,what do i do here .Do i go Add Reply or go reply ,that is beside quote.Pose ill see now ,wont i.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back