The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Tail Docking

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Since fox terriers have been mentioned in this thread, I thought it would be interesting to compare a docked one to an undocked one.

RN00156802.jpg

bis.jpg

I think it would be a dead hard thing to legislate for because so many working dogs are show dogs aswell. If docked dogs are banned from shows should owners risk their dogs wellbeing while it's working? For the dogs & the owners I think it would be unfair to stamp out one or the other, there are lots of circumstances in which a complete ban would not work.

I object to the notion that I shouldn't be able to comment on this topic if I have never docked a tail myself.....there are many things outside my experience that I feel passionately entitled to hold an opinion on, and give that opinion if asked! I have never been pregnant yet have views on abortion (which I won't share here, but do in other circumstances), I have never signed on but have often-aired thoughts on the subject, I have never butchered a pig yet will happily give my opinion on bacon butties.

Tail docking is no different, I do not need to have done it to have a valid opinion.

For me, this is about what a dog's tail is for (I quite believe you all when you say that the process of docking is not traumatic for a pup, provided it's done properly)

But tails are a dog's primary communication device - to dock completely takes away it's most visible way of signalling mood to other dogs and people......yes a bobbed dog will still wag (often it's whole back end) but how well can they convey 'tail held erect and stiff' as a warning? or 'tucked between legs' to show submission? and all the other subtle shadings that they know and we don't?

I know with Dij that my best way of working out whether he's checking out another dog as a potential playmate or rival, is to keep a close eye on his tail - tail up and stiff is a definate danger sign, up but in a lazy curve means he wants to play.

Incidentally this is where I have a much greyer view of docking than a lot of people seem to - the dock of a fox terrier leaves plenty of tail for communication, whereas the bob of a rottie leaves practically none.

I would take a helluva lot of convincing that for any dog the complete removal of its tail is justified - when it's the equivalent in communication terms of having our tongues removed.....

For pets there would be no way of convincing me at all - and for whole litters to be struck dumb because some of them may go to working homes is unconscionable.

Seraphina said:
REMI said:
Though I might have a go.....would hate my girl to hurt her tail on the farm or have a wombat rip at her ears.....
to prevent injury to the ears they used to be docked like this, or even shorter

tails are DOCKED,ears are CROPPED.ear cropping was banned in the uk many years ago.and with it came the near extinction of a lot of native breeds.manchester terriers were reduced to just 2 or 3 dogs after this law came in.having said that ear cropping and tail docking cant be compared.they are completely different and are carried out at different times in a pups development.tail docking is carried out before pups are 3 days old when their nerve endings arent fully developed and arent as responsive,but ear cropping is carried out much later and is a very painful and traumatic process which i dont condone at all

kris said:
Seraphina said:
REMI said:
Though I might have a go.....would hate my girl to hurt her tail on the farm or have a wombat rip at her ears.....
to prevent injury to the ears they used to be docked like this, or even shorter

tails are DOCKED,ears are CROPPED.ear cropping was banned in the uk many years ago........... ear cropping and tail docking cant be compared.they are completely different and are carried out at different times in a pups development.tail docking is carried out before pups are 3 days old when their nerve endings arent fully developed and arent as responsive,but ear cropping is carried out much later and is a very painful and traumatic process which i dont condone at all

:oops: should not post while talking on the phone :b :)

I agree totally, but unfortunately all the 3: ears, tail and dewclaws are often lumped together. There is a huge difference. The dewclaws can cause big problem if left on, while cropping of ears serves no purpose what so ever. The way it is done nowadays is purely cosmetic. In the past the ears were made very small in some cases almost totally cutting the ear off, which would then prevent other dog or wild animal to grab it.

My point is that each of these issues has to be dealt with separatly. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back