The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whats Your Job??

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I studied architecture, worked for an architect designing large industrial complexes, then for national trust renovating historical buildings. I was a mum full time for a while, then did all sort of jobs, from business manager to driving a taxi . And now I am a fulltime handmaiden to 3 Whippet princesses. :thumbsup: :)

Lida

Hiya, like Jan I'm a radiographer, best part was the 5 yrs paediatrics. Last 12 yrs I've been a sonographer, NHS - don't even go there. On 1st Oct I go part time for the 1st time in my life, to keep my sanity, can't wait.

I've also been a shop assistant, window cleaner and helped out in summer playgroup :devil:

currently I'm training to be a millionaires wife for when OH wins the lottery (can somebody tell me how long this apprenticeship takes ? :- " )

zilloot said:
I was a classical musician (childhood in a practice room), then studied architecture for two years, then worked in a drawing office and bought a horse.. had a car accident and somebody lamed my horse, so I went back to uni and got an MA in English.  Started a Phd, couldn't hack it and now I'm a painter/artist who NEEDS to spend vast amounts of time cuddling my worshiped dogs.  One day I'll have a horse again but I ride for neighbours every week just now. 

That sounds strangely familiar actually (minus the horse bits, although I did ride regularly in my teens). Did music at University (met other half there too), spent more time on art and graphic design for student societies than music; came home and spent a year doing graphic design for the Council in Swansea and getting the Welsh Arts Council to finance an exhibition of my paintings and one-woman show in the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery.

I then went back to Oxford to do masters and dphil; got fed up with that and did a year at Chelsea College of Art. Ended up being a graphic designer at Oxford University Press for 5 years before setting up design business with OH.

Don't really know what the heck I am now - we're moving towards motiongraphics design, animation and sfx for tv/films. Our last job was a Geiger-inspired promo for a Heavy Metal Band, which got straight onto MTV (apparently a great achievement for a band of this kind) . If you'd told me I'd be doing this when I was younger I'd never have believed it! Raises eyebrows with some University friends too :- "

Fiona and Olivia, I haven't worked out how to make money from painting yet either :(

bio1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gosh Elizabeth- that picture is interesting- can I see the whole video please?

OEH said:

Believe me, you don't want to really! REALLY :lol: It's coming off the website as soon as we have something nicer to replace it with :- " Actually James was quite impressed with their musicianship, he helped direct the shoot and the stuff they did inbetween takes was more interesting: "They're wasted on that stuff..." :wacko:

Its on the motiongraphics section of the website:

http://www.basilisk.co.uk

And project all of my own, my first venture into character design/animation and script writing.

billiken.jpg

doll.jpg

Gosh they're amazing- really strange

:( my computer is too slow to download the motion graphics

I have been a hard working Mechanical Engineer all my life. Found myself on the scrap heap at 48 looking at a career as a supermarket trolley technician (w00t) or a fast food crew member (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) .

Woke up one morning and thought Bollocks I’m better than that.

We now have two companies, a manufacturing company and an import company www.machineco.co.uk

To be honest it’s a bit scary because despite what our leaders will tell you :- " we are in recession :eek: , but I now wake up most mornings excited about the new day.

Paul

God my life has been boring compared to everyone elses!!

Sales assistant, bar work (while at College), sub postmistress, book-keeper, grouse/pheasant beater, law accountant and now payroll manager, plus mum to 17 1/2 month old Jenna and 6 month old Byron and Macey and the best mate to OH, and also K9 addict!!

Wish I could draw like Elizabeth........

digzoils said:
To be honest it’s a bit scary because despite what our leaders will tell you :- "  we are in recession :eek: , but I now wake up most mornings excited about the new day.

New media has been in recession since, erm, just after we set up our business :b (excellent timing, yet again). Eventually the rest of the economy seems to be catching up (down?) with us. It still beats the 9-5 (or 8.30 pm as I remember it being most days) tedium. I just watch The Office if I ever feel tempted to go back to it! We actually had Gareth's identical twin in our Production team (w00t)

The weird pics are 3d, computer-generated models, although I think drawing a whole film's worth by hand would be quicker sometimes :- "

I put up fences, shed, carports etc. It's called "CARTMANS ERECTION SERVICE" :lol:

moriarte said:
OEH said:

Believe me, you don't want to really! REALLY :lol: It's coming off the website as soon as we have something nicer to replace it with :- " Actually James was quite impressed with their musicianship, he helped direct the shoot and the stuff they did inbetween takes was more interesting: "They're wasted on that stuff..." :wacko:

Its on the motiongraphics section of the website:

http://www.basilisk.co.uk

Biomechanical are a good up and coming band, on the metal side. They are on quite a large label as well, I expect you will get other offers to do more band videos. I can't view the clip though due to my pants work pc :(

Whip said:
Biomechanical are a good up and coming band, on the metal side. They are on quite a large label as well, I expect you will get other offers to do more band videos. I can't view the clip though due to my pants work pc :(
Yes, but then we might have to do one for Napalm Death as well (w00t) They make BioMechanical sound like Mozart :lol:

Computer programmer for 15 years! :b

anslinmcg said:
Sales assistant, bar work (while at College), sub postmistress, book-keeper, grouse/pheasant beater, law accountant and now payroll manager, [SIZE=21pt]plus mum [/SIZE]to 17 1/2 month old Jenna and 6 month old Byron and Macey and the best mate to OH, and also K9 addict!!

I woudnt say that anslinmcg - thats one VERY important job Id say - Ive done it twice :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
anslinmcg said:
Sales assistant, bar work (while at College), sub postmistress, book-keeper, grouse/pheasant beater, law accountant and now payroll manager, [SIZE=21pt]plus mum [/SIZE]to 17 1/2 month old Jenna and 6 month old Byron and Macey and the best mate to OH, and also K9 addict!!

I woudnt say that anslinmcg - thats one VERY important job Id say - Ive done it twice :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Thank you Janis it is nice to be appreciated o:)

Well . I left school at 15 and started work as a kennel maid at the local Greyhound stadium the next day , It closed down 3 years later :( , but if it hadnt Im sure I would still have been there . Since then Ive done various jobs from Shop work , , manager of a carhire biz , delivery driver , rep for Golden Wonder ( Wonder woman !) Office clerk , admin , In fact Ive been made redundant 5 times (w00t) and within one month ,at the most ,Ive always got another job . usually something Ive not done before :thumbsup:

the strangest job I had wa s deliverying Fishing Maggots (w00t) to tackle shops . In fact im quite a connisuire ( sp) on Maggot rearing :eek: :lol:

I have only worked part time since 1980 when I had my first dog . Jemma , a Greyhound :wub:

For the past year I have worked for a friend in his flower shop . I tend to make the baskets and displays to sell . I love working with plants and flowers and feel I have `come home` as it were ,

Im lucky in the fact I can afford NOT to work full time and spend most of the day with my `gang` ` :wub:

Scott Frodsham said:
Computer programmer for 15 years! :b
I saw what you wrote earlier... and I was quite envious of your amazing job satisfaction and obvious fulfilment :lol:

:clown:

Well I've just left High School, so I spose I'm not actually in the world of work! I am going to Greenhead College next year and will be studying sciences and maths in the hope of becoming a vet! So i spose that should count as something! :thumbsup: Until then me and poppy have to use the bank of mum n dad....although i do need a job with animals for extra experience so if anybody can help?!? i live in huddersfield.

Katie and Poppy the lurcher

+*+*poppy*+*+ said:
Well I've just left High School, so I spose I'm not actually in the world of work! I am going to Greenhead College next year and will be studying sciences and maths in the hope of becoming a vet! So i spose that should count as something! :thumbsup:   Until then me and poppy have to use the bank of mum n dad....although i do need a job with animals for extra experience so if anybody can help?!? i live in huddersfield.

Can't help, but good luck with your work experience and future career :thumbsup: :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back