The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Urgent Whippet Cross Girly Needs New Home

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
2 weeks ago , hit a tree at full speed, whatever you think of this gent , he simply cant afford surgery either ( the owner is 14 yrs old and dad is on benefits) the reason behind PTS is they feel the problem shouldnt be passed on to someone else, whether we agree or disagree it is their choice , im just grateful that we have the chance to find her somewhere without going to that extreme :thumbsup:

the lad is totally heartbroken, this was his 2nd dog , first was stolen, then he has trained this bitch up with ferrets etc and i was there the night the injury happened, he stayed here to be with the bitch, dad is old school and believes if working dogs cant work through injury then its lights out , not passed on to all and sundry ( which does happen) , however its my opinion this bitch is young enough to start again

so please any persons wishing to think about her please get in contact asap :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
posh totty said:
2 weeks ago , hit a tree at full speed, whatever you think of this gent , he simply cant afford surgery either ( the owner is 14 yrs old and dad is on benefits) the reason behind PTS is they feel the problem shouldnt be passed on to someone else, whether we agree or disagree it is their choice , im just grateful that we have the chance to find her somewhere without going to that extreme  :thumbsup:
the lad is totally heartbroken, this was his 2nd dog , first was stolen, then he has trained this bitch up with ferrets etc and i was there the night the injury happened, he stayed here to be with the bitch, dad is old school and believes if working dogs cant work through injury then its lights out , not passed on to all and sundry ( which does happen) , however its my opinion this bitch is young enough to start again

so please any persons wishing to think about her please get in contact asap  :thumbsup:

So glad you have Tanya :thumbsup: good luck with her...any pictures?

I thought the father was the owner Tanya ?

AnnSa said:
I thought the father was the owner Tanya ?
no the young lad is but dad has final say if you know what i mean , hence why joe is so upset , i think he will want to keep in touch with poacher

i have taken some pics of her tonight :thumbsup:

can we not raise the funds hor the op on here maybe theTilly fund could help as well

I have spoken to my orthopaedic vet ... reality of situation is 3-4 months complete cage rest with lead control for wee wee etc.

Review situation as the size of this little girl and her age lend themselves to the damage healing without surgical intervention, although she would not be able to work or race etc.

If disability is affecting her life too badly she could then have op to place permanent "gauze" over the joint to act as a replacement for the ligament and keep the knee controlled (approx £450) followed by another 3-4 months complete rest again.

The good news is that the odds are, at her young age, she will repair with enough time and rest and be a wonderful pet.

I shall be telephoning Tanya later this morning as we have been discussing the possibility of the little lady joining the Jinnyfizz gang although it would have to be the right thing for her ......... maybe not fair for her to be shut up in a cage for so long with my lot able to do what they please :unsure:

meddling said:
Rae said:
toots said:
trish g said:
carnt she have it operated on tanya?
Hi,

Please could you tell me where she is and if we could be of any help. We have been looking for a whippet.

We are living in Bournemouth Dorset.

Kind regards...Toots

Posh Totty lives in Norfolk.

I have a whippet with a permanent limp it has never stopped her having fu, or giving cuddles :huggles:

Rae does it stop her from playing with your others?...or can she damage herself more by doing so?

She's aware of it and is protective of herself but its not stopped her being top bitch (when she was younger) or chasing deer :- " Holly has severed tendons for which there was no repair, and a deformity, so there was never a risk of her damaging herself more.

:luck: to this girlie - cage rest is hard, we had to do it with Leia when she broke her leg in spectacular fashion, and she was miserable, but its all forgotten about now, I'd do it again.

jinnyfizz said:
I have spoken to my orthopaedic vet ... reality of situation is 3-4 months complete cage rest with lead control for wee wee etc.Review situation as the size of this little girl and her age lend themselves to the damage healing without surgical intervention, although she would not be able to work or race etc.

If disability is affecting her life too badly she could then have op to place permanent "gauze" over the joint to act as a replacement for the ligament and keep the knee controlled (approx £450) followed by another 3-4 months complete rest again.

The good news is that the odds are, at her young age, she will repair with enough time and rest and be a wonderful pet.

I shall be telephoning Tanya later this morning as we have been discussing the possibility of the little lady joining the Jinnyfizz gang although it would have to be the right thing for her ......... maybe not fair for her to be shut up in a cage for so long with my lot able to do what they please :unsure:

the good news she is caged here except for toilet breaks , and watches baby alice charge round with alfie and friends so isnt too fussed about other dogs being out and her being in ? thats got to be good in this situation :thumbsup: thanks again jane this is extremely kind of you to even call the vet :thumbsup:

Right :) Tanya and I have had a (very) long chat about Poacher and her future and we have decided that Poacher will come to live in Devon with the Jinnyfizz Gang :D

She will be on cage rest for the forseeable future but will be able to come with me in the car during the day so that I can keep her amused and she is not left for long periods of time with no human or dog interaction.

Luckily, I am able to do this in my job as I spend my time driving round Devon and Cornwall seeing GPs and hospital consultants as my job. This also means that I can let her in and out of her cage during the day for pee breaks etc to minimise any discomfort for her :thumbsup:

As time progresses she will move into a larger cage in order to assist her recovery, and I shall also take her swimming to help build the muscle again.

We are both hoping that Poacher will have the best chance of an excellent recovery in this way, and that she will be able to live a normal whippie pet life after this accident.

There is always the option of surgery if the recovery is not all we would expect, but with luck this won't be necessary. However, just to let those who advocated surgery know, I have nothing against it and I am able to fund it, but all veterinary opinion and that of people who know Poacher points to letting nature take it's course with healing this little girl first, assisted by time and care :huggles:

Pictures to follow ................. expected date of Poacher's arrival in Devon is the weekend of 11/12th October :thumbsup:

Please wish us well :D :huggles:

(w00t) aww jane thats fantastic news well done you and tanya for helping this little girl have a chance of life :huggles: :huggles:

im so pleased she has this wonderful chance :huggles: , look forwards to meeting you jane , we are so alike!!!!!!!!!! (w00t)

Great to know that this little girl is going to a loving,caring home :huggles: - well done Jane! :thumbsup:

Hooray - well done Jane :D Hope to meet her and the rest of your lovely gang again soon :luck:

(Are you a medical rep Jane? I work with medical reps if Taunton isnt too far out of your area?)

thats great news best of luck POACHER in your fantastic new life :huggles:

aww im so pleased for poacher :huggles: shes going to get the best :huggles:

thankyou jane your a angel :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

well done tanya for saving her and finding her that home she needs :huggles:

would have loved to have met her :)

That's brilliant news that Poacher's coming to live with your gang, Jane. :thumbsup: And well done Tanya, for taking her in in the first place. :D Looking forward to seeing some pics! :cheers:

(w00t) jane...your going to end up with 2 lines of signature piccys soon :- "

well done jane and tanya, what a massive commitment you are offering this little girl jane :wub: you truely are an angel o:)

Rae said:
(Are you a medical rep Jane?  I work with medical reps if Taunton isnt too far out of your area?)
Yes, I am, Rae :lol: But my territory only extends to Devon and Cornwall - however Taunton isn't that far away from Tiverton/Cullompton so I could always visit :- " :thumbsup:

What do you do, Rae?

peppermint lady said:
(w00t) jane...your going to end up with 2 lines of signature piccys soon :- "
Mmmmmmm :blink: Was wondering about that, Julie :lol:

May have to start doubling them up :unsure:

Awwwwwwww Jane so pleased for little poacher-you're amazing :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

aww another black in the pack :wub:

if there is anything i can do like help with transport etc just let me know :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back