The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whats Your Job??

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi! I'm primarily a full-time conservation biology student, but I do a few hours a week of general "sales assistant" type work in the land of retail to fund feed and vet bills :lol:

Good grief this thread has been ressurected from the annals of k9 :lol: shall we all start again...I wasn't on when in 2005!

I'm a teaching assistant with 4 and 5 year olds, and about to start training as a Vicar!

...have also worked in kennels for 4 years - brilliant

...Nursed for a few years

...worked at a nursery for a while...

this is a great thread.... :D

Im very boring......worked in retail when i was (alot) younger, then had my first daughter when i was 22....stayed at home with her then had another 2 children, been a childminder for about 12 years.........am now looking to get out of the house and get a "proper" job ;)

I graduated in 1993 then was a bit of a hippy/traveller for 18 months 'til I had my first son. Up until then I'd done various holiday jobs to support my studies (worked on a farm, two dog kennels/ catteries, paper factory, shop work etc). After my second son was born in 1996 I did my teacher training (PGCE) and started working as a Sixth Form English and Drama teacher. At Christmas 2006 I left the Sixth Form to support my youngest son who was starting to have difficulties with school. I started a new job as a teaching assistant in 2007 (less homework for me than teaching so I could spend more time with the kids!). At the beginning of this year I applied to go part-time so I could again support my son through a rough patch and they turned me down :( so I had not choice but to resign (your own kids come first, eh?) Since then we have discovered my youngest actually has Asperger's Syndrome and we made the decision that I won't work until he leaves school (we are pretty poor but he's much much more settled and family life is better than it has been for years). I might be teaching an English GCSE evening class this year to keep myself in the loop but other than that I am a lady of leisure ;) Yeah right, two kids and two dogs, one husband??!!

Good idea to resurrect this :)

I trained to teach art (met my OH whilst a student and married him pretty much straight away), but worked as an artist when the kids were tiny so's I could be a stay at home Mum for a while (like Hely I had my first when I was 22 ... and my fourth when I was 31!), got into art therapy, worked in a prison for a bit and then for both a child care company and an elderly care company, all under the art therapy umbrella, started doing connected counselling work and associated training and stuff. Got fed up with all that at about the same time I hit a few health problems so started working towards a PhD, as part of which I began writing the biography of an eighteenth century entomologist ... I lost the funding for the PhD but the biography is ongoing ... biographies take a very long time to write!! And as a sideline I did voluntary work for the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers for years so I can also build a mean dry stone wall and lay a hedge properly, even got my own billhook and bowsaw!

I trained to teach art (met my OH whilst a student and married him pretty much straight away), but worked as an artist when the kids were tiny so's I could be a stay at home Mum for a while (like Hely I had my first when I was 22 ... and my fourth when I was 31!), got into art therapy, worked in a prison for a bit and then for both a child care company and an elderly care company, all under the art therapy umbrella, started doing connected counselling work and associated training and stuff. Got fed up with all that at about the same time I hit a few health problems so started working towards a PhD, as part of which I began writing the biography of an eighteenth century entomologist ... I lost the funding for the PhD but the biography is ongoing ... biographies take a very long time to write!! And as a sideline I did voluntary work for the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers for years so I can also build a mean dry stone wall and lay a hedge properly, even got my own billhook and bowsaw!
René Antoine Ferchault de Réaumur or Merian?

Neither lol, mines neither French nor female ... he's an English he, and he's much later 18thC ... his work extends into the 19thC and he died in the early 1800's. Normally no one has a clue what I'm talking about ... so instead of telling you who ... any more guesses??

I am a Chartered Accountant by profession and until I had my daughter (5 years ago) I used to work for a Big 4 firm in London. I never made it back to employment since I had children and now I mark exam papers for students working towards their Chartered Accountancy qualifications which means I am self employed. Not exactly exciting stuff ... but it works out quite well because I do it from home on a very part time basis which allows me to fulfil my role as slave to my children, dogs and long suffering OH.

It is pretty boring work but it gives me a little money of my own to fund my clothes shopping habit and keep the Pointies on thick comfy beds with tummies full of raw tripe! Better than just presenting OH with my credit card bill!

Neither lol, mines neither French nor female ... he's an English he, and he's much later 18thC ... his work extends into the 19thC and he died in the early 1800's. Normally no one has a clue what I'm talking about ... so instead of telling you who ... any more guesses??
John Curtis? Moses Harris?...

Nope ... Moses Harris is too early and John Curtis is too late, he was only a child in 1800 ... but you're getting warmer, there is a connection beyween my guy and Curtis ... but if you're looking for entomologists who were also illustrators you're on the wrong track ...

Nope ... Moses Harris is too early and John Curtis is too late, he was only a child in 1800 ... but you're getting warmer, there is a connection beyween my guy and Curtis ... but if you're looking for entomologists who were also illustrators you're on the wrong track ...
Haliday or Walker

Haliday or Walker
William Kirby?

Clair's closest ... William Kirby was a good friend of my chap ... who to make it easier was a coleopterist (means he studied beetles for the non scientists) ... I'm being a bit mean because there are no biographies of my entomologist, that's why I'm writing one, and the ODNB and Wikipedia entries for him are inaccurate in a number of respects ... any more ideas ??

Clair's closest ... William Kirby was a good friend of my chap ... who to make it easier was a coleopterist (means he studied beetles for the non scientists) ... I'm being a bit mean because there are no biographies of my entomologist, that's why I'm writing one, and the ODNB and Wikipedia entries for him are inaccurate in a number of respects ... any more ideas ??
William Spence

You're really warm now ... do you know who inspired Spence to become an entomologist?

Edward Doubleday
Noooo, sorry ... my guy lived by far the larger part of his life in the 18thC ... he was an old man man when Doubleday was born in 1810 ... I don't know much about Doubleday, I'm an 18thC/Georgian era girl lol

Hope this entomological guessing game isn't boring all the non participants I see reading lol

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back