The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sup Championship Run Offs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
johnnoble said:
I say leave it at yds per lb. We should be encorouging people to breed smaller not bigger.Its your own choice whether you have big or small.

I dont think anyone has the right to tell you what to breed or buy...............smaller or bigger it's up to the individual to choose...............as long as they are non-ped whippets then why should individuals not have the choice?

I'm sure anyone who has bred dogs will know that it's not possible to determine precisely what weight ranges pups might fall into......why be constrictive about what non-peds can race? And who has the right to decide what is right and wrong...........other than that they are non-ped whippets? Live and let live i say :D

chris

ahorsnall said:
i think you should bred a dog to siut the rules not change the rules to siut the dog :- " less we all want ghd looking whippets :thumbsup:

johnnoble said:
I say leave it at yds per lb. We should be encorouging people to breed smaller not bigger.Its your own choice whether you have big or small.

Have to agree :thumbsup: and wonder when whippet like in appearance changes to dare i say it greyhound like in appearance :blink: Don't object to big dogs running as scratch dogs but have to say disagree with changes to the formats in champs etc to suit specific sizes. For me champs should stay the same as it has always been as if the dogs are good enough (and lets face it they are special to do this what ever size) it is possible, difficult maybe, but possible.

When the Bwra was formed in 1968 if you had a dog over 32lb in weight you could not run it we at Lancaster all had rag racing dogs that were well over that limit and therefore had to change and breed smaller in order to compete and the club went from strength to strength as a result and there was much more interest with over 100 dogs club racing twice per week----- There was not weight classes at opens it was weigh in and yard per lb handicapping the likes of Cherry and Good as Gold were the ones to beat and we all tried not many had any success they dominated the open scene but no one was upset as they were classed as exceptional - I think there is a place for all size dogs each to our own i have had both and prefer small ones but happen to think Scratch racing is much better to watch and shows exceptional dogs at their best ---lets just give things a try for a change if it don't work nothing is lost is it?

steve

"I think there is a place for all size dogs" Well said Steve :thumbsup: Should be the quote for 2008 :D :oops: even though it was said in 2007 :lol: .

I agree with folks in favour of trying something new,for a change.Doesn't mean changing rules all the time,just once in a while for something different :D Karen

i think its up to people to breed there prefered size whippet :)) but agree with john on yards a pound :thumbsup:

here here to chris and steve boyds posts.

why shud people HAVE to breed smaller dogs? IMO i think racing wud b boring if all we ever saw was dogs under 24lb or wotever weight they used to be racing.

scratch racing has absolutly nothing to do with yds per 1lbs so IMO has no place in this thread.

as has been said u can never tell wot size a puppy will go too i think musclebound is out of hellbound who was approxs 35lb but that was out of spellbound x seagars both small whippets cant remember musclbounds mother but im almost sure it was fairly small.

we bred whizziwig years back to mickey mouse ok whizziwig was 38lb but mickey mouse was only 22lb whizzwig was bred ghd x crazy cracker again a small dog so wot was the odds of us having a no limiter mickey whizz @ 50lb?

personally i think people shud breed wotever size they want or think they might get.

anyway think ive gone off topic a bit i personally think yds for pounds always favours the lightweights, just out of curiousity can anyone tell me the heaviest dog or bitch that has won supreme champ on the straights? not including the scratch

sherry said:
here here to chris and steve boyds posts.why shud people HAVE to breed smaller dogs? IMO i think racing wud b boring if all we ever saw was dogs under 24lb or wotever weight they used to be racing.

scratch racing has absolutly nothing to do with yds per 1lbs so IMO has no place in this thread.

as has been said u can never tell wot size a puppy will go too i think musclebound is out of hellbound who was approxs 35lb but that was  out of spellbound x seagars both small whippets cant remember musclbounds mother but im almost sure it was fairly small.

we bred whizziwig years back to mickey mouse ok whizziwig was 38lb but mickey mouse was only 22lb whizzwig was bred ghd x crazy cracker again a small dog so wot was the odds of us having a no limiter mickey whizz @ 50lb?

personally i think people shud breed wotever size they want or think they might get.

anyway think ive gone off topic a bit i personally think yds for pounds always favours the lightweights, just out of curiousity can anyone tell me the heaviest dog or bitch that has won supreme champ on the straights? not including the scratch

that would be MO_EVIL carol, 31-32lbs

OTHER COUNTRYS USE THE 21 INS RULE ALL OFF SCRATCH????????????

THEN PEOPLE WOULD BREED FOR THE HEIGHT,AND AN EVEN BREAK NO YD LB :)

personly i like any thing from 26lb up wards,,,,i ve never really liked the smaller whippet but that my choice i guess

i hav 27lber and 31lber at momment and wouldn,t swap them for a little whippet(no way)but i dont mind the lights weights i like watching them as much as the heavy weights :thumbsup:

i guess if we cross with greyhounds,(which is good) we,ll get any size,,and we should accommadate FOR all,,afterall its a hobbie and a good one at that :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know alot of people that prefer 26lb upwards to 35lb...as i stated would it be fairer for these dogs to have more of a chance in sup champs run off....the FED was created to cater for the larger none ped whippet

Personal i like the sound of tonys idea

DENISE BAILEY said:
I know alot of people that prefer 26lb upwards to 35lb...as i stated would it be fairer for these dogs to have more of a chance in sup champs run off....the FED  was created to cater for the larger none ped whippet
Personal i like the sound of tonys idea

dee it does cater for bigger dogs but wasnt ment just favour bigger dogs :thumbsup: do we just want hwt to to dominate bends and straights ?if half yd good for straights for a change maybe yd and half good on bends for a change too :thumbsup:

and if u think every thing needs changing i say if it aint broke why change?lets do scratch at half yd too :- " dont u see that seems unfair ?what about the 16lb whippet?half yd be very fair dont you think :- "

When i started racing i kept whippets 26lb upwards, i won weight grades , won titles etc ,i was happy with this but i didnt MOAN because i couldnt win opens.

I just decided to keep & breed smaller whippets to enable me to win full opens.

Why change the format to favour bigger dogs. You would hardly ever get a dog under 20lb winning a full open.

The people with small dogs never MOAN about the format on the bends when the bigger dogs always win,dont be greedy [you cant have it both ways]

I remember years ago Mo Evil giving 18yds away in a supreme final and winning.

The bigger dogs now a days probably arent good enough.

suzie said:
When i started racing i kept whippets 26lb upwards, i won weight grades , won titles etc ,i was happy with this but i didnt MOAN because i couldnt win opens.I just decided to keep & breed smaller whippets  to enable me to win full opens.

Why change the format to favour bigger dogs. You would hardly ever get a dog under 20lb winning a full open.

The people with small dogs never MOAN about the format on the bends when the bigger dogs always win,dont be greedy [you cant have it both ways]

Well said :)

suzie said:
When i started racing i kept whippets 26lb upwards, i won weight grades , won titles etc ,i was happy with this but i didnt MOAN because i couldnt win opens.I just decided to keep & breed smaller whippets  to enable me to win full opens.

:thumbsup: correct

what about people that dont run the bends,people with littuns dont moan because they have a better chance of winning on the straights at yd a lb.1 1/2 to much of an advantage for the littuns on the bends.as they are not far away at yd and only a couple of heavy weights 30/31 can win finals. 34 35 no chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
DavidH said:
what about people that dont run the bends,people with littuns dont moan because they have a better chance of winning on the straights at yd a lb.1 1/2 to much of an advantage for the littuns on the bends.as they are not far away at yd and only a couple of heavy weights 30/31 can win finals. 34 35 no chance.
yes thats because there is only a couple of big ones fast enough :- " and you get a little one david and see if that means just because its little it will win opens :thumbsup:

people dont realise how hard it is to win anything at 16 pound i agree with suzie and chris hundred percent its swings and roundabouts for bends and straights how many 16 pounders can win either not many

ahorsnall said:
and if u think every thing needs changing i say if it aint broke why change?lets do scratch at half yd too  :- " dont u see that seems unfair ?what about the 16lb whippet?half yd be very fair dont you think :- "

you getting me all wrong chris...i think tony tayors format sounds a good one , to run a few opens like that maybe for a change

but my 1st question was

I think at Championship events there should be two sup run offs
Up to 25lb and up to 35lb dog/bitch ... or upto 24lb & 32lb

Reasons being over the years i have raced and attended probably 99% of straight champs , once a dog/bitch is over 26lb most pull out ...same as bends with the light weighs on long bend tracks
I just would like to see owners of these dogs competing all day not pulling them out after they win the class

Back to the original question then - it wouldn't be 'supreme' it would be just like any other l/w or h/w class win in my opinion, i think it would take away the prestige of the championships.

For me the dogs that win 'supreme' at champs are exceptional dogs and i do think at some point another exceptional heavyweight or an exceptional lightweight will come along and take us all by surprise this to me is whippet racing. Not changing the format to give other dogs a chance the best on the day is the 'best on the day 'supreme' and it has worked all these years, and dogs from l/w and h/w have managed to win supremes not just m/w's so it does work.

All the time during racing there are certain dogs that seem dominate the opens for a period of time these are the exceptional dogs, and we could all go nameing different sized dogs from past years that dominated the scene - that is until the next ones come along and take over !!!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back