The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Select Just One Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
parnew said:
This is what this thread is about "People's Choice" and thats what makes these threads great, if we all had the same idea well...... and the Ideal whippet, it would be sad the day when that happens because the race to have the ideal whippet would be over and then we would all stop breeding
There are many things in the standard which can be interpreted differently by different people, but there are also things which are not negotiable, Such faults as cowhocks, or being totally upright in pastern are things that, if we do have them in our dogs, we should be trying to breed out. (And I am not saying that any of the dogs posted on this thread do have these particular faults.)

While a stunning top winning dog can have such a fault, I would not pick him up as an example to illustrate the standard.

And yes you are right; threads like this one are very educational for all of us, but especially for beginners. So we should not be afraid to point out that even beautiful dogs are not necessarily perfect.

parnew said:
As we all know there has been some wonderful whippets over many years Ch Single Malt at Dumbriton in the past and Ch Barnesmore Galileo presently for me.

I am bit confused; the first dog looks like a Barnesmore Galileo, but the second does not look like Khabaray Single Malt at Dumbriton to me. I thought he was fawn/red with only little bit of white trim??? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Listers

I am reading with interest the 'select just one' thread and am yet to make my final selection.

Many of the old time greats were well before my time in Whippets and many I haven't seen in the flesh like the USA bred Moxi and the famous Birkonbrae bitches.

One on my list was in fact Eng Ch Tilegreen Torado whom I first met at Bournmouth Show in the late 80s where he won BOB under Editha Newton. I do have a picture of Syd somewhere and promise to dig it out and post it for all to see.

Now having judged in both the USA and the UK there is a big differnece in the USA whippets to there UK cousins.

Many whippets in USA lack balance in body length to leg length ratio, some are even more giraffe like in proportions!!

Now what does the standard say..all forms of exaggeration should be avoided?? Of course the lovely Dolly of Patsy's does not fit into this picture from what I can see from photos.

cheers

Molly

:oops: Right name wrong pic, the first dog is Ch Barnesmore Galileo and the second dog was Ch Fawnbree Special Brew At Dumbriton, another fav of mine. Here's the other boy.

I wan in Boston this year and I can assure you that when Mox entered the ring you couldn't take off your eyes of her, and that is the true. There will be always a difference between the american and english bred whippets. But don't forget the other factor is the way of presenting a dog, which I can show you with one on my dogs below.

First I want to put some pics of Moxi

these are pictures of molly we took at crufts 2005

Another whippet at crufts 2005 (please forgive I don't know the name or the owner) I liked very much is the following picture. I suppose it isn't necessary to maike your choise for a famous acutal dog, isn't it ... (of course I don't know how famous this one is :)

my american bred dog by a finish handler and by myself, think there is quiet a difference for the neck ...

satiny said:
Another whippet at crufts 2005 (please forgive I don't know the name or the owner) I liked very much is the following picture. I suppose it isn't necessary to maike your choise for a famous acutal dog, isn't it ... (of course I don't know how famous this one is  :)

Hello Satiny The dog on the Left Is Ritchies Demerlay Field Of Dreams At Gwendarriff, Thr second Is ellis' Dog And I think That Railfield raindust ( Could Of course be another dog altogether )

Well, last year when I went to scotland to make my choice for a whippet bitch, I saw a wonderful male which I would have taken at home immediately. (for the bitch I couldn't immediately decide between the two sister, and went back one week later to pich up my chloe) However the male I really lover and for my is near to the english standard is Peperone Palmero. And that from the first moment I saw him.

Peperone Palmero is by Ch Peperone Pasadena out of Ch Peperone White Heather.

Ms Molly said:
Hi Listers
I am reading with interest the 'select just one' thread and am yet to make my final selection.

Many of the old time greats were well before my time in Whippets and many I haven't seen in the flesh like the USA bred Moxi and the famous Birkonbrae bitches.

One on my list was in fact Eng Ch Tilegreen Torado whom I first met at Bournmouth Show in the late 80s where he won BOB under Editha Newton. I do have a picture of Syd somewhere and promise to dig it out and post it for all to see.

Now having judged in both the USA and the UK there is a big differnece in the USA whippets to there UK cousins.

Many whippets in USA lack balance in body length to leg length ratio, some are even more giraffe like in proportions!!

Now what does the standard say..all forms of exaggeration should be avoided?? Of course the lovely Dolly of Patsy's does not fit into this picture from what I can see from photos.

cheers

Molly

PLEASE DO POST YOUR PHOTO OF SID TILEGREEN TORNEDO = FOR ALL THOSE WHO DID NOT HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF SEEING THE MOVEMENT OF THIS DOG

YOU WILL NOT FULLY APPRECIATE THE DOG

PERFECTION

As everybody else has put up more than one, I went to search for few more I like. I am looking for all over ballance with all the angles pretty much right, then I eliminate my petty hates like too short upper arm and lack of tuck up.

Here is another boy I much admire - Multi Ch.Avalonia Wheatfield Waving

and for all the reasons above NZ CH/Aust CH Shenace Good On Ya (imp NZ)

One more handsome boy; Ultramarin z Vilcabamba (as a Junoir)

Just to ballance the ratio little bit, here is a lovely bitch;

Ch.Rothbury Rust Bucket

I love seeing these pics, really helpful :thumbsup:

Seraphina said:
Oh yes, he is gorgeous! :wub: And boy can he move!

I'm sorry that I'm posting some photos of whippets owned or bred by me :b , but just to show one of his offspring, here is our "Sonya" who is by Multi Ch. Avalonia Wheatfield Waving (out of a Multi Ch. Bohem Flight Time daughter):

217879471_98d0e47ed4.jpg

And here are Sonya's sons (by Carmodey Tomorrow at Dusilla):

"Aatu"

239341515_98ddd76966.jpg

and

"Eppu"

84295220_8df51ffeec.jpg

Dusilla said:
Seraphina said:
Oh yes, he is gorgeous! :wub: And boy can he move!

I'm sorry that I'm posting some photos of whippets owned or bred by me :b , but just to show one of his offspring, here is our "Sonya" who is by Multi Ch. Avalonia Wheatfield Waving (out of a Multi Ch. Bohem Flight Time daughter):

217879471_98d0e47ed4.jpg

And here are Sonya's sons (by Carmodey Tomorrow at Dusilla):

"Aatu"

239341515_98ddd76966.jpg

and

"Eppu"

84295220_8df51ffeec.jpg

I think Sonya is just beautiful :wub: :wub: I remember going onto your site and I fell in love with her immediately and she has a super ped to boot!! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with Pamela, Sonya is outstanding :wub:

I confess I got a bit choked up seeing people from Australia to Finland note the qualities, including the movement of Cdn.Fin.Nor.World Ch. Avalonia Wheatfield Waving whom we proudly bred. We gave Nicholas his name because of the way he moves -- like the effortless movement of wheat in a field as a gentle breeze moves through it. Movement has always been the thing we hold dearest in our dogs, and Nicholas epitomizes it.

But good dogs are often only recognized if other people beyond yourself recognize what the dog has to offer and in this respect we owe so very much to three individuals who took Nicholas from an 8 acre rural property in Canada and let him see, and be seen by the world.

Rudi Brandt (Frontrunners) of Denmark spent an unreasonably hot Canadian summer day out in our yard stacking and moving a variety of dogs before he selected Nicholas in the summer of 1997 after he had completed his Cdn.Ch. title for Jarmo Vuronien (Scheiks) in Finland as a dog he thought should be shown and would do well in Europe. Jarmo imported and showed him with keeness and commitment. And then Espen Engh from Norway plucked this unknown North American dog from the males being exhibited at the 1998 World Show and made him World Winner.

Two full brothers of Nicholas still live at Avalonia, both of them champions, and a Nicholas son whom we own, Fin.Swed.Cdn.Ch. Scheik's Ardbeg Avalonia has sired outstanding youngsters (all under a year) out of Eng.Cdn.Ch. Nevedith Ceefa Ceely and Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wotta Jesta. Some of these -- and they move like their grandfather -- are featured in our just mailed Biennial ad. Thanks for the good words.

Lanny

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back