The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Select Just One Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
brad.jpg

Ch Dunaruna Savannah Shadow

For breed type and comformation

My fave would probably be Ch Dyanne Dondelayo. Have attached a badly scanned picture.

Of our current stars, I think Bardo certainly has that special something.

The whole reason I ever got a whippet was because of Gorwynne Reed Bunting of Baldrey. Never had the opportunity to meet him in the flesh, but it was one of his daughters who made me fall in love with the breed, and I was so thrilled that my first whippet was a son of his - from his last litter. (picture of Sam also attached)

Ch_Dyanne_Dondelayo_small.jpg

Gorwynne_Reed_Bunting_of_Baldrey_small.JPG

Recently Bardo - Winged Dove and Walkabout Wild Lament - A hard choice in any line up All perfection

Past my special Boy who melted my heart Tilegreen Tornedo (Sid)

Moved like melted gold - a true star - Brindle showman XXX

:wub:

clardia said:
Past my special Boy who melted my heart Tilegreen Tornedo (Sid)Moved like melted gold - a true star - Brindle showman XXX

what a fantastic description, sounds wonderful

louisetope said:
My fave would probably be Ch Dyanne Dondelayo.  Have attached a badly scanned picture.

Absolutely beautiful - looks just like a whippet should - I'd love to scoop her up and tuck her under my jacket to take home (and she actually looks as though you could do it!).

Dyanne_Dondelayo.jpg

Cartman said:
doris said:
clardia said:
Past my special Boy who melted my heart Tilegreen Tornedo (Sid)Moved like melted gold - a true star - Brindle showman XXX

Great discription. Reminds me of one I had a few years back. "He showed like a lump of lead". :D

Thats the trouble with Judges being Honest

Tilegreen Tornedo was owned by Maureen Blanks. He was the breed record holder for CC's in dogs fore some years, having won some 27 cc's

this is the picture for chris :

Ch Moongaze Tophat and Tails FCh JC

This is the one for Karen :

CH SPORTING FIELD SIR NOLAN OF RAINTREE JC

(photo by Raintree)

clardia said:
Cartman said:
doris said:
clardia said:

Great discription. Reminds me of one I had a few years back. "He showed like a lump of lead". :D

Thats the trouble with Judges being Honest

Tilegreen Tornedo was owned by Maureen Blanks. He was the breed record holder for CC's in dogs fore some years, having won some 27 cc's

anyone got a pic? of the melted gold mover, not the lump of lead one :lol:

*Mark* said:
brad.jpg

Ch Dunaruna Savannah Shadow

For breed type and comformation

How fortunate we are over here in North America to have Brad descendants from the only litter bred out of him before he left England and was lost to the breed in that horrible accident. We have a Brad great-grandson who became a Cdn.Ch. this year, and I am clipping a photo of a Brad great-grandaughter, born in January 2006. This is Dumond Bohemian Rhapsody at 7 months of age. Her mum is Cdn.Ch. Spicewind It's All About Me, a daughter of Am.Ch. Klondyke Spin the Shadow, (Brad's son). Her dam is our own Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wotta Jesta (a son of Ch. Nevedith Justa Jesta).

Personally I think the dog that the whippet standard could have been written for while she was standing there was Ch. Nutshell of Nevedith. I am clipping my favourite photo of her.

Lanny

Dumond_Bohemian_Rhapsody_going_BPIG_1_Sept_2006.jpg

nutshell.jpg

satiny said:
satiny said:
This is the one for Karen :
CH SPORTING FIELD SIR NOLAN OF RAINTREE JC

(photo by Raintree)

Sorry had to reduce the picture :D

Thanks for that, He was one beautiful hound, Im not sure if he is related to Dolly? Can anyone help here?

Its interesting that there seems to be a quality about the whites.

Karen said:
satiny said:
satiny said:
This is Thanks for that, He was one beautiful hound, Im not sure if he is related to Dolly? Can anyone help here?

Its interesting that there seems to be a quality about the whites.

Hi. SF Sir Nolan of Raintree was a son of Am.Cdn.Ch. Sporting Fields Kinsman, perhaps the best dog bred by Sporting Fields in the past thirty years. He threw a preponderence of white dogs and yes, Dolly is related as she is his great granddaughter and there are several lines back to Kinsman behind her. Sir Nolan's mother was also a Sporting Field bitch, and was a granddaughter of Kinsman, so you clearly see his type.

Kinsman was a mostly white dog with red. We used two of his children as our outcross line here at Avalonia, the best of which was his splendid daughter Cdn.Ch. Sporting Field Perfection, who was almost totally white except for a bit of fawn over one eye and a fawn spot on her hindquarters. You can see pictures of her on our Avalonia website. Sadly, Amanda (named after Debbie Butt's daughter Amanda) died of a terrible cancer at just 10 years of age a couple of years ago, but we have several of her daughters, including one sired by Ch. Nevedith Local Lancer who is called Avalonia Lagavulin. Buffy had a litter of 7 pups (6 girls and 1 boy 15 days ago) and two of them are almost entirely white, a dog and a bitch. We are keeping the bitch because if you believe in karma and reincarnation, then we just got our Amanda back. She is marked identically to her grandmother.

Incidentally, SF Kinsman was extremely well bred and extremely prepotent as to type. His sire was a dog who reminds me a lot of Hillsdown Fergal -- a blue brindle dog with white points called Am.Ch. Sporting Field Strider. I think Strider made Kinsman the dog he was. Strider was a son of SF Clansman who was -- drum roll -- a son of Eng.and Am.Ch. Charmoll Clansman. So there is a very English connection.

Lanny Morry

Thank you for that Lanny, I thought Dolly must share a few ancestors with Nolan and you made it much easier than posting pedigrees. I loved Kinsman too.

I do think sometimes the way the dogs are photographed in the US (from a low viewpoint) makes them appear VERY different from ours here in the UK. In the flesh most are really quite similar.

Macha said:
aslan said:
Here's one thread I found from 2003
Best whippet in the ring ever

the best in the ring is not always the best example of conformation to the written standard

It is very hard to not only choose one favourite but also to say why, but the dog I loved to see most of all was CH.Single Malt at Dumbriton.He was the sort of dog I just couldn't take my eyes off and I would wonder if he would fit in my pocket!

teresa said:
Macha said:
aslan said:
Here's one thread I found from 2003
Best whippet in the ring ever

the best in the ring is not always the best example of conformation to the written standard

It is very hard to not only choose one favourite but also to say why, but the dog I loved to see most of all was CH.Single Malt at Dumbriton.He was the sort of dog I just couldn't take my eyes off and I would wonder if he would fit in my pocket!

:) Some dogs are like that, but we should be able to see past 'that' charisma and see the dog's faults before we use him for breeding. But the OP did not ask for our favorite Whippet, but for one the best represent the standard :)

Looking through people's choices on this thread i found several fantastic dogs i have not seen before, but also some very nice dogs with faults, which in my opinion would disqualify them from representing the ideal of Whippet standard.

As we all know there has been some wonderful whippets over many years Ch Single Malt at Dumbriton in the past and Ch Barnesmore Galileo presently for me.

"Some dogs are like that, but we should be able to see past 'that' charisma and see the dog's faults before we use him for breeding. But the OP did not ask for our favorite Whippet, but for one the best represent the standard

Looking through PEOPLE'S CHOICES on this thread i found several fantastic dogs i have not seen before, but also some very nice dogs with faults, which in my opinion would disqualify them from representing the ideal of Whippet standard."

This is what this thread is about "People's Choice" and thats what makes these threads great, if we all had the same idea well...... and the Ideal whippet, it would be sad the day when that happens because the race to have the ideal whippet would be over and then we would all stop breeding so until then keep up the good work k9ers.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back